Farang Selling Durian.

maiphedmaiaroi

Your sentence does not make sense. If they are a citizen then they are Thai. Of course they can do anything. But marrying a Thai doesn't make you a citizen.

When I first came here, a Western woman marrying a Thai man could get citizenship very easily. A Western man marrying a Thai woman could not. I'm not sure what the law is now.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now shall we start on all the farangs working here on the internet on tourist visas or farang bar owners who make their profits from bar fines ?

Is working on the internet illegal ?

Working without a work permit is illegal, full stop.

Edited by NomadJoe

Technically anything that can be interpreted as useful work performed within the kingdom, even on a volunteer basis, requires a work permit.

In practice enforcement is very very selective, and usually only happens when you're competing with someone with connections or otherwise sticking your neck out, stepping on toes. Keep your head down and mouth shut and 99% of the time you should be fine.

Which above statements should not be construed as encouraging any illegal activities.

...because you'll need a work permit for that. Wait...no, sorry that's on the Thai protected jobs list. :)~

Oh ho, the others are finally catching on to the utopian life of a durian salesman; which is slightly upscale to a cupcake monger but equally as desirable.

I guess the gig is up, everyone is going to want to get a piece of the action.

• Like 1

"English Teacher" with a part time job ?....rolleyes.gif

Show me a Thai that is able to make 250B an hour teaching English and I will show you a Thai that is not struggling.

There are a lot of them. Thai English professors often make more than that.

And they are struggling?

Your sentence does not make sense. If they are a citizen then they are Thai. Of course they can do anything. But marrying a Thai doesn't make you a citizen.

When I first came here, a Western woman marrying a Thai man could get citizenship very easily. A Western man marrying a Thai woman could not. I'm not sure what the law is now.

Interesting. Did not know that.

Oh ho, the others are finally catching on to the utopian life of a durian salesman; which is slightly upscale to a cupcake monger but equally as desirable.

I guess the gig is up, everyone is going to want to get a piece of the action.

And I want mine with chocolate frosting and sprinkles please.

Edited by NomadJoe

Driving as a job is probably the one that will get you busted the quickest. Just made me remember the few occasions years ago when I drove the dive shops truck to pick up and drop off customers. Wouldn't try that now.

Publicly acting as a guide without a licensed Thai along for cover is another.

Fronting retail, servicing the customers yourself, including bars and restaurants.

Basically anything where you're out and about in public.

Haven't come across English teachers being done though, which is fair enough since the kingdom needs them so badly, they really should loosen that right up, not as if the current quality standards are doing any good anyway and they'll never be willing to pay for proper professionals competing against Korea/Japan/Taiwan anyway.

As with most things, the law itself as written isn't as relevant as how it's interpreted and enforced, usually at the discretion of the relevant officials.

My understanding is that although they have had to make some ostensible changes to the former in order to comply with anti-sex-discrimination treaties, in actual practice this is still the case.

At the top levels 99% of the time, men run the show here. Maybe not always in their home domain behind closed doors but wrt to macro political/economic reality it is so.

That's pretty messed up. Are the economies back in their home countries that bad?
if you are that concerned maybe you should check it out, maybe even ask some employment agencies in those home countries. I say leave these folks alone. You have no idea what their situation is and frankly it is none of your business.
  • Like 1

Everyone loves these letter of the law guys - so much fun.
Exactly. Perhaps too much jealousy. Stop worrying about what others are doing and do something for yourself. Get off your high horse judging others. It frankly is none of your business what these folks are doing. If they want to take the risk then that is their option.

flybynight you realize that these farang breaking the law are doing so with an oportunity cost. they may get caught and suffer the consequences. <deleted> is your point? there is a law and you are too timid to break it yet you see others breaking it and not getting caught so it makes you angry? if u want to go sell cupcakes than go ahead who is stopping you?

my wife has USA green card and there is zero work restriction. this nonsense about who is allowed to do what is frankly retarded. i hate all protectionism. just the government sticking it's nose everywhere without reason. apparently up north farang do not have it so bad and i am happy for them. the tourist zones are the shittiest place in thailand to live. i can not even stand them for a day i have no idea how so many farang choose to live there.

frankly, i think it would be fun as hell to be able to sell cupcakes in a thai market. bet the thais get a good laugh at it.

