Almost Daily Beating Of Kids In School

galvheim

Today it came to my knowledge that two of the teachers in my kids school here in Khukhan, Sisaket, gets hit by their teachers on an almost daily basis. This has apparently been going on for a long time. My youngest daughter is 5 years (anubaan), and the oldest is 9 years. They all get hit with a stick for minor things like forgetting a book, not having short enough hair or writing wrong in their homework. I see it's strictly illegal in Thailand to hit kids in school, so where do I go? Direct to the police, or is there another way to go. Is documenting this necessary or is witness testimony from the kids enough? It seems like this is so normal here, since nobody has reacted yet, and since the kids haven't mentioned this before.

Any suggestions?

• Like 2

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai teachers will discipline them with the stick, I have seen it often enough. Am afraid to say that if you complain you might make it worse for others and eventually your own kids.

This is Thailand.

By the way I say a father beating his son with a stick the other day as the kid was spending money and time in the Internet cafe, I witnessed it from about 50 metres away, the kid took a beating, there were loads of people around even me, but my wife told me not to get involved, it is illegal as well like in the UK to hit kids in the street, but as my wife told me not to get involved I didn't, the father stopped and the kid got on his bike and went home, father went strolling into 7/11 and got his shopping and went home shortly afterwards.

Edited by beano2274

I got disciplined with a cane, slipper, lumps of chalk, even a blackboard duster.

I wish to thank those teachers that in the end showed me the errors of my ''silly'' ways. clap2.gif

I remember the duster hitting me straight on, many a time.

• Like 2

I got disciplined with a cane, slipper, lumps of chalk, even a blackboard duster.

I wish to thank those teachers that in the end showed me the errors of my ''silly'' ways. clap2.gif

I remember the duster hitting me straight on, many a time.

You are lucky.....edge on hurt more.

I think it depends on the severity of the beating. For me if it's just a rap on knuckles of whatever then fine. But if we talking actually visible bruises, cuts, scars etc...then certainly a problem. Either way going to the Police definitely seems like the wrong way to go. If the beatings are severe i'd go to the head teacher; if they are not interested in stopping it, then send kids to a different school.

I think you are best off leaving this one alone.

If you have another choice, I would move your children at the earliest opportunity to a school where this doesn't happen. This is truly your only really good option in my opinion.

If circumstances mean you have no choice, then I would speak with the head of the school about the problem first and find out what kind of a deal can be worked out. It might be that they can arrange to make sure your children are disciplined differently. This is an area where going to the police or publicizing the problem may not get the reaction you are hoping for. By speaking with the school administration first, you can gauge the level of support this teacher and his methods enjoys from them. You might find the school is well aware of the problem, doesn't like it, but is unable to do anything about due to circumstances of which you have no knowledge. Unless the teacher has a long history of official reprimands for it, they won't be able to do anything about it anyway. Or you might find the school simply doesn't care, in which case maybe you should go to the authorities. Or, you may realize that this kind of thing is institutional and enjoys broad support. And laws can't fight an institution.

Most importantly, keep a cool head. Since you obviously disagree with this, act immediately to make sure it doesn't happen to your kids. But you have to let other parents decide if this is acceptable for their children. Feel free to talk to them about it, but don't go running off to the authorities until you really understand the situation for what it is.

You can also try contacting these guys who may have more practical advice for you on how to deal with the issue:

http://childlinethailand.org/intervention/school-violence.html

I'm truly sorry you are in this position. It is terrible when someone else you must trust to educate your children teaches them something which you feel is inappropriate. But what is worse is letting them stay in that situation once you know about it. That can cause them to lose respect for you as well.

I think you are best off leaving this one alone.

If you have another choice, I would move your children at the earliest opportunity to a school where this doesn't happen. This is truly your only really good option in my opinion.

If circumstances mean you have no choice, then I would speak with the head of the school about the problem first and find out what kind of a deal can be worked out. It might be that they can arrange to make sure your children are disciplined differently. This is an area where going to the police or publicizing the problem may not get the reaction you are hoping for. By speaking with the school administration first, you can gauge the level of support this teacher and his methods enjoys from them. You might find the school is well aware of the problem, doesn't like it, but is unable to do anything about due to circumstances of which you have no knowledge. Unless the teacher has a long history of official reprimands for it, they won't be able to do anything about it anyway. Or you might find the school simply doesn't care, in which case maybe you should go to the authorities. Or, you may realize that this kind of thing is institutional and enjoys broad support. And laws can't fight an institution.

Most importantly, keep a cool head. Since you obviously disagree with this, act immediately to make sure it doesn't happen to your kids. But you have to let other parents decide if this is acceptable for their children. Feel free to talk to them about it, but don't go running off to the authorities until you really understand the situation for what it is.

You can also try contacting these guys who may have more practical advice for you on how to deal with the issue:

http://childlinethai...l-violence.html

I'm truly sorry you are in this position. It is terrible when someone else you must trust to educate your children teaches them something which you feel is inappropriate. But what is worse is letting them stay in that situation once you know about it. That can cause them to lose respect for you as well.

ORRRRRR, he must find out if his kid(s) are out of order. Causing a problem. wink.png

Some kids are bad and need an occasional beating from parents or teachers, some kids are good and a beating does them a lot of harm.

Only you know your own children & if they deserve this treatment or not.

If you think that your children shouldn't be treated like this, ask yourself how you will protect them from this abuse.

Personally I wouldn't waste time trying to get the school to deal with this problem.

I would move the kids to a better school, and would simply tell the head teacher of their current school why I moved them.

