webfact

THAILAND'S GOT TALENT

BEC fined for bare breasts on show

WATCHIRANONT THONGTEP,

PAKAMARD JAICHALARD

THE NATION

30184597-01_big.jpg

NBTC decides on top penalty because producers guilty of not censoring show

BANGKOK: -- Channel 3 operator Bangkok Entertainment Company (BEC) has been fined Bt500,000 by the National Broadcasting and Telecommunication Commission (NBTC) for allowing a female contestant to paint on canvas with her bare breasts on the Sunday episode of its prime-time show "Thailand's Got Talent".

Perapong Manakij, chairman of NBTC's subcommittee on programming and content, said yesterday that the TV station had failed to cut inappropriate content in its prime-time programme, so a high fine had to be levied in line with Article 37 of the 2008 Broadcasting Act.

The resolution was approved in a special NBTC meeting at which executives from the channel and the show's producers Work Point Entertainment explained their action. Perapong added that executives from both agencies had admitted to making mistakes in terms of censoring the show.

If the mistake is repeated, Perapong said, NBTC had the power to order MCOT, which grants the broadcasting concession contract, to force BEC and ThaiTV3 to remove the show or terminate its contract with BEC.

Pravit Maleenont, senior executive vice president and executive director for television business at BEC, said that he was sincerely sorry for this mistake and promised it would not be repeated. The company was implementing all measures needed to prevent such problems in the future, he added.

Culture Minister Sukumol Kunplome yesterday called on the show's producers and the television station to take responsibility for allowing the contestant to go bare breasted on television, while police are investigating whether the incident falls under the frame of lewd acts.

Police spokesman Piya Utayo said Metropolitan Police that if it is deemed a lewd act, the police would punish those who had supported the contestant to behave in this way.

Sukumol said the matter needed urgent action because inappropriate images had been shown to the public on a television programme that had been given the "thor" rating for general viewing and was broadcast during prime time. She insisted that all parties work together to improve the content of the show, adding that the producers and Channel 3 should apologise for broadcasting inappropriate content.

Rather than focusing on the life of Duangjai Jansaunoi, the 23-year old contestant, she said society should look at the channel's censoring procedure, because it was obviously not being respected. She said she hoped this would not happen again as it affected the country's image.

Declining to comment about allegations that the nude model had been hired to bare her breasts on television to boost the show's ratings, Sukumol said it was unclear and society should allow all sides to explain themselves.

Narathip Phumsab, member of the Moral Promotion Centre's board, said this was a major concern and it should not just be blamed on the media - organisers and everybody involved should take responsibility.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-21

Would have expected a reduced fine, given the relatively small dimensions of the offending appendages. Anyway, 500k is probably cheap for global (un)coverage.

Yup......and to be fair it's good to see the NBTC keeping abreast of the situation

I'll get my coat

"Pravit Maleenont, senior executive vice president and executive director for television business at BEC, said that he was sincerely sorry for this mistake and promised it would not be repeated. The company was implementing all measures needed to prevent such problems in the future, he added".

Wow, I guess they will now develop and implement a complex and professional methodology with lots of process steps and more.

What crap, my guess is that it was all deliberate. They know full well that a major part of their audience is teenagers and younger kids, lack of community values, anything to generate attention onto the show, regardless of morals, and make big bucks.

Edited by scorecard

Apparently we all missed the political connotations of the artist being from the North of Thailand, the outline of the person being in Yellow, and the paint being largely dark red. clap2.gif

http://agentofthefree.blogspot.com/

Duangjai’s initial drawing of the yellow outline of a person obviously represented the PAD movement. But what she did afterwards totally lost me. She used her breasts to aptly deface the image representing the PAD. Had she used her feet or, more appropriately, her buttocks then that would have convinced me that she was a true artist and had true talent. And the finished painting seemed unremarkable to me.

And I thought it was just a chick squishing her boobs all over a piece of paper.

I'm missing the reason for the big hubbub here...

