Is There A Thailand Only In Patient Policy?

flying

Just looking & everything offered to me seems to be worldwide coverage.

I would like to buy a Thailand only inpatient policy.

Private not Government hospitals.

I saw BUPA has a Crystal Plan but told it is for Thai Nationals only

Anyone know of one?

Thanks

You might consider contacting a licensed broker who is a native English speaker. Frankly you may have been misinformed about "Thai only" insurance policy from BUPA. BUPA Thailand has MANY plans, all on their web site. They have people who UNDERSTAND and speak English in Bangkok, but you might seriously considering comparison shopping and buying any insurance policy through a licensed Insurance Broker in Thailand who understands and speaks your native language and Thai. Another "local" company is the HEALTH INSURANCE part of a major Thai life insurance company. However you NEED NOT buy any life insurance policy to have decent HEALTH INSURANCE through "Thai Health insurance". Both BUPA and "Thai health Insurance" have many IN PATIENT plans which also cover outpatient EMERGENCY treatment. I've had policies with both firms, (different time periods) and for our ages currently BUPA is a better value. I've made claims with both under the advise of my licensed broker and direct payment by the insurance companies to the #1 famous Bangkok hospital and and another not so famous, but still top notch, Bangkok hospital without a single hitch. I've had BUPA send me a reimbursement check within 7 days for a minor follow up procedure that was done as out patient treatment, even though my policy is for inpatient. The key was understanding about the conditions of this policy and since ALL insurance policies in Thailand are in both ENGLISH and Thai language, it was not hard to understand.

You might consider asking the INSURANCE BILLING DEPARTMENT staff (who most often can read and understand some English) of the best private hospital you patronize which ENGLISH SPEAKING insurance broker(s) the staff can recommend. You can be certain Thai hospital billing staff are thrilled when patients have a bi-lingual broker explain situations to the Farang, so the Farang hospital patients do not take out frustration on that hospital billing department staff. The application forms for both BUPA or Thai Health Insurance are simple, and the decision process was not long with either firm. Payment can be made several ways including a bank transfer or at no extra fee, a credit card payment. Both firms offer fair discounts for three or more of a "family" and the policies do NOT have to all be of the same "plan" to obtain that discount. I've received the "no claims" check twice from BUPA which was 10% of the policy price prior to government taxes.

Thanks Kamalabob

Yes I was happy to use the BUPA site as it gave me various quote.

But when I went to their main office in Chiang Mai a girl who spoke English well told me the Crystal plan was Thai Nationals only.

The two she showed me were quite a bit more than I needed due to not needing coverage worldwide.

I will do as you suggest & check a bit further.

I also emailed BUPA's main office

Thanks

I emailed BUPA twice on the same question, i.e. only coverage in Thailand, and got the same answer that it is for Thai nationals only. Their brochure and information on the net says expressively it is for coverage in Thailand only. I'll be in Bangkok in ten days and will take the question to BUPA's main office to get a correct answer. Will post the outcome.

• Like 1

Bupa Crystal used to be for Expats, also. I guess Bupa had a lot of problems with Expats who didn't want to play by the rules. The rules not only excluded coverage outside of Thailand, they also excluded coverage for treatment at Bumrungrad, The Bangkok Group of Hospitals, and most other "5 Star" hospitals popular with expats and medical tourists. Expats can be a bit demanding at times. So, I guess that Bupa got tired of putting up with it. The coverage is low, but quite good for use at private hospitals that are popular with Thais (and many expats). It's a shame that some expats tend to be so pushy and demanding that they just distroy the options for the rest of us.

There are no other private health insurance plans sold to expats in Thailand that exclude coverage outside of Thailand. But, there are many plans whose coverage is so low that you wouldn't want to use them outside of Thailand. It's foolish to focus on buying health insurance that povides coverage only in Thailand. I suspect that bad advice came out of a forum. This is only the 3rd time I've ever seen this request and all 3 this week.

If you are looking for Thai-based insurance, you should be focusing on coverage and cost, that's all. Quality of the local insurer is only a matter of opinion. If you have problems with the insurer, you can always turn the OIC (Office of Insurance Commission). But, don't be like the expats that caused you to lose Bupa Crystal as an option.

Also, In-patient coverage is included with all health insurance plans. It is outpatient coverage that is always optional.

Edited by tonydabbs

It's foolish to focus on buying health insurance that povides coverage only in Thailand. I suspect that bad advice came out of a forum. This is only the 3rd time I've ever seen this request and all 3 this week.

If you are looking for Thai-based insurance, you should be focusing on coverage and cost, that's all. Quality of the local insurer is only a matter of opinion. If you have problems with the insurer, you can always turn the OIC (Office of Insurance Commission). But, don't be like the expats that caused you to lose Bupa Crystal as an option.

Also, In-patient coverage is included with all health insurance plans. It is outpatient coverage that is always optional.

Thanks that is interesting as to the possible demise of the Crystal plan

For myself I am based now in Thailand & notice almost all of their *worldwide* plans exclude the USA where I am from.

Also I do not need it there as I have it already

Which is why my main quest has been in-patient only Thailand. ;)

Not a big deal & I think I will probably go with BUPA's New Personal Care Plan

Seems ok for what I want...decent in-patient care & also a major medical rider where they pay 80% above the

basic in-patient benefits...excluding room,board & nursing....which seems adequate already in their plan.

After much reading I am settling on BUPA also because they seem to be the most widely recognized here.

