Australian Stabbed In Heart In Thai Bag-Snatch Tragedy

webfact

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were discussing this incident this morning in another area here and all the comments were directed to the support of the victim.

There are times and places to vilify Phuket and all that has tragically gone wrong there ... but maybe not this time, not this day and not this thread.

Stop talking rubbish.

There is no-one on here that does not feel sympathy for the victims, and in so doing are right to highlight their own personal opinions regarding the safety or otherwise of Phuket which is the topic of the thread.

Stop trying to censor people or stopping them from their right to free speech on this board, of you don't like it - find another board.

Crobe

Umm Crobe, you just censored David's opinion

But my view is instead of focussing that this was a Phuket crime and warning against it etc as has been mentioned I think education on Travel safety would be time better spent. Bag snatchers on bikes occur in many countries.

I was taught many things to avoid being chosen as a "target"; carry your bag over the shoulder with the bag on your side away from the street. Walk as far from the kerb as possible, ideally under clothing etc (or one visible and valuables that are ESSENTIAL be in a hidden one if you are really concerned). But paramount is the rule the same as if you are mugged - give up your bag, jewellery etc - dont fight them it isn't worth your life.

These ladies were walking on a quiet street , late at night and were worried that this motorcycle had driven up and down past them a number of times - if this happens run into a safe area!

• Like 1

I know of 3 families totalling 15 persons travelling from Melbourne to Phuket this morning, my brother in law and a party of 12 arrived back from Phuket last night. I know of several other people going there next week. No matter what happens there, people will always go to Phuket for their holidays. For most Australians it is an adventure and a cheap holiday.

its time to stop the corny remarks about the police force .... its no longer a joke .....i cannot understand why a country such as australia does not slap a travel ban on this place immediately ...the phuket police are nothing but tea money collectors , they see tourists purely as a source of income .... until corruption is dealt with we will live in a lawless society ... so time to bail , tell your friends , colleagues , business associates stay away ....go to Myanamar ....

Can a country ban you from visiting another? Sounds a bit daft. The governments job is to give advise based on accurate information, surely? For sure issue warning etc, but a ban?

...low-life scum....can't be bothered to work....attack innocent, 'weaker' victims....

(of course, target the foreigners...they can afford it...they deserve it....???....who knows how they rationalize it....but it is epidemic...)

(And oh... they will apologize.... if caught.....'so sorry'....and give some inane/absurd/incongruous excuse or explanation....)

We were discussing this incident this morning in another area here and all the comments were directed to the support of the victim.

There are times and places to vilify Phuket and all that has tragically gone wrong there ... but maybe not this time, not this day and not this thread.

Stop talking rubbish.

There is no-one on here that does not feel sympathy for the victims, and in so doing are right to highlight their own personal opinions regarding the safety or otherwise of Phuket which is the topic of the thread.

Stop trying to censor people or stopping them from their right to free speech on this board, of you don't like it - find another board.

Crobe

Thank you again for your insights into free speech.

In a thread where we are collectively mourning the loss of a fellow citizen and I politely ask that this thread may not be the appropriate moment to rage against Phuket and to focus on the victim instead, you are suggesting that I leave?

You talk about free speech ... yet deny me mine?

You say that 'There is no-one on here that does not feel sympathy for the victims' ... well actually there have been and the Mods have seen fit to remove those comments ... and rightfully so.

So ... on a morning where I and many other Australians are mourning the loss of a fellow citizen … maybe the focus can be about her and this tragedy and we can leave discussing Phukets ills for another day?

TaT not having a good week are they. They are going to have to start a "Thailand is safe, jing jing" campaign very soon if this keeps up. "Land of Smiles while we stab you in the heart" just isn't doing it.

• Like 1

its time to stop the corny remarks about the police force .... its no longer a joke .....i cannot understand why a country such as australia does not slap a travel ban on this place immediately ...the phuket police are nothing but tea money collectors , they see tourists purely as a source of income .... until corruption is dealt with we will live in a lawless society ... so time to bail , tell your friends , colleagues , business associates stay away ....go to Myanamar ....

Can a country ban you from visiting another? Sounds a bit daft. The governments job is to give advise based on accurate information, surely? For sure issue warning etc, but a ban?

