Bar Owners In Patong Fined For Showing Euro Matches Via Cable Tv

britpop

Well said, i always thought the back hander money (tea money) to the police every month was a illegal insurance/ protection payment so bar owner would be left alone

Tea money generally allows bars to stay open late and employ prostitutes.

It does not necessarily mean they can then break whatever additional laws they want at random. Drugs, Illegal TV, Cock/Dog fighting etc.

Well said, i always thought the back hander money (tea money) to the police every month was a illegal insurance/ protection payment so bar owner would be left alone

It does not necessarily mean they can then break whatever additional laws they want at random. Drugs, Illegal TV, Cock/Dog fighting etc.

Don't know if you'd put illegal TV in the same box as Drugs, prostitution and cock fighting, the latter in some cases can cause death, the only way illegal TV will kill you is if the TV fall on your head

i know a bar owner who has had a bar in Patong for 15 years who tries his best to be above board but he has to pay t money and he still has had to pay fines for thing's he pays t money for they will try to get t money for any reason they can think of and thats a fact

i know a bar owner who has had a bar in Patong for 15 years who tries his best to be above board but he has to pay t money and he still has had to pay fines for thing's he pays t money for they will try to get t money for any reason they can think of and thats a fact

So on that basis the police obviously don't like him and he should avoid breaking the law whenever possible in his bar. If he knows the police will get him for illegal TV...make sure it's legal. Not exactly rocket science is it?

I know a lot of bar owners who pay their T Money and live a peaceful co-existence with the police.

The problem with these different points of view is that some are saying that people should respect the law in a country where a large percentage of the authorities do not (corruption), while others are saying that 'We already pay tea money to bend/break the law', which in itself is arguably a form of corrupt payment. There can be no solution until (1) both the corruption issue is addressed (yes, okay, forget that point for the forseeable future...) and (2) all those people who make these tea money payments collectively stop doing so. If the tuk tuk 'people' can have an association looking after their best interests, why cannot other businesses follow suit? (It would be a lot cheaper.) Until that happens (insofar as issues such as the OP are concerned), there will always be conflicting opinions on whether we should strictly comply with the law (when many police and other authorities clearly do not), or try to get around it.

• Like 1

^ Good post. It's not that confusing though IMO. People want the laws of a corrupt society to stay the same and be applied fairly and then get confused when they don't. By very definition the rules of a corrupt society will be bent and changed and manipulated at will by those with the power. You simply play the game as best you can, or of course you do what is often the smartest choice and don't play at all. There is only one rule, there is no rules.

If you find yourself making comments like "You can't extort me for that officer because You're already extorting me for something else" then I think it's time to stop running a bar in Patong.

So on that basis the police obviously don't like him and he should avoid breaking the law whenever possible in his bar. If he knows the police will get him for illegal TV...make sure it's legal. Not exactly rocket science is it?

I know a lot of bar owners who pay their T Money and live a peaceful co-existence with the police.

It's nothing to do about liking him a new bobby comes on the scene he wants a piece of the action he could'nt care less if you have already paid and i swear that is exactly what happened i was there when it was pointed out to him that the bar had paid to there regular cop as usual he said " But you did'nt pay me" so how many do you have to pay do you think owner's want's this but they have no choice next day court pay fine and the bars all around paid again no court and this was all about staying open to watch football and i am talking about a good sports bar with no problems

It's nothing to do about liking him a new bobby comes on the scene he wants a piece of the action he could'nt care less if you have already paid and i swear that is exactly what happened i was there when it was pointed out to him that the bar had paid to there regular cop as usual he said " But you did'nt pay me" so how many do you have to pay do you think owner's want's this but they have no choice next day court pay fine and the bars all around paid again no court and this was all about staying open to watch football and i am talking about a good sports bar with no problems

So why is he/are they paying key money? What are they doing illegally to have to pay this?

So why is he/are they paying key money? What are they doing illegally to have to pay this?

Key money is a greedy landlord thing. Seperate from the police skimming you for whatever.

Funny thing is, key money was introduced by foreigners who were sub letting properties and now its common place in Phuket amongst Thai landlords. Couple of greedy westerners ruined it for everyone. Monkey see, Monkey do.

