Farang Speak - Communicating In Thai

GPage

As I prepare to relocate to Thailand at the start of next year, I have been gathering information from those who have already gone through the experience. Absolutely great responses from a very helpful and considerate group in the Thai Forum.

Here's yet another topic that I hope to get some feedback on. When I was stationed at Korat RTAFB some 35 years ago, I spoke a version of Thai that I'm sure was common for G.I.'s Although I had a genuine interest in not only learning the language, but speaking it properly and with politeness and respect, I'm sure my version was tolerated at best. That was a long time ago, but it's strange how things come rushing back to you. Aside from an occasional Thai restaurant trip, I haven't spoken Thai since '71.

I have checked out a few sites that have skill sets and audio lessons for those who want to learn Thai. I understand that the tonal nature of proper Thai language is probably the most difficult to master, and don't expect to whip through any lessons easily. But, I have a year to practice and hope to be somewhat conversant by the time I land in Phuket.

Can anyone give me any tips on the best way to become fluent in Thai? What have you experienced? What level of expertise is required for reasonable day to day activities? Are you concerned with being able to speak proper Thai, or just satisfied with being able to get through the market without having to speak English?

Thanks again for all of the advice, folks.

Gary

Agree with Chopper - there are threads in the Thai section on those cds and books to buy.

The guys I know who speak good Thai went to school in Bangkok for a few months, learning 5 days a week.

But I learned without doing that - I hung around Thai only institutions and bars. I also bought the AUA learn to read and write book and taught myself that. Also watching lots of TV.

Possibly the way I improved the most was to have a Thai gf and friends who couldn't speak any English. 'Immersion' as the experts call it is by far the best way IMHO.

The ABSOLSUTELY BEST WAY to learn to speak Thai is to speak and respond to nothing else.

Don't speak any other language!!! When someone speaks to you in English....don't respond! Insist that they speak Thai. This is TOTAL IMMERSION! It is absolutely the best way. It will be inconvenient at first but if you actually do it this way (I doubt that you will) you will be amazed at how quickly you will learn to focus on the language and how quickly you will learn.

It is likely that many will scoff at this advice but believe me it is the ABSOLUTELY BEST WAY to learn to speak any language and is pretty much guaranteed to be fool proof and effective. You will probably only have to use this method for a couple of months and then you will know enough to use other methods and your own native language.....

If you feel that you can't pull this off then do whatever you can and keep in mind that the closer what you are doing is to this ideal situation then the more effective it will be.

Edited by chownah

The ABSOLSUTELY BEST WAY to learn to speak Thai is to speak and respond to nothing else.

Don't speak any other language!!! When someone speaks to you in English....don't respond! Insist that they speak Thai. This is TOTAL IMMERSION! It is absolutely the best way. It will be inconvenient at first but if you actually do it this way (I doubt that you will) you will be amazed at how quickly you will learn to focus on the language and how quickly you will learn.

It is likely that many will scoff at this advice but believe me it is the ABSOLUTELY BEST WAY to learn to speak any language and is pretty much guaranteed to be fool proof and effective. You will probably only have to use this method for a couple of months and then you will know enough to use other methods and your own native language.....

If you feel that you can't pull this off then do whatever you can and keep in mind that the closer what you are doing is to this ideal situation then the more effective it will be.

Actually, it's very excellent advice, chownah. I know a guy who first came to Thailand with the Special Forces back in the mid-60s. For training they had to speak strictly Thai for 6 months.

I've been here for 3+ years and I'm embarassed at my progress. It pisses me off at times. :o I swear I should take your advice! My wifey's English sure did take a huge jump up, though. :D

Actually, it's very excellent advice, chownah. I know a guy who first came to Thailand with the Special Forces back in the mid-60s. For training they had to speak strictly Thai for 6 months.

I've been here for 3+ years and I'm embarassed at my progress. It pisses me off at times. :o I swear I should take your advice! My wifey's English sure did take a huge jump up, though. :D

Thanks for the advise, folks. The one year that I was in Thailand, I lived with a girl that spoke very little English. It was a chore for both of us to communicate, but I was determined to learn as much as I could so we would be able to converse in other than short sentences. I was in the USAF and obviously didn't have the luxury of being in a Thai environment at all times. I agree that total immersion is the best way to go. I think your mind starts to relearn like a child's mind would when you have no other options or tools. Although it is probably more frustrating and time consuming than a planned lesson or school, I think it is the best way to go.

I will begin here in the states to refamiliarize myself with the language, tones, and grammar with tapes and any online material I can get. Then, at this time next year, I hope to be able to arrive in LOS and begin the immersion process with a bit more self confidence.

Thanks again to a most helpful forum.

Gary

1. Take formal lessons.

2. Find yourself a good Thai companion who will tolerate your mistakes and reinforce your Thai.

Take care not to learn all the bad Thai that bar girls will teach you!!

Edited by astral

Little kids make for excellent teachers, too. My wifey gets tired of repeating a word or phrase often enough until I get the pronunciation right (I'm a stickler for proper pronunciation). Her 7-year-old son and 10-year-old niece put up with the repetition much more readily. And, you don't have to pay them for the lessons!! :o

Proper pronunciation is tough at times, as you have to teach your mouth some new tricks. There's a lot of rolling of the "R"s, which I know most Americans aren't accustomed to (listen to an American trying to speak German). Fortunately, being German makes that one easy for me as I think they are the masters of it.