Driving License Renewal

nickptty

1) 2 "affidavit of residence" certificate from Immigration Office, for both car and Motobike

2) Copy of your Passport Face Page and copy of your valid Visa

3) Medical Certificate (physical) no more than a month old.

4) Your Old licenses

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

1) 2 "affidavit of residence" certificate from Immigration Office, for both car and Motobike

I was with someone a few weeks ago who produced one certificate and one copy, and that was acceptable as he was renewing both licences at exactly the same time. Same for the medical certificate.

YMMV on the day, of course.

Edited by Darrel

2) Copy of your Passport Face Page and copy of your valid Visa

3) Medical Certificate (physical) no more than a month old.

4) Your Old licenses

under 1....if you have a WP, you dont need the letter just copy of your WP

I renewed mine a few months back although in Rayong, not Pattaya and didnt need a medical cert either

I just did a 5 year renewal.

Medical certficates were not required for the renewal. (I did do them but they did not sight or take them)

1. Residence certficate (3 passport photos and 400 baht for 2 residence certificates)

2. Copy of passport information page (face page)

3. Copy of visa page and entry stamp page

4. Copy, front and back of previous license

Note: I was told a complete set of duplicate documents for each license was needed so I supplied the lot and they used the lot. Rather than risk rejection better to have more than not enough.

• Like 1

I forgot to add, I got there 10 AM and I was out just after 1 PM so just over 3 hours to do all the tests and watch the movie. Lost half an hour whilst they had lunch.

What time do they break for lunch? Sounds best to show up after that for the renewal.

Also I'm told that a yellow book will work for proof of residence and I'll be using that instead of the immigration letters.

There seems to be a slight difference if you come to renew before your license expires and if you wait till after it's expired.

it sounds like if you wait till after then you get an extra year on the license. Does anyone know the downside of doing it after it expires (like a week).

I forgot to add, I got there 10 AM and I was out just after 1 PM so just over 3 hours to do all the tests and watch the movie. Lost half an hour whilst they had lunch.

What time do they break for lunch? Sounds best to show up after that for the renewal.

Also I'm told that a yellow book will work for proof of residence and I'll be using that instead of the immigration letters.

There seems to be a slight difference if you come to renew before your license expires and if you wait till after it's expired.

it sounds like if you wait till after then you get an extra year on the license. Does anyone know the downside of doing it after it expires (like a week).

If you have a five year license you can renew up to six months after expiry. Of course best to do ASAP just in case. BTW dress conservatively. I was told to go away and change as my shorts were not long enough.

• Like 1

I just did a 5 year renewal.

Medical certficates were not required for the renewal. (I did do them but they did not sight or take them)

1. Residence certficate (3 passport photos and 400 baht for 2 residence certificates)

2. Copy of passport information page (face page)

3. Copy of visa page and entry stamp page

4. Copy, front and back of previous license

Note: I was told a complete set of duplicate documents for each license was needed so I supplied the lot and they used the lot. Rather than risk rejection better to have more than not enough.

Right, no medical cert required for renewal.

Edited by JSixpack

If you have a five year license you can renew up to six months after expiry. Of course best to do ASAP just in case. BTW dress conservatively. I was told to go away and change as my shorts were not long enough.

And were you you required to take any extra tests or provide medical certs or anything since you renewed after it expired? I have been told that after expiration might require you to site through some movie and take some tests versus before expiry you just provide the basic paperwork.

Of course, after expiry gets you and extra year on the 5 year license. Trying to weigh the benefits vs going before or after expiry.

On the day they broke for lunch at just after 12.30pm. Were back at 1pm. My licenses had expired by 2 and a half Months and the renewal gave me 5 years and 10 Months, up to my birthdate. Aparently you can renew before expiry but I can't remember if it is 30 or 60 days before.

There was about 60 to 70 people all renewing licenses. Everyone had to do the same tests, Thai and Farangs. The tests were:

1. Sitting in the chair, light goes green step on acelerator and when lights go red put your foot on the brake ASAP and before it gets to the line. (you get 2 goes at this, if you fail on the second you go home.) 2 people failed this one.

2. Sitting in the same chair, there is a box about 1 foot square 5 metres in front of you. There are 2 pegs inside the box, you use a hand held remote control and you have to line up the 2 pegs next to each other in the box. This one is easy.

