Newish Iranian Buffet Joint On 2Nd Road Near Boat Bakery Restaurant

Jingthing

I tried this place.

It is the worse Iranian buffet I have ever had!

It is also the best Iranian buffet in Pattaya!

That is because it is the only Iranian buffet in Pattaya.

That all said, at 199 baht including free drinking water, it's not a bad feeding trough!

Here's the skinny, or fatty, depending on what you select from the buffet table:

The cost is 199 baht.

If you're feeling generous, you can pay 200 baht and say Keep the Change!

They serve food at lunch going well into dinner and later. Not sure of exact hours.

What they don't have?

They don't have the best Iranian foods that you would find at a normal Iranian restaurant or a very good Iranian buffet.

Such as the classic Iranian STEWS or KEBABS.

This explains the lowish price.

What they do have?

Lots of stuff. Enough choice to fill your tummy and then some, pleasantly, but blandly.

Rice. Two kinds of Iranian style rice. One is the lima bean and herb style which is very good and quite decent there.

Soup: One Iranian style soup (chicken)

Meats: Chicken legs in a bit of tomato sauce. Fried chicken strips. Fried fish strips (rather tasty).

Variety: Potato croquette kind of thing

Veg: Classic cucumber salad, Potatoes in tomato sauce (not bad), Fresh leaves and scallions in the Iranian style

International tray: Spag with tomato sauce and mince

Thai-ish food: Fried rice, Shrimps with nicely cooked brocolli

I think this place is a nice option. A break from spicy food. Good if you're hungry and not expecting anything gourmet, because you're not going to get it.

Location: 2nd road, a wee bit north of the famous Boat Bakery restaurant

Edited by Jingthing

I'm not sure if this is a thumbs up or a thumbs down, but if Pattaya's most famous restaurant critic says to try it, I think it is worth checking out! smile.png

It's not really either a pro or con. It is what it is. I think it will satisfy many people some of the time. I wouldn't like people who don't know Iranian food to conclude they offer the best of the Iranian table, because they definitely do not, nor are they pretending to. When I went the place was packed with Persians and they seemed happy with the bargain feed. You might think of it at the same general level as the 200 baht-ish Indian buffets for Indian tourists in town. There are a number of Iranian restaurants in town where you can get the classic stews and kebabs, just not here. Edited by Jingthing

".....It is the worse Iranian buffet I have ever had!....

....it's not a bad feeding trough!

.... but blandly......

A break from spicy food. Good if you're hungry and not expecting anything gourmet, because you're not going to get it."

Think I'll carry on giving my 200B to Sizzler when I feel the need for platefuls of non-spicy food.

Or indeed go to the 250B BBQ buffet opposite the Sportsman, or the 200B pizza buffet at Loaf.

These "cheap" ethnic buffet places really need to wake up and smell the drains.

Edited by Darrel

I mis-read the title to this thread....I thought it said "Jewish/Iranian Buffet....and my first thought was what a novel concept, there's somebody thinking outside the box in Pattaya for once..biggrin.png

Edited by Soutpeel

I mis-read the title to this thread....I thought it said "Jewish/Iranian Buffet....and my first was what a novel concept, there's somebody thinking outside the box in Pattaya for once..biggrin.png

Jewish-Iranian food is the BOMB! You should try it. (Yes, it exists.)

http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-life-and-religion/79005/sweet-and-sour

Edited by Jingthing

I'm not sure if this is a thumbs up or a thumbs down, but if Pattaya's most famous restaurant critic says to try it, I think it is worth checking out! smile.png

It's not really either a pro or con. It is what it is. I think it will satisfy many people some of the time. I wouldn't like people who don't know Iranian food to conclude they offer the best of the Iranian table, because they definitely do not, nor are they pretending to. When I went the place was packed with Persians and they seemed happy with the bargain feed. You might think of it at the same general level as the 200 baht-ish Indian buffets for Indian tourists in town. There are a number of Iranian restaurants in town where you can get the classic stews and kebabs, just not here.

A bit confused here JT. In your OP you said it was the only Iranian restaurant in town. Then in your follow up post you said there were a number of Iranian restaurants in town! Never had Iranian food. My Brother in Law is Iranian, has had a fish and chip shop in the Uk for many years, the best fish and chips in Dorset, bar none.
  • Like 1

It's not really either a pro or con. It is what it is. I think it will satisfy many people some of the time. I wouldn't like people who don't know Iranian food to conclude they offer the best of the Iranian table, because they definitely do not, nor are they pretending to. When I went the place was packed with Persians and they seemed happy with the bargain feed. You might think of it at the same general level as the 200 baht-ish Indian buffets for Indian tourists in town. There are a number of Iranian restaurants in town where you can get the classic stews and kebabs, just not here.

A bit confused here JT. In your OP you said it was the only Iranian restaurant in town. Then in your follow up post you said there were a number of Iranian restaurants in town! Never had Iranian food. My Brother in Law is Iranian, has had a fish and chip shop in the Uk for many years, the best fish and chips in Dorset, bar none.

I said:

That is because it is the only Iranian buffet in Pattaya. I was talking about this one buffet place. No regular menu. Only a buffet offering. Take it or leave it.

There are several regular, order from the menu, non-buffet Iranian restaurants in town.

Persian food can be great. It is subtle, light, and elegant at its best. In my view, there are no exceptional Iranian restaurants in town, but most of them are serviceable.