The pairing of nude breasts with "Thailand's Got Talent" seems to me to be a natural and perfectly appropriate pairing. tongue.png

It certainly highlights one (or two) of Thailand's great natural resources... those being bare boobies.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

Apparently we all missed the political connotations of the artist being from the North of Thailand, the outline of the person being in Yellow, and the paint being largely dark red. clap2.gif

Duangjai’s initial drawing of the yellow outline of a person obviously represented the PAD movement. But what she did afterwards totally lost me. She used her breasts to aptly deface the image representing the PAD. Had she used her feet or, more appropriately, her buttocks then that would have convinced me that she was a true artist and had true talent. And the finished painting seemed unremarkable to me.

And I thought it was just a chick squishing her **** all over a piece of paper.

Yes, it was!!!! Nothing more!!!!!

Edited by tombkk
: Wording

I thought it was a fine example of Thai culture at its most true.

The hi-so Na Songkla trying her best to uphold the views of the elite being those that are Thai culture, whilst the rest look on and enjoy the show in the truth of Thai people and their culture. Sanook sanook! Na Songkla furious at both judges and audience for not upholding her version of 'Thai Culture' then storming off stage.

The act itself, a young northern girl painting herself red and rubbing her tits all over the PAD yellow shirt image was the perfect description of the Northern attitude to this hi-so version of Thai Culture. And then, as the link above shows, to perfect the show, Na Songkla's hypocrisy.

Benz1.jpg

Fantastic stuff!

Edited by naboo
  • Like 1

After a few minutes' more research I think it is extremely likely that Porchita "Benz" Na Songkla was in on it from the start. The show follows a pattern. An episode featured a male stripper who got down to a pair of flimsy undies and proceeded to shake his three piece suite around to the huge enjoyment of Benz, who insisted that the dance should go on after the two male judges stopped it. The female tittie painting was a clearly intended to poke friendly fun at Benz for having posed nude in a series of photographs where her titties are covered with chocolate, as illustrated in the post above.

Poor Benz, while passably good looking, is spectacularly devoid of talent as this video of her singing painfully out of tune with Bird shows clearly.http://veclip.com/wa...a-do-re-mi.html

Her Wikipedia entry mentions only that she's a judge on Thailand's Got Talent. Now that she is getting to a dangerous age where the vestiges of her good looks and the Na Songkla affix might no longer be enough to make the phone ring much, stunts like this to get her into the news are probably welcome. The feigned outrage also gave her an opportunity to earn her money in her role as deputy spokesperson at the Ministry of Culture.

Edited by Arkady
  • Like 1

After a few minutes' more research I think it is extremely likely that Porchita "Benz" Na Songkla was in on it from the start. The show follows a pattern. An episode featured a male stripper who got down to a pair of flimsy undies and proceeded to shake his three piece suite around to the huge enjoyment of Benz, who insisted that the dance should go on after the two male judges stopped it. The female tittie painting was a clearly intended to poke friendly fun at Benz for having posed nude in a series of photographs where her titties are covered with chocolate, as illustrated in the post above.

Poor Benz, while passably good looking, is spectacularly devoid of talent as this video of her singing painfully out of tune with Bird shows clearly.http://veclip.com/wa...a-do-re-mi.html

Her Wikipedia entry mentions only that she's a judge on Thailand's Got Talent. Now that she is getting to a dangerous age where the vestiges of her good looks and the Na Songkla affix might no longer be enough to make the phone ring much, stunts like this to get her into the news are probably welcome. The feigned outrage also gave her an opportunity to earn her money in her role as deputy spokesperson at the Ministry of Culture.

Cynical, but possible.......

For those interested in more detailed research in order to vent more informed views, the video is available here.

http://www.mid-day.c...in-Thailand.htm

The whole thing is obviously a set up. The two MCs are taking the piss by pretending they didn't know what was going to happen and the two male judges are clearly prepared for what is about to happen. I rather suspect that the female judge may have also been prepared but she put on a fairly good show of morale outrage and declared the display was inconsistent with Thai culture (that boasts the largest sex trade in the world, virtually all for local consumption). Her nose may have been put out of joint as a her attempt to display her own modest cleavage was upstaged by the contestant showing the lot. Clearly the girl has no artistic talent and it is a not a surprise that she complained her artistic endeavours are ignored unless she disrobes.

