Anyone Know What This Means #2!

Jersey_UK

Bit of a long winded story (sorry!) but I have never got a satisfactory answer, despite asking many many Thai people, including the Missus, over many years. I do not think there is an easy answer - indeed I am pretty much reconciled to there not being any "satisfactory" answer at all!!

But you know how some things just "bug" you :o

About 9 years ago I was in Koh Samuii for around 6 months. I had to do a visa run, and decided to head off down to Malaysia (Penang), A couple of days in Penang whilst my passport got it's new Visa and I had a bit of a rest and then the return trip was exactly the same.

I arrived back in Samuii, at Lamaii around 7am. Unsurprisingly the place was pretty much closed. I was 100% shattered from all the travelling Ferries, coaches and trains and all I was wanting was to get a room and sleep for a week! My brain was not exactly functioning much anymore.

I decided that Lamai Inn 99 was where I would be staying again (at this point I wished that I had just kept my room for a few days - I learnt this lesson for the future!).

Anyway, the Bungalow resort was deserted of staff at 7am, so I thought no great problem I will just sit at their beach side bar / restaurant overlooking the ocean and enjoy the early morning view and maybe catch a few zzzz's for an hour or two until the staff start appearing.

I was their maybe half hour or so when a young Thai girl appeared, maybe 13 - something like that, she was clearly staff and was getting the place ready for the day ahead. We didn't seem to become aware of each other until she was quite close, me in a daze and her I guess being on automatic pilot at that time of the morning.

She stopped in front of me and looked at me in complete surprise and some confusion and possibly some alarm - obviously when she had done this early morning job 1 million times before she had never been confronted with a strange looking Farang sitting their and now looking at her.

It was one of those situations where it seemed to require someone to say something, rather than just exchange smiles and a polite nod.

I should just explain here that at the time I was around 30, been around the block a few times and to Thailand a couple of times before - although I was someone who was quite comfortable sitting in the Beer Bars with the BG's whilst I got drunk I did appreciate that the Beer Bars were not "normal" Thailand - and that when I was dealing with Thai folk away from the "Nightlife" different rules applied. But that I was also aware that however I acted that male Farang carry a certain "reputation" when it comes to reasons for visiting Thailand, so being ALONE with a young Thai girl is a situation I would have deliberately NEVER allowed myself to be in. I was feeling very awkward.

But I am British. and in a Restaurant. A cup of Tea sorts EVERYTHING out! :D

So I asked her for a cup of Tea. In English. (and as freindly and smiley as I can :D )

No response, but she started to look a bit more relaxed, but still confused.

I asked again, "cup of Tea?" (you can imagine how the next few attempts by a British person abroad went :D ).

Still no response, but the confusion and apprehension about my presence had been replaced by a childlike curiosity (she WAS a child of course!) as to what this strange looking Farang was trying to communicate.

I stood up and desperately looked around for something I could point at (a Teapot would have been great at that point, but alas......... :D ). I started trying to think. I HAD learnt the Thai word for Tea.......or something like that?? What was is it ?? "Cha long", "Chalom", "Chalonnnnnnggggg" etc etc (every tone and variation I could throw at a word beggining with the word "Cha").

Then BINGO! she gave me a wide eyed "OOOOOOOOOOOOOO" and a fit of school girl giggles. I repeated the "word" WITH hand actions of drinking a cup of tea.

I got another "OOOOOO", more giggles and then she took a couple of steps towards me. Pinched my nipples playfully (through my T-shirt I should add). Giggled more vigourosly...............and ran off.

To say that I was bewildered was an understatement, nothing had happened to me like this before in Thailand (or elsewhere!) or has happened since.

I had no idea what I had said in Thai, but I was pretty sure it was NOT "I am very very tired, whilst I am waiting for the hotel to open can I please have a cup of Tea". I was also trying to think whether I had said any of the "rude" words I had learned or whether their was anything I had said or done which could possibly be misinterpreted. I couldn't think of anything. In fact at that point I was also having trouble beleiving it had just happened.

How does a bloke explain to anyone the cirmcumstances in which a 13 year old girl he has never met before would pinch his nipples - that sounds "normal"?????............. or even vaguely believable. Let alone explaining it in a Foreign Language.........whilst carrying the "baggage" of being a single Farang male who had spent the previous 3 months propping up the local Beer Bars.

