Found This In The House Last Night ....

pattayadingo

Centipedes and mossies are the only things I kill.

Fortunately, I've only ever seen 2 - one on the beach and one on the path next to my house. I attacked the one next to my path with a shovel - it didn't die easily...

Funnily enough, centipedes are the only thing that really frighten me here in Thailand! I stamp my feet when walking in undergrowth (to frighten the snakes away) and am wary of snakes being around at night, but centipedes could be hiding anywhere.

Edit - Just remembered I kill ticks and ants (or at least the monthly mossie spray kills the ants) too.

Edited by F1fanatic

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was downstairs once with the BiL and I picked up my computer bag to find one of the big monsters underneath (the light colored big ones) and then I screamed and the BiL stomped on it's heid with his bare foot and killed it...he lives out in a jungle area and they are a common occurence...

we then picked up the carcass and the BiL said calmly: 'a big fellow and he could have caused a lot of damage'...

ick...

and I always check my shoes before I put them on and then the step daughter she sez: 'let's go, tutsi! whaddaya waitin' for?...' and then I tried to say that I was lookin' fer centipedes...the locals have got a lot more confidence than old white men...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I had no idea the bite is that painful or I would have dispatched the beast to Buddha.

When I looked on the internet to find out what it was and a little more about it, what I read said they bite but gave me the impression the bite is not painful. From the replies above I now know better. That one in the house was a good 8 or 9 inches long and quite broad. It was motoring along at a good speed too.

I always shake clothes before wearing them and tap my shoes on the floor to see if anything is hiding in them too. Better safe than sorry with so many things here that can bite.

Yes, they are extremely speedy. I always carry something to whack them with when outside, but often they run so fast, they escape before I can do them in.

Had one in my bath robe last year, fecker bit me right on the top of my arse when I tied the cord. excruciating pain for a few hours and a sore swollen arse cheek for a couple of days.

It could have been worse!

Much worse... large, sore, swollen head whistling.gif

Tip: if you get bitten, take an antihistamine tablet IMMEDIATELY. A friend of mine discovered this - usually allergy/anti sickness pills, they can reduce swelling.

It saved my friends life when he got bitten on the neck, and the swelling would've cut off his airpipe.

It won't make the pain go away any faster, but it will help the swelling which can sometimes be the more dangerous thing.

"Some species of centipede can be hazardous to humans because of their bite. Although a bite to an adult human is usually very painful and may cause severe swelling, chills, fever, and weakness, it is unlikely to be fatal. Bites can be dangerous to small children and those with allergies to bee stings. The bite of larger centipedes can induce anaphylactic shock in such people. Smaller centipedes usually do not puncture human skin."

Wikipedia

"The centipede is very common in the US. Its body is made up of up to 150 segments with a pair of legs for each segment. The head has long antennae and a pair of large claw like structures. These claws carry the venom glands. While centipedes are for the most part not fatal to humans, some of the large or giant species can be very dangerous to children."

source: http://buzz-net.blogspot.com/2007/12/top-10-animals-you-didnt-know-were.html

http://www.flickr.co...157602015261815

Edited by mistitikimikis

nasty little things a flip flop sorts them out

I doubt that as it was v hard to kill one with my spade...

Edit - Are you confusing the (harmless) millipede with the centipede?

Edited by F1fanatic

Had one in my bath robe last year, fecker bit me right on the top of my arse when I tied the cord. excruciating pain for a few hours and a sore swollen arse cheek for a couple of days.

Oh my, yes it could have.

Imagine an Irate farang in the emergency ward grasping a swollen meat whistle and demanding immediate attention

Ain't gonna get many people queuing up to suck the poison out for you either..........sick.gif

Oh my, yes it could have.

Imagine an Irate farang in the emergency ward grasping a swollen meat whistle and demanding immediate attention

Ain't gonna get many people queuing up to suck the poison out for you either..........sick.gif

You would in pattaya as long as u had a 1000 thb :D

I kill little brown scorpions. mosquitoes and centipedes. The big black scorpions can go on their way. I don't allow anyone to molest my tokays because they enjoy eating the centipedes. Since my tokays are protected by me, I have not seen a centipede for over a year.

I'm sure these are the things that we constantly hear horror stories about, even here in the safe and hallowed halls of TV. A few people die don't they, and many are hospitalised quite dramatically?

Got stung about 14 years ago - bit me on the heel through hard skin and the punctures bled. Had intense pain and my entire leg swelled up. I reckon it took a full week before the swelling and pain was finally gone.

Now I kill the buggers on sight. Sometimes a whole nest has hatched and you get loads of the little ones running off in all directions over an hour or so. I kill them all - they're evil bastards. But they do take some killing!

I kill little brown scorpions. mosquitoes and centipedes. The big black scorpions can go on their way. I don't allow anyone to molest my tokays because they enjoy eating the centipedes. Since my tokays are protected by me, I have not seen a centipede for over a year.

In the last 3 months I have had scorpions, millipedes and now this centipede, but to me the worst of all are those flying cockroaches. I hate cockroaches with a vengeance ever since I worked in a bakery as a teenager and we had to kill them in their hundreds by stamping on them. All that crunching and blood underfoot, Yeuk !!

In the last 3 months I have had scorpions, millipedes and now this centipede, but to me the worst of all are those flying cockroaches. I hate cockroaches with a vengeance ever since I worked in a bakery as a teenager and we had to kill them in their hundreds by stamping on them. All that crunching and blood underfoot, Yeuk !!

sounds a bit messy ,theres plenty of posions out there but probably not allowed to use near food baking area

Wifeys mum spent 2 days in hospital after a nasty reaction to a bite.

I chopped one in half with a weed whacker when cutting the grass and it still went for me although I cant blame it really after what I'd done to it:-)

The thing was huge, 30 cm long after it had wriggled it's last and I plucked up the courage to measure it.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by apetley

That would explain why I've only seen one near my house - I've lots of tokays!

I've always liked tokays and like them even more now smile.png .

Haven't seen any scorpions either - thank God. Seen lots of snakes and millipedes though.

Edited by F1fanatic

That would explain why I've only seen one near my house - I've lots of tokays!

I've always liked tokays and like them even more now smile.png .

Haven't seen any scorpions either - thank God. Seen lots of snakes and millipedes though.

Believe it r not I once saw some locals after they had killed a large takarp put it into a large bottle of lao khow. They said that if you left it for a week or two, and then drank the lao khow it made it far more potent, :Lao khpw is poisonous enough as it is, what it mut do to the body with the addition of centipede venom heaven knows,

• 1 month later...

my wife found a dead ( must have starved to death ) millipede in the room she has her clothes in. She says they come in to get out of the rain.

Gives me shivers to think that it might have hidden in something she put on.

Be careful out there!

Millipedes are harmless :)

my wife found a dead ( must have starved to death ) millipede in the room she has her clothes in. She says they come in to get out of the rain.

Be careful out there!

Millipedes are harmless smile.png

Quite. Millipedes don't bother me at all, but centipedes!! Still frighten the life out of me.

something like this crawl out regularly between the logs in my outdoor shower area when i turn on the shower. usually i don't have my glasses on in the morning and can't really see well. have not stepped on one yet, but some close calls.

could be a millipede, not sure. anyone know how to tell the difference quickly?

Edited by jacktrip

Be careful out there!

Millipedes are harmless smile.png

Quite. Millipedes don't bother me at all, but centipedes!! Still frighten the life out of me.

Me too now. I'll leave a light on in future when I go out and I'll take my shoes off after I've looked around :)