3. The perifial (sp) vision test. Put your nose up to a steal contraption and when you see the lights coming from the left and right then you indicated to the tester when you see them.

4. Color test. They do this by you looking at a small trafic signal box. The tester just flicks it through it's reds, yellows and greens and you say the colors you see.

5. A boring saftey movie. It's more like a Thai soapie but it does send a message I guess. About an hour.

Edited by Ling Kae
  • Like 1

On the day they broke for lunch at just after 12.30pm. Were back at 1pm. My licenses had expired by 2 and a half Months and the renewal gave me 5 years and 10 Months, up to my birthdate. Aparently you can renew before expiry but I can't remember if it is 30 or 60 days before.

And from you previous post it sounds like they made you watch the movie and take the test.

Would anyone that has recently renewed prior to expiration confirm if they were made to watch the movie and take the test. Spending the extra few hours there would be a big negative to me for renewing after expiration just to get the extra year of validity.

And from you previous post it sounds like they made you watch the movie and take the test.

Would anyone that has recently renewed prior to expiration confirm if they were made to watch the movie and take the test. Spending the extra few hours there would be a big negative to me for renewing after expiration just to get the extra year of validity.

Renewed my 5 year car license last week prior to expiration and did not need medical but did do the reflex and vision tests as well as sit through an awful movie that lasted an hour. I did not need a photo as they used their own machine to produce a hard plastic license with picture embedded. Edited by villagefarang
  • Like 1

Renewed mine 5 year car license last week prior to expiration and did not need medical but did do the reflex and vision tests as well as sit through an awful movie that lasted an hour. I did not need a photo as they used their own machine to produce a hard plastic license with picture embedded.

Thanks for your input. It sounds like the movie is now required for everyone renewing. This must be new as I have renewed before and never be made to watch any movie. The vision and reflex test is quick and painless.

It sounds like it's better for me to wait a few days after the license expires to gain a full extra year on the validity.

Thanks for all the postings... I will certainly come back and post my experience as well.

• Like 1

And were you you required to take any extra tests or provide medical certs or anything since you renewed after it expired? I have been told that after expiration might require you to site through some movie and take some tests versus before expiry you just provide the basic paperwork.

Of course, after expiry gets you and extra year on the 5 year license. Trying to weigh the benefits vs going before or after expiry.

You do the sight tests and watch the movie even if you renew before it expires.

If you renew after expiry you are driving around illegally without a license or insurance.

Edited by PattayaParent

The license is valid for 5 years from your birthday so I don't see how you can get an extra year?

Well, if you show up after your birthday you get 5 years + the extra 11 months till your birthday. If they didn't do it that way then if you showed up after it expired then you wouldn't even get 5 years.

My licenses had expired by 2 and a half Months and the renewal gave me 5 years and 10 Months, up to my birthdate.
Edited by Jayman

The license is valid for 5 years from your birthday so I don't see how you can get an extra year?

Well, if you show up after your birthday you get 5 years + the extra 11 months till your birthday. If they didn't do it that way then if you showed up after it expired then you wouldn't even get 5 years.

Noticed that in another post so edited mine.

You still get 5 years if you renew it before it expires as it's valid until your birthday, so renewing 2 months before expiry you get 5 years and 2 months.

• Like 1

Its actually 12 months on a 5 year according to the nice lady in Rayong office, the shorts must be a Pattaya thing...I did my renewal in shorts as the did all the Thai males who were watching the movie...thumbsup.gif

Your watching the movie and doing the vision tests...irrespective...its a condition for renewal

Its actually 12 months on a 5 year according to the nice lady in Rayong office, the shorts must be a Pattaya thing...I did my renewal in shorts as the did all the Thai males who were watching the movie...thumbsup.gif

Looks like some offices have different policies - Pattaya office was definitely max 6 months from expiry. As a matter of detail my shorts were above the knee. it's okay at knee level - TIT

I renewed my 1 year temp motorbike license yesterday. Showed up about 9:30am. I had the resident cert, health cert in case. Copy of passport signed. Only thing she sent me off to the copier for was a copy of the old license. Came back and went right to her desk, the big line (5 falang, 10 thai or so) were not happy seeing me head to the head of the line, but i made sure to ask her if i could before i left the line. She took my papers, stapled them, paper clipped my passport, gave me a red badge and told me to go wait.

