What'S Your Favourite Pub?

This has probably been done to death but whenever someone says that and you find another thread it's invariably over 2 years old :/

Seeing as this is the pub section what is your favourite pub and I mean pub type pub not hooker place and beer bar.

When I am in town I don't mind that pub on Soi 8, never see it get a mention. I am never really there super late so not sure if it's a place

where working girls gravitate or not but doesn't appear to be. 99 baht Chang (or Tiger, can't remember) and others are 120 or 130 and

seems a decent place.

I await people telling me this is the worstest place in the world now! whistling.gif I may well be missing something.

Where do you like to (if you do!) go for a drink that's a regular decent place for a drink that doesn't involve playing pool or

connect 4 or have 'hostesses' knocking about and why do you like it?

Bulls Head still relevant? Robin Hood? Any gems out there that are just a solid boozer for a few pints?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robin hood for convenience and upstairs bar is good for a discreet date:). But problem is its 90 percent male patrons , would prefer to see more office girls going there.

Londonder good for Wednesday evenings (often a good mixed crowd) and Friday after office drinks with colleagues.

Ship inn ( used to be bulls head) extremely cliquey always the same 6 to 10 people there every night it seems (I don't go there often) but the place is not bad.

Yeah, I do recall that from Bulls Head, was quite small and same people night in, night out, which is cool. Ah forgot about Londoner, they do have women in there IIRC.

I don't mind it being packed with women all the time although that's a bonus. I guess for the packed with women option you need to be heading to Thonglor these days.

Not sure too many women like coming into lower Sukhumvit though with all it's joys

What's the deal with places like that CheckIn? Seems like a pub or is it a thinly disguised hostesses type place as well?

I have been going to No Idea a lot recently..... good sports, good food and a cut above the average Bangkok pub in terms of decor and ambiance. They have spent a lot of money on making it a nice place to have a drink. The upstairs balcony is terrific.

Ship inn ( used to be bulls head) extremely cliquey always the same 6 to 10 people there every night it seems (I don't go there often) but the place is not bad.

The Ship Inn is on Sukhumvit 23 and has been around for ages.

The Bulls Head was on Sukhumvit 33/1 , just down from the Robin Hood. Its now called the Royal Oak.

There is also The Black Swan at the bootom of the BTS stairs opposite Terminal 21.

Durty Nellys on Ekamai between soi 2 and 4.

The Dubliner

Hanrahans

Chequers

The Sporstman

The Queeen Vic

Crossbar

The Club House

The Australian

Hare and Hounds

The Huntsman

and probably many more and thats just in and around lower to mid Sukhumvit.

Edit for sp.

Edited by SaNim
  • Like 1

Soi 8 on Soi 8 for the rugby, or Tenderloins or its neighbours on Soi 33.

I like sitting outside The Old Dutch if I'm recruiting.

There's various I could recommend around where I live, but I imagine you would implicitly prefer somewhere more convenient.

SC

My favoutite pub is The Flying Swan , but it only exists in somebody elses imagination .

You'll need to give us directions to it.

The Stag's Head was always one of my favourites, and I make a point of going there when I'm in-country, which is not since 2008 and the world cup qualifiers for Dubai. I've got a ticket to go back in August, though, which is just around the corner of one's mind...

If one were to rigorously stick to places that were convenient for the majority on the forum, the only place in Bangkok I make a point of getting to, if I'm just after a beer and some food, is the Soi 7 Beer Bar, but I'm not sure it qualifies under the OP's implicit criteria

SC

My favoutite pub is The Flying Swan , but it only exists in somebody elses imagination .

The Stag's Head was always one of my favourites, and I make a point of going there when I'm in-country, which is not since 2008 and the world cup qualifiers for Dubai. I've got a ticket to go back in August, though, which is just around the corner of one's mind...

If one were to rigorously stick to places that were convenient for the majority on the forum, the only place in Bangkok I make a point of getting to, if I'm just after a beer and some food, is the Soi 7 Beer Bar, but I'm not sure it qualifies under the OP's implicit criteria

SC

The Staga Head asa gone

SC

The Staga Head asa gone

Helpmagoodness! Where's it gone? What am I going to do with my ticket?

Are the open-fronted places that opened about five or six years ago on Hart Avenue still there? It was in one of them that I got a pint of Deuchars IPA...

Are there any gweilo pubs left East of Nathan Road?

Is the White Stag still there in Wan Chai?

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

SC

The Staga Head asa gone

Are the open-fronted places that opened about five or six years ago on Hart Avenue still there? It was in one of them that I got a pint of Deuchars IPA...

Is the White Stag still there in WanChai? Are there any gweilo pubs left East of Nathan Road?

SC

SC

The white Stag is still there and there are plenty up on Knutsford Terrace . Also a whole new bunch along at TST east .

You will be able to recognise me as the guy with the Cindy Williams dance moves .

The Staga Head asa gone

Is the White Stag still there in WanChai? Are there any gweilo pubs left East of Nathan Road?

SC

SC

The white Stag is still there and there are plenty up on Knutsford Terrace . Also a whole new bunch along at TST east .

