Retirement: $____ Per Mo. For The Rest Of My Life.

GPage

One thing for sure is not to burn your bridges in your home country, and definitely not to assume that you will want to live happily ever after in LOS.

It is also worth playing some disaster scenarios over, to work out how you would cope?

Not just debilitating illness, or decrepit old age, but also making a powerful enemy, or running afoul of the immigration people for some reason.

The old saying says that "the grass is always greener...." The truth is that we can see the advantages of living in another country from afar.....the disadvantages only become truly apparent when we live amongst them.

Anyway, you sound like a person with a lot of commonsense. Good luck. And find a good woman. No point being in Thailand otherwise.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bread, milk, cheese? Can any western farang live without them? We'll see.

Gary

quite easily, if said farang has dietary intolerances to gluten and lactose :o

All those items easily available here. Good bread, fresh milk and many varieties of cheese. Unless you choose to live in darkest Thailand. :D

If you have $300k and a $1200 per month pension, you have enough.

You are well sorted! MORE than enough.

In your opinion which is fine, but let's make it clear the subject of what is enough is very subjective.In my opinion and to cover my lifestyle, I need $6000 pm.This covers airfares for myself and family,health insurance,money to be put by for emergencies as well as regular living expenses.I have a friend in Bangkok who feels $8000 pm is the right figure for him.It all depends and everyone's circumstances are different.If you are calculating how much is needed just to survive that's a diferent matter.Obviously that can be done on much lower amounts.But surviving is not the same as living.

>>>>I need $6000 pm.

your bloody mad you is

A fellow TV member told me to expect this kind of response.It's obviously difficult for some folks to understand everybody has different circumstances.There are many many retirees in Thailand who have access to far more than $6000 pm I indicated as my requirement.I would guess very few of them are members of this forum.There's absolutely nothing to be concerned about if you retire on a lower figure.It can be done and quite happily too.But don't lash out at people in a different situation.

>>>>I need $6000 pm.

your bloody mad you is

A fellow TV member told me to expect this kind of response.It's obviously difficult for some folks to understand everybody has different circumstances.There are many many retirees in Thailand who have access to far more than $6000 pm I indicated as my requirement.I would guess very few of them are members of this forum.There's absolutely nothing to be concerned about if you retire on a lower figure.It can be done and quite happily too.But don't lash out at people in a different situation.

Thanks for all of the input, folks. And, yes, the monthly figure is truly subjective depending upon the type of lifestyle you prefer and your family requirements. I was looking for a base monthly amount for one person so that I could adjust according to my lifestyle demands and plan for any unexpected situations. The information that has been given covered all of these areas and then some. I've learned that somewhere between $1000 and $6000 per month should allow me to retire in Thailand. Somewhere in between lies attitude and an outlook on life. Thanks again for all of the assistance.

Gary

Hi all:

I've been reading message strings like this on cost of living in Thailand for months trying to decide if I should consider it for retirement. I'm 50 and in very good health, no drinky and no smokey. I always come away wondering if I should just stay in the US cuz it seems like I can stay retired here cheaper than in LOS. But then quality of life issues arise (no attractive women, snow instead of beaches, boredom etc). I'd like to see some budget breakdowns on just what you folks are spending all the money on..? I can "live" here in around us$700/mo (house is paid but I pay 100-200/mo in taxes; and no trips included in that).

My guess (from afar) on expenses in Phuket (rough estimates):

(please correct me)

rent small house (maybe Chalong?): 12000 baht/mo

food (i like to cook myself, but including a few meals out/week): 6150 bt/mo

electric: 1640 bt/mo

dial-up i-net: 820/mo

phone: 820/mo

sat TV: 820/mo

gas for honda cycle: 410/mo (i like to bicycle a lot; or are neither of these activities recommended for safety's sake?)

misc (clothes, laundry, ??): 2050/mo

gym membership: 1230/mo??

entertainment: 1230/mo??

that's 27,170 (us$663) so far... And for many of the above, I spend less here in the US on (ex: gym is $8/mo; no sat TV; phone is $13; dial-up is $11; elec is $30 etc...)

I realize that this doesn't include trips home or health insurance. But then, I don't have insurance here now and that's one of the reasons I'm considering the move: to be able to either afford it, or to pay out of pocket for things as they arise..

Thanks for any comments!!