Key money is a greedy landlord thing. Seperate from the police skimming you for whatever.

Funny thing is, key money was introduced by foreigners who were sub letting properties and now its common place in Phuket amongst Thai landlords. Couple of greedy westerners ruined it for everyone. Monkey see, Monkey do.

Aw, why this post after an obvious mistake? Meant to write teamoney.

Aw, why this post after an obvious mistake? Meant to write teamoney.

Didn't realize it was a mistake. You tend to drag things off topic so I replied to the question.

Didn't realize it was a mistake. You tend to drag things off topic so I replied to the question.

Don't agree with that, but ok.

So to repeat but corrected, So why is he/are they paying tea money? What are they doing illegally to have to pay this?

It's football...NOT soccer. Just because Americans play some strange game with an odd shaped ball they think they have the rights to the name football...wrong again Yanks!!

Why so brassed off old chap? Where would you be without your jolly good baked beans and cars?

Cheeriosmile.png

Edited by Shot

So to repeat but corrected, So why is he/are they paying tea money? What are they doing illegally to have to pay this?

I didn't thing a bar always has to be doing something illegal to need to pay tea money. I thought a lot of tea money was the good old good old protection racket. You pay us, we make sure you don't have any problems, and not just turning a blind eye to laws being broken?

Even if you aren't breaking any laws, and aren't being asked for Tea money, it's probably a good ides to give the BIB a free feed or drinks every time they require it. That's what I've been told anyhow.

I didn't thing a bar always has to be doing something illegal to need to pay tea money. I thought a lot of tea money was the good old good old protection racket. You pay us, we make sure you don't have any problems, and not just turning a blind eye to laws being broken?

Even if you aren't breaking any laws, and aren't being asked for Tea money, it's probably a good ides to give the BIB a free feed or drinks every time they require it. That's what I've been told anyhow.

I don't know of any bar owner who pays money if they are not committing any crime. The only owners I know of that pay are either open after hours, have girls on the menu or multiple foreign staff working there. Not sure of the process in Patong though...it is kind of martial law round there.

I don't know of any bar owner who pays money if they are not committing any crime. The only owners I know of that pay are either open after hours, have girls on the menu or multiple foreign staff working there. Not sure of the process in Patong though...it is kind of martial law round there.

Yes, that is the same impression I have. And they have to know, that on that set themselves up to more payments.

As i said in my post it was to show late football game the bars around him paid the money stayed open he refused bar closed and he had to pay the fine this bar has no girls it's just a regular customer bar'

I can tell you another instance of t money for no reward i had a guest hse for a few years with a bar that i sublet over a 3 year period 3 different people had a go at it the last one being a thai they would in change the sign etc and open within a few days the cops would be in to register there interest and they all paid the money inc the Thai and this was a quite bar, now 10 metere from the bar the guesthouse had a restuarant and apart from a odd cup of coffee we did not get asked for anything.

What are you supposed to do when you are asked for money you know many people give it so i puts you in a spot .

I see news in the Gazette ref the tunnel and photo's of the big chief's from Phuket supporting it and i can tell you that one of them drink's a lot of tea which he gets from bars etc all the bars i go to pay it and not one of them is ladybar

• Like 1

Not really significant but so far there are no reports of similar joint police/Grammy action being taken against any bars or any other entertainment venues airing Euro games 'illegally' in Pattaya, Bangkok or any other location in Thailand.

Those Patong cops are fast on their feet huh?

Not really significant but so far there are no reports of similar joint police/Grammy action being taken against any bars or any other entertainment venues airing Euro games 'illegally' in Pattaya, Bangkok or any other location in Thailand.

The GMM Reps/police were out in Kata/Karon last week,calling on bars to see if people had the licence.Tuesday/Weds i belive.

PST

Edited by PST

The GMM Reps/police were out in Kata/Karon last week,calling on bars to see if people had the licence.Tuesday/Weds i belive.

PST

I rest my case.

PST

I rest my case.

They were also checking for music licences aswell.

PST

PST

I rest my case.

They were also checking for music licences aswell.

PST

Yep and pretty pissed off when u have everything .....wanke_rs

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app