In conclusion the promotional stunt that was in fact recorded two months before airing has been a roaring success for the programmes producers (Workpoint) and BEC World at a cost of only B500,000 which buys you about a split second of advertising on BEC World!

Is this the pixelated version? There must be an uncensored version somewhere?

I thought it was a fine example of Thai culture at its most true.

The hi-so Na Songkla trying her best to uphold the views of the elite being those that are Thai culture, whilst the rest look on and enjoy the show in the truth of Thai people and their culture. Sanook sanook! Na Songkla furious at both judges and audience for not upholding her version of 'Thai Culture' then storming off stage.

The act itself, a young northern girl painting herself red and rubbing her tits all over the PAD yellow shirt image was the perfect description of the Northern attitude to this hi-so version of Thai Culture. And then, as the link above shows, to perfect the show, Na Songkla's hypocrisy.

Benz1.jpg

Fantastic stuff!

More importantly, was it Belgian chocolate?

I don't even get it. The titties are censored. Even while they are covered in paint, they still have them censored? This is such a weak publicity stunt, I am surprised that it even gets this sort of attention.

Are you living in Thailand? There is nothing weak over here about this stunt.

And I thought it was just a chick squishing her ***** all over a piece of paper.

Sorry I had to edit your post for legal reasons.

For those interested in more detailed research in order to vent more informed views, the video is available here.

http://www.mid-day.c...in-Thailand.htm

The whole thing is obviously a set up. The two MCs are taking the piss by pretending they didn't know what was going to happen and the two male judges are clearly prepared for what is about to happen. I rather suspect that the female judge may have also been prepared but she put on a fairly good show of morale outrage and declared the display was inconsistent with Thai culture (that boasts the largest sex trade in the world, virtually all for local consumption). Her nose may have been put out of joint as a her attempt to display her own modest cleavage was upstaged by the contestant showing the lot. Clearly the girl has no artistic talent and it is a not a surprise that she complained her artistic endeavours are ignored unless she disrobes.

In conclusion the promotional stunt that was in fact recorded two months before airing has been a roaring success for the programmes producers (Workpoint) and BEC World at a cost of only B500,000 which buys you about a split second of advertising on BEC World!

Was it that obvious? No, come on, this was an honest mistake. They are bleeding and crying, not happy at all about the fine they have to pay for world-wide coverage. Who in his right mind would willingly pay such a high amount for a global PR stunt? I will assume that this high fine will almost ruin the company. And rightly so! They violated local cultural norms upheld by the chocolate girl.

(My opinion is not necessarily shared by the owners of ThaiVisa.com even though my title says "moderator".)

what a bunch of hypocrites .. you can see breasts in almost every Patpong , Patong Pattayas bars ..... how chocking is that ?

Yes....Hypocrites of the worst kind.

The shows where women shoot bananas out of their private parts, smoke cigarettes, etc.... tourist are lured into these shows, and Thailand is known for this kinda of stuff...... If they are ignorant of these or simply trying to forget these and punish this lady or the organisers....then the law needs to be applied to everyone. Doesnt this stink?

Her Wikipedia entry mentions only that she's a judge on Thailand's Got Talent. Now that she is getting to a dangerous age where the vestiges of her good looks and the Na Songkla affix might no longer be enough to make the phone ring much, stunts like this to get her into the news are probably welcome.

To give her props mate ( and myself not being the biggest fan of the genre would be the understatement of the millenium) she is one of Thailand's biggest soap stars one of which is running this very week on prime time so I doubt she'll be temping at 7-11 anytime soon. biggrin.png

what a bunch of hypocrites .. you can see breasts in almost every Patpong , Patong Pattayas bars ..... how chocking is that ?

Yes....Hypocrites of the worst kind.

The shows where women shoot bananas out of their private parts, smoke cigarettes, etc.... tourist are lured into these shows, and Thailand is known for this kinda of stuff...... If they are ignorant of these or simply trying to forget these and punish this lady or the organisers....then the law needs to be applied to everyone. Doesnt this stink?

Yes alan but the examples you mentioned aren't exactly part of Channel 3, MCOT or ITV's early Sunday evening schedule which is the whole bloody point.