IMO again, if they are doing it out of necessity for survival, then I’m sorry to say that is pretty embarrassing, and it’s really time to go home.

Holiday is over. No work permit no work. Very easy to understand. Or I guess you can always go sell cup cakes, doughnuts, or whatever your else you see fit, and see how long your able to hold out good luck.

These ‘I will do anything to stay in Thailand types’ do not make me angry. In fact it’s more like I feel pity for them. Believe me, the Farang I see doing this are not doing it because they like it, it’s because they have to for one reason or another. What that reason is I really don’t give a shyt.

Sure some might say I lack empathy, I am not going to disagree with that. Some people just show a little bit more compassion and kindness towards others.

FYI, I like cupcakes, doughnuts, and durians, and you right, it might actually be kind of fun going to the market and letting all the Thais have a quick laugh as you mentioned, but I don’t think it would be too much of a laughing matter if the Farang was doing it for their survival.

Edited by FlyByNights

flybynight you realize that these farang breaking the law are doing so with an oportunity cost. they may get caught and suffer the consequences. <deleted> is your point? there is a law and you are too timid to break it yet you see others breaking it and not getting caught so it makes you angry? if u want to go sell cupcakes than go ahead who is stopping you?

my wife has USA green card and there is zero work restriction. this nonsense about who is allowed to do what is frankly retarded. i hate all protectionism. just the government sticking it's nose everywhere without reason. apparently up north farang do not have it so bad and i am happy for them. the tourist zones are the shittiest place in thailand to live. i can not even stand them for a day i have no idea how so many farang choose to live there.

frankly, i think it would be fun as hell to be able to sell cupcakes in a thai market. bet the thais get a good laugh at it.

IMO again, if they are doing it out of necessity for survival, then I’m sorry to say that is pretty embarrassing, and it’s really time to go home.

Holiday is over. No work permit no work. Very easy to understand. Or I guess you can always go sell cup cakes, doughnuts, or whatever your else you see fit, and see how long your able to hold out good luck.

These ‘I will do anything to stay in Thailand types’ do not make me angry. In fact it’s more like I feel pity for them. Believe me, the Farang I see doing this are not doing it because they like it, it’s because they have to for one reason or another. What that reason is I really don’t give a shyt.

Sure some might say I lack empathy, I am not going to disagree with that. Some people just show a little bit more compassion and kindness towards others.

FYI, I like cupcakes, doughnuts, and durians, and you right, it might actually be kind of fun going to the market and letting all the Thais have a quick laugh as you mentioned, but I don’t think it would be too much of a laughing matter if the Farang was doing it for their survival.

Selling cupcakes and coffee according to TV get you 60k / month after expenses, I don't pity them I envy them

Why so much anger at someone who is just making a honest living ?

Are they selling drugs ? Guns ?

So why do you care so much?

I think it's jealousy

Edited by aneliane

Selling cupcakes and coffee according to TV get you 60k / month after expenses, I don't pity them I envy them

I think it's jealousy

Great! So now we have empathy, jealousy, pity, envy all mixed in with a little bit sociopathic tendencies.

Who is angry? Do I need to start adding a biggrin.png to every sentence that I write to show that I am not angry.

Geezz, this thread gets better with every post. 5555

Better watch out, and not say you feel envy, someone might end up saying you sound like a narcissist

Jealous, me? I think not. Jealousy is for people who are envious such as yourself. tongue.png

I think it's jealousy

Great! So now we have empathy, jealousy, pity, envy all mixed in with a little bit sociopathic tendencies.

Who is angry? Do I need to start adding a biggrin.png to every sentence that I write to show that I am not angry.