You will be able to recognise me as the guy with the Cindy Williams dance moves .

I'll need to google Cindy Williams now.

I'd forgotten about Sticky Fingers, and The Chase. I lived near there, before the hand-over.

Bahama Mamas had the fondest memories for me; in particular helping our auditor out of the ladies' toilets then night before the certification audit. Needless to say, we had to survive the audit without her... Luckily, she'd prepared us well, and we passed... almost passed out, come to that.

SC

You're talking about Honkers? I used to live there and most of the bars from my time in mid to late 90s are gone or changed their names. I used to work in Bahama Mamas back in the day and Californias too on the corner of Lan Kwai Fong. Oh to be young again and have an endless supply of female Chinese names in my address book! giggle.gif

Soi 8 on Soi 8 for the rugby, or Tenderloins or its neighbours on Soi 33.

I like sitting outside The Old Dutch if I'm recruiting.

There's various I could recommend around where I live, but I imagine you would implicitly prefer somewhere more convenient.

SC

Got a nice breakfast on the go in there, don't think it's changed for years thumbsup.gif

Lucky Bangkokians. I have been to some decent pubs in Bangkok, don't remember their names but I live in Hat Yai and I have to say that I can't vote on any pubs here. Visiting pubs here have been woeful experience. The music, they play, slow, sad, romantic and the volume is ear-piercing, way too much to my ears. Some live groups are ok, some are disastrous particularly when they try to play western melodies smile.png Having been a pub goer for 2 decades I can sadly declare, I don't feel like going to local pubs here sad.png

I like the Robin Hood but think its gone down hill in the last few years. It seems to me that there are a number of bars being run by x and owned by y, and x doesn't care too much if he fritters away the investment of y. Robin Hood is one of many bars that could be much better than what it is.

Edited by Deserted

I like the seats in the Offshore....you could fall asleep in one of them.

Trouble with that bar is I did! laugh.png

Don't have a favourite really...all those mentioned above are adequate....maybe I need to get to a few more and check them out! biggrin.png

I will have to mention Diggers as well...for the best pint in the world....whistling.gif

• Like 1

I like the seats in the Offshore....you could fall asleep in one of them.

Trouble with that bar is I did! laugh.png

Don't have a favourite really...all those mentioned above are adequate....maybe I need to get to a few more and check them out! biggrin.png

I will have to mention Diggers as well...for the best pint in the world....whistling.gif

I'm just (EDIT) in Cheers (edit) well, sat outside enjoying a nice pint of Kilkenny and a beef curry - possibly on the spicey side of ideal...

I was in here yesterday with a colleague from England, to watch a repeat of the England - Exiles League game from the weekend

A good game, and my mate got so carried away, he knocked his pint over

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

SC

The Staga Head asa gone

And I was told last night that Sticky Fingers was gone from the Tsim Sha Tsui Centre on Mody Road.

WHat is the world coming to?

Where will I go in August?

SC

well...I don't live in BKK and there ain't no pubs where I live upcountry but I mentioned on another thread that I stumbled in to Bully's after a walk in the heat from the US Embassy on Wireless Road at lunch time, hot and fatigued and etc...and it was nice and I had a nice salad and a pint of beer and I emerged totally refreshed...and I was impressed as not many pubs can do that...they had their own kitchen and etc...

as an evening meet up place don't know what it would be like but the lunch time staff were very friendly...they had some pool tables in the back...

Food in Bully's is always Ok.

The place is a tad cavernous...but same as you I only ever bin in for lunch.

but...ye gots to admit that at lunchtime 'cavernous' is what you want; cold, dark and quiet...try the caesar salad and a nice cold pint and ye can't go wrong...

and then go next door to the pharmacy to load up on medical supplies (diabetes and hypertension) and to be reminded of yer mortality...

lunchtime at Bully's...a meditation...

I useta like The Bus Stop on soi nana as they have good food and a good pint of beer but since they have rearranged the place it ain't as nice as before...and now Bully's and places like that that are cool, dark and quiet are more appealing and you can see Bukowski in one of the back booths with a burger and a beer and scribbling his notes...just like some bar in LA in mid afternoon...

a gathering of writers, poets and critics like at the snug at the Scotia Bar in Glasgow...and then the beerbelly and t-shirt brigade would say: 'they ain't even got no wimmin there?' and then the artists will smirk: 'ignorant beerbelly POS...get back to soi nana...we got more important things to discuss'...but they should allow us to smoke tobacco...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1

I useta like The Bus Stop on soi nana as they have good food and a good pint of beer but since they have rearranged the place it ain't as nice as before...and now Bully's and places like that that are cool, dark and quiet are more appealing and you can see Bukowski in one of the back booths with a burger and a beer and scribbling his notes...just like some bar in LA in mid afternoon...

a gathering of writers, poets and critics like at the snug at the Scotia Bar in Glasgow...and then the beerbelly and t-shirt brigade would say: 'they ain't even got no wimmin there?' and then the artists will smirk: 'ignorant beerbelly POS...get back to soi nana...we got more important things to discuss'...but they should allow us to smoke tobacco...

and then up the stairs for a late night pool game wi a midget