Lady Gaga In Hot Water Over Bangkok Concert

webfact

Somchai Seanglai, culture ministry permanent secretary, said his department sent Thai police a summary of all public complaints it received about Gaga's appearance in Bangkok. Though the ministry does not intend to seek legal action against the singer, he said, the formal complaint was to demonstrate its dissatisfaction.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/2012/06/15/gaga-thailand-complaint.html

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thai people have the greatest respect to the Thai flag, the greatest design by our previous KING. I do not have hard evidence, by I suspect that Farangs visiting Thailand in the old day are so impress that they directly copy it for their own use. Please check out the similarity to French and Dutch flag. I also suspect some newly form nation like USA, love the color scheme so much, and adopted it for their own flag. If only a patent system have existed during those old days, many Farang counties could still be paying royalty to Thailand.

Unknown to Farangs, the colors has great meaning: Red=nation, white=Buddhism, but the most important of all (hence the double width) is the blue sandwich in the middle represents our KING, being protected both side by Buddhism and all the Thai people

If you allow a half clad crazy lady (actually, despite her name, I prefer to use the term cow than lady) to sit on the bike and flag with her almost g-string flash exposing ass, it is the deepest insult to Thailand. Not only has she insulted the Thailand nation (Red), Buddha (White), and worst of all she has twice insulted our KING (twice the Blue width).

I hope she apology to the Thai nation, Buddhism and to our KING (twice, because of the double width blue). Else, I am sure there are a lot of fanatic patriots in Thailand, especially the yellow PAD, and the multicolored TUL, will report such matter to the Thai police in an ALLEGED breaking the LM 112 law. If some nut(s) really do, then the police (or worst, the DSI, or even the Interpol) will have to investigate and bring charges. The penalty for each violation is 3 to 20 years, COMPOUNDING.

For me, I will just pretend that I have no knowledge of this event, as I did not attend the concert, and never devour any of her flashy white products.

Ha ha suneeTH are you for real??! If this was a wind up, what a great job!!! If you were actually for real my god what world do you live in? Red white & blue is on many countries in different formats there are no patents for this & Thailand was way behind! You need to go to school & study world history preferably in an abroad university.

As for your comment that the flag she used the blue was too wide!!!.... Firstly you said you didn't attend the concert so how do you know, secondly there are no proper photos of the flag she used - if you are going by the one in the photos that were posted earlier that is NOT the Thai flag but Taiwan!!! And thirdly, SHE does not choose the flag, she has a request to the THAI organizers and ADVISERS and they get it all together for her. They arrange it. Thai not farang.

Somchai Seanglai, culture ministry permanent secretary, said his department sent Thai police a summary of all public complaints it received about Gaga's appearance in Bangkok. Though the ministry does not intend to seek legal action against the singer, he said, the formal complaint was to demonstrate its dissatisfaction.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/2012/06/15/gaga-thailand-complaint.html

OK, not satisfied, got it. Next important issue, please....

1) Lady Gaga upsets some Thais with her expressions during her visit which also included the use of the Thai flag.

2) Some Thais express their displeasure via complaints to the government

3) The ministry forwards a summary of these complaints to police with no request for prosecution.

Where is the problem? People expressing their views.

It would seem the outrage over the above is much more bizarre than the above incidents.

Edit: Section 118 Thai Penal Code ... Whoever, making any act to the flag or any other emblem to be symbolized the State with the intention to deride the Nation, shall be imprisoned not out of two years or fined not out of four thousand Baht, or both.

Edited by Nisa

1) Lady Gaga upsets some Thais with her expressions during her visit which also included the use of the Thai flag.

3) The ministry forwards a summary of these complaints to police with no request for prosecution.

It would seem the outrage over the above is much more bizarre than the above incidents.

Don't quite follow your logic. You say it is OK for people to express their views, and then disparage those who do, calling THEM bizarre. That is itself a bizarrely inconsistent position.

