Khratim (Or Gratim) Trees - Anybody Grow Them?

loong

Sorry, but I can't remember the English or Latin name for these trees, but they are a legume tree that fruit with a very thin pod of seeds. Leaves look quite similar to Tamarind.

I have a couple growing on my small plot and when they drop seeds, they grow very easily. I'm forever pulling them out.

They grow very quickly and often have to be chopped back. I would try to get rid of them, but the Missus likes to eat the seeds.

I was wondering if anybody actually grows these. Apparently they root quite deep, so the leaves etc could be used as a green manure, bringing up nutrients too deep for most plants. as they grow quite quickly, they could be chopped back and used to make charcoal on site, creating an income. Charcoal dust etc could be returned to the soil as a soil improvement. A certain amount of ash would be created, improving the pottasium content of the soil.

I don't know if this would make economical sense, but it does seem that there is a possibility of making a small income from a small section of your land while improving the quality of your soil. Especially if you have been having recurring desease problems with your usual crop.

My main concern would be that if once introduced, it became an all out war to get rid of it as it is extremely invasive.

Has anybody actually tried this?

Have many growing on the family plot. They do grow very quickly... we have them cut to about 6 inches from the ground every few months. The fellow who cuts them trims the branches which I burn, and he keeps the trunk as sells it to the local charcoal people.

Really a nuisance in a way as they can be too invasive and could take over if left alone.

BAYBOY

In our area they are already a problem, particularly near the river, I guess their seeds are spread that way.

I have grown some, but you have to keep on top of them & cut them back before the seeds mature.

They are not that difficult to remove if the soil is soft, dig down about 18 inches & cut the long central tap root, remove the stump.

On hard rocky ground its a bitch.

Everyone around here loves them and I have seen a few famers that gather the seeds to feed cattle and pigs. Our rabbits love them too. Many around here use them for staking beans, but they rot out in a year.

• Like 1

It is Leucaena leucocephala

The question should be: Who is Not growing them?

I have only a small garden and they pop up regularly, but not as much as other similar looking plants (so be careful not to judge the Gratein too quickly, as they grow fast, but not too fast)

http://en.wikipedia....na_leucocephala

a great website on forages in the tropics:

http://www.tropicalforages.info/key/Forages/Media/Html/Leucaena_leucocephala.htm

Edited by mo99

• 2 weeks later...

Leucaena leucocephala

Common names: Leucaena;

Krathin (Thai)

Leucaena is a versatile multipurpose tree. It can be used for forage, firewood, charcoal, posts, green manure, as a living fence and for shade. It can also be used to make paper and for furniture making. The young green shoots can be eaten by humans. There are three main types, common, intermediate and giant.

A small aphid-like sucking insect, the leucaena psyllid (Heteropsylla cubana) has destroyed a lot of leucaena trees in Australia, Southeast Asia and the Pacific Islands. There are now resistant forms available with Tarramba the most popular cultivar used in Australia. Over 200,000 rai have been planted in Australia for dairy cows and fattening cattle.

Leucaena establishes fairly slowly, particularly on acid or low nutrient status soils. For best results, leucaena should be planted on well-drained soils with a pH above 5.5 and with a deep soil profile. Leucaena does not grow very well on wet and on low fertlity soils. It does not like waterlogging or flooding.

Seeds must be scarified by placing the seeds in boiling water for 4 seconds and then drain for 4 seconds before spreading out to dry and cool. Seed must be inoculated unless it is being planted where leucaena has grown before.

For forage, leucaena is usually planted in rows 2-5 m apart. Close planting is good for cut and carry systems and wider spacings for grazing systems. Leucaena can also be transplanted as young seedlings when the seedlings are 3-5 months old.

Leucaena is best grazed in a rotational grazing system; 4 weeks grazing with 4

weeks rest.

Fed it to dairy cows and they produce more milk. Fed it to chickens and they produce rich egg yolks. Fed it to young cattle and they pout on more weight.