Live And Let Live

Johnniey

Could be something like "Show tolerance to other people and hope they show the same to you"........??

Haha....I just tried to translate what you just wrote, didn't read your question properly.......which pretty much came out to the same thing. I'll go back to bed I think!.

Edited by bkksteviejai
  • Haha 1

Your translation is functional but rather awkward. The word od-thon also has negative connotations . . . a sort of grudging tolerance at worse, forbearance at best.

The concept of "live and let live" is so deeply ingrained in Thai / Laotian culture, so obvious to them that they don't have a way of directly expressing but various ways of implying it according to the situation.

Live and let live can be best interpreted in Thai by the following famous phrases "Mai pen rai" followed by "Chang man" = "Never mind . . . it doesn't matter / don't mean a thing". Or you could say "laew tae chorb" which similar to saying "the matter of taste is indisputable" = "people are into different stuff".

Edited by Trembly

Your translation is functional but rather awkward. The word od-thon also has negative connotations . . . a sort of grudging tolerance at worse, forbearance at best.

The concept of "live and let live" is so deeply ingrained in Thai / Laotian culture, so obvious to them that they don't have a way of directly expressing but various ways of implying it according to the situation.

Live and let live can be best interpreted in Thai by the following famous phrases "Mai pen rai" followed by "Chang man" = "Never mind . . . it doesn't matter / don't mean a thing". Or you could say "laew tae chorb" which similar to saying "the matter of taste is indisputable" = "people are into different stuff".

Khun Trembly,

What do you think about, "ของใครของมัน"?

My missus reckoned ช่างมัน would be best, she thought ของใครของมัน would be used, for instance, when a kid picks up another child's pen to use, ie 'that's his/her's, leave it alone.

Yes this is correct which is why we very much need context from the OP.