Purple Space Monkey Restaurant In Jomtien

crab

I had lunch yesterday at the Purple Space Monkey restaurant on Soi Chaiyapruek, on the left as you go away from the beach just past the (uncompleted) junction with 2nd Road. It is now being run by Sean, who formerly worked Delizza with his father, and is being upgraded both in comfort and looks and in food quality.

I ate fried spring rolls, which were a bit too doughy but still enjoyable served with three different dipping sauces, and one of their signature main courses, Canadian rib-eye beef with green curry. This was outstanding. At my request the beef came rare - juicy, tender, delicious - accompanied by steamed rice and an excellent green curry sauce complete with the small Thai aubergines. If I remember correctly, the price for the two courses with a bottle of water came to 380 baht. Given the quality of the food (e.g. the imported beef), this seemed altogether reasonable.

They are, of course, also open in the evening, with wine and cocktails available.

Altogether recommended.

• Like 1

Sounds like good news.

I heard some really bad reviews of the food in the past.

Now if they could only get some Canadian beer.....smile.png

While I shudder at the thought of curry sauce on a nice rare ribeye, a nice cold Labatts or keiths would go down a treat!!

Sounds like good news.

I heard some really bad reviews of the food in the past.

Now if they could only get some Canadian beer.....smile.png

While I shudder at the thought of curry sauce on a nice rare ribeye, a nice cold Labatts or keiths would go down a treat!!

The retaurant theme is Thai fusion, but I thought the sauce was served on the side. Anyway, from the reports I hear, the food seems to be pretty good.

I have eaten at the Purple space monkey and I will never eat there again.

I ordered the cheeseburger and chips.

Great venue but the food is a disappointment.

When? I ate there as well a long time ago, well before the major new changes (management as well) that have been widely announced on local forums. I also didn't like it back then. But things have changed and I wouldn't presume it's the same menu/experience as before at all. Edited by Jingthing

Thanks for the heads up JT.

I visited about a year ago and was not impressed with the food.

But the other thing off putting at the time and might have been down to the day of the week? time of year ? But there were a good few young Thai male customers, around 20 years old, some hogging the Pool table.

All being a bit flash with the cash, drinks and smoking. With a 'am 'ard as nails strut.

They did not seem to fit in with the rest of the customers and there was atmosphere I felt in the air that it could kick off any moment.

They seemed like regulars and their body language and the way I and the GF were being looked at made me check bin and go. Vowing not to go back. Then the paranoia really set in...............blink.png

But the other thing off putting at the time and might have been down to the day of the week? time of year ? But there were a good few young Thai male customers, around 20 years old, some hogging the Pool table.

All being a bit flash with the cash, drinks and smoking. With a 'am 'ard as nails strut.

They did not seem to fit in with the rest of the customers and there was atmosphere I felt in the air that it could kick off any moment.

They seemed like regulars and their body language and the way I and the GF were being looked at made me check bin and go. Vowing not to go back. Then the paranoia really set in...............blink.png

It's location straddles the border of the mostly Thai area and mosyly farangland toward Jomtien market, so maybe this is not surprising. Usually you can tell just by looking at a place if it is "their turf".

It's location straddles the border of the mostly Thai area and mosyly farangland toward Jomtien market, so maybe this is not surprising. Usually you can tell just by looking at a place if it is "their turf".

"their turf" is exactly the expression I was looking for...But this does not look like a Thai only establishment ? Most of the Karaoke style joints and large Thai discos are fairly obvious. You could be right about its location as well determining the clientelle. Without stating the obvious groups of young Thai men don't bowl into bars in Soi 5, 7, Rompho market and Soi Whitehouse in Jomtien.

But we are way off thread here - its about food.....and JT says it is better now - so it must be true.

Was there 3 weeks ago, and not impressed with the food. The place looked nice! smile.png

The big changes there happened VERY RECENTLY. I don't know if the new menu/manager was in effect fully 3 weeks ago, or not. So I would suggest others consider this place basically a NEW RESTAURANT.

I am not saying the new version will be better but I am saying it will be DIFFERENT. Haven't been as yet and honestly fusion food isn't usually my bag, so not in a big rush to go either.

Edited by Jingthing

Good to hear as we've eaten there twice this year. Once about 3 months ago and another time about 2 months ago. Both times many in our party were quite disappointed. The Thai food was pretty bad, and the farang food was poor. My fish and chips were horrible. A few did like the Sunday roast special though.

I LOVE the venue. Salsa on Monday nights. Great looking place. I'll give it another go and see if it has improved.

Is this place still owned by a American guy called Ruben ? you say change of management etc -

We used to go there a bit , about a year ago,thought it was ok, lots of work going on to promote the place, with TV there etc - actually, I thought he was going to expand into Pattaya, with Live music etc !!

I never had any problems with the food there though -

I stopped in there today. I had the Cheeseburger with potato salad. The burger was a third of a pound of imported Black Angus beef. I had it cooked medium, it was juicy and delicious. The potato salad was also excellent. My food with two San Miguel Lights came to 350 baht. I thought it was quite reasonably priced considering the quality. It beat the hell out of the new Carl's JR cheeseburger. Tomorrow he has the beef brisket special so I will be there again.

• Like 1

I stopped in there today. I had the Cheeseburger with potato salad. The burger was a third of a pound of imported Black Angus beef. I had it cooked medium, it was juicy and delicious. The potato salad was also excellent. My food with two San Miguel Lights came to 350 baht. I thought it was quite reasonably priced considering the quality. It beat the hell out of the new Carl's JR cheeseburger. Tomorrow he has the beef brisket special so I will be there again.

Sounds good, was it busy? what time were you there?

I was there around five in the afternoon. I like to sit in the open air area in front because I enjoy a cigarette after I eat. There were very few other customers.

He has the beef brisket a couple times a week, Sunday being one of those days. The last time I wanted it, they were sold out so it is best to go fairly early in the afternoon.

Disappointed today. I had painters in my condo today so I didn't get to the Purple Space Monkey until 2:00 PM. The beef brisket was already sold out. I settled for some type of Mexican food plate. It was OK but I was counting on the beef brisket. My bill including a San Miguel Light was 250 baht.