Driving License Renewal

nickptty

I have renewed many times and never (even when the licenses were first issued) did I have to watch any movies.

The movie thing has only come in, in the last couples of years, on my first renewal didint have to watch anything

If I am not mistaken the movie thing is only required if you do a 5 years renewal, if you go from temp license to a 5 year one it's not required. My guess this is because after 5 years you could have forgotten some of the rules, and by watching that movie they hope it all comes back again wink.png

Interesting as I renewed my 1 year car and bike licences (no visa) last Thursday at Pattaya. They were about 6 weeks overdue but there was no comment. Big queue of people and only did the colour and peripheral vision tests. Not sure if the reaction and distance test machines were "broken" or they were just in a hurry but no one used them in the hour or so I was there.

Also absolutely no mention of watching any kind of movie so it really does seem to be pot luck............oh and I was wearing shorts smile.png

Did you get the 5 year license? Congrats on the shorts!

No - because I am in and out on a frequent basis I only ever have a visa waiver so no 5 year (i did try sad.png )

• 4 weeks later...

Ok.. just did my renewal for both car and bike at the transport office near Regent school.

I needed copy of my passport (picture and visa page)

copy of old license

copy of my yellow book

application for renwal given at the office.. you will just be asked to write your name and sign

needed a copy for each license

I was given the color test, reaction time test, and depth perception test.

Sent to the movie room to wait while they processed the papers.

They called me out to pay

I paid 960thb for the 2 licenses

took my picture

was handed 2 new licenses.

Now, my BD was the end of June so I came in the first week of July.. my 5 year license will expire in June 2018 (nearly 6 full years)

I showed up after 1pm and was out of there by 2:30 or so.

Loving that they have the whole area air conditioned now. All in all was very easy and fast experience.

Ok.. just did my renewal for both car and bike at the transport office near Regent school.

copy of old license

copy of my yellow book

application for renwal given at the office.. you will just be asked to write your name and sign

took my picture

Now, my BD was the end of June so I came in the first week of July.. my 5 year license will expire in June 2018 (nearly 6 full years)

Loving that they have the whole area air conditioned now. All in all was very easy and fast experience.

Didn't you need a letter of residence for each license from immigration soi 5 ?(cost 200bt each)

I went and renewed both my 5yr car and motorcycle licenses last month and paid 1060bt

for the new 5yr licenses.

Either i was over charged or you were under charged.

copy of old license

copy of my yellow book

took my picture

Didn't you need a letter of residence for each license from immigration soi 5 ?(cost 200bt each)

I went and renewed both my 5yr car and motorcycle licenses last month and paid 1060bt

for the new 5yr licenses.

Either i was over charged or you were under charged.

I needed no immigration letter as I have a yellow book.

Also, I paid 960thb and can upload my receipts. The 2 other farangs that were watching the movie with me both paid 1060thb. I have no idea why this was either but I went in there speaking Thai and making jokes and when they asked for the 960thb I said, don't I get a discount for speaking thai and the lady joked you already are the other pay over 1000thb. I thought she was joking till one of the other guys I watched the movie with told me he paid 1060thb

looking at my receipts..

motorbike was 255 +100 = 355

car was 505 + 100 = 605

Total 960thb all officially printed on official receipts

Edited by Jayman

Whats a Yellow Book ? I have a blue book for my house is that the same ?

Not unless you are a Thai or have perm residence. The blue book you have will not have your name listed in it as a resident. Farangs are issued yellow books for this. The house and land are in my wife's name and she holds the blue book. She is in the blue book as are both our kids. I am listed as the father on their pages. I went to the local ampur (Nongprue) and asked to be added to the blue book after our 2nd child was born and they said no way but we can issue you a yellow book. So I said great. It was free of charge. You will however need to submit a certified translation of your passport which typically costs about 300thb. Also, you will have to wait about a month. Once you have that it serves as your proof of residence and you will never need a letter from immigration for such. When I do my 90 reporting I show them that as well.

House is in company.I have the blue book.

Can I get a yellow book ?

Thanks for any response.

4.Real

I honestly don't know. I suppose it never hurts to go to the ampur office with a smile on your face and ask. The Nongprue office folks are really nice and helpful.

House is in company.I have the blue book.

Can I get a yellow book ?

Thanks for any response.

4.Real

I honestly don't know. I suppose it never hurts to go to the ampur office with a smile on your face and ask. The Nongprue office folks are really nice and helpful.

Yes you can get a Yellow Tambien Ban. I recently did so from Nong Prue Ampur. Took two weeks after the application

Quick question - I got my first 1 year license last year on August the 4th. The 4th of August is a Saturday this year so would it be best to go in in the previous week or the following week?

I'll be looking to go from the 1 year up to the 5 year.

Many thanks,

Tom.

I recommend to go in after it expires so you get the extra year. Just keep in mind that if he have an accident while driving on the expired license your insurance likely won't pay and the cops will blame things on you.

Quick question - I got my first 1 year license last year on August the 4th. The 4th of August is a Saturday this year so would it be best to go in in the previous week or the following week?

Many thanks,

Tom.

