Baggage Tampered With.

POMCHOB

If travelling in the USA you might want to note that:

TSA screens every passenger's baggage before it is placed on an airplane. While our technology allows us to electronically screen bags, there are times when we need to physically inspect a piece of luggage. TSA has worked with several companies to develop locks that can be opened by security officers using universal "master" keys so that the locks may not have to be cut. These locks are available at airports and travel stores nationwide. The packaging on the locks indicates whether they can be opened by TSA.

This happens to people regardless of airline so it's unfair to single them out like that. Were these checked bags, or were they carry-on stored in bins?

Well, address the issue with the airline as it is their handling agent for which the airline is paying. Check on youtube and see how easy it is to open and reseal a travel bag with a zip. Use lockable hardshell travel equipment or carry on to avoid any such hussles.

Perfumes are considered as dangerous goods, most likely, the ground handling companies have the rights to remove it without consent.

Errr, no they are not.....crazy.gif

Depends upon the quantity. Large amounts of alcohol based perfumes are considered as flammables.

Typically, when security removes the items, they are supposed to insert a card stating that the bag was opened and what was removed.

I wanted to double check with the most anal of organizations, the USA TSA and went to its website. I bet most people are unaware of these rules that apply to US carriers checked bags; Hazardous property is forbidden in checked bags. There is an allowance for small amounts of personal use items. However, in large quantities, the property can be refused.

Hazardous property, including aerosols and liquids/gels with a high alcohol content, (e.g.>40 proof or 20% alcohol, such as perfume, aftershave, hand sanitizer, mouthwash,distilled spirits, etc.),

Many airlines have similar definitions.This one was a shocker;

Lighters without fuel are permitted in checked baggage. Lighters with fuel are prohibited in checked baggage, unless they adhere to the Department of Transportation (DOT) exemption, which allows up to two fueled lighters if properly enclosed in a DOT approved case. If you are uncertain as to whether your lighter is prohibited, please leave it at home.

Perfumes are considered as dangerous goods, most likely, the ground handling companies have the rights to remove it without consent.

What???

It's true. I recently read an article on Thai-Visa that said items like perfume and hair gel are prohibited. I'm not sure, though, if the personell is allowed to take it out of your suitcase after it has been checked in. It should happen at check-in in my opinion.

What???

It's true. I recently read an article on Thai-Visa that said items like perfume and hair gel are prohibited. I'm not sure, though, if the personell is allowed to take it out of your suitcase after it has been checked in. It should happen at check-in in my opinion.

I really don't care what Thai Visa wrote, this is simply not true.

What???

Perfume can fall under the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations (DGR), depending on the percentage of alcohol. More precisely, on the flash point (the temperature at which it ignites). Dangerous goods are not allowed in suitcases.

Hair gel are not likely to have such a high percentage of alcohol. Are you mixing this up with what can be carrier as hand baggage?

Errr, no they are not.....crazy.gif

Depends upon the quantity. Large amounts of alcohol based perfumes are considered as flammables.

Typically, when security removes the items, they are supposed to insert a card stating that the bag was opened and what was removed.

I wanted to double check with the most anal of organizations, the USA TSA and went to its website. I bet most people are unaware of these rules that apply to US carriers checked bags; Hazardous property is forbidden in checked bags. There is an allowance for small amounts of personal use items. However, in large quantities, the property can be refused.

Hazardous property, including aerosols and liquids/gels with a high alcohol content, (e.g.>40 proof or 20% alcohol, such as perfume, aftershave, hand sanitizer, mouthwash,distilled spirits, etc.),

Many airlines have similar definitions.This one was a shocker;

Lighters without fuel are permitted in checked baggage. Lighters with fuel are prohibited in checked baggage, unless they adhere to the Department of Transportation (DOT) exemption, which allows up to two fueled lighters if properly enclosed in a DOT approved case. If you are uncertain as to whether your lighter is prohibited, please leave it at home.

IATA DGR allows dangerous goods in "excepted quantities" (which are very small quantities), that's correct.

Is there a shrink wrapping service available at Suvarnabhumi airport?

Yes

OK, thanks for the 'Yes" but now where could this be done, how much (if you know) and any other pertinent info regarding this service. Thanks

Edited by snooky

Well, I am very surprised to hear that you have had a response from AirAsia. I had baggage broken into on a Thailand internal AirAsia flight in April 2012. I reported the incident via their online eForm but didn't get any response whatsoever.

Yes

OK, thanks for the 'Yes" but now where could this be done, how much (if you know) and any other pertinent info regarding this service. Thanks

There is a stand at the entrance to the departure hall, when you come from the outside. I think it's at door 2 or 3. Never checked for the cost, as I only use hardplastic suitcases.

Yes

There are several in the departure hall. Each one near one of the entries from outdoors. Price is 120 Baht per item.

Yermanee wai.gif

Yes

There is a stand at the entrance to the departure hall, when you come from the outside. I think it's at door 2 or 3. Never checked for the cost, as I only use hardplastic suitcases.

Saw one yesterday at door 2.