-confused

Hi all:

I've been reading message strings like this on cost of living in Thailand for months trying to decide if I should consider it for retirement. I'm 50 and in very good health, no drinky and no smokey. I always come away wondering if I should just stay in the US cuz it seems like I can stay retired here cheaper than in LOS. But then quality of life issues arise (no attractive women, snow instead of beaches, boredom etc). I'd like to see some budget breakdowns on just what you folks are spending all the money on..? I can "live" here in around us$700/mo (house is paid but I pay 100-200/mo in taxes; and no trips included in that).

(please correct me)

gas for honda cycle: 410/mo (i like to bicycle a lot; or are neither of these activities recommended for safety's sake?)

that's 27,170 (us$663) so far... And for many of the above, I spend less here in the US on (ex: gym is $8/mo; no sat TV; phone is $13; dial-up is $11; elec is $30 etc...)

I realize that this doesn't include trips home or health insurance. But then, I don't have insurance here now and that's one of the reasons I'm considering the move: to be able to either afford it, or to pay out of pocket for things as they arise..

-confused

You MUST be kidding! And: NO INSURANCE? :o

Maybe some folks don't agree with me, but come on, be realistic...living in Phuket on Baht 27.000/month is unrealistic.

And what kind of money did you have in mind for an attractive woman? and health insurance :D ?

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Hi all:

(please correct me)

-confused

You MUST be kidding! And: NO INSURANCE? :o

Maybe some folks don't agree with me, but come on, be realistic...living in Phuket on Baht 27.000/month is unrealistic.

And what kind of money did you have in mind for an attractive woman? and health insurance :D ?

LaoPo

OK......... everyone will have their own version according to personal situation/habits/wants. FWIW, here's what I worked out as a per-month budget for living reasonably comfortably in Chiang Mai - which has the reputation of being noticeably cheaper than Phuket (maybe 15-20% cheaper?). It assumes that I already own a car and motorbike; the house rental is a top-end figure that I reckon to get down to about 10,000 after a while. I also assume eating mainly a mix of Thai/European food at home, mainly Thai food out and the occasional European meal out. It also assumes that I already own a car and motorbike - and yes, I do think I need both.

Rent 15,000

Electricity 3,500

Water 200

Gas 80

Internet (ADSL) 1,250

TV package 2,100

Telephone 1,000

Mobile 600

M/bike (fuel, tax etc) 400

Car (fuel, tax etc) 1,000

Car insurance 2,000

Food 7,500

Entertainment 10,000

Total p.m. 44,630

On top of this total, I would allow a further 20,000 a month for sundries, travel, scuba and contingency (I plan to self-insure healthwise). That brings the total to a figure of about 59-64k per month. Pick and mix as you like, but I can't help feeling that 27,000 is at best half of what's required to live and provide some flexibility to explore LOS, relieve boredom and treat myself/friends - in other words enjoy life rather than just exist somewhere different.

As I've mentioned on previous occasions, I would allow at least a 10% drop in the exchange rate - i.e. reckon with a stronger baht in the future. That's before you take inflation into account - but maybe your $ income will keep pace with that.............

OK......... everyone will have their own version according to personal situation/habits/wants. FWIW, here's what I worked out as a per-month budget for living reasonably comfortably in Chiang Mai - which has the reputation of being noticeably cheaper than Phuket (maybe 15-20% cheaper?). It assumes that I already own a car and motorbike; the house rental is a top-end figure that I reckon to get down to about 10,000 after a while. I also assume eating mainly a mix of Thai/European food at home, mainly Thai food out and the occasional European meal out. It also assumes that I already own a car and motorbike - and yes, I do think I need both.

Rent 15,000

Electricity 3,500

Water 200

Gas 80

Internet (ADSL) 1,250

TV package 2,100

Telephone 1,000

Mobile 600

M/bike (fuel, tax etc) 400

Car (fuel, tax etc) 1,000

Car insurance 2,000

Food 7,500

Entertainment 10,000

Total p.m. 44,630

On top of this total, I would allow a further 20,000 a month for sundries, travel, scuba and contingency (I plan to self-insure healthwise). That brings the total to a figure of about 59-64k per month. Pick and mix as you like, but I can't help feeling that 27,000 is at best half of what's required to live and provide some flexibility to explore LOS, relieve boredom and treat myself/friends - in other words enjoy life rather than just exist somewhere different.

