Farang Selling Durian.

maiphedmaiaroi

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure there is a farang woman selling snacks on the soi 21 end of Cowboy most evenings - popcorn, from memory.

There is also the farang who keeps the shop selling girl's teeshirts at Phrom Pong BTS station. I understand his wife owns the shop but he is the only person I've ever seen working there - he sits in the heat day in day out. It seems an odd way to spend your life, and i can't believe for a second he has a work permit, but the BiB don't seem to do anything, despite them having the most farang-exploitative police booth a few yards away at Benjasiri Park.

The BIB have nothing to do with work permits and thus would do nothing. The Labour Dept does.

The BIB pick up Laos , Cambodian and Burmese for not having Visas and work permits. It seems strange they wouldn't bother with farangs.

I'm pretty sure there is a farang woman selling snacks on the soi 21 end of Cowboy most evenings - popcorn, from memory.

There is also the farang who keeps the shop selling girl's teeshirts at Phrom Pong BTS station. I understand his wife owns the shop but he is the only person I've ever seen working there - he sits in the heat day in day out. It seems an odd way to spend your life, and i can't believe for a second he has a work permit, but the BiB don't seem to do anything, despite them having the most farang-exploitative police booth a few yards away at Benjasiri Park.

The BIB have nothing to do with work permits and thus would do nothing. The Labour Dept does.

The BIB pick up Laos , Cambodian and Burmese for not having Visas and work permits. It seems strange they wouldn't bother with farangs.

Immigration status (being here illegally) is entirely different than not having a work permit. BIB enforce one but not the other.

Immigration status (being here illegally) is entirely different than not having a work permit. BIB enforce one but not the other.

Not really....

Not really....

Which part?

One falls under the Royal Thai Immigration which is a branch of the RTP, the other falls under the Thai Labor Dept. which is not part of the RTP. Not saying RTP officers would never be present during a WP crackdown, but that is usually handled solely by Labor Department Investigators.

I thought it a bit odd myself, shame really to see someone of that age doing something so pointless.

Why pointless?? he seemed like a nice guy, having fun, enjoying his life, working,and making some money, what is so pointless about that?

I thought that was the whole point of being young

What is pointless is this thread,

It should say Farang looking person selling..... How does any one know that person was Farang? did they ask her?

or even is she was Farang, could she be a business owner with more than four employees legally entitled to own the business and work?

Edited by sirineou

I thought it a bit odd myself, shame really to see someone of that age doing something so pointless.

Most of the world is doing work that may seem pointless to some. Thank your lucky stars if yoiu have been lucky enough to have other choices.

• Like 1

Another thought, and I've raised this in the farming forums. How many here transport their produce to the middle man? By that, I mean they are the driver. If you are in the holier than thou brigade, I'd love an explanation.

Another thought, and I've raised this in the farming forums. How many here transport their produce to the middle man? By that, I mean they are the driver. If you are in the holier than thou brigade, I'd love an explanation.

i would think the issue would be not merely driving it to the middle man, but growing it at all

I have never seen this, but I have seen Farang selling 'cup cakes' at a Thai market.

I was impressed with the dignity they have standing there doing a job that is not allowed under Thai law.

Depends.

In the case of a farang woman, I believe she has all the rights of a Thai if she is married to a Thai.

I think the Thai authorties don`t bother too much about this because marriages between Thai males and farang females are so few and far between.

I think this is incorrect, I do not think a Farang woman can be selling fruit just because they are married to a Thai man.

Yes, you are correct to say “The Thai authorities don`t bother too much about this” but this doesn’t mean it's legal.

I personally think they should be ashamed of themselves, especially the Farang selling 'cup cakes' at the market. Geezz

Why ???

Do you not like cup cakes ?

i would think the issue would be not merely driving it to the middle man, but growing it at all

In the majority of cases, the land is in our significant other's name, So technically we are not growing it. I suspect most of us do transport though. Albeit in small amounts eg 250kg of rubber sheets every 20 days weather permiting.

In the majority of cases, the land is in our significant other's name, So technically we are not growing it. I suspect most of us do transport though. Albeit in small amounts eg 250kg of rubber sheets every 20 days weather permiting.

I am just assisting the poor and displaced of Thailand to get enough food to eat. Really just making good Karma, walking in the footsteps of Buddha, how can that be wrong. Jim
  • Like 1

I noticed that you keep putting 5555 in your post, why do you do that.?.

I thought that the correct way was just 3

x 5's.

Well according to the urban dictionary anyway.

And if you wonder what my actual point is well let me explain, by you actually writing 5555 kind of makes me think that you don't know as much about Thailand as you like to think you do.

Thai word for 5 is hah I believe pronounced ha so 555 would be "hahaha"

Lol

An extra 5 is just so uncool so get with it and drop a 5.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

ขอโทษ ผมลืมไปว่าคุณไม่รู้เรื่อง เพราะคุณไม่ใช่คนไทยเหมือนผม, but yes 5 is pronounced as ha, not too sure about hah. In Thai 5555 is hahahaha.

Force of habit that I use five of them, dont ask me why.

