Keeping In Touch With Thai Family From The Uk

qpgwmh

Sawat di Khrap!

My Thai inlaws live in rural Thailand and we have always kept in touch via telephone and posted photos. I was wondering recently how many people use Skype or similar to stay in touch. It must make you 'feel' closer.

I think it very unlikely that they can access broadband and I'm not even sure there are telephone lines around there as everyone I know of uses mobile phones. So I wonder if there are any options for getting a computer set up to the internet in order to Skype?

Grateful for any advice you may be able to offer.

Thanks!

Wife been using VOIP discount.com for years and recons the best.

Lots of free minutes..(think about 800) involved for 10Eu payment before your normal 1 bt a minute.

I have used it to call her mobile from UK wherever she gets to...Trat,Chiang Mai,Sam Prakan,Abu Dhabi..??...and never a problem.

We use Lingo VOIP, we had it for years and we are very happy with the service.

it cost about $30 a month and we can make unlimited calls to most places in the world,

In Thailand you can call both land lines and Cell phones, at no additional coat. the quality of the call is indistinguishable from a regular land line.

My wife calls Thailand every day and talks for hours.

https://www.lingo.com/

The previous 4 replies are correct and very helpful posts. Perhaps I am wrong, but from my reading of the OP post, I think he is saying they already talk by phone but wonders if they can video chat via Skype.

I think the best most people can do outside of large urban areas is Edge. For this read this older thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/264243-using-skype-with-edge-possible/

Thank you all - and yes, I was meaning video chat.

If you can Skype to mobile phones then I presume in Thailand they would have to have some sort of smart phone?

They will need a fast and solid Internet connection regardless, often not available in the rural areas. If it is, just know that it usually runs B500+ per month, can be a lot more if it's not an unlimited deal depending on location.

They will need to find out on their end and then let you know the costs.

I think the internet connectivity varies by area and at my in-laws house (Amnat Charoen) it varies by day. Sometimes Skype works fine there, sometimes even getting connected to the internet is impossible.

If your in-laws are anything like mine they will struggle to get things set up by themselves. Also, from my experience, the internet companies' "engineers" here are completely clueless.

Your in-laws could ask advice from some local young adults, as they will know what system works best and will be using skype regularly. That is how my in-laws did it and they seem to have a decent set-up.

Edited by brit1984

I've just used Skype for the first time today, to call the UK from Phetchabun, using the free video call. I talked with my mate for 20 minutes, no problems whatsoever. I'm on True 3G, costs 899 baht month for internet service, Skype uses the internet for video calls, so no further payment necessary.

Hiya,

My wife started talking to my SIL on Face book (face time) a lot so I bought my daughter and SIL an iPod touch 8gb each. They talk through Apples face time application. the quality is excellent, functionality and mobility of the ipod is awesome, the camera quality is excellent and the beauty is that if my SIL did not have a desktop, she would'nt need one.

I've just used Skype for the first time today, to call the UK from Phetchabun, using the free video call. I talked with my mate for 20 minutes, no problems whatsoever. I'm on True 3G, costs 899 baht month for internet service, Skype uses the internet for video calls, so no further payment necessary.

I used Skype many times successfull and many times it complete sucked. As they changed that you can't exit it anymore I canceled it.