As I've mentioned on previous occasions, I would allow at least a 10% drop in the exchange rate - i.e. reckon with a stronger baht in the future. That's before you take inflation into account - but maybe your $ income will keep pace with that.............

Thanks for the input. So Thailand is NOT so cheap, is it? Your electricity bill is almost us$90/mo. I lived in FLorida in a big house and my bill averaged less than half of that. Can anyone tell me what dial-up internet costs? Regarding TV, is there any cheaper way to get some english-language programming? $50/mo is too much. Your car insurance is also much higher than I pay here (us$30/mo for full coverage on Honda Civic). The other item that is way high for me is entertainment @10,000 bt. I don't think I could ever come close to that. And the extra 20,000: probably more like 5000 for me, as I'd snorkel rather than scuba; and an occaisonal trip within the country by bus...how much could it be?

Thanks for the discussion..

Here are some risks to consider (some have been mentioned):

1. Inflation is a huge risk. I don't know the inflation rate in Thailand, but my guess is that it is at least 4%. This means that your $1200.00 per month pension will have the buying power of $600.00 in 24 years. If inflation is 5%, then it will take only 14 years before you pension buying power is reduced to $600.00. (This is true unless your pension is adjusted for inflation). I don't think most people would be happy living on $600.00 per month in Thailand.

Inflation eats away at your 300K as well. If you just invest in a 4% bond, then you would just be maintaining the buying power. In fact, you wouldn't even be maintaining buying power because you still have to pay taxes on that money.

In my opinion, it is difficult to get a real 3% return on your investment. You lose 4% to inflation, 1% or 2% to taxes (in addition to fund expense costs, transaction costs, etc.). So you need to get 9% return just to keep 3% above inflation. To get 9%, you might have to put almost all of your 300K in the stock market. In that case, you would might suffer 15% annual fluctuations in your net worth. Could you handle it if your 300K drops to 255K over the course of a year?

2. Exchange rate fluctuations will also affect you to some extent, but it probably will not be as bad as the problem of inflation because it doesn't compound the way inflation does. If the exchange rate drops to 35 baht/ dollar, then you will have 12% less buying power during that time. But, the 12% doesn't compound yearly, it just stays at that level as long as the exchange rate doesn't change.

3. Health risks will require you to pay for health insurance as well. You may develop the need for expensive treatment. I believe this is quite likely as you get older.

4. How do you know that you will want to stay in Thailand for the rest of your life? Thailand is changing quickly. The things you like about it might disappear or your desires might change.

Maybe you should trying living in Phuket for a few months to see what your cash flow will actually be. It is difficult to know unless you really try. Then you can make better plans.

It might be better to tighten your belt in the beginning and invest some of your monthly pension to counteract inflation.

You might want to check out the website: http://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/

Many people share your concerns.

Please promise me to show up at his funeral. Very soon.

G, Well, I have been living here in Phuket for 3 years so far....and yeah the $/B per month rest of your life question is a widely variable number based on all thats previously mentioned. What I do know is that the longer I am here, the better my feel for such numbers and also finding better values. I initially came to retire but after 6 months got a little bored so started teaching English to keep my mind from turning to mush....I believe I was spending around B50,000/month when first here but that has gone down as I have figured out a few thingies.....

Anyway my numbers seem low even to me...but I have I guess a pretty modest lifestyle......

Rent: 5,000/mo-small house less than 5 min from Nai Harn Beach

Water/elec: Free

Gas: 50

Internet: 500 for dial up

Cable TV: 450 ok, its not as great as UBC, but enough for me...

Phone: 800

Motor bike/truck: 1500 fuel and servicing

Auto Insurances: 500

Health Insurance: 1500

Food/Drink: 10,000

Entertainment: 5,000

Misc. Expenses: 5,000

I think I spend more money on beer than food...but thats my biggest vice :o .....so its fairly consistent about 30K per month....unless I travel out of country...and I don't plan on it this year sooooo there ya go....Rent is a big area where you can spend a lot more money....or take your time and find a deal, especially during the slow season.....lots and lots of interesting places for reasonable(for Phuket anyway) rents and this can keep your budget way down....good luck!

>>>>I need $6000 pm.

your bloody mad you is

Troll, troll, foll-de-roll, methinks.

