Motorcycle Plates Problem?

seeker108

Had an interesting experience yesterday. I went to pick up my new motorcycle license plates for which I had done all of the preliminary paperwork 3 months ago (had bought a 7 month old used motorbike with BKK plates and already had gotten as far as having the updated green book and the new sticker and the new plates number). When that was complete they said to come back in a week and I could get the plates. Well, I went down to BKK shortly after that and only just now had the time to go in for them. I was quite shocked when he said that the new plates were still not ready yet. The event yesterday was all done with a friend translating. The officer had not even so much as glanced at my documents, so I asked my friend to point out that this was not a recent processing but one that was done 3 months ago. Still he said not ready and to come back in October!!! Could not get much more out of him in terms of why. But we were around long enough to see others told the same. Anyone had a similar experience or have any idea what the problem is and how long it has been going on?

Same problem with me, got a new bike early December; they said all docs ready in 3 months, so went back in march. Said they were not ready, I didnt believe them andI thought the dopey assistant just hadnt passed on the paperwork.

I went back last week and got the tax disc and green book, but they said the plates were out of stock and will be August.

Just to check I went to another dealer and they confirmed there was a general shortage.

Hard to believe when in the UK you can go to any car shop and have them make up a plate for you within an hour, as a temp plate is better than no plate.

yep been a general shortage of plates, been a few posts about this in the motorbike forum, something to do with the type of paint or something that they use, someone did mention other places that can do plates but can seem to find the post to link it here....

There is a problem. I heard the factory that made the plates was damaged in the floods last year and they had to refurbish and startup and then recover from a backlog. Bought a new bike in early February, still waiting on plates. Thai friend bought a new bike last month, they told him 3 months to get the plates. I think the standard answer is 3 months, but in reality it will be probably be 6-8 months....................mai pen rai, police know, no problem.........

There is a problem. I heard the factory that made the plates was damaged in the floods last year and they had to refurbish and startup and then recover from a backlog. Bought a new bike in early February, still waiting on plates. Thai friend bought a new bike last month, they told him 3 months to get the plates. I think the standard answer is 3 months, but in reality it will be probably be 6-8 months....................mai pen rai, police know, no problem.........

Maybe no problem here. If one were planning a trip to Laos or other country (which many like to do with their new bikes) I doubt they would be so understanding when trying to cross the border.

If it is just a motorbike plate that you need there is a shop near Muangmai market that will make up a plate in one day. Cost me about 150B when the original number plate fell off my bike. PM me and I will give exact directions.

Nice idea, but until the official plate is issued there is no registration book or known number ...

And I thought that only the official department of transport could issue replacement number plates.

Actually, in the last step before you get the actual plate they issue you your registration sticker and enter the plate number in your green book. That was the stage I had gotten to 3 months earlier. So, it is possible to know the number before you get the plates. But would privately made plates be legal? I suppose they could as long as it did match your legal registration.

Actually, in the last step before you get the actual plate they issue you your registration sticker and enter the plate number in your green book. That was the stage I had gotten to 3 months earlier. So, it is possible to know the number before you get the plates. But would privately made plates be legal? I suppose they could as long as it did match your legal registration.

In my experience the book, sticker, and plate were all issued at the same time.

// and I did have to wait at least 3 months

Yes correct, I dont have a licence plate but have the green book and tax disc and even went to change the ownership from my company into my own name today.

Outside in the car park there is a man with open back truck selling licence plates, made to order, tax disc holders, tax stickers....now if it wasnt legit for him to do that inside the transport office then he wouldnt be there.

Waiting for a plate on a bike I bought in Surat Thanee back in January, did the transfer into my name in the book at Surat.

Last time I was at Nong Hoi they said to check again in August.

It gets a bit confusing as I have the wing 41 sticker with the new plate number but I am still running with the Surat numberplate.

In their credit I have ordered a number 66 on my plate, but have a 777 plate now.

Does this mean I can run red lights for 7 months?

biggrin.png

Remember ''all'', that it is illegal to drive your wheels without plates after 30 days. Go to the local licensing office for a paper from them stating still waiting for plates to show the BiB. I did.

If you have an accident without the plates after 30 days you could be in deep farang doo doo. sad.png