Your insurance company can invalidate your insurance if a warning has been issued on a recognised site.

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/advice/Thailand will issue the following advice for Thailand

Exercise a high degree of caution. Pay close attention to your personal security at all times and monitor the media about possible new safety or security risks.

This is happening far to often and to think that one of the reasons I choose to live here was trying to avoid the senseless crimes in experienced in my birth country.

I have a question though, and it's been mulling in my head ever since the Phi Phi girls case, are there any stats with regards to the amount of murders/assaults/rape of foreigners in Phuket/thailand per annum, whether they be ex pats or tourists?

A couple Saturdays ago on Thai television, channel 3 I think, the afternoon slapstick comedy show was on. What caught my attention was that a sketch came on involving 2 very well known Thai comedians who proceeded to pretend to take it in turn to stab each other with large knives while another 'comedian' squirted them with fake blood. It was embarrassingly unfunny but showed a blasé attitude towards knives and the use of them.

For too many years the travel industry here and at home has been complicit in hiding what has been going on in some tourist areas in Thailand so that it can carry on relieving holidaymakers of their cash. It's time to come clean and internationally 'out' these places. People go on holiday to enjoy themselves, not to become the victim of some lowlife criminal.

Absolute cowards, hope they catch these rotten bastards.

RIP to the victim from Perth & my condolences to her family

What a tragedy for her work colleagues/friends to witness.

Further information & comments from the victim’s home city here:

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/australian-woman-stabbed-dead-in-phuket/story-e6frg13u-1226403697496

RIP

Amazing Thailand!!!!

Stop talking rubbish.

Crobe

Umm Crobe, you just censored David's opinion

Not at all,

I stated that people have the right to state their opinion without being told not to - free choice

I also stated that he has the right to find another board IF he does not like peoples opinions, again free choice

no censorship there

Crobe

If I am reading your post correctly ... you want the Australian Government to 'slap a ban' of Phuket or on Thailand?

Phuket maybe be difficult to do because it's not a Nation.

The whole of Thailand is not Phuket.

Governments can, and frequently do, slap travel warnings and advisories on countries and various parts of countries that they consider not safe.

Usually this is because of a major threat such as civil war or major civil disturbance, but in these cases they withdraw all government personnel, including consular services, advise their citizens to leave the area immediately and issue the warning against all unnecessary travel to the affected area.

In such cases travel agencies, cruises etc have to also avoid the area as they may be held liable.

Now I am not suggesting that Australia should go to such an extreme measure, but the threat of such an action of other incidents occurred is a powerful economic weapon, especially in tourist dependent areas.

As for the Australian travel agencies selling holidays to Phuket - if they cannot guarantee the safety of one of their own, how can they guarantee it to their customers - it will be interesting to know if greed overcomes prudence.

Crobe

Thank you for that insightfull statement on how the Australian Government 'slap' ... issue travel warnings to their citizens ... I never would have known that.

The comment that I was replying to stated that a travel ban should be initiated immediately and should be read in that context.

Let us know how a government is going to enforce a travel ban to Thailand. In Australia, as in other countries, they have travel advisory websites that are extensively advertised, at least in Australia. As well as providing a booklet when issuing a passport recommending viewing the website prior to traveling. As you probably already know the Australian government website for Thailand is http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/advice/Thailand and states in Thailand exercise a high degree of caution.

Please not not misunderstand I am not saying this does not detract from this very sad case of murder.

It is my understanding that if a government does issue a warning " do not travel " to a country or particular part of a country ie: The Australian governmentt warning on travel to the 3 southern provinces of Thailand, you can of course still travel but any travel insurance you might have is then void.

Thailand = Land of False Smiles

Farang = Money

60 yr Old Female Farang = Easy Money

Police = Whatever you can pay them

No Justice - No Security

Why Bother Anymore?

Myanmar, Laos etc etc are far more safer and way more relaxed with as much, if not more, beauty to see.

Time to move on from lawless Thailand, with absolutely no regards for foreigners/tourists other than their money.

Wake up and smell the coffee.......

• Like 1

Welcome to Phuket. This is what it's like here. Some will say it's safe blah