Don't quite follow your logic. You say it is OK for people to express their views, and then disparage those who do, calling THEM bizarre. That is itself a bizarrely inconsistent position.

As you have just done, I expressed my views.

And I didn't use the word "OK" nor did I call anybody "bizarre" ... commenting on a general expression is just that. It is not a comment about the person making such an expression.

Can you grasp this?

It can be disputed as we have the video from the concert in Thailand. See for yourself

There is absolutely no rational dispute it was the Thai Flag used at the concert. Rather that just looking at this one part of the video. why not look at this part (specifically at the 38 second mark)

Edit: be kind of messed up if she used the flag of the nation in every other country she visited but somehow got the Thai flag wrong. This certainly would have cause a different complaint ;-)

Edited by Nisa

It can be disputed as we have the video from the concert in Thailand. See for yourself

There is absolutely no rational dispute it was the Thai Flag used at the concert. Rather that just looking at this one part of the video. why not look at this part (specifically at the 38 second mark)

Edit: be kind of messed up if she used the flag of the nation in every other country she visited but somehow got the Thai flag wrong. This certainly would have cause a different complaint ;-)

All I see is this flag hung upside down

NETH0001.GIF

NETH0001.GIF

Are you just being stubborn or do you really believe she didn't use the Thai flag (but used the Netherlands' flag) while performing in Thailand?

This would be an even bigger insult (and a valid one imo) to many more citizens if her people couldn't even get the flag right.

Edited by Nisa

Are you just being stubborn or do you really believe she didn't use the Thai flag (but used the Netherlands' flag) while performing in Thailand?

This would be an even bigger insult (and a valid one imo) to many more citizens if her people couldn't even get the flag right.

I'm being stubborn. tongue.png Quite frankly I find this whole thread and the story behind it a big joke and so I find it hard to be serious about it.

• Like 1

As you have just done, I expressed my views.

And I didn't use the word "OK" nor did I call anybody "bizarre" ... commenting on a general expression is just that. It is not a comment about the person making such an expression.

Can you grasp this?

Grasping writhing eels is always problematic.

I'm being stubborn. tongue.png Quite frankly I find this whole thread and the story behind it a big joke and so I find it hard to be serious about it.

+1clap2.gif

Thai people have the greatest respect to the Thai flag, the greatest design by our previous KING. I do not have hard evidence, by I suspect that Farangs visiting Thailand in the old day are so impress that they directly copy it for their own use. Please check out the similarity to French and Dutch flag. I also suspect some newly form nation like USA, love the color scheme so much, and adopted it for their own flag. If only a patent system have existed during those old days, many Farang counties could still be paying royalty to Thailand.

Brilliant, you don't have any hard evidence, but you went ahead and claimed that farang flags are based on the Thai one anyway.

Even taking the youngest of those nations as an example, the USA has been using red, white and blue since 1777, between then and now, the only thing that has really changed is the number of stars.

The Thai flag you have today came into existence in 1917, prior to that, it was a white elephant on a plain red background.

You have a computer, why don't you use it for research purposes.

Actually, no, you had better not do that as you may find out that the rest of your xenophobic rant is a little bit outside of reality.

Don't bother dwelling on; totally ill informed, nationalistic, navel gazing.

The amount of shockingly wrong misinformation contained in this Top quoted post,

negates any possibility of taking it seriously. Sad really.

Some here clearly think:

The world revolves around Thailand's existence,

and every Thai thought and deed, is the controlling force

behind all the good and right that happens in the world...

Myopia of fantastic proportions.

And the shortest route to going nowhere fast in the world.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 2

what is funny is if you look at the various video parts on Youtube, she is doing nothing but praising Thais and their culture during the whole flag displaying incident. I think the OP is dwelling on the flag but according to other news reports, the minster forwarded a summary of all complaints of her behavior and it wasn't specifically about the flag. She has been getting complaints from a number of countries where there are many people who hold more conservative values. Nothing new here, this has been going on with music and fashion all over the world for a very long time. I'm sure there were those back in the day who thought Beethoven was the spawn of the devil.