I personally like hehehehe.... Do you know how the Internet slang for that one?

IMO you can also use two, three or four 5’s as well and get the same point across, bit I really I want to do whatever is considered cooler in your eyes MB1, so with you being a senior member, and showing me the ropes I will start using 555.

BTW it’s exactly the opposite in China. “555” means the sound of crying pronounced as [wu:].

Are we on the same page, or do you think we should start a nationwide thread and see the results? tongue.png

Why pointless?? he seemed like a nice guy, having fun, enjoying his life, working,and making some money, what is so pointless about that?

I thought that was the whole point of being young

What is pointless is this thread,

It should say Farang looking person selling..... How does any one know that person was Farang? did they ask her?

or even is she was Farang, could she be a business owner with more than four employees legally entitled to own the business and work?

You are correct! he does seem like a nice guy, not entirely sure if he's having that much fun, that it'self is not pointless, hes is mid twenties, not young like a child selling homemeade lemmonade at the end of mum n dads driveway. Pointless endevour for someone that age with probably more resources.

That guy is a Farang, he indroduces himself as coming from somewhere in England. He could perhaps be a part owner in the business (shareholder) but only at best could only hold the title of director and is not allowed to do this sort of work.

Most of the world is doing work that may seem pointless to some. Thank your lucky stars if yoiu have been lucky enough to have other choices.

I agree, that a lot of the people in the world do jobs that are pointless, many have no options whatsoever. Some people take a little bit of option and create those so called lucky stars mate. it's down to the individual.

It would be the saddest day in my life if one of my children told me they were to be happy in life making cup cakes.

x 5's.

And if you wonder what my actual point is well let me explain, by you actually writing 5555 kind of makes me think that you don't know as much about Thailand as you like to think you do.

Lol

ขอโทษ ผมลืมไปว่าคุณไม่รู้เรื่อง เพราะคุณไม่ใช่คนไทยเหมือนผม, but yes 5 is pronounced as ha, not too sure about hah. In Thai 5555 is hahahaha.

IMO you can also use two, three or four 5’s as well and get the same point across, bit I really I want to do whatever is considered cooler in your eyes MB1, so with you being a senior member, and showing me the ropes I will start using 555.

BTW it’s exactly the opposite in China. “555” means the sound of crying pronounced as [wu:].

Are we on the same page, or do you think we should start a nationwide thread and see the results? tongue.png

I see 55555 on my Thai families FB chat quite often. I'll let them know it's so wrong.

Edited by Mosha
  • Like 1

x 5's.

Lol

I see 55555 on my Thai families FB chat quite often. I'll let them know it's so wrong.

Actually 55555 is ok too, but you better ask MB1 first, or else ....1zgarz5.gif

x 5's.

Lol

4 pictures of John Terry.

Before I broke my arm last year I helped my wife sell strawberry juice on a couple of local markets in Nonthaburi for about six mnoths. We went out about three times a week. I really enjoyed it . I can speak Thai quite well so I used to have a good laugh with the customers and we met a lot of people on the market. Never had any trouble and no one cared. People thought it was a bit strange at first but after a while no one batted an eyelid and we had quite a few regulars. We did alright money wise making up to a thousand baht when we went out. We didn.t need the money but it was better than staying at home doing nothing. Our children enjoyed it too because of all the stuff they coyld eat there. I don.t consider myself above any job and you might be surprised how much money some of these people make. There is a guy opposite tesco on rama two road sellinh kao ka moo who must be raking it in because the queue for his food could get to twenty people long. Another funny thing is loads of thais tried to get me teaching their children english having met me down the market! So they don.t mind.

• Like 1

One falls under the Royal Thai Immigration which is a branch of the RTP, the other falls under the Thai Labor Dept. which is not part of the RTP. Not saying RTP officers would never be present during a WP crackdown, but that is usually handled solely by Labor Department Investigators.

All true in theory, but in practice whatever infractions you can be blackmailed for, the BiB at hand will be happy to claim jurisdiction on behalf of whoever's ox is getting gored by your activities.

Otherwise outside of farang-ghetto areas, they're usually happy to let sleeping dogs lie, keep your head down and your nose clean - as in don't mess with the wrong colonel's daughter, nor the rice bowl of anyone with connections - you'll usually be OK.

I have never seen this, but I have seen Farang selling 'cup cakes' at a Thai market.

I was impressed with the dignity they have standing there doing a job that is not allowed under Thai law.

Depends.

In the case of a farang woman, I believe she has all the rights of a Thai if she is married to a Thai.

I think the Thai authorties don`t bother too much about this because marriages between Thai males and farang females are so few and far between.

I think this is incorrect, I do not think a Farang woman can be selling fruit just because they are married to a Thai man.

Yes, you are correct to say “The Thai authorities don`t bother too much about this” but this doesn’t mean it's legal.

I personally think they should be ashamed of themselves, especially the Farang selling 'cup cakes' at the market. Geezz

You could well be right, as I`m really not sure because this subject doesn`t arise very often.

Are there any farang females on here that can give us some facts about this?

