Thailand, Cambodia Launch Direct Bus Services Linking Bangkok, Phnom Penh

Thailand, Cambodia launch direct bus services linking Bangkok, Phnom Penh

image_20120615144731EF1C7F7D-C7E1-AF6D-6A56DD2CF050BE3B.jpg

BANGKOK, June 15 – Thailand and Cambodia on Thursday launched direct bus services linking Bangkok and Phnom Penh via the Aranyaprathet-Poipet border crossing, aiming to cut transportation costs.

Transport Minister Jarupong Ruangsuwan and Cambodian Public Works and Transport Minister Tram Iv Tek and representatives of the Asian Development Bank (ADB) co-presided at the official opening of the new service.

Initially, the parties agreed to run 80 border crossing buses and trucks including 30 passenger buses and 10 trucks from Cambodia to Thailand and 10 passenger buses and 30 trucks from Thailand to Cambodia.

The two countries have targeted increasing the number of buses and trucks to 500 per day at a later time.

The new service offers two routes, linking Bangkok and Phnom Penh via Aranyaprathet and the other route connecting Bangkok, Laem Chabang, Poipet, Sisophon.

The two ministers agreed to open a new checkpoint near the Klongluek border check point in Aranyaprathet to reduce traffic congestion and plan to connect Thailand’s Bangkok-Aranyaprathet railway route with Cambodia’s Poipet-Battambang rail line next year to cut transportation costs.

The transport linkages between Thailand and Cambodia are meant to expand to include Vietnamese cities including Ho Chi Minh City in the future.

Suon Vanhong, deputy director of the Transport Department of Cambodia's Transport Ministry, was quoted by the China’s official Xinhua News Agency as saying that the direct Phnom Penh-Bangkok bus route via Poipet International Checkpoint in Banteay Meanchey province is expected to cut travel time between the two capitals.

The Asian Development Bank's Thailand Resident Mission Director Craig Steffensen said in a press release on Thursday that the ability to move people, goods and vehicles across borders efficiently is at the heart of regional economic integration.

"Today's launch will reduce logistics costs and facilitate economic growth and social development between Thailand, Cambodia and other Mekong nations," he said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-06-15

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so does that mean the bus is running now? from mo chit? anyone know how much and how long it takes to phnom penh?

can non asean passengers (farang) get visa on arrival when crossing into cambodia with this service u think?

so does that mean the bus is running now? from mo chit? anyone know how much and how long it takes to phnom penh?

can non asean passengers (farang) get visa on arrival when crossing into cambodia with this service u think?

Tour bus I went on organised visas at a stop just before the border, no probs,

Good news especially for Siam Reap, where the alternative is that overpriced flight on Bangkok Airways. To PP it's a little less attractive -- about ten hours of driving and no doubt another hour or two waiting at the border vs. an hour by Air Asia.

What I'd really love is for Cambodia to get their train rehab project back on track. But that's proven such a total fiasco that buses are probably the most we can hope for.

How will they deal with Cambodian buses having the wheel on the other side and who will be driving them?

Wonder which bus company paid for the rights

Personally i wouldn't trust Thai's or Cambodians driving on the wrong side ( which ever side that is)

so they will need to change buses and drivers at the border

Anyone know the distance.....the duration of the trip....???

(Visa runs can be quite scary.....8-10 hours.....the drivers nearly falling asleep .....plus the routes to the north are dangerous in themselves....Do they use 2 drivers...???)

anyone know how much and how long it takes to phnom penh?

Would like the answer to those two questions as well... how long does it normally take (have never done) and is visa a hassle? I suspect not. Cheers!

You can get a visa on the internet:http://evisa.mfaic.gov.kh/

Bus travel from BKK to Koh Kong, Cambodian border via Trat takes about 4 hours by bus to Trat, a 45 minute van trip from Trat to the border, and a 15 minute taxi, tuk tuk, or motorcycle ride to Koh Kong. The total is about 400-500 Bt.

Crossing the border takes about 20-30 minutes and a 200 m walk. Pay the small fee one of the locals touts asks to take your visa through the process and you will avoid the hassel of having to fight with the greedy immigration officers over the fact that a visa only costs $20.

A bus from Koh Kong to PNH takes about 4.5 - 5 hours and cost $18 (i.e.540 Bt) a year ago. The bus from Koh Kong to Sihanoukville takes about 4-4.5 hours. The Cambodian buses I took a year ago were very nice double decker buses like the tour companies use here in Thailand, not one of the old tired junkers that are used by the Thai bus companies.

The trip though Poipet and Bantumbang to PNH is longer.

