Hotel Lobbies, Train Carriages And Spa Are To Be Smoke-free

george

Hotel lobbies, train carriages and spa are to be smoke-free

BANGKOK: -- The Ministry of Public Health is planning to enforce a law banning smoking in all hotel lobbies, train and health service establishments including spa.

Public Health Minister Pinij Jarusombat said the move, which he hopes could be enforced by end of January is part of the Ministry’s policy direction that emphasises disease prevention. The number one cause of death for Thailand at the moment is cancer, which kills 45,759 people a year, or five every hour. Smoking or second-hand smokers by inhaling cigarette fume constitute one major cause of death and there are currently 11.3 million smokers in Thailand.

Mr Pinij said he has just signed two ministerial orders on to designate more types of smoke-free areas and to increase the size and visibility of no-smoking signs.

Once announced in the Royal Gazette, these two orders will prohibit smoking in all hotel lobbies that are air-conditioned; all establishments that offer traditional medicine and health related services including spa, massage and beauty retreatment parlours. All train carriages will also be smoke-free. Prior to these orders, smoking is banned only in air-conditioned compartments.

--TNA 2006-01-08

PUBLIC HEALTH MINISTER ANNOUNCED 3 MORE PLACES WHERE SMOKING IS PROHIBITED

Public Health Minister Phinit Jarusombat (พินิจ จารุสมบัติ) has announced an additional 3 categories of places where smoking would be banned inside.

The minister of public health is preparing to announce another 3 categories of places where smoking would be banned, from the current 31. The 3 new categories include all air-conditioned hotel lobbies, Thai traditional medical facilities, and other health service facilities which include massages, spas, and health & beauty salons. There will also be modification to the Public Health Ministry's regulation where only air-conditioned bogeys on trains had smoking ban, in order to ban smoking inside the whole train.

Cancer kills 50,000 Thais each year, or 5 per hour. One primary cause for cancer in Thailand is inhalation of cigarette smoke, and this has prompted the Ministry of Public Health to tighten its smoking bans even further. The new regulation is expected to take effect within this month.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 09 January 2006

"Baning it is one thing, enforcing the ban is another.

Smoking in enclosed restaurants is supposed to be banned but diners still have their eating comforts infringed upon by irresponsible smokers feeding their habit. "

Yes, the enforcement of the smoking ban in air-con restaurants seems to gradually becoming less effective, not that this is any surprise. My recent experience at Big Bull restaurant on Sukh. 4 is typical of several. When I entered mid-afternoon, the place was empty and two aircons were on and cooling. Before I sat down, I noticed ashtrays on every table. I picked one up and asked if smoking was allowed. The waiter was so sure that I wanted to smoke that he was delighted to inform me that Yes Indeed, I could smoke. It wasn't easy to convince him that No Indeed I did not want to smoke. When I went on to remind him that the Thai government has outlawed smoking in such places, his delight turned to hostility. I made sure he realized why his restaurant had just lost a customer, permanently.

Smoking in restaurants is a no-no in LoS and generally observed. Smoking in pubs that serve food as well is ok.

I have the pleasure of entertaining visitors from Europe, the majority will accept the invitation under the condition that they can smoke, so the pub it is. I do not know the Big Bull restaurant on Sukh. 4 but the name indicates to me, they are operating under a pub-licence, rather than being a restaurant.

I recently did CM-BKK by air con train, no smoking allowed anywhere....except outside between the carriages! I'm a smoker but don't have much of a problem with it being banned in restaurants, hotels lobbies etc. Even long flights aren't too bad, after the first couple of hours of gasping for a fag the need seems to taper off.