When I renewed mine, I was told that moving from 1 year to 5 year, you must let the license expire first. When I questioned the logic of that, and how I would not have a valid license to drive to their office, they assured me that is the way things are done. They also said it is different when renewing the 5 year. In that case you can go in early. I would check with them in advance just to make sure.

Many thanks,

Tom.

I recommend to go in after it expires so you get the extra year. Just keep in mind that if he have an accident while driving on the expired license your insurance likely won't pay and the cops will blame things on you.

They'd probably blame me regardless of whether my license was valid or not...!!!

Yes but I'm taking more from insurance standpoint.

• 3 months later...

I am due to renew my 1 year license up to a 5 year one soon.

Regarding the letter of residence, do I need an updated one or can I use the same one as I used to get the 1 year license?

If not, what do I need to take to immigration to get another one? I can't quite remember.

Thanks.

Regarding the letter of residence, do I need an updated one or can I use the same one as I used to get the 1 year license?

If not, what do I need to take to immigration to get another one? I can't quite remember.

Thanks.

Yes it needs to be within 30 days of applying for the licence.

You need some sort of proof of address - contract from renting apt. etc.

For the licence centre you also must have a long term visa (more than a tourist visa) otherwise they will only renew to another 1 year.

Edited by topt

Thanks.

Yes it needs to be within 30 days of applying for the licence.

You need some sort of proof of address - contract from renting apt. etc.

For the licence centre you also must have a long term visa (more than a tourist visa) otherwise they will only renew to another 1 year.

Ok great, thanks.

I do have a 1 year NON 'B'

Edited by hotandhumid

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanting to make one thing clear about the medical certificate.

I just renewed my auto and motorcycle licences. I graduated from a one-year to 5-year. You definitely need a medical certificate for the upgrade at the Bang Lamung (Pattaya) office. I thought you didn't and stupidly went all the way out to the jungle office off Hwy 36, then turned around and rode all the way back to get the 100 baht piece of paper stating I didn't have any of those dire diseases. You don't need it for your 5-year renewals.

Also I did not have to watch the 1-hour movie! Took less than one hour from arriving at 12:45 pm to walking out with the two licences. The four vision tests took maybe 3 minutes total.

About the international drivers' permit: I was told I had to go to the main office in Chonburi, 60 klicks away. That seemed very odd since the Bang Lamung office showed the price of 500 baht on the payments sign.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

• 2 weeks later...

After reading all of these post, several times, and yesterday, getting my 1 year motorcycle license, the only thing I can add is everyone seems to have a different opinion of what is needed and what test need to be taken.

My advice to anyone would be to take all the papers that are or maybe required, and dress in your long pants. Im sure everyone has long pants, and that will ensure you of no problems, as far as the dress code is. Probably every office has its own idea of what is needed, and every official has his or her own idea too, there is nothing you can do about it! You are not there to change the DLT, you are there to get a license!

If you dont have time for the soap opera, then just go home, and to hell with the drivers license! Go early in the morning, and make a day out of it. Why do we have to complain about everything. Yes, the first movie was boring, and didnt really contain much information, but the second movie, had a lot of info, of course it was nothing like in reality, but your there to get a license, not think you know everything! There happened to be another farang watching the movie, and from the noises he was making, he didnt care for it at all, and told me of all his driving experiences in Thailand. Well, when it came to the written test, he failed! Watch the movie, and try to get something out of it, you will be surprised about some of the laws on the road here, and those questions will be asked on the test. The driving test was a joke, to say the least, but just do it and be happy!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

my yellow house book has my Bangkok address

5 years ago the front desk threw it back at me and said Immigration resident letter only

so things have changed

I also have a blue book with my name in it for a condo i own here in Patts

question now is will they accept the yellow book with the Bangkok address

or a combination of the two books or would that be to confusing for them?

Edited by BlackJack

If you just came from planet Zorg and read this thread about how to get a a simple bit of plastic to drive your car you would think this planet was populated by utter madmen and head off home.

I am not sure who comes up with Red tape and b*llocks like this but it drives home the fact you are actually in a third world country getting the run around.

I remember the GF going to a clinic for the "Medical cert", she was in and out in the space of minutes and 100 baht spent.

She could not understand why I needed to know if the Doc had asked if she had a wooden leg, serious heart problems, myopia, epilepsy, fainting fits or any mental disorders.....!!! I know I would want to know if I was giving a certificate for someone to operate dangerous machinery.

Fakename has the right idea - you have to go with the flow, suck it up and live with it......blink.png

I was told to go in and watch the movie (first time, provisional license). The Man came back in after 5 minutes, made sure that I had signed my name in the book there, and yanked me out (Farang come..) and I got my license way before everyone else.

my yellow house book has my Bangkok address

5 years ago the front desk threw it back at me and said Immigration resident letter only

so things have changed

I also have a blue book with my name in it for a condo i own here in Patts

question now is will they accept the yellow book with the Bangkok address

or a combination of the two books or would that be to confusing for them?

UPDATE

yellow book although BKK address was accepted

2 copies of everything

NO docs certificate

the stupid 2 peg test was broken so it was a colour test and peripheral test

then the last part of the video and paid and received both licenses car and bike

in at 1pm and out at 3pm

Pattaya

• 1 month later...