G, Well, I have been living here in Phuket for 3 years so far....and yeah the $/B per month rest of your life question is a widely variable number based on all thats previously mentioned. What I do know is that the longer I am here, the better my feel for such numbers and also finding better values. I initially came to retire but after 6 months got a little bored so started teaching English to keep my mind from turning to mush....I believe I was spending around B50,000/month when first here but that has gone down as I have figured out a few thingies.....

Anyway my numbers seem low even to me...but I have I guess a pretty modest lifestyle......

I think I spend more money on beer than food...but thats my biggest vice :o .....so its fairly consistent about 30K per month....unless I travel out of country...and I don't plan on it this year sooooo there ya go....Rent is a big area where you can spend a lot more money....or take your time and find a deal, especially during the slow season.....lots and lots of interesting places for reasonable(for Phuket anyway) rents and this can keep your budget way down....good luck!

Thanks alot for the numbers. Your budget makes more sense to me than most others'. A few questions: what's your house like (what do you get for 5000/mo?); do you really need a car or truck as opposed to a little cycle (especially if a person doesn't need to be anywhere like work?); what's on TV for 450?; and any general comments on what you like about Naiharn or living in Thailand in general would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again,

-pb

All great information. Lots of variables and some things I had not considered. I suppose you really can't get a feel for your daily routine until you are actually in LOS and settled in. One thing I know for sure, a day sitting on your balcony watching the water and relaxing should be fairly reasonable....and enjoyable. After a lifetime of stress and work, I'm more wound down than up. Of course, there is something about the exotic nature of Thailand that makes you want to explore, go, do, see. That's where my budgetary constraints will come into play..... i.e. walking through the market is wonderful and free, until you stop to buy.

Thanks again for all of your encouragement and sound advice. This forum is far more beneficial than anything I could Google.

Gary

simple enough, If you think 60000 baht is too much than you should think twice about moving over here. Right now the currency exchange is $1 / 40 so you'll be fine, but, when the Baht strengthen, you'll be sorry.

I'm sure someday, the Baht will be back to the old $1/25.

simple enough, If you think 60000 baht is too much than you should think twice about moving over here. Right now the currency exchange is $1 / 40 so you'll be fine, but, when the Baht strengthen, you'll be sorry.

I'm sure someday, the Baht will be back to the old $1/25.

The question is...which century?

LaoPo

Hi PB,

In answer to your questions. I rent a small 2 bedroom "Thai style" wooden house, small kitchen,western bathroom, small garden area. I don't have AC but am thinking I will get a small unit for my bedroom as April is just way too hot.....I have moved around a bit since first coming over and have settled on Nai Harn as it suits my lifestyle interests. I first lived in Chalong then moved to Kata for nicer beach/surf. NH has a great beach, more community less touristy/road traffic than Kata and rents a bit cheaper. There are lots of neat places to live here,....you just have to look round and see what fits. Now its "busy" season so not much rental selection, but come slow season and there will be many deals around....A car/truck is not "necessary", I did fine for a year with just the motorbike.....but....I have a kayak/surfboard that are much easier to lug round on the truck than the sidecar of a motorbike. Also enjoy taking the truck off island for province adventures and of course the rain can make the longer bike rides a bit...damp...but definitely not a must IMHO. I subscribe to Rawai Cable...something like 40 channels, bout half are in English. Good news selection(Cnn, BBC, Fox, ABC), couple movie channels, Star Network(shit coms mostly....lots of sports channels but mostly showing soccer(if you must have ESPN you must do UBC!).....

Before moving to Thailand I was living a fairly luxurious lifestyle in Hawaii....big house, condo,girlfriends, lots of toys! and went through huge amounts of money while working myself to death in process. I am living my modest lifestyle by choice, not necessity.

I know people living fairly comfy on even less than me and have good friends who go through 100K/month easily.....My experience has been that there are 3 more expensive areas that can inflate your monthly outgo......1. Girls 2. Bars 3. Health

Avoiding the pitfalls, being somewhat moderate in partaking of the fun stuff and keeping your health are at least for me the goals/challenges. Good luck!

Perhaps a little off topic and then again, not really.

I have been transporting some neighborhood kids to school every morning, picking them up as well in the afternoon. It started last year during the rainy season when their mothers never managed to get them there on their motorbikes without everyone soaked to the skin. Besides it is breaking up the monotony in my retired life.