There's a big red sign that says in english and thai that all those with a red card wait to be called. Just remember there is no digital screen like the immigration office that calls your number. You actually have to wait to hear your number. Trick is that the place is full up so you'll be waiting a good half hour, so if you don't understand any thai, you won't be able to hear your number getting closer.

Once your number comes up you go sit for your picture, then wait for 2 minutes at the little stool outside, and collect your new license.

I was hoping to move from a temp 1 year, to a full 5 year license. But the first comment out of the mouth of the front desk girl was, No Visa, go wait in line. So unless you have some sort of visa, then this is a yearly process. The fact that I use this motorbike license to ride my bike in Singapore, I can deal with that. Still, a bit of a hassle.

I renewed my 1 year temp motorbike license yesterday. Showed up about 9:30am. I had the resident cert, health cert in case. Copy of passport signed. Only thing she sent me off to the copier for was a copy of the old license. Came back and went right to her desk, the big line (5 falang, 10 thai or so) were not happy seeing me head to the head of the line, but i made sure to ask her if i could before i left the line. She took my papers, stapled them, paper clipped my passport, gave me a red badge and told me to go wait.

There's a big red sign that says in english and thai that all those with a red card wait to be called. Just remember there is no digital screen like the immigration office that calls your number. You actually have to wait to hear your number. Trick is that the place is full up so you'll be waiting a good half hour, so if you don't understand any thai, you won't be able to hear your number getting closer.

Once your number comes up you go sit for your picture, then wait for 2 minutes at the little stool outside, and collect your new license.

I was hoping to move from a temp 1 year, to a full 5 year license. But the first comment out of the mouth of the front desk girl was, No Visa, go wait in line. So unless you have some sort of visa, then this is a yearly process. The fact that I use this motorbike license to ride my bike in Singapore, I can deal with that. Still, a bit of a hassle.

No movie or test (eye and reflex) required? Did you license expire yet or did you renew prior to the date of expiration?

Your watching the movie and doing the vision tests...irrespective...its a condition for renewal

I have renewed many times and never (even when the licenses were first issued) did I have to watch any movies.

Edited by Jayman

Renewed my five year car licence in Pattaya two weeks ago, all documents as stated above, took medical certificate but was not asked for it, took yellow house book and copy, same reaction tests as above plus had to watch the movie, got there at 10am and because of the lunch break and movie did not get away until 1pm. This was one week before my birthday, yes you have to listen for your number or as I did I Sussed out the Thai before me and kept a watch for when she was called, in fact doing the distance test she nudged me when the sticks were in line! Lol

• Like 1

Interesting as I renewed my 1 year car and bike licences (no visa) last Thursday at Pattaya. They were about 6 weeks overdue but there was no comment. Big queue of people and only did the colour and peripheral vision tests. Not sure if the reaction and distance test machines were "broken" or they were just in a hurry but no one used them in the hour or so I was there.

Also absolutely no mention of watching any kind of movie so it really does seem to be pot luck............oh and I was wearing shorts smile.png

Interesting as I renewed my 1 year car and bike licences (no visa) last Thursday at Pattaya. They were about 6 weeks overdue but there was no comment. Big queue of people and only did the colour and peripheral vision tests. Not sure if the reaction and distance test machines were "broken" or they were just in a hurry but no one used them in the hour or so I was there.

Also absolutely no mention of watching any kind of movie so it really does seem to be pot luck............oh and I was wearing shorts smile.png

Did you get the 5 year license? Congrats on the shorts!

I have renewed many times and never (even when the licenses were first issued) did I have to watch any movies.

The movie thing has only come in, in the last couples of years, on my first renewal didint have to watch anything

<snip>

Where was this ?? Because in Pattaya you would have to take the following tests before you get a new license.

(Thanks Ling Kae)

1. Sitting in the chair, light goes green step on acelerator and when lights go red put your foot on the brake ASAP and before it gets to the line. (you get 2 goes at this, if you fail on the second you go home.)

2. Sitting in the same chair, there is a box about 1 foot square 5 metres in front of you. There are 2 pegs inside the box, you use a hand held remote control and you have to line up the 2 pegs next to each other in the box.

3. The perifial (sp) vision test. Put your nose up to a steal contraption and when you see the lights coming from the left and right then you indicated to the tester when you see them.

4. Color test. They do this by you looking at a small trafic signal box. The tester just flicks it through it's reds, yellows and greens and you say the colors you see.

Edited by MJCM