Visa For Girlfriend And Baby?

Hello,

I'm trying to sort out my loved ones visa situation.

I'm Polish, I live in Thailand. I have a NON B Visa form my school (precisely - one year extension)

I have a GF, Non Thai (Indian). Her NON B is expiring in a month.

She's pregnant. The baby will be here in January.

I'm confused as to our visa situation.

1. Should we apply for a NON O visa for my GF, is it even possible without being married?

2. What visa will our baby need? How soon after it's born?

3. Should my GF apply for a visa dependant on mine, r maybe when the baby is here - dependant on the baby’s visa?

Thanks for any help!

Mac

1. As not married she has no status for any visa it seems. Not sure how she obtained the non immigrant B if not working.

2. Child can stay without visa and no fines until age 15 - but could obtain as dependent on your extension of stay with a non immigrant O visa entry and living with you. This would not apply to mother however.

3. She would need to be married to you.

Without being married she is not eligible for a dependent visa or extension of stay.

The only option would be for her to get a tourist visa or get an ED visa to study.

The baby could get an extension as your dependent but that is not absolutely needed since children are not charged for overstay.

Thank you, that explains a lot.

She has been working, got the Non B but quit the job recently. The employer was kind enough not to cancel her visa and WP right away. This is where her Non B is from.

We'll probably be Appling for a tourist visa or ED visa for the time being.

What about when the baby is born - what kind of visa can she obtain as the mother of a baby born and living in Thailand?

Since she is Indian she will probably have to return home to get the tourist or ED visas.

If she could get enrolled in a course of study that qualifies for an extension of stay before her current extension runs out she should be able to change from a working extension to one for going to school.

Edited by ubonjoe

"What about when the baby is born"

She would not qualify for any visa on that basis - but once child started school might be able to qualify as mother with 500k in bank account.

Be aware that she is responsible for canceling her extension of stay the day her work ends and failure to do so would put her on overstay from that date. If just 90 day visa entries this is not an issue but for extension of stay it could be as doubt employer is making salary payments.

The child can only be your dependend if you are the legal father. Since you are not marreid to the mother, you will need to make additional steps to become the legal father.

If the child will be born in Thailand, the first time the child leaves Thailand simply show the (Thai) birth certificate to immigation. That explains why there is no visa or record of the child entering Thailand and will make leaving Thailand no problem.

Be aware that she is responsible for canceling her extension of stay the day her work ends and failure to do so would put her on overstay from that date. If just 90 day visa entries this is not an issue but for extension of stay it could be as doubt employer is making salary payments.

I was worried about that but we did leave Thailand in the meantime (for holidays) and there were no problems on the border. Also no problem with getting a re-entry permit for her. So I hope we're ok.

As for the course or study that could help with getting the extension on her visa without leaving the country – any suggestions? That would be a great solution as we are not to keen on flying while she's pregnant.

From what I'm reading here it's time to hit Chinatown in search of an engagement ring ;)

From what I'm reading here it's time to hit Chinatown in search of an engagement ring wink.png

Marriage would take care of the problem for her extension.

You both would have to go your respective embassies/consulates and get an Affirmation of Permit to Marry document. Then have them translated to Thai and certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (translation service can get it done for you). Then you could go to a Amphoe/Khet to register your marriage (requires 2 witnesses also). After that a trip to immigration for the extension.

Normally you can find someone in the office to sign as witness (perhaps buying them lunch). As procedure is in Thai if done outside major tourist area a translator (any Thai who can speak both languages) may be required as you will be signing Thai documents so should know what you are doing.

I've worked with a lady from Sri Lanka. Her three kids were born in Thailand, but all of them are stateless now and she'd lost her teaching job.

She'd a divorce with her Indian husband.

Even many people living here, some hill tribes do not qualify for a Thai passport, which makes everything very difficult.

Immigration seem to take their job more seriously nowadays. Wish you good luck! wai.gif

I've worked with a lady from Sri Lanka. Her three kids were born in Thailand, but all of them are stateless now and she'd lost her teaching job.

She'd a divorce with her Indian husband.

Even many people living here, some hill tribes do not qualify for a Thai passport, which makes everything very difficult.

Immigration seem to take their job more seriously nowadays. Wish you good luck! wai.gif

Why would these children not get Sri Lankan or Indian nationality? Children born to two foreign parents in Thailand are only entitled to Thai nationality if both parents are permanent residents.