Edited by Nisa
  • Like 1

Unknown to Farangs, the colors has great meaning: Red=nation, white=Buddhism, but the most important of all (hence the double width) is the blue sandwich in the middle represents our KING, being protected both side by Buddhism and all the Thai people

Thai Flag Meaning:

The red stripes represent the blood spilt to maintain Thailand's independence. The white stands for purity and is the color of Buddhism which is the country's main religion. Blue is Thailand's national color and it represents the Thai monarchy. The blue is also used to honor Thailand's World War I allies, Great Britain, France, United States and Russia, who all had red, white and blue flags.

Thai Flag History:

The current Thai flag was adopted on September 28, 1917, making it one of the world's older flags. From the mid-19th century until 1916, Thailand, which was called Siam until 1939, used a red based flag with a white elephant on it. That flag was replaced in 1916 with a red-white-red-white-red horizontal striped flag which was modified in 1917, when the blue center replaced red.

The story goes that during a flood King Vajiravudh (Rama VI) saw the flag hanging upside-down, and to prevent this from happening again created a new flag which was symmetrical.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Thailand

http://www.worldflags101.com/t/thailand-flag.aspx

A post in which content from Bangkok Post was copy and pasted has been removed as per forum rule 31. Another post in which the reply was made within the quoted post with different colored font has been removed as per rule 30. The subsequent replies were also removed.

Yes, me too. It's like children who had their marbles taken away. Love it when they lose face!

I love it when they get all indignant! and patriotic!

And when your values are questioned or ridiculed you merely smile indulgently, right.

I hope she apology to the Thai nation, Buddhism and to our KING (twice, because of the double width blue). Else, I am sure there are a lot of fanatic patriots in Thailand, especially the yellow PAD, and the multicolored TUL, will report such matter to the Thai police in an ALLEGED breaking the LM 112 law. If some nut(s) really do, then the police (or worst, the DSI, or even the Interpol) will have to investigate and bring charges. The penalty for each violation is 3 to 20 years, COMPOUNDING.

For me, I will just pretend that I have no knowledge of this event, as I did not attend the concert, and never devour any of her flashy white products.

I think you need to pull that stick out, it is making you much too uptight!

They're not used to free speech here yet. There are too many things Thais are not allowed to say, or in some cases think. It's all about moving the primitive ideologues out and letting freer minds run the joint.

Spot on!

They're not used to free speech here yet. There are too many things Thais are not allowed to say, or in some cases think. It's all about moving the primitive ideologues out and letting freer minds run the joint.

Spot on!

At the Olympics of reality denial and nationalistic ignorance , Thailand will win all the gold medals for sure .

Grow up!!!!!!!!

People at the concert probably loved it.

Come on for crying loud!!!! What about the dressing up of animals in the thai flag.... Seen a dog all dressed up in tbr thai flag wearing sunglasses, wonder what the senior officer has to say to that? Easy to track it down ask Pattaya mail for the pictures

I'm sure she's quaking in her boots over this one.

I take it this brilliant move is for DOMESTIC political consumption. Oh well ...

She'll be arrested next time she enters Thailand.

But released because it was all a misunderstanding when a US Fleet carrier arrives off Sattahip. A replay of 1941 with a different country playing the lead role. Sorry, I was only fantasising.

Seeing how insensitive Thais are about the display of the swastika I wonder how they would react if farangs wandered around draped with the Rising Sun?

half the population have no idea whos flag it was , the other half probably believe they kicked the japs out single handed ,........ they only learn about thailand in a positive light , ...ignorance is bliss !

I think that less than half the Thai populace know that the Japs were ever here - and even fewer that there was a fair sprinkling of Koreans amongst them.

• Like 1

Another pathetic statement from the culture ministry, how about they do something about her pirated albums or is that just part of the culture?

