Samet Tackles Its Garbage Problem

Lite Beer

Samet tackles its garbage problem

Pratch Rujivanarom

The Nation

30183857-01_big.jpg

KOH SAMET: -- Boasting superb beaches with reasonable proximity to Bangkok, Koh Samet in Rayong has welcomed a large number of entrepreneurs who start up resorts and shops to facilitate tourists. In the 3,552 square km area and 100 km of beach connect to the Gulf of Thailand, the islands has housed nearly 40 registered resorts spanning through the 12 famous beaches.

Waste disposal has gone unchecked for two decades. On this medium-sized island located off the coast of Rayong, the island which is part of Khao Laem Ya-Mu Ko Samet National Park is now haunted by waste problems. With many tourists and businesses carelessly dumping garbage all over the place, Samet has to deal with six tonnes of waste a day. Such is about to change with the initiatives participated by some business owners and PTT Group, to help Samet achieve its goal to become Thailand's first "green island".

To tackle the critical garbage problem on Rayong's Samet Island, degradable waste is being turned into fertiliser and biodegradable plastic being used to keep the famous tourist destination clean.

"In the past we just buried the wastes in the landfill or ferried it to the mainland. The island was very dirty and flies were everywhere," Deputy Rayong Governor Anurak Klaikham said.

But that situation started to change after PTT Group, acknowledging the island's garbage problem, built a plant to make fertiliser from degradable wastes last year. The facility can reduce waste on the island and make a profit for the local community from selling fertilisers.

"Since the fertiliser factory opened, we can manage the waste better than before. We have also introduced waste segregation for businesses and local communities on the island to separate degradable waste, which can be used to produce fertiliser, from the other rubbish, which is burnt," said Thapanik Sukkrajang, owner of the island's landfill.

However, the facility didn't run perfectly during its first year of the operation.

Garbage for fertiliser production was contaminated by non-biodegradable wastes such as plastic bags, tubes and plastic glass.

"Businesses still don't separate waste well. Most of the businesses' employees are Cambodians who frequently change jobs. When new employees start working, they don't know how to segregate the waste," Thapanik said. "A lack of public awareness among the tourists is a factor too."

To help the situation, the National Innovation Agency and PTT joined forces to produce biodegradable plastic bags. With this new material, islanders can separate waste more easily. Biodegradable plastic bags will be used to load degradable waste, and they would be transported to the fertiliser plant.

Samet Village Health Volunteers have also worked hard to teach business owners and islanders to separate waste correctly every Tuesday. Recycling bins have been placed all around the island for tourists to use.

It will take some time when the island will become as "green" as it wants to be.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-10

"Businesses still don't separate waste well. Most of the businesses' employees are Cambodians who frequently change jobs. When new employees start working, they don't know how to segregate the waste," Thapanik said. "A lack of public awareness among the tourists is a factor too."

Classic, its the Cambodians and the tourists making a mess. We have never seen any Thai people dropping litter anywhere have we?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Excellent, I have seen the slow steady trash and pollution, and then the debris from the Bangkok flood washing up in trash tides.

I try to rake my local beaches with an ATC dragging the beach, but the darn plastic bags keep snagging and sometimes throwing me.

Somethings better than nothing and this is something. Great step to accountability and sustainability! I plan to go again now to show my support, Koh Samet was my honeymoon isle years back when the fireworks with the wife were of the frisky nature, now..don't ask!

• 3 weeks later...

Let me tell you the polluters of the island are not Cambodians and Tourists but the Thais who live here. How they can be so short sighted is beyond me. They have a little goldmine here but if they dont change their attitude towards waste disposal people are going to stop coming here.

They probably clean up once a year and its back to square one 3 months later! 7/11 dont help. Why do i need a plastic bag for a bottle of water or a pack of cigarettes?

• 2 weeks later...

I live on a small island. 99% of the trash on the beaches is from fishing boats. I've been on many boats and have seen it many times. You're finished with a plastic bag? Throw it overboard. Cans, plastic bottles, rice bags, empty cigarette packs... throw them overboard.

If you're concerned about tourists throwing their trash on the street, here's an idea... PUT SOME F'ING TRASH CANS OUTSIDE. I'm always perplexed at how few trash cans there are outside of Bangkok.

Classic, its the Cambodians and the tourists making a mess. We have never seen any Thai people dropping litter anywhere have we?

Many Thai tourists, especially at the weekend from BKK

• 2 months later...

Lots of finger pointing. That's unfortunate.

I think the key is that they are starting to do something about a problem. I walk the road daily, and i can see the trash cans at the trail heads for people to use instead of just tossing the rubbish on the ground. Very nice. The road leading into the village is boarding on horrible and stinks to high heaven. Not very nice.

I think its important to remember that a "national park" in a developing country has different meaning than a "national park" in a developed country. I've seen some of the parks in the north TL, and they are closer to what i'm familiar with in the states, but its still different.

Regarding the Thai workers here on the island, its hard to understand the motivations of someone making one tenth or one 20th the pay of some of the retired expat folks. They are just looking to make enough to live. Economically depressed people are normally less interested in how green things are. And i admit the only experience i have is from knowing people in or having lived in east and south LA, North Nashville, poorer parts of Alexandria, VA (oxymoron i know!), and the people of the smokey mountain ranges. From my experience, ecological concern highly correlate to economic standing.

I can tell you things are improving, and i can also tell you there's a LONG way to go.

I'm officially off my soap box :)