What Is The Story With Isaan People And Leo Beer.

ShanePashen

so why pay, let them pay for theres.

i pay for the wifes mum, although she,dont ask, the rest can forget it.

A good question

but i am there for 2 weeks, first time i met the brother and sister, and family

I will extend the grace of being a good host for a very short period, but would not accept extended abuse of that privilege.

I ended up paying for about 5 meals out all up.

And yes honestly it was getting a bit tiresome towards the end.

A good question

I will extend the grace of being a good host for a very short period, but would not accept extended abuse of that privilege.

Learn to live with it when you visit. You have the money and they expect you to pay. One way not to pay is only invite the ones you are prepared to pay for. That will also be difficult.

About paying for the food, Shane, I always recommend the fixed price smorgasbord ... 100 - 150 Baht per person plus drinks ... only way to go ... seriously.

But it's not always a one way street.

I have worked hard to obtain the Thai respect and slowly it's being accorded.

When we went last time for Food with the Thai Family I said before that I would pay.

Farm Mother, Father, GF, GF's sister, me ... 4 kids. Ten mouths in total.

All the food we could stuff ourselves with including seafood, beers for 3 adult ... 1,800 Baht just south of Bangkok. OH … plus one sneaky container that, when I asked about it I was hushed a little and told it was the take-a-way for the Gf’s Sister’s bf!

Next time, the Farm Father will pay so that he will not lose respect ... and I know him ... he will pay ... we will just have to wait till a good harvest.

Went to GF's Management dinner, I was an honoured guest, no other partners came ... the Company Boss paid for everyone.

post-104736-0-34223600-1339989794_thumb.

Dinner with the GF's Boss

But back to the Leo Beer question ...

I drink what ever ... I've learnt in Thailand not to hold onto anything to tight.

Beer Singa is my preferred drop because I like the Maltiness of it.

Leo is fine to drink because it's a beer that you can drink all night ... but I prefer a more flavoursome beer for my first one or two and then, to be honest ... you really don't taste the actual beer any more.

I fight the ice in the beer ... until I'm there in Summer and it's acceptable.

• Like 2

A good question

Learn to live with it when you visit. You have the money and they expect you to pay. One way not to pay is only invite the ones you are prepared to pay for. That will also be difficult.

I found it hard at first but now i just don't pay for them. You get taken for a ride every time. Now i only invite people when i want too. I won't get pushed into it. But i live here different story from being on a holiday.

About paying for the food, Shane, I always recommend the fixed price smorgasbord ... 100 - 150 Baht per person plus drinks ... only way to go ... seriously.

But it's not always a one way street.

I have worked hard to obtain the Thai respect and slowly it's being accorded.

When we went last time for Food with the Thai Family I said before that I would pay.

Farm Mother, Father, GF, GF's sister, me ... 4 kids. Ten mouths in total.

All the food we could stuff ourselves with including seafood, beers for 3 adult ... 1,800 Baht just south of Bangkok. OH … plus one sneaky container that, when I asked about it I was hushed a little and told it was the take-a-way for the Gf’s Sister’s bf!

Next time, the Farm Father will pay so that he will not lose respect ... and I know him ... he will pay ... we will just have to wait till a good harvest.

Went to GF's Management dinner, I was an honoured guest, no other partners came ... the Company Boss paid for everyone.

post-104736-0-34223600-1339989794_thumb.

Dinner with the GF's Boss

But back to the Leo Beer question ...

I drink what ever ... I've learnt in Thailand not to hold onto anything to tight.

Beer Singa is my preferred drop because I like the Maltiness of it.

Leo is fine to drink because it's a beer that you can drink all night ... but I prefer a more flavoursome beer for my first one or two and then, to be honest ... you really don't taste the actual beer any more.

I fight the ice in the beer ... until I'm there in Summer and it's acceptable.

Yes well spotted David, I actually took two of her friends to best Beef BBQ near on nut BTS 149 baht p.p. all you could eat for 1.5 hrs, its amazing to watch Thais stuffing themselves, they love it.

and yes even then they ordered too much.

This place was great value, but I felt the food was "stewed" at times, we Aussies are very fussy about our BBQ temps!!!!

and we are the masters of the BBQ, only those in the deep south of America can surpass us I think.

I also took her and 3 friends to Kabushi Japanese buffet at MBK at 349 baht pp

This is truly IMO a great buffet and great value, I love that place.

As far as ice in beer goes, yes I actually got used to it and liked it.

Please don't tell anyone.

Particularly during state of origin with my mates

I still love Chang classic, perhaps its the novelty of drinking that 6.4% rocket fuel that knocks me on my Arse.

you just don't get beer like that in Oz 5% is usually the Max.

Although as far as pure flavour goes, I really rate Leo now too.