Better watch out, and not say you feel envy, someone might end up saying you sound like a narcissist

Jealous, me? I think not. Jealousy is for people who are envious such as yourself. tongue.png

jealous ? I've never seen a Farang selling durian or cupcakes so i don't care really

Sure making 60k selling cupcakes would be good, don't see anything wrong with that.

I just gave my opinion, but i would not write an irritated long text about it (unlike others), no biggy.

Edited by aneliane

jealous ? I've never seen a Farang selling durian or cupcakes so i don't care really

Sure making 60k selling cupcakes would be good, don't see anything wrong with that.

I just gave my opinion, but i would not write an irritated long text about it (unlike others), no biggy.

Was it really that bad? Go ahead, I'm open for some constructive criticism. "flaming" I thought it was pretty mild to be honest. I guess some people have thicker skin than others, but I'm open to any suggestions you might have.

Was it really that bad? Go ahead, I'm open for some constructive criticism. "flaming" I thought it was pretty mild to be honest. I guess some people have thicker skin than others, but I'm open to any suggestions you might have.

the length of your post to start with

for something mundane really (girl selling cupcakes) Just seem exaggerated

if she was selling pot what would you write? a novel ?

Who cares ???

When I read that comment the same thought occured to me in that he should ashamed of himself that he is doing a job a native should be doing.... in vast majority of cases in Thailand a lot of farangs are only 1 pay cheque or pension from being on the bones of their <deleted>...and the guys maybe doing what he has to do to survive

Sure and no shame in that is there.

WRT taking a job from a Thai, I don't hold with that much here or back home, AFAIC tear down all the borders and let everyone go work wherever they like, high time the price of labor fell to third world levels equally all over the world. Artificially high wages based on nationality are IMO a moral abomination.

Hey, I like to think I have certain skills, but at the end of the day I am a beneficiary of what is morally reprehensible to you. thumbsup.gif

the length of your post to start with

for something mundane really (girl selling cupcakes) Just seem exaggerated

if she was selling pot what would you write? a novel ?

Who cares ???

It wasn’t two girls it was two grown men, if it was two girls I probably wouldn’t have commented about this anyway. Not that it matters much, but hey that's me. If it was pot I wouldn’t tell. I promise, but they are selling cupcakes, it’s not the same. 5555

Basically, it just doesn’t look right, I’m not angry ,but I do think men in their mid- 30’s need to be holding it down a little bit better if you know what I mean. I’m not expecting you or anyone else to understand BTW.

I know no one cares, but I actually have to see these guys a couple times a week when I go to the market for some veggies. Call it what you want, that’s just the way it is I guess. wai.gif C'ya

IMO again, if they are doing it out of necessity for survival, then Im sorry to say that is pretty embarrassing, and its really time to go home.

These I will do anything to stay in Thailand types do not make me angry. In fact its more like I feel pity for them. Believe me, the Farang I see doing this are not doing it because they like it, its because they have to for one reason or another. What that reason is I really dont give a shyt.

FYI, I like cupcakes, doughnuts, and durians, and you right, it might actually be kind of fun going to the market and letting all the Thais have a quick laugh as you mentioned, but I dont think it would be too much of a laughing matter if the Farang was doing it for their survival.

I think it's jealousy

I noticed that you keep putting 5555 in your post, why do you do that.?.

I thought that the correct way was just 3

x 5's.

Well according to the urban dictionary anyway.

And if you wonder what my actual point is well let me explain, by you actually writing 5555 kind of makes me think that you don't know as much about Thailand as you like to think you do.

Thai word for 5 is hah I believe pronounced ha so 555 would be "hahaha"

Lol

An extra 5 is just so uncool so get with it and drop a 5.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by MB1

Have a look at this aspiring young man, vid starts at 23:32

Interesting he would allow himself to be interviewed like that. Perhaps he is unaware of the laws he is breaking. I wonder if he was arrested or deported after this video was released.

Interesting he would allow himself to be interviewed like that. Perhaps he is unaware of the laws he is breaking. I wonder if he was arrested or deported after this video was released.

are you kidding?

are you kidding?

No. Why do you ask?