Anyway, I thought I would wait and see what happened. MAYBE my cup of tea would arrive?

5 minutes later she came back, with no cup of tea, but still smiling.............. and alone - I was thankful that no (understandably????) angry Father was in tow.

By this time I had spotted a white board with half a breakfast menu written on it - although no "cup of tea" was listed I had decided that I would just try and order something (anything!) so she could put 2 + 2 together and come up with 4! I didn't care WHAT I ordered or what arrived!

However the penny quickly dropped with another "OOOOOO", more giggles. My cup of tea arrived.

I didn't stay long at the Lamii Inn 99 and never saw the young girl again.

But to this day I have no idea what I said to her to cause her to grab my nipples (it was not an aggressive act!) - I figure it MUST have been something a bit rude...........but no idea if was very very rude or just a bit naughty.

I HAVE talked to some BG's about this over the years, who would NOT be shy about saying anything to me - and have never really come up with anything satisfactory.

As I said, maybe 9 years ago - could be (hopefully!) that the young girl from Samuii is now at Uni and is reading this website! (who knows with Thailand!).

But in the absence of this, can anyone think of how trying to say Tea / Cup of Tea in simple English and Thai could be misinterpreted or even just something which would cause a 13 year girl to playfully grab a strange mans nipples????

That certainly is bewildering behavior! :D

I'll guess that you were trying to say "cha ron", which means "hot tea"?

cha (middle tone) = tea

ron (high tone) = hot

But maybe in using "every tone and variation" you could throw at a word beginning with the word "Cha", you might've said something that sounded like "cha nohm", which means "tea with milk"

cha (middle tone) = tea

nohm (middle tone) = milk..... or alternatively, breast(s) :D

So perhaps she understood that...

- you wanted tea with milk (cha nohm), and she pinched your nipple to confirm the "milk/breast" part :D

- you wanted a glass of milk (nohm), and she pinched your man-boobs (nohm) to show this comprehension :D

That doesn't explain why she came back empty-handed the first time though.. perhaps there was no milk, but she didn't know how to explain that? (though I suppose she could've repeated her previous action whilst shaking her head and saying "no" :D )

Then when she finally realized it was cha ron, not nohm that you wanted, she scurried back to prepare your requested beverage :D

OR, as "cha" can also mean "numb", maybe she thought you were just saying you had numb boobs, so she helpfully pinched your nipple to improve circulation :o

Edited by siamesekitty

The only thing I can think of is that the way you said "cup of tea "/ cup pa tea / could be missedheard as " ขอที " /khor tee / which means one time ,give me one. This could be missedinterpreted as to be asked for sex.

Also the words " chalonggg " , "chalom" for thai ears is ฉลอง /cha- long / ,เฉลิม /cha-lerm /= let's have fun or let's celebrate.

It seems the most likely explaination to me.

Cheers a lot folks - a fair few ideas which seem at least reasonable and would explain things, especially as I was dealing with a child - of course I will never actually KNOW what she thought I had said. :D But I think I can lay this thing to rest now!

And all this happened 9 years ago, yet you remember it so vividly (what an uneventful life you must have!)
An uneventful life? I WISH - especially in Thailand - but that is for another time.............

Dickie_Doo, the reason why it stuck with me was it was so bizarre, for me anyway as someone who is not used to children I have never met before touching me - but what other folk are used to in Thailand may be a different story??

I guess it also stuck with me because I had occassionaly tried to find out the answer over the years - and I am somebody who once they get curious about something finds it hard to let go.

It also really knocked my confidence in trying to learn the language (admittedly didn't take a lot) - apart from the usual BS Thai in the Bars - although this may well just be an excuse. :o

Cha in a very nearly similar pronounciation also means "darling".

Only if you are extremely hard of hearing. :o

Sure smart guy:

Tea = ชา

Darling = จ๋า

You say that out loud and listen for the difference. Remember to turn on your hearing aid :D

That certainly is bewildering behavior! :D

I'll guess that you were trying to say "cha ron", which means "hot tea"?

cha (middle tone) = tea

ron (high tone) = hot

But maybe in using "every tone and variation" you could throw at a word beginning with the word "Cha", you might've said something that sounded like "cha nohm", which means "tea with milk"

cha (middle tone) = tea

nohm (middle tone) = milk..... or alternatively, breast(s) :D

So perhaps she understood that...

