Original Thai Style House Design

My girlfriend and I have a plot near Namsom where we want to build a house. I'm look for advise about where we can source designs for the Thai style house built of teak and up on stilts.I'd appreciate website or book references. We don't want to build the Costa Brava style house that seems to be popping up all over Thailand. Any advice would be appreciated.

Go to any decent bookstore, some place like Se Ed bookstore.

There are many books with plans available, prices per book are about 200-300 baht per book.

The better publications will list a full spec for materials and prices, be aware the materials pricing will no doubt be out of date now, but the spec list wont have changed.

You could also try here.

http://www.smilehomes.com/

Edited by rgs2001uk

Not too sure what you mean by a Costa Bravo style ,as a style you don't want , but i am sure if you use Google and do a bit of study you could arrive at a basic Thai style House. There are a few "coffee table" style books in Bookazine or Asia Books that will help you research the different styles such as Lanna style from North Thailand. Suggested titles for a start would be "Thailand Style" and "Thailand House" , both of these by Warren Warren if my memory serves me correctly.

Also , i do not know about your area but around Chonburi and Rayong , there are a couple of places next to the highways that sell Thai Houses. Not brilliant quality , but they will certainly help you decide what you want . The thing i have noticed about the design of Thai Houses are that most were designed and built by people who understood their immediate envirionment and practicalities of design and did not need to impress their neighbours .

Then draw up some rough designs from there and take it from there.

Best of Luck with it

Edited by xen
  • Like 1

Not too sure what you mean by a Costa Bravo style ,as a style you don't want , but i am sure if you use Google and do a bit of study you could arrive at a basic Thai style House. There are a few "coffee table" style books in Bookazine or Asia Books that will help you research the different styles such as Lanna style from North Thailand. Suggested titles for a start would be "Thailand Style" and "Thailand House" , both of these by Warren Warren if my memory serves me correctly.

Also , i do not know about your area but around Chonburi and Rayong , there are a couple of places next to the highways that sell Thai Houses. Not brilliant quality , but they will certainly help you decide what you want . The thing i have noticed about the design of Thai Houses are that most were designed and built by people who understood their immediate envirionment and practicalities of design and did not need to impress their neighbours .

Then draw up some rough designs from there and take it from there.

Best of Luck with it

Thanks Zen