I think inlaws will be sad, the bank of Farrang has left the building.

At least the will not remember me as a tight arse.

smile.png

I still love Chang classic, perhaps its the novelty of drinking that 6.4% rocket fuel that knocks me on my Arse.

I enjoy both the Chang Draft and Classic ... but dislike the 'Export' style.

post-104736-0-26654600-1340107434_thumb.

If you like a stronger brew ... these two are commonly available in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I enjoy both the Chang Draft and Classic ... but dislike the 'Export' style.

post-104736-0-26654600-1340107434_thumb.

If you like a stronger brew ... these two are commonly available in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

holy shit is that 12% that beer, that stuff truly is rocket fuel.

in blighty i remember drinking tennants super blue can, and carlsberg special brew around 9% as i recall.

I never knew brewed beer got that strong, i wonder if some spirit base is added to it.

the host you say, in thailand you will always be the host unless you grow a set.

a good thai guy will not let you pay or put you in a situation or near family members that ask you to pay.

• Like 1

the host you say, in thailand you will always be the host unless you grow a set.

a good thai guy will not let you pay or put you in a situation or near family members that ask you to pay.

Well then, in that case isn't it great I will not see them for another year at least, and then for only 2 weeks at the most.

I may have grown a set by then.

I love Singha but also partial to the odd Leo. I prefer them both over Chang but I may dabble in those big cans of Chang Classic (or whatever they are called).

I swear hippies love Chang so much cause it's the cheapest though as it really doesn't do much for me compared to Singha but of course, I can drink it.

That 'Thai Beer' is vile. It's like a bottle of chemicals.

Leo is crap and guaranteed to give a big headache hangover next day. CHEMICALS. whistling.gif

Each to their own. 5 long necks no headache.

You have to write English to the non enlightened. Jim

a long neck is a large bottle

also called a king brown, Chang is all good, with ice without,,, just nice n cold in glass, or from the bottle striat from the fridge,

"matter of fact I git it now", reformed VB but wot I'd give for a coopers now !!!

LEO, cheap charlies nectre

in the thai markets ,{ where i frequent ] you can have a large LEO for 50 bht .

if you care to go up market to a farang joint ,cheesy.gif

for the privilege expect tp pay at least 90bht for a large LEO..

coffee1.gif

Leo is crap and guaranteed to give a big headache hangover next day. CHEMICALS. whistling.gif

Each to their own. 5 long necks no headache.

You have to write English to the non enlightened. Jim

a long neck is a large bottle

It's not, They are women from a Kayan village in Mae Hongson.

B) JC is right, The more affluent party pays. This is usually the Farang. As for ordering more food than can be consumed. If there is no food left over after a meal it shows that the guests did not have enough to eat. A trait common to many "cultures"

LL

Chang Export is my fav beer these days. Much more flavour than Leo, Singh etc

Like the taste of this one but after buying a carton and having a hangover each day for the next 5 days I came to the conclusion that it doesn't agree with me.

Like the taste of this one but after buying a carton and having a hangover each day for the next 5 days I came to the conclusion that it doesn't agree with me.

Your right, Chang Draught is the only beer l have found with very little after effects drunk.gif

Your right, Chang Draught is the only beer l have found with very little after effects drunk.gif

Chang Classic, the most bang for the money. biggrin.png

Yes agreed and I drink that or Chang Classic.

I live between Nam Phong and Kranuan just North of Khon Kaen.

In my village and the surrounding villages I agree Leo is the people's choice.

Not a bad drink. Better than the opposition and I've tried them all in

some quantity.

I avoid the Ice by just drinking quickly. I've never been one of the "school of

slowing down the rate of inebriation".

However,both Thais and farangs living in Isaan are missing a trick..

Beer Lao ! Think the original post would have to be retitled if it wasn't for

government policy prohibiting import (at least that's my understanding-

perfectly willing to be corrected on this if someone knows better)

I live between Nam Phong and Kranuan just North of Khon Kaen.

In my village and the surrounding villages I agree Leo is the people's choice.

Not a bad drink. Better than the opposition and I've tried them all in

some quantity.

I avoid the Ice by just drinking quickly. I've never been one of the "school of

slowing down the rate of inebriation".

However,both Thais and farangs living in Isaan are missing a trick..

Beer Lao ! Think the original post would have to be retitled if it wasn't for

government policy prohibiting import (at least that's my understanding-

perfectly willing to be corrected on this if someone knows better)

• 2 weeks later...

I used to be a beer drinker but now I'm gravitating to vodka only. Gives me less of a hangover than this Chang stuff and I get plastered faster.

Unfortunately with vodka I usually black out and don't remember much afterwards. beatdeadhorse.gifwacko.png