Plan on spending a full day on buses and arriving in PNH in early evening. Water and soft drinks are usually served on the Thai express busses and on the Cambodian busses but I alwasy take a bottle of water as well. There are usually chances to get off the bus to eat but take your own food if you aren't fond of Thai or Cambodian food. If you do buy Thai or Cambodian food buy only fresh cooked food or hot soup to avoid the Bangkok or PNH Trots.

Edited by HarrySeaman

Bus travel from BKK to Koh Kong, Cambodian border via Trat takes about 4 hours by bus to Trat, a 45 minute van trip from Trat to the border, and a 15 minute taxi, tuk tuk, or motorcycle ride to Koh Kong. The total is about 400-500 Bt.

Crossing the border takes about 20-30 minutes and a 200 m walk. Pay the small fee one of the locals touts asks to take your visa through the process and you will avoid the hassel of having to fight with the greedy immigration officers over the fact that a visa only costs $20.

A bus from Koh Kong to PNH takes about 4.5 - 5 hours and cost $18 (i.e.540 Bt) a year ago. The bus from Koh Kong to Sihanoukville takes about 4-4.5 hours. The Cambodian buses I took a year ago were very nice double decker buses like the tour companies use here in Thailand, not one of the old tired junkers that are used by the Thai bus companies.

The trip though Poipet and Bantumbang to PNH is longer.

Plan on spending a full day on buses and arriving in PNH in early evening. Water and soft drinks are usually served on the Thai express busses and on the Cambodian busses but I alwasy take a bottle of water as well. There are usually chances to get off the bus to eat but take your own food if you aren't fond of Thai or Cambodian food. If you do buy Thai or Cambodian food buy only fresh cooked food or hot soup to avoid the Bangkok or PNH Trots.

Right. You now have a choice and can use the new service or not. I am sure that many people will use the new service. More importantly (and this is mentioned only on a side note in the article) is that a few trucks can now also run directly and the cargo does not have to be reloaded at the border any more.

I would personally also recommend BKK-Chantaburi-Ban Parakard-Pailin-Battambang as it's a nice alternative. Takes a little more switching transport, though.

• Like 1

How will they deal with Cambodian buses having the wheel on the other side and who will be driving them?

Personally i wouldn't trust Thai's or Cambodians driving on the wrong side ( which ever side that is)

Can't see the difference myself. Most Thai drivers I see are hurtling towards me on the wrong side of the road. But fortunately they flash their lights so that makes it OK.

• Like 1

anyone know how much and how long it takes to phnom penh?

Would like the answer to those two questions as well... how long does it normally take (have never done) and is visa a hassle? I suspect not. Cheers!

Visa on arrival in Cambodia, no problem, $20, Vietnam requires it to be bought in advance. The journey is about 10 hours

This is a road safety issue I actually brought up with the ministry of transport. Several land-connected countries within ASEAN are LHD countries (left-hand drive) while several others are RHD countries. My question is whether they plan to unify this. So far, there are no such plans.

I have lobbied for free border traffic within ASEAN for a few years and will continue to do so. The Cross-Border Transport Agreement (CBTA) was signed several years ago, and the implementation is overdue. Buses are not the real issue, as passengers can walk and carry their baggage from one bus to the other, trucks are. Reloading of cargo is expensive and causes opportunity for damage. Along with the bus licences, a few truck licneces have been issued. The concern about LHD vs. RHD is less here, because trucks are not supposed to overtake. I remember that trucks in Italy had their steering wheel on the right-hand side in my youth even though they drive on the right side of the road.

“….. including 30 passenger buses and 10 trucks from Cambodia to Thailand and 10 passenger buses and 30 trucks from Thailand to Cambodia.”

Who writes these things up ? Is this a quote from an official press release or an example of some reporter’s ramblings somewhere along the information trail ?

At this rate I’d be interested to know, just for the sake of curiosity, will Thailand run out of trucks before Cambodia runs out of buses ?

I recall years back a part of British Rail claimed they took 2 million people to work each morning and took 1,950,000 back home in the evening. I’ve always wondered where those other 50,000 went to each day. Guess it must have been a good time to be a taxi driver on the evening shift.

good news about the train

the problem with the buses at the moment is tourists don't know about the cambodian side

so middlemen are making a lot of money

taking most tourists out to a bus station 7kms from the border and charging three times the price of the bus price

a fair proper bus service with everything in the open is surely welcome

in the meantime i recommend getting the 6am minibus from victory monument..

it flies to the border and you beat the crowds who turn up at midday

then there is a good hotel for about 300-500 baht (and some dirt cheap guesthouses) near the real bus station

buses leave in the mornings to battambang, siem reap and phnom penh

otherwise you could get a later bus to battambang and get another bus to phnom penh

or go with the crowd, share a taxi to siem reap and then another bus from there

i'm really looking forward to the train getting going in cambodia

great news all round.. especially as last year it seemed there could've been war between the countries.. good stuff!

• Like 1