Appeals Court Accepts Thaksin's Libel Suit Against Kaewsun

webfact

Reading this, quite a few things spring up in my mind:

1) There is a guy who has the galls to employ a justice system that on several occasions he has described as unfair and biased; well, now that it serve his purposes this very justice system seems to be good enough, doesn't it?

2) Isn't it a tad ironic (if not to say, tasteless) that a person on the run from a corruption conviction sues the former representative of an anti-corruption body from his self-chosen refuge abroad?

3) "As plaintiff, Thaksin contends Kaewsun to have defamed him and abused the anti-graft law to tarnish his reputation." - What reputation? What 'reputation' can a convicted felon on the run possibly have?

4) "Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has won an appellate review and will get his day in court..." How is he supposed to 'get his day in court' as for obvious reasons he is not going to come to Thailand for that? Video phone-in? Some assigned lackey representing him? Is it not customary in Thai courts that the plaintiff has to be physically present at least during some of the sessions for testimony and cross examination? If not, does everybody acting as plaintiff have the right NOT to attend court?

Very good post! thumbsup.gif Thanks. wai.gif

What, no one sees the irony in letting Toxin sue for libel while he's finally been indicted for probably (one of) the same crime(s)...

Hopefully the courts got his court costs first, huh?

Actually, they probably did receive some benefits, and maybe that's the only reason it's being given the time of day, huh?

Has to be because you can't appeal a dismissed case. You can appeal a case where one has been found guilty but not a dismissed case. The apellant has no standing before the court of appeals as no case exists because it was dismissed. Bizarre!

Edited by lannarebirth

I wonder! Does Thai law allow the defendant the right to conduct an in-person deposition of the plaintiff? Can the defendant demand that the plaintiff appear in court for testimony and cross-examination?

I just had a hopeful thought, then it went away again.

//edit/it doubled quoted all by itself

I too have hopeful thoughts my friend but they all quickly die the death. It seems that being hopeful about Thailand is much the same as entertaining phantasies. Thankfully the more lurid of my phantasies involve little Noi, fishnet stockings and a chandelier thus driving the gloom generated by the activities of the children running (or not) this sad country away.

Edited by Bagwan

The Thai courts/legal system are covering themselves in glory this last few weeks aren't they. What a system.

A man accused and convicted of an offence directly related to the type of issues in this case, is able to sue one of his accusers for damaging his reputation. cheesy.gif

Someone, please go and read the defamation law from a grown up country, translate it into Thai and put it into effect, please.

the complete constitution blabla is ridiculous. Not needed to write new constitution.....there are enough gooc constitutions worldwide which only need to be translated and a bit adjusted.

A mature country doesn't need a constitution viz the UK.

Have you thought that the court could just be being very very naughty!

It strikes me that it is Thaksin who stands to lose if he is to present a case for defamation. The ex anti-graft chappie would it appears, have the knowledge and resources to reveal some pretty scathing stuff concerning Thaksin. This would seem to be something encouraged by that large man, whose surname is the name of a Dutch city, to ensure he can milk Thaksin for as much as physically possible. For Thaksin to pursue this case seems a huge mistake and it seems like the court are going to let him fill his boots. Perhaps giving Thaksin an extra yard of rope in the current climate could help rid us of this nuisance once and for all.

Have you thought that the court could just be being very very naughty!

It strikes me that it is Thaksin who stands to lose if he is to present a case for defamation. The ex anti-graft chappie would it appears, have the knowledge and resources to reveal some pretty scathing stuff concerning Thaksin. This would seem to be something encouraged by that large man, whose surname is the name of a Dutch city, to ensure he can milk Thaksin for as much as physically possible. For Thaksin to pursue this case seems a huge mistake and it seems like the court are going to let him fill his boots. Perhaps giving Thaksin an extra yard of rope in the current climate could help rid us of this nuisance once and for all.

By God I hope you´r right.thumbsup.gif