Went in on my back from eating elsewhere and had a look.

I agree that it looks mediocre and I would also say boring.

For my 200B I would rather go to a mediocre Indian buffet where at least it wouldn't be bland as well. Sizzler also seems much better value to me for the same price.

YMMV

For my 200B I would rather go to a mediocre Indian buffet where at least it wouldn't be bland as well. Sizzler also seems much better value to me for the same price.

YMMV

Maybe if you'd gone in standing upright you would have had a better view of the place. rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

Maybe if you'd gone in standing upright you would have had a better view of the place.

Indeed. smile.png It should have read "on my way back".

I can't really be expected to still be upright after supper though.

YMMV

Yes it looks mediocre and boring. It is mediocre and boring. But oddly, for some inexplicable reason, the overall experience of it was a bit better than it looked. I still think worth 199 baht if you're in the mood for what it is, which I'm trying to say, you won't really know until you actually eat there (as opposed to just looking at how boring it looks).

In it's defence, there were about 10 people eating in there when I looked in. Given that the room is quite small this made it look fairly full, and so there was quite a lot of Arabic cafe-style ambience.

In it's defence, there were about 10 people eating in there when I looked in. Given that the room is quite small this made it look fairly full, and so there was quite a lot of Arabic cafe-style ambience.

Yeah it was fun scene when I was there. I'm just saying the flavor experience is a little better than it all looks and also if you avoid the fried foods you get a pretty healthy meal as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Looked into this place again this evening, as I was passing by on my way somewhere else.

The number of dishes and the (apparent) quality thereof has increased hugely since the last time I looked.

I still haven't actually eaten there but I will do so soon. Still 199B.

I am curious if there is a difference in dishes between lunch and dinner. The time I ate there was late lunch time. I want to emphasize again the food at this buffet whether you're familiar with Iranian food, or not, is NOT challenging to westerners. If anything, not challenging enough ...

.... it's ....

sorry.gif

I can't believe that I actually used a spurious apostrophe. Over-exposure to English-language media, I suppose.

I should be shot.

I gave you a "Like This" for spotting your own error before anyone else.

Then I "unliked" you for being pedantic.

Edited by chickenslegs

I can supply an update on this place.

They have indeed greatly expanded their offerings and for the same price, 199 baht.

This time in ADDITION to everything mentioned in my first report, they also had two classic Iranian stews, one a yellow lentil with beef chunks and the other the most famous Iranian dish Ghormeh Sabzi, a stew with greens, beans, and beef chunks. There were also additional fried items including some kind of greenish cake which I can't identify but it was interesting. The soup on offer was the highlight of the meal, including strong lemon flavor, al dente barley, and shredded chicken. The rice flavors (2) included a yellow rice with dried berries on top, very traditionally Iranian and very luxurious. No, for 199 they are never going to have filet mignon kebabs. Overall, the food still is on the bland side and not world class quality, but I think this might now be the best buffet deal in town of any ethnicity.

My theory now is that the offerings were more limited before because they were probably getting up to gear and training the cooks, etc. I reckon in future you should expect the more expanded offerings and certainly some classic Iranian STEWS as mentioned.

One caveat, if you come and you see the stews and there are no beef chunks in them, don't assume they are veggie dishes, because they're not. Assume someone else fished out the beef chunks! They were sparse in there, which is actually authentic, but I think it's a problem for a buffet, if you get my drift.

All this at ... LUNCH.

Edited by Jingthing

I can supply an update on this place.

They have indeed greatly expanded their offerings and for the same price, 199 baht.

This time in ADDITION to everything mentioned in my first report, they also had two classic Iranian stews, one a yellow lentil with beef chunks and the other the most famous Iranian dish Ghormeh Sabzi, a stew with greens, beans, and beef chunks. There were also additional fried items including some kind of greenish cake which I can't identify but it was interesting. The soup on offer was the highlight of the meal, including strong lemon flavor, al dente barley, and shredded chicken. The rice flavors (2) included a yellow rice with dried berries on top, very traditionally Iranian and very luxurious. No, for 199 they are never going to have filet mignon kebabs. Overall, the food still is on the bland side and not world class quality, but I think this might now be the best buffet deal in town of any ethnicity.

My theory now is that the offerings were more limited before because they were probably getting up to gear and training the cooks, etc. I reckon in future you should expect the more expanded offerings and certainly some classic Iranian STEWS as mentioned.

All this at ... LUNCH.

Sounds excellent for the price.

This time in ADDITION to everything mentioned in my first report, they also had two classic Iranian stews, one a yellow lentil with beef chunks and the other the most famous Iranian dish Ghormeh Sabzi, a stew with greens, beans, and beef chunks.

Yes, those were amongst the things that I spotted. They certainly looked far more interesting than the stuff I saw last time, but I still get the impression that they would be disappointingly bland to the taste. They had a nice bowl of spring onions (scallions) in the buffet which would add some interest, but nothing at all that looked spicy, not even a hot dip for the fried chicken. (OK, appearances can be deceptive.)

I can't/wont eat bland food any more.

I eat there today. No strong spices at all but tasty enough and much better value than the Indian buffets around town.

I avoided the chicken dishes and the spaghetti and the cold chips, but there were plenty of other things and all the trays were promptly refilled.

• Like 1