Irrigation Dept Confident Of No Mega Flood If Rainfall Normal

Lite Beer

There won't be a megaflood if the rainfall is normal.

Maybe I'm a bit thick but that looks like a perfectly valid statement to me.

if normal rainfall that only normal floods.....

Kilorain-Kilofloods

Megarain-Megafloods

lets hope no Gigarain comes.

What water management experts in Thailand should know by now?

1. The size of flood they are looking for. They can use the last year's flood as the reference.

2. The most intense rainfalls over the entire Chao Phraya catchment based on lat year's event. Typically 7-10 days duration. Low intensity but long duration flood flow such as 8 billion cubic meters of rainfall in 6 months (like last year's for Bhumibol) shall not the the main threat as far as flood control is concern. The most intense rainfalls that fall in less than 10days that counts. They have to know flood intensities for at least 3 sections of the Chao Phraya catchment namely Northern section, middle section and near BKK. Obviously they have to know what do they have to capture these intense rainfalls. High intensity rainfall does not go away just like that...

3. So by now they should have known whether or not they are capable to deal with similar size of flood like last year's one. And they should know what else to have besides the existing flood control and mitigation structures and non structure components to perform the task.

4. They can speculate the kind of floods they are going to face near future. Look at cumulative rainfall over from Nov 2011 until May 2012. Just compare the figure with the same figure for the same period last year. Is it bigger than the last year's? Or is it smaller? So far as I can see from 1000km++ away, this year's cumulative rainfall is smaller. Anyway, this is not a fool proof method. If I were them I can make important decision with regard flood control strategy by knowing this information.

Edited by ResX

What water management experts in Thailand should know by now?

1. The size of flood they are looking for. They can use the last year's flood as the reference.

2. The most intense rainfalls over the entire Chao Phraya catchment based on lat year's event. Typically 7-10 days duration. Low intensity but long duration flood flow such as 8 billion cubic meters of rainfall in 6 months (like last year's for Bhumibol) shall not the the main threat as far as flood control is concern. The most intense rainfalls that fall in less than 10days that counts. They have to know flood intensities for at least 3 sections of the Chao Phraya catchment namely Northern section, middle section and near BKK. Obviously they have to know what do they have to capture these intense rainfalls. High intensity rainfall does not go away just like that...

3. So by now they should have known whether or not they are capable to deal with similar size of flood like last year's one. And they should know what else to have besides the existing flood control and mitigation structures and non structure components to perform the task.

4. They can speculate the kind of floods they are going to face near future. Look at cumulative rainfall over from Nov 2011 until May 2012. Just compare the figure with the same figure for the same period last year. Is it bigger than the last year's? Or is it smaller? So far as I can see from 1000km++ away, this year's cumulative rainfall is smaller. Anyway, this is not a fool proof method. If I were them I can make important decision with regard flood control strategy by knowing this information.

It's just a waste of time because The FROC and their goons don't give a dam_n about that anyway, you might just wanna talk to yourself or to a wall.

Edited by MaxLee