Technically and legally you do need a work permit. Being married does not change anything and allow you to work. However as someone has already said, because it very rarely happens, no real spotlight is shined upon it unless someone has reported them specifically.

I do not think selling food is a profession that a farang can do.

Correct.

Ministry of Foreign Affairs Handbook

Section 5: Starting a business in Thailand

Page 13

5.6 The Foreign Business Act and restricted occupations

List 3

Businesses which Thais are not ready to compete in undertakings with aliens

(1) Rice milling and production of flour from rice and farm crops

(2) Fishery, limited to propagation of aquatic animals

(3) Forestry from replanted forests

(4) Production of plywood, wood veneer, chipboard or hardboard

(5) Production of natural lime

(6) Accounting service undertakings

(7) Legal service undertakings

(8) Architectural service undertakings

(9) Engineering service undertakings

(10) Construction except:

(a) Construction of things that provide basic services to the public with respect to public utilities or communications and which require the use of special instruments, machinery, technology or expertise in construction and a

minimum capital of the alien of at least 500 million baht

(cool.png Other categories of construction as stipulated in ministerial regulations

(11) Brokerage or agency undertakings except:

(a) Trading in securities or services concerning futures trading in agricultural

commodities, financial instruments or securities

(cool.png Trading in or the procurement of goods or services needed for production by or providing the services of and enterprise in the same group

© Trading, purchasing (for others) or distributing or finding domestic or

overseas markets for selling goods made domestically or imports as an

international trading business, with a minimum capital of the alien of at least

100 million baht

(d) Other lines of business stipulated in ministerial regulations

(12) Auctioning, except:

(a) International bidding that is not bidding in antiques, ancient objects or

objects of art that are Thai works of art, handicraft or ancient objects, or of

historical value

(cool.png Other types of auction as stipulated in ministerial regulations

(13) Domestic trade concerning indigenous agricultural produce or products not prohibited by any present law

(14) Retail trade in all kinds of goods where the total minimum capital is 100 million baht or more, or the minimum capital of each store is 20 million baht or more.

(15) Wholesale trade in all kinds of goods with a minimum capital for each store of more than 100 million baht

(16) Advertising undertakings

(17) Hotel undertakings, except for hotel management services

(18) Sale of food or beverages

(19) Plant breeding and propagating, or plant improvement undertakings

(20) Doing other service businesses except for service businesses prescribed in ministerial regulations.[/i]

OMG when will TL stop this protectionist BS... will be poor forever

I do not think selling food is a profession that a farang can do.

Correct.

Ministry of Foreign Affairs Handbook

Section 5: Starting a business in Thailand

Page 13

5.6 The Foreign Business Act and restricted occupations

List 3

Businesses which Thais are not ready to compete in undertakings with aliens

(1) Rice milling and production of flour from rice and farm crops

(2) Fishery, limited to propagation of aquatic animals

(3) Forestry from replanted forests

(4) Production of plywood, wood veneer, chipboard or hardboard

(5) Production of natural lime

(6) Accounting service undertakings

(7) Legal service undertakings

(8) Architectural service undertakings

(9) Engineering service undertakings

(10) Construction except:

(a) Construction of things that provide basic services to the public with respect to public utilities or communications and which require the use of special instruments, machinery, technology or expertise in construction and a

minimum capital of the alien of at least 500 million baht

(cool.png Other categories of construction as stipulated in ministerial regulations

(11) Brokerage or agency undertakings except:

(a) Trading in securities or services concerning futures trading in agricultural

commodities, financial instruments or securities

(cool.png Trading in or the procurement of goods or services needed for production by or providing the services of and enterprise in the same group

© Trading, purchasing (for others) or distributing or finding domestic or

overseas markets for selling goods made domestically or imports as an

international trading business, with a minimum capital of the alien of at least

100 million baht

(d) Other lines of business stipulated in ministerial regulations

(12) Auctioning, except:

(a) International bidding that is not bidding in antiques, ancient objects or

objects of art that are Thai works of art, handicraft or ancient objects, or of

historical value

(cool.png Other types of auction as stipulated in ministerial regulations

(13) Domestic trade concerning indigenous agricultural produce or products not prohibited by any present law

(14) Retail trade in all kinds of goods where the total minimum capital is 100 million baht or more, or the minimum capital of each store is 20 million baht or more.

(15) Wholesale trade in all kinds of goods with a minimum capital for each store of more than 100 million baht

(16) Advertising undertakings

(17) Hotel undertakings, except for hotel management services

(18) Sale of food or beverages

(19) Plant breeding and propagating, or plant improvement undertakings

(20) Doing other service businesses except for service businesses prescribed in ministerial regulations.[/i]

OMG when will TL stop this protectionist BS... will be poor forever

I just got a job to day, known loacally as a bit of a painter, as no one paints anything around here, Aunt hired me to paint her new house, 4 bottles of Leo per day. Unlike the locals she will get at least 4 hours of painting from me. Will keep my eye out for the secret work police. Guess if one ever comes will have to share a leo with him.

It's life, live in the moment, tomorrow will take care of the rest. Jim