Hi Flying,

Yes Bupa (and Thaihealth) seems to be the the ones the hospital staff mention when one ask for the ones with the "least hassle" of sorting claims.

You have obviously studied the policies/cover so you are aware of sub limits Etc. on Thai insurances that most internationally minded insurances don't have.

I think that is the main difference between the Thai vs "international" types, besides the upper limits naturally.

Whether also got international cover or not does not really affect the price of the Thai types. What affects it is simply the usual; upper limits, sub limits, deductible/self pay and in/out patient.

Cheers!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I emailed BUPA twice on the same question, i.e. only coverage in Thailand, and got the same answer that it is for Thai nationals only. Their brochure and information on the net says expressively it is for coverage in Thailand only. I'll be in Bangkok in ten days and will take the question to BUPA's main office to get a correct answer. Will post the outcome.

Here's the official answer given to me by a BUPA employee. She said that there is a mistake on their website in two cases where it reads: 'Coverage in Thailand only.' It should be: 'Coverage for Thai nationals only' and will be changed asap.

• 2 weeks later...

LMG have a low-level healthcare plan that is basically aimed at persons living in Thailand but does provide worldwide cover. Limits are quite low hence the premiums are not bad.

LMG does have a reputation for being difficult with claims but I've found them OK if the claim is genuine, not pre-existing and medical treatment essential.

Their website is useless but this link will give you the information.

http://www.lmgpacific.com/download/Downloadable_PDFs/Brochures/Brochure%20LMG%20Comprehensive%20Family%20Plan.pdf

• 11 months later...

I think BUPA on their english website show crystal plan in Thailand only , I cant read anywhere its only for Thai nationals.

I have applied for the Crystal plan so we'll see.

I used to pay 8000 baht yearly from another insurance company , also based only in Thailand, but I have decided to change to BUPA.

I think BUPA on their english website show crystal plan in Thailand only , I cant read anywhere its only for Thai nationals.

I used to pay 8000 baht yearly from another insurance company , also based only in Thailand, but I have decided to change to BUPA.

From their website: "

• Crystal Plan is eligible for Thai citizen only. "

I received a mail about a package called Personal Care , it starts from 1300 baht per month.

But I am not interested in Worldwide coverage , only coverage in Thai hospitals .

So because of that BUPA is too expensive compared with other insurance companies in Thailand.

I received a mail about a package called Personal Care , it starts from 1300 baht per month.

But I am not interested in Worldwide coverage , only coverage in Thai hospitals .

So because of that BUPA is too expensive compared with other insurance companies in Thailand.

Sorry, your post does not make sense to me.

The Crystal plan is only for Thais

Yes, that is what I said a few posts earlier, plus is only covers Thai hospitals and the most expensive hospitals are excluded.

Yes, that is what I said a few posts earlier, plus is only covers Thai hospitals and the most expensive hospitals are excluded.

Too make it clearer for you. I am looking for a health insurance plan that I can use at Thai hospitals , but without worldwide coverage. I do not want to pay any extra for something I willl never use.

Too make it clearer for you. I am looking for a health insurance plan that I can use at Thai hospitals , but without worldwide coverage. I do not want to pay any extra for something I willl never use.

To make it clearer for you, that is exactly what the Crystal plan offers and what I posted earlier: "is only covers Thai hospitals and the most expensive hospitals are excluded."

• Like 1

ma

"To make it clearer for you, that is exactly what the Crystal plan offers and what I posted earlier: "is only covers Thai hospitals and the most expensive hospitals are excluded."

Is it really that hard for you to understand my question ?

I know about the Crystal plan !! But it is for Thai citizens only so I cant use it . Comprende?

I am looking for an health plan that cover Thai hospitals only m but that foreigners can apply for !!!!

Do you understand my question ?

Edited by balo

ma

"To make it clearer for you, that is exactly what the Crystal plan offers and what I posted earlier: "is only covers Thai hospitals and the most expensive hospitals are excluded."

Is it really that hard for you to understand my question ?

I know about the Crystal plan !! But it is for Thai citizens only so I cant use it . Comprende?

I am looking for an health plan that cover Thai hospitals only m but that foreigners can apply for !!!!

Do you understand my question ?

Yes, if you don't ask a question it is difficult to understand the question.

AFAIK your requirement does not exist.

Thank you .

Yes BUPA is too expensive compared with AXA since they do not offer Crystal plan to expats anymore.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you read this page http://www.bupa.co.th/en/individuals/health-insurance/individual/detail.aspx?iid=3#.UgYx_JIweSo it clearly states that the Cyrstal Plan is only for Thai citizens.

Yes I know that now , if you read the whole thread you will understand that the Crystal plan was offered to expats earlier , but they stopped without giving any reason.

So in summary can someone provide a ballpark figure for the best deal on insurance - ie yearly rate

If had experience on using it ie they payout fairly smoothly even better.

How much is BUPA crystal plan per year? Yes I know Thai national only!

Do like I did. Go to your preferred local hospital and ask them which insurance company they recommend. I went with Thai Health, their rep. Was there like a shot. I now have also a local rep. that I can call if I have a problem. Only Thailand. Travel insurance is always there if I need it.

<snip>

How much is BUPA crystal plan per year? Yes I know Thai national only!

Hmm, I could look at their website and tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

Honestly! there's always one bright spark. I did check for crystal !! and just put in an enquiry about up until what age you can get coverage. Will report back!

So any other companies recommended for non Thais with approx price and experiences would be good!

Maybe I have to offer free beer to get a reply wacko.png