- you wanted tea with milk (cha nohm), and she pinched your nipple to confirm the "milk/breast" part :D

- you wanted a glass of milk (nohm), and she pinched your man-boobs (nohm) to show this comprehension :D

That doesn't explain why she came back empty-handed the first time though.. perhaps there was no milk, but she didn't know how to explain that? (though I suppose she could've repeated her previous action whilst shaking her head and saying "no" :D )

Then when she finally realized it was cha ron, not nohm that you wanted, she scurried back to prepare your requested beverage :D

OR, as "cha" can also mean "numb", maybe she thought you were just saying you had numb boobs, so she helpfully pinched your nipple to improve circulation :o

Quite resonable all the reasons about *Nom* :D This is very funny thread for today Jersey Uk might have pretty cute nipples :D and the girl might shy but playful with a ive Farang. He ordered *Cha * she might want to know or to be sure if he wants * Cha Sai Nom* ....to make sure ...she squeezed his nipples ....grrrrrrrr :burp:

Edited by Saothai

I stood up and desperately looked around for something I could point at (a Teapot would have been great at that point, but alas......... sad.gif ). I started trying to think. I HAD learnt the Thai word for Tea.......or something like that?? What was is it ?? "Cha long", "Chalom", "Chalonnnnnnggggg" etc etc (every tone and variation I could throw at a word beggining with the word "Cha").

I'd have done the "I'm a little teapot" song and mime - I'm an expert now. :o

Only if you are extremely hard of hearing. :D

Sure smart guy:

Tea = ชา

Darling = จ๋า

You say that out loud and listen for the difference. Remember to turn on your hearing aid :D

The two words don't sound alike to me.

'Jaa' & 'Cha'... :o

Another possible pronunciation confusion would be,

Chai Ron/chai Lon

Maybe swhe heard Jai=Heart, Nom... Milk of the heart something like that.... Along those lines.

How old would she be now... My email address....HM!

She could have just been a crazy girl and the nipple thing was just to weird you out - which she succeeded with. ;-)

There is of course a possibility that what you said had something to do with it, but I think it wouldnt be too far-fetched to think it had nothing to do with it, as well.

Speaking of which, once on the cheapo bus from Chiang Mai to Pai, a hilltribe lady without teeth, standing next to what was probably her husband, dug one of her hands down my jeans (yes, very close to that spot) and pulled up a bit of my underwear, checked it out and chuckled out heartily (was wearing reasonably clean white cotton boxers, nothing extreme)... I was so perplexed by this old lady who looked older than my own grandma, that I didnt know what to do.

I didnt say anything before either - how would you interpret that? :D

Another interesting one was when riding a songthaew along the newly paved road from Mae Sot to Mae Sariang, and we stopped in a village along the way. A lady who looked just as old as the one in the previous story, came walking towards the bus, but just before she stepped up onto the paved road she squatted on the dirt soi and pulled up a bit of her skirt and laid a nice cable. When finished, she got up, brushed off some dust off her skirt and jumped up on the songthaew with a smile. :o

Sure smart guy:

Tea = ชา

Darling = จ๋า

Eh.....? :D

redrus

Another interesting one was when riding a songthaew along the newly paved road from Mae Sot to Mae Sariang, and we stopped in a village along the way. A lady who looked just as old as the one in the previous story, came walking towards the bus, but just before she stepped up onto the paved road she squatted on the dirt soi and pulled up a bit of her skirt and laid a nice cable. When finished, she got up, brushed off some dust off her skirt and jumped up on the songthaew with a smile. :o

If the gal also had done that in Samuii, I would probably still be in therapy :D

Edited by Jersey_UK

• 2 weeks later...

Sure smart guy:

Tea = ชา

Darling = จ๋า

Eh.....? :D

redrus

They start with different consonants and have different tones. How much more different can you get? Unless you miss those elements and go straight to า..... าาาาาาาา :D It's like saying you can't hear the difference between goat and coat.