Top Soil By Truck Load

pipo1000

As the title says I'm looking for real top soil, the black one for growing grass, in the Pattaya area.

I have ordered in the past several truck loads of Nadin, as they seem to call it in Thai, but it all turns out to be crap at the end.

Have tried the burned rice and coconut husks mixed with soil,which looks like black soil, but one rain storm and it's all gone.

One can buy it in those small bags at the garden center, but to cover approx 900 m² that turns out a bit expensive.

So what is available in bags must also be available in bulk,only thing is to find the location.

Edited by pipo1000

We have bought it by the truck also, but a few years ago now and no idea where the number for them would be now...also cannot remember the price, but it is the rich black stuff same same the small bags.

Also guy just up the road from us just got several truck loads of rich red dirt....looks good, so not sure which is best, rich red or rich black...the black has a lot more organic material in it.

The red was circa 600b for a 6 wheel truck, but not sure how accurate that is as this was from the know nothing driver.

We have bought it by the truck also, but a few years ago now and no idea where the number for them would be now...also cannot remember the price, but it is the rich black stuff same same the small bags.

Also guy just up the road from us just got several truck loads of rich red dirt....looks good, so not sure which is best, rich red or rich black...the black has a lot more organic material in it.

The red was circa 600b for a 6 wheel truck, but not sure how accurate that is as this was from the know nothing driver.

You mean 6,000 baht surely? 600 would not pay the namman

would have thought if your just growing grass then the black stuff would be over the top also if laid on to deep would be a bit soft, maybe use a cheaper red sandy clay type soil then dress with a bit of the black stuff to give some feed but grass is not to fussy about where it grows unless your looking for a bowling green that is.

600 for a truck load sounds about right we had some soil up in the village in issan delivered at 400 a load couple of years back

Yeah...I thought 600 was a tad high actually.

Whereas the black potting mix was a lot more, but also a bigger truck.

If for lawn as mentioned....put down a cheaper soil first...then a thin layer of the black stuff and that is all you need.....do not waste the black stuff at 6 inches thick or any such thing.

Yeah...I thought 600 was a tad high actually.

Whereas the black potting mix was a lot more, but also a bigger truck.

If for lawn as mentioned....put down a cheaper soil first...then a thin layer of the black stuff and that is all you need.....do not waste the black stuff at 6 inches thick or any such thing.

I understand but I guess 1 inch would be an ultimate minimum and still be a huge amount for a 900 m² compound,hence the need for bulk instead of bags.

It's a misconception to think that you need dark brown loam to grow good grass. The soil in top level professional football pitches is made up almost entirely of sand, bound together with small strips of plastic to give it cohesion. It's more important to get the right mix of grasses for the climate where you live and then to provide the right soil for those grasses. If you go up country, look at the soil that Thailand's rice crop grows on.

When I have laid grass here and all that I have seen....we used normal soil to levle the area, then a sandy mix to even it out more....then a 'sprinkle' of the black soil over the top...by sprinkle I mean very thin layer, it basically provides the first nutrients for the new grass....maybe 5mm thick.......all the grass has taken and grown well.......no need for the expense of thick black layer.....as long as it is watered and cared for well, it will be fine.

I bought the so called "DIN DAM" a couple of month ago as a top layer for Malaysian grass.

Got 6 cubic meters for 3,600 Baht including transport and it works quite well.

I haven't been at their location as my wife did it all by phone.

It seems they are located a bit north of Pattaya on the way to BKK.

Just call this No. and ask them: 087-0909039 or 081-8220681

The guy is called "LUNG SAM".

Good luck !

I bought the so called "DIN DAM" a couple of month ago as a top layer for Malaysian grass.

Got 6 cubic meters for 3,600 Baht including transport and it works quite well.

I haven't been at their location as my wife did it all by phone.

It seems they are located a bit north of Pattaya on the way to BKK.

Just call this No. and ask them: 087-0909039 or 081-8220681

The guy is called "LUNG SAM".

Good luck !

Thanks for that,I will give them a call and go have a look at what they have for sale, as they seem to be close to my area going out from your description.