Changing International Flights At Changi Airport Singapore

David48

Can any give a 'Dummies Guide' to changing International Flights at Changi Airport, Singapore?

Nervous Traveller needs blow by blow assistance.

Photos gratefully accepted.

The layover time is a couple of hours and there is a change of Carrier from the Inbound to the Outbound flight.

Comments on the Visa requirements for a Thai National for this interchange gleefully accepted.

Thanks in Advance ... wai.gif

OH ... if anyone needs such a guide for the LCCC AirAsia Terminal in KL ... I have one written already with a photo.

I don't have any photos from inside Changi, but it would be hard to miss a connection there with 2 hours between flights. They have trains to take you between terminals and once in the main terminal there are signs everywhere. Changi is one of the few airports in the world where I don't mind a bit of a layover as it has a little of everything. Think of it as a shopping mall that just happens to be an airport too.

• Like 1

... They have trains to take you between terminals and once in the main terminal there are signs everywhere. ...

Good thoughts ... make sure of the arriving and departing Terminals.

The 'couple of hours' was an expression ... maybe 3 or 4 hours ... so heaps of time for the changeover ... just a nervous passenger.

Have found a map for guidance.

I didn't know about the Trains ...

post-104736-0-95711900-1340143215_thumb.

Edited by David48

... They have trains to take you between terminals and once in the main terminal there are signs everywhere. ...

The 'couple of hours' was an expression ... maybe 3 or 4 hours ... so heaps of time for the changeover ... just a nervous passenger.

Your lady has nothing to worry about, Changi airport is very efficient and quite compact, as soon as she arrives the staff will be very happy to direct her to the departure terminal or gate appropriate to her.

There is a one carriage monorail that takes you between the two terminals, it's only about two minutes between them. it's hard to get lost, and impossible to get lost for four hours.

You will be aware that Thai nationals get a visa on arrival, it's just as straightforward as we experience going through Thai immigration, easy. the only thing that she will have to remember to have in hand is her onward and return flight details, and visa for Oz.

Quite frankly, your lady has nothing to worry about, I can think of plenty of airports that are a nightmare for a nervous traveler, this is not one of them.

ps......don't give her that map!!! The airport staff will direct her to the monorail.

Edited by theblether
  • Like 2

Your lady has nothing to worry about, Changi airport is very efficient and quite compact, as soon as she arrives the staff will be very happy to direct her to the departure terminal or gate appropriate to her.

There is a one carriage monorail that takes you between the two terminals, it's only about two minutes between them. it's hard to get lost, and impossible to get lost for four hours.

You will be aware that Thai nationals get a visa on arrival, it's just as straightforward as we experience going through Thai immigration, easy. the only thing that she will have to remember to have in hand is her onward and return flight details, and visa for Oz.

Quite frankly, your lady has nothing to worry about, I can think of plenty of airports that are a nightmare for a nervous traveler, this is not one of them.

ps......don't give her that map!!! The airport staff will direct her to the monorail.

There are of course now 4 Terminals. The monorail links T1 & T2, though I'm not sure about T3, as it sprung up since I moved from Sin.. The "Budget Terminal", which Tiger Airways & a few others (which are unlikely to be relevant to u, as they go to the Phils ) use, is definitely not linked by the monorail, but there is a free bus service.

While I agree with those who've stated that Sin is one of the most user-friendly airports in the world, it is worth noting, without being alarmist, that they can be extremely unreasonable & inflexible in their behaviour towards Thai ladies travelling alone (I don't see where u've stated that we're talking about a female, but let's assume u are). As already stated, she needs her onward ticket, but they may also want to see the equivalent of S$1,000 (THB25,000) in cash. This is unlikely, as she'll be in transit, but not impossible, if for some reason they think this is an elaborate scam/scheme to sneak into Sin. It is a requirement for entering Sin, & someone going thru immigration is entering the country, if only for the time required to check-in.

I'm assuming that at least one of the carriers being used here is a so-called "Budget carrier". If this is the case, then a traveller needs to pick up bags, go thru immigration & customs, & check-in again. If both airlines are full-cost carriers, it may be possible to check the bags all the way thru to their final destination, & remain airside (ie not have to go thru immigration).

Have been to Changi many times, last less than two months ago. Wish all airports were this simple for transits. Everything is convenient, and multiple information desks in plain sight. Tell her no fear.

After exiting her plane just follow the flow to the central core, not to baggage, immigration or any other alternative. If she is unsure then check with the info desk which is right in front upon entering the large open core area.

Thanks to all above who took the time to post.

I do need to clarify something for any further replies ...

The passenger is flying AirAsia into SIN then the new Singapore based Budget Scoot onto Australia so she will have to immigrate into Singapore collect the bags and then check-in her luggage and then leave Singapore.

With Visas on Australian passports of the type the passenger has are actually electronic and don't show in the passport ...

Thanks to all above who took the time to post.

I do need to clarify something for any further replies ...

The passenger is flying AirAsia into SIN then the new Singapore based Budget Scoot onto Australia so she will have to immigrate into Singapore collect the bags and then check-in her luggage and then leave Singapore.

With Visas on Australian passports of the type the passenger has are actually electronic and don't show in the passport ...

yes, unfortunately what Keeniau wrote was correct in his case (because he was on one carrier), but not neither relevant nor correct in this case (because you had specified she would be flying on two). I'm sure Sin immigration are totally familiar with the way aus currently display or don't display visas, however, it might be a good idea to take along some hard copy record showing that a visa has indeed been granted.....

Should not be problem...please note AirAsia operates in and out from Terminal 1 whereas Scoot Airlines from Terminal 2...clear CIQ upon arrival, exit Terminal 1 to take a SkyTrain to Terminal 2 for Scoot departure..there are large signs to guide you...it's a breeze compare to BKK...