Edited by Mark1971

.. years ago my son took a video of his class teacher not hitting, but bullying, a child in his class.. When the teacher had the cheek to come to our house to complain about lack of respect by my son (since become an army captain and security officer), we just showed him the the video. He changed colour and left. Two years later he had to change house, wife and job. Happened in Switzerland around 1990, so this isn't a uniquely Thai problem.

I was beaten at school also, and I guess it was justified (I got my own back on a bully in front of the cathedral). However it is all too easy to make thing easy for yourself with violence. Get your kid an unobtrusive video apparatus and see what happens when you threaten to put it on youtube...

there ain't much that you can do when there is physical abuse at school but I draw the line with teachers cutting the kids' hair as punishment...our kids are well behaved but it has gotten around that there is a big, fat angry falang that will not tolerate hair cutting and will come to the school with a pair of shears to obtain justice from abusing teachers...(I had the opportunity to talk to the vice head - a chinese woman with good English - regarding another matter with the eldest niece who was <deleted> up about 6-7 years ago and it was very constructive)

my advice in this regard would be not to interfere unless there is an understanding in place with the head teachers...but you have to be 'right in there' as most thai parents don't give a shit and will allow casual and routine abuse of their children from the teachers...

I want my kids to stay in school but not be intimidated or bullied by the staff...the normal schoolyard stuff from the other kids they can handle thmselves...but as a parent you have to be 'active'...and the normal concern by parents in the west is unusual in Thailand and can be a struggle...the kids are just expected to behave...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 2

If the teacher hit my kid I would heir someone to do the same to teacher

Sent from my ST18a using Thaivisa Connect App

Then you know nothing about discipline and your kids being better people for it. But, perhaps your a young guy, protected by the modern mum eh. smile.png

Discipline is one thing.....beating them is another.

You yourself are clearly in no position to lecture others about it, if you think beating a child is okay.

I obviously came from a different era where we were whacked for being out of order, come to think of it, my mum would chase and whack us kids with a copper stick laugh.png , ooooops, you won't know what that is eh. laugh.png

I'm a parent of two elementary school students and would love to believe they are perfect, but that's just not

reality. I don't have a problem with them being disciplined. They need to learn what they can and can't do.

Hopefully they will have less problems later on.

I also teach at the M4 level ( grade 10) and yes in some of the classes the boys have formed gangs

and only want to disrupt the class. I would love to talk to their parents, but it wouldn't do much good because

most of these boys already have little respect for their own parents.

• Like 1

Its not a real beating. Its tough love. Thats how it was when I was at school and it should be bought back in. Kids have it too soft these days. If theyre coming home with black eyes from teachers well thats different.

• Like 1

Personally I don't agree with the teachers doing this, but as the posts above show, everyone's tolerance levels are different. Only YOU know your children and what might adversely affect them. Many kids will be okay, but for some it could really affect their experience of learning and turn them off school, which might come back to bite you down the track. At least one of my children would have been very badly affected if it happened to them. You probably don't have many school choices in the village, so you will likely just have to work within the system.

I agree with you. Someone here thinks like our children are dogs.

Children go to school to get a knowledge, concerning a discipline, I think it should have been better getting some money of parent as a fine for misbehaving of their children. Then I think parents will find a way to sort out this problem.

• Like 1

I agree with you. Someone here thinks like our children are dogs.

Children go to school to get a knowledge, concerning a discipline, I think it should have been better getting some money of parent as a fine for misbehaving of their children. Then I think parents will find a way to sort out this problem.

I know of a school that gives detention to kids and one parent has to go as well ! lol ..... It seems to work very well.
  • Like 1

Most of Thai teachers do discipline them,at primary level. Some kids even deserve it, to be honest. To a certain level of course.

If you'd go to the director of the school, he/she might say something to the teacher who did it, but it could make things worse.

No Thais lose face in front of a foreigner.

You could check if for example Anuban Sisaket are not doing that, which I doubt and send them to this school.

. I'm so used to it, that I've stopped even thinking about it. You can't change the system and that's a part of it.

. I break about 30 bamboo sticks a week and the kids might think the Thais will hit me too..........wai.gif

there ain't much that you can do when there is physical abuse at school but I draw the line with teachers cutting the kids' hair as punishment...our kids are well behaved but it has gotten around that there is a big, fat angry falang that will not tolerate hair cutting and will come to the school with a pair of shears to obtain justice from abusing teachers...(I had the opportunity to talk to the vice head - a chinese woman with good English - regarding another matter with the eldest niece who was <deleted> up about 6-7 years ago and it was very constructive)

my advice in this regard would be not to interfere unless there is an understanding in place with the head teachers...but you have to be 'right in there' as most thai parents don't give a shit and will allow casual and routine abuse of their children from the teachers...

I want my kids to stay in school but not be intimidated or bullied by the staff...the normal schoolyard stuff from the other kids they can handle thmselves...but as a parent you have to be 'active'...and the normal concern by parents in the west is unusual in Thailand and can be a struggle...the kids are just expected to behave...

With the haircutting, the best way to avoid it is to make sure the child has their hair the correct length. Problem solved!!

With the haircutting, the best way to avoid it is to make sure the child has their hair the correct length. Problem solved!!

that goes without saying...coffee1.gif

but there are teachers who have discipline at the top of their agenda rather than imparting knowledge and that have no business in the classroom...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1

We were beaten at school, but it was really a big deal, everybody knew about it days in advance and the guy to be beaten was in a blue funk. This happened about once or twice a term. One or two guys got hardened to it and they generally got thrown out of the school eventually.

Individual teachers also had the right to ask a recalcitrant child if he wanted immediate corporal punishment at his hands or did he prefer to go to 'the beak'. Nobody ever took this second choice of course. The fact was that it was always there as an ultimate recourse and was actually rarely used.

Teachers that use CP regularly are falling down on the job, and I don't mean as individuals but as a group generally.