Urine Retention

phuturatica

For the last few weeks I have been suffering from pretty bad urine retention. It comes and goes in waves, sometimes lasting for hours on end or all day. :(

I have tried taking antibiotics (cefelexin) to see if it would alleviate symptoms in case it was a urinary tract infection causing it but it doesn't seem to be helping.

I have suffered urine retention all my life due to chronic kidney disease and I have been catheterized many times before in the past but only for acute urine retention. This doesn't seem serious enough for it to warrant a trip to the hospital, however it is happening much more frequently than usual.

Anyone have any alternative treatments or anything I could try to get rid of it?

And before anyone asks, I have been eating dried cranberries, drinking lots of water, no alcohol or caffeine and tried pelvic muscle exercises.

UTI will not cause retention (although retention can lead to a UTI).

There is a difference between retention of urine in the bladder and retention within the kidneys. And a difference between urine retention vs. not making any/much urine.

Given your pre-existing renal disease this is not something you should be trying to self treat, need to see your nephrologist. Soon.