I give you the current Thai Minister of Culture... Sukumol Kunplome.

This not a joke. This is the official photo of her on the Thai website: http://thainews.prd....ewscabinet.html

This woman should not throw stones? I think she lives in a pretty big glass house!

29.jpg

And we all know who her father in law is.

Wow, the minister of culture looks incredibly hip. She is obviously up with the latest fashion trends, in addition to being fully aware of the world of music, dance, fine art, ballet, opera, live theatre, live comedy, live jazz, and all of the other areas in which the ministry of culture is very active, promoting a wide range of international culture, and educating the youth about the latest trends in the world of culture. Yudos, for this super hip your woman, for taking the bull by the horns, and making a huge effort to make her country a world leader in these areas.

• Like 1

Lady Gaga is unconventional looking (i mean naturally), but i think she is quite beautiful, interestingly beautiful. Im not a fan much, but i find it laughable that anyone would say shes unattractive. Maybe from guys that only like the conventional barbie doll image. Personally i find men and women who have something different, more character, much more appealing.

Keyser, as much as you'd give it your best shot, given what her ex's have looked like, do you really think she would be flattered by your attempts?

Right, and as long as she's not fat!

Always feel a little gobsmacked when guys here make some comments about women, usually because they are sprouting from guys that you wouldnt exactly call Gods gift to women. You gotta laugh.

Whatever gift God gave women, they'd never be satisfied. All too often after marriage women try to change their man, the men on the other hand wishes his wife to stay just the way she was when they were courting.

This Buddhist country needs to remember that when you judge other people they are not following the precepts of Buddhism. The things people see in others which do not approve of are issues inside their ownselves they haven't resolved.

It nothing more than a refection of their own selves. If that were not the case, they wouldn't be at issue with anything.

If this is the case maybe the BIB and the legal system should be disassembled. Some think it has already.

SuneeTH's comment was obviously a piss-take, and a good one at that. As a public school social studies teacher I might add that the blue added to the original red and white scheme is most significantly related to the day of the week that the monarch at the time was born, not the flags of allies or anybody else.

NETH0001.GIF

It is doubtful she even saw the flag placement before going on stage.

More likely is that

NONE OF THE THAI CONTRACTED STAGE WORKERS said anything,

to anyone, and corrected what would have been obvious to them.

We can't blame her for a simple stage crew mistake,

that OTHER Thai members of the staff could have caught before it went on stage.

And of course they are totally ignoring the outpouring of love

she showed that she had for the country that she expresed

for quite a long time from the stage.

Really the carping is very much showing 'no class', on the complainers part.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 1

If you allow a half clad crazy lady (actually, despite her name, I prefer to use the term cow than lady) to sit on the bike and flag with her almost g-string flash exposing ass, it is the deepest insult to Thailand. Not only has she insulted the Thailand nation (Red), Buddha (White), and worst of all she has twice insulted our KING (twice the Blue width).

The flag of the Kingdom of Thailand shows five horizontal stripes in the colours red, white, blue, white and red, with the middle blue stripe being twice as wide as each of the other four. The design was adopted on 28 September 1917, according to the royal decree about the flag in that year; the Thai name for the flag is ธงไตรรงค์ (Thong Trairong), meaning tricolour flag. The colours are said to stand for nation-religion-king, an unofficial motto of Thailand, red for the land and people, white for Theravada Buddhism and blue for the monarchy, as having been the auspicious colour of King Rama VI. As the king had declared war on Germany that July, some note the flag now bore the same colours as those of Britain and France.

The design for the Union Flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland was agreed upon in 1801. The current US flag dates back all the way to 1958. Your fantasy is way off beam and any supposed royalties should be remitted to London, I think they need the money.

I assume that you enjoyed all the benefits of a Thai education. Not much of a gift was it? BTW thanks for your assistance in WW1. What did it actually amount to?

The design for the Union Flag of Gret Britain and Norther Ireland

Edited by Bagwan
  • Like 1