Leather Belts

butterisbetter

I'm looking for a durable leather belt. The ones I've bought in Thailand so far more or less disintegrate within a few weeks of use. I've been told that there is a really competent leather worker who has a shop somewhere in the vicinity of the Night Bazaar. Can anyone direct me to him or someone else similarly competent?

I found a great place for belts. Unfortunately the guy's business card must have been printed with invisible ink. When I took it out of my desk drawer just now, I kid you not, it is pure white with only a faint hint of the logo remaining! Very odd...

Any way it is called John Henry or John Hardy or some odd name like that. They make very nice belts to order, some with Western-style (cowboy) buckles. Price range is like 300-1200 THB or thereabouts for nice quality. They have a little kiosk on the road going from where Meechok Plaza is to Mae Rim if that makes sense. Basically if you are coming from Faham on the Mae Jo Road and are approaching Rimping, turn left. Go down that road about 2?? km and at some point there will be a turnaround. The turnaround takes you right to a large restaurant called Phitsanulok Thai Foods. In the parking lot are a row of kiosks. The restaurant owns a tour bus company and the vendors cater to tourists that come there on the tour buses to eat. So basically, they are not open too early or too late. If you go mid-day you should find them open although I believe the restaurant and the kiosks are all closed either Tuesday or Wednesday and also Sunday. Sorry I had hoped to provide you with the telephone number but can't.

I bought a very nice belt there 3 years ago. Still looks good (except my waist has expanded)!

I found a great place for belts. Unfortunately the guy's business card must have been printed with invisible ink. When I took it out of my desk drawer just now, I kid you not, it is pure white with only a faint hint of the logo remaining! Very odd...

Any way it is called John Henry or John Hardy or some odd name like that. They make very nice belts to order, some with Western-style (cowboy) buckles. Price range is like 300-1200 THB or thereabouts for nice quality. They have a little kiosk on the road going from where Meechok Plaza is to Mae Rim if that makes sense. Basically if you are coming from Faham on the Mae Jo Road and are approaching Rimping, turn left. Go down that road about 2?? km and at some point there will be a turnaround. The turnaround takes you right to a large restaurant called Phitsanulok Thai Foods. In the parking lot are a row of kiosks. The restaurant owns a tour bus company and the vendors cater to tourists that come there on the tour buses to eat. So basically, they are not open too early or too late. If you go mid-day you should find them open although I believe the restaurant and the kiosks are all closed either Tuesday or Wednesday and also Sunday. Sorry I had hoped to provide you with the telephone number but can't.

I bought a very nice belt there 3 years ago. Still looks good (except my waist has expanded)!

Thanks. Your directions are very clear.

If you want the "real deal" take a long drive to the city of Pak Chong in Nakonratisma. There's a place there called "Buffalo Bill's" and it's like walking into a tack shop back home. Has a wide range of leather belts, jeans, western shirts, boots and all the riding gear you need to fall off a horse and break you're ass with.

I bought a belt there 14 years ago and had my name in silver put on the back and then attached it to my silver belt buckle that I've worn everyday of my life since the age of around 17. All the gear is imported from the States twice a year by a guy who owns of all things a dog clothing manufacturing business here in Thailand that exports to the States. I buy all my shirts and Stetson hats there along with another western thingies I might see and grab up.

Just saying all this in the case you or anyone else gets over that way one day and then will know where to go for that western wear some of us still insist wearing her in the land of Smiles.

The OP asked about a leather shop near the night Bazaar, there is one very close to Changklan Rd, named Tawood Leather. heading toward Butter is Better turn

right at Pantip Plaza into Sridonchai, past Suriwong bookshop, Tawood is about 100M/130m on the same side. Only a small shop but good custom leatherwork done onsite. I have used him for a number of years and have never been disappointed in the range or quality of workmanship.

Sure beats going all the way to Korat or even Mae Jo sad.png

Reason for edit, I got my left from my right not right.

Edited by justcruisin

The OP asked about a leather shop near the night Bazaar, there is one very close to Changklan Rd, named Tawood Leather. heading toward Butter is Better turn

right at Pantip Plaza into Sridonchai, past Suriwong bookshop, Tawood is about 100M/130m on the same side. Only a small shop but good custom leatherwork done onsite. I have used him for a number of years and have never been disappointed in the range or quality of workmanship.

Sure beats going all the way to Korat or even Mae Jo sad.png

Reason for edit, I got my left from my right not right.

I think this poster may have meant "Dawood Leather Craft." If so, he's excellent. I can vouch for himn 100%. I drew our some zippered leather tool pouches I wanted made for my motorcycle. when the were ready, they were perfect -- right out of my head and into reality. I also had him make me a couple of belts. He has a lot in stock, but Thais tend to prefer softer leathers. I wanted a good stiff belt made from saddle leather. I ordered one black and one brown. Perfect. They will last the rest of my life. What more can I say.

I have attached his business card with map.post-74366-0-15106200-1340246936_thumb.j

In my experience, leather products tend to 'mold' in Thailand. Had several nice belts and shoes I brought here from my country, all have more or less disintegrated. sad.png

My prized black leather jacket that I wore almost daily for like 15 years in USA and Europe has molded and rotted away in my closet. If you grab it, pieces fall off like dust. sad.png

I'd just like to thank all the people who contributed useful information to this thread. And even to the very few whose information wasn't so useful. I mean, it wouldn't be a thaivisa.com thread without some irrelevant contributions. It's kind of like fodder. Some of it is not digestible but if the content is too nutritious, it makes cows ill. I think my 60 year old brain would gag on a surfeit of germane comments.

As it is, I got a belt, and it seems durable enough. I went to Dawood's because it's very convenient to where I am. But I'm sure that the other suggestions were equally good.

I didn't know the guy's name, but yes, he's on Sridonchai, headed toward the Kattam corner of the moat on the left-hand side, set among all the hardware stores. Yes, you can access him from Changklan, but it's better to think of him on the road headed into town towards the SE corner of the moat.

I bought a brown leather belt from him which is awesome, durable, and good looking. K. Mestizo, he'll definitely have the Mestizo sizes available, as he makes the belts long and then trims off to adjut for individual needs. Mine is two years into service now - not heavy service, mind you, as it's a brown one n I mainly use my old black one from the US - and it's held up very well. I'd highly recommend him n will go back in the future.

Also, a freind of mine had some custom leather work done for her in the form of waitress aprons - to hold pens n pads of paper etc., and she's totally happy with how he carried thru on her design and the craftmanship n durability too.