Found This In The House Last Night ....

pattayadingo

something like this crawl out regularly between the logs in my outdoor shower area when i turn on the shower. usually i don't have my glasses on in the morning and can't really see well. have not stepped on one yet, but some close calls.

could be a millipede, not sure. anyone know how to tell the difference quickly?

Millipedes are long and have one hell of a lot of legs that you can barely see. Centipedes have few legs and you can see them clearly. Edit - they stick out from the body. Sorry, another edit - millipedes curl up when frightened, the 2 centipedes I have seen would not be able to curl up, and wouldn't do so anyway - they'd attack. And finally, you'll probably see lots of millipedes, you'll see far fewer centipedes (in my experience).

Once you see a centipede you will never confuse them again!

Edited by F1fanatic

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

something like this crawl out regularly between the logs in my outdoor shower area when i turn on the shower. usually i don't have my glasses on in the morning and can't really see well. have not stepped on one yet, but some close calls.

Millipedes are long and have one hell of a lot of legs that you can barely see. Centipedes have few legs and you can see them clearly. Edit - they stick out from the body. Sorry, another edit - millipedes curl up when frightened, the 2 centipedes I have seen would not be able to curl up, and wouldn't do so anyway - they'd attack. And finally, you'll probably see lots of millipedes, you'll see far fewer centipedes (in my experience).

and they are usually moving at around mach 8

Thanks for the explanation. I was assuming that they were all bad, as if I make a mistake it'll be a lot of pain for me.

I was out in the fields cutting grass with a sickel when one ran up my arm I batted it off while jumping in the air and landed on top of it it bit me on the big toe and I couldn't walk for a week I didn't even get the satisfaction of killing it it sneaked off into the grass

My local shop buys them 5 - 10 baht each they put them into law kaaw

those bastids are nasty and I've found a few underneath furniture and etc in the downstairs areas....I always kill them with a strong pesticide 'cause if I don't they'll always find their way back into the house and we got small kids around...

You have kids in the house and use strong pesticide? Are you trying to kill your kids as well?

those bastids are nasty and I've found a few underneath furniture and etc in the downstairs areas....I always kill them with a strong pesticide 'cause if I don't they'll always find their way back into the house and we got small kids around...

You have kids in the house and use strong pesticide? Are you trying to kill your kids as well?

agree there! The cases of tourists dying from pesticides used for bed bugs freaks me out! A quick broom to its head is much better solution I think.

I've never killed bugs or nothing I take the time for move them gentle and keep out of my area or my home, is not rational but I believe that in some point the bugs feel not threatened and they learn that is not their territory.

Only a very few bugs bite me in all my life

I've never killed bugs or nothing I take the time for move them gentle and keep out of my area or my home, is not rational but I believe that in some point the bugs feel not threatened and they learn that is not their territory.

Only a very few bugs bite me in all my life

These are not bugs. They are the size of a small snake. Vicious too if you read some of the replies.

Remove them gently if you wish but if they make a move for your big toe or up your leg to the small head, you will want to kill them next time around.

And welcomeani.gif . I see this is your first post smile.png

I hate threads like this, i can't stop reading them and the further i get in the thread, the more paranoid i get tongue.png

laugh.png Know the feeling - but its probably best to be paranoid about centipedes, they have one hell of a bite!

re ..

I hate threads like this, i can't stop reading them and the further i get in the thread, the more paranoid i get

be afraid !.. be very afraid ... coz they are everywhere : (

i found this dead little nasty around the moat in chiang mai today and the one thing i

noticed about it was there were no ants eating it or anywhere near it but they ate this

roadkill snake from dead to a skeleton in 14 days so do they know something

about the centipedes that we dont ?

dave2

post-42592-0-57826400-1343660072_thumb.j

post-42592-0-57662200-1343660119_thumb.j

post-42592-0-77820800-1343660175_thumb.j

post-42592-0-75573700-1343660230_thumb.j

Probably one of the most painful bites in the insect world.....................blink.png

Except that is not an insect. I have been bitten more than a dozen times, 3 different times while sleeping, had one in a shoe, always check your shoes! one in a glove, a few times pulling weeds in a garden. Was bitten on the back of my head while sleeping, my scalp swelled for a few days but the lynmph nodes in my neck were swollen for 6 months. I respect them and leave them alone if seen outside, remember, you are never bitten by the one that you see.

Granted Daoyal, even though they are indeed arthropods, they still come under creepy-crawlies which I class as insects in my little world........laugh.png

Real nasty little critters though, and should be treated with respect, not like the nutters in the video...............thumbsup.gif !

100% this one has had it's stinger removed.

re ..

I hate threads like this, i can't stop reading them and the further i get in the thread, the more paranoid i get

be afraid !.. be very afraid ... coz they are everywhere : (

i found this dead little nasty around the moat in chiang mai today and the one thing i

noticed about it was there were no ants eating it or anywhere near it but they ate this

roadkill snake from dead to a skeleton in 14 days so do they know something

about the centipedes that we dont ?

dave2

Very interesting Dave........talking about the ants totally ignoring a free meal.

I have the utmost respect for these horrible creepy crawlies.

2 of my nephews have been bitten by them on separate occasions and both times they were in severe pain for about 4 days until the swelling and the pain subsided.

Kill on sight.........warning, the bigger they are the faster they move.