Monday afternoon, the 3 boys were in back of the pickup horsing around and one of the boy's little 8 year old sister sat in the passenger seat, when she hummed Bruce Springsteen's song,"Weee will, wee will rock you !!!" Except she hummed: "We will, we will F*** you". "Oha, little girl, that's not the way it goes." " Where did you learn that"? "In school", she said.

Hmm. Is that going to be the welcome song played at all international arrival lounges at the airports ?

Just a thought.

Hi PB,

In answer to your questions. I rent a small 2 bedroom "Thai style" wooden house, small kitchen,western bathroom, small garden area. I don't have AC but am thinking I will get a small unit for my bedroom as April is just way too hot.....I have moved around a bit since first coming over and have settled on Nai Harn as it suits my lifestyle interests. I first lived in Chalong then moved to Kata for nicer beach/surf. NH has a great beach, more community less touristy/road traffic than Kata and rents a bit cheaper. There are lots of neat places to live here,....you just have to look round and see what fits. Now its "busy" season so not much rental selection, but come slow season and there will be many deals around....A car/truck is not "necessary", I did fine for a year with just the motorbike.....but....I have a kayak/surfboard that are much easier to lug round on the truck than the sidecar of a motorbike. Also enjoy taking the truck off island for province adventures and of course the rain can make the longer bike rides a bit...damp...but definitely not a must IMHO. I subscribe to Rawai Cable...something like 40 channels, bout half are in English. Good news selection(Cnn, BBC, Fox, ABC), couple movie channels, Star Network(shit coms mostly....lots of sports channels but mostly showing soccer(if you must have ESPN you must do UBC!).....

Before moving to Thailand I was living a fairly luxurious lifestyle in Hawaii....big house, condo,girlfriends, lots of toys! and went through huge amounts of money while working myself to death in process. I am living my modest lifestyle by choice, not necessity.

I know people living fairly comfy on even less than me and have good friends who go through 100K/month easily.....My experience has been that there are 3 more expensive areas that can inflate your monthly outgo......1. Girls 2. Bars 3. Health

Avoiding the pitfalls, being somewhat moderate in partaking of the fun stuff and keeping your health are at least for me the goals/challenges. Good luck!

Dear T-Dog:

Thanks so much for your very helpful posts! I can understand about needing a truck or car to carry the surfboard and for the rainy season etc. I've always wanted to try surfing. Maybe I'll hit you up for a lesson if I ever get my doofiss over there.. Speaking of Hawaii, I looked long and hard at moving to the Big Island, but the sunny side is now way too expensive, and the rainy side is way too rainy (and lava-y).

I'm a big natural health nut and that's why I decided to leave the rat race 10 years ago ---my hair was turning gray fast but has since slowed down. My priorities/interests in Thialand would be: clean air, food, water (clean beaches etc); a place to work out (weights etc); maybe a place to ride a bicycle without getting killed/mamed; access to massage and acupuncture etc. I'd be open for some "dating." I wonder if it's possible to find anyone other than bargirls(?).

I also choose to live below my means by choice. I'm living cheaply now in hopes of a larger "payout" later in life. Sometimes I wonder if I should just start blowing the wad and have a good time. But I've been living like a college student for so long that I don't know if I COULD spend a lot of moola......

I hear laughing in the background..

thanks again,

-pb

Hi PB,

Dear T-Dog:

Thanks so much for your very helpful posts! I can understand about needing a truck or car to carry the surfboard and for the rainy season etc. I've always wanted to try surfing. Maybe I'll hit you up for a lesson if I ever get my doofiss over there.. Speaking of Hawaii, I looked long and hard at moving to the Big Island, but the sunny side is now way too expensive, and the rainy side is way too rainy (and lava-y).

I'm a big natural health nut and that's why I decided to leave the rat race 10 years ago ---my hair was turning gray fast but has since slowed down. My priorities/interests in Thialand would be: clean air, food, water (clean beaches etc); a place to work out (weights etc); maybe a place to ride a bicycle without getting killed/mamed; access to massage and acupuncture etc. I'd be open for some "dating." I wonder if it's possible to find anyone other than bargirls(?).

I also choose to live below my means by choice. I'm living cheaply now in hopes of a larger "payout" later in life. Sometimes I wonder if I should just start blowing the wad and have a good time. But I've been living like a college student for so long that I don't know if I COULD spend a lot of moola......

I hear laughing in the background..

thanks again,

-pb

Guys,

Read both of your posts in reply and couldn't agree with you more. I've "been there, done that" in areas of partying, bar girls, and buying toys that I thought I needed. In retrospect, it seems to me that I've missed more than my share of sunsets in spite of my good fortunes. I intend to catch up on a few of the simple pleasures that I couldn't take the time to enjoy while I was pursuing a career.

I think about the movie, "Phenomenon" with John Travolta. An ordinary working guy that gets zapped by a light from above and ends up with supernatural powers. A friend asks him about all of the books he reads everyday and wants to know why. "George" (John T) replies, "Everything...just all of the things that I've always wanted to know."

If you can allow yourself the luxury of simply being and open up to all of those unrealized interests, then you can find a peacefulness that will last far past any night on bar row in Patong.

Gary

PB/Gary,

Seems we're on the same wave length here. PB: There are lots of nice Thai ladies if you want a serious relationship....but you must realize that most non BG, will expect commitment, monogamy and usually marriage, but definitely many looking for a good farang to hook up with. Phuket isn't exactly paradise but it suits me well. If you know anything about Thailand it's just not "pristine" pretty like say Hawaii.....but the ocean is clear for diving, full of fish and warm warm, great bike riding in Nai Harn in the early am anyway.....if your into exercising outdoors Phuket has lots of good spots really. The cost of living here is higher than most other spots in Thailand, but to me it's worth it. My advice to anyone is rent in a likeable area and move around till you find the best spot you can....You have to be a little patient and keep your eye out for that one place...thats what I did and I am pretty stoked on my little place now. Similar advice would work well in finding a suitable gf as well :o Anyway, good luck with your adventures and if you need any assistance now or down the road give me a shout.....

:o Hi all. Been living in Bangkok since I got my Retirement visa last August just finishing off my 6 monthly rent so free to move around Thailand and was thinking Phuket. Been to Thailand before 7 times, been with the same lady for nearly 2 year, shes a Nurse did not plan it it just was her job when I met her shes 34.

Ok my question is how do I hook up with the nice people in Phuket and not the F wits that also live there?

As we all know there are alot of strange fharlang people in Thailand.

Looking to move down there in say March this year. In Bangkok been taking care of my 20 year old son who is over here for 3 months when he leaves I will move south I think. :D

Well, one person's F-wit is another man's best friend.

Guess you'll have to do what the rest of us do, meet lots of people and then discard the ones you don't like. Pretty much the same as everbody has ever done since they were in the playground at primary school.

gathering from all the messeges here . . .

I think I can safely say that my $1800.00/month retirement check will suffice for our living in Pattaya. We will buy our house with cash. only expense other than utilities and transport will be son's schooling at one of the Int'l schools in Pattaya and our trips back home. Also, have $200,000 in a well diversified Mutual Fund Portfolio. Medical Insurance through US Military and I hear tell from the VFW in Pattaya I can use this, as well as the military clinic in Bangkok. Am I on the mark here? Looking at getting the O-A visa here in the US before going to Thailand.

Another question for Americans out there in Pattaya. With the aftermath of 9/11 seems a bit hard to wire money if you are not in the States so I guess ATMs are the way to go. Also will banks take a certified bank draft or check?

Hi Oda,

Well, first of all, I hope you realize you posted on the "Phuket" forum, not Pattaya....but :o , Anyway, your retirement/investments sounds fine for a comfy life in Thailand. Ummm, you mention "buying" a house....check out the real estate threads for info....but you might consider renting first, and ultimately decide the flexiblitity and cheap rentals may be a better/simpler/safer way to go. I too am American, and wiring money from US to Thailand shouldn't be a problem...just find a bank that will do it. My bank is a little funky-Etrade-I have to send a letter with my notarized signature requesting the tfer.....no notaries in Thailand, but a Thai Attorney does this for me and it works fine. Others have better/friendlier banks that I believe do it via internet...check the business/investiment section on TV for more info. Anyway, good luck with your move!

Hi

I'm new to the forum but 80000 baht seems like alot of money to be able to live in Phuket a month on. I still live in UK and have a mortgage and lots of bills plus food to pay for and the cost is not that much higher. I am coming to live in Thailand next year, either Phuket or Hua Hin, not made final decision yet and thought that the cost of living would be a lot less expensive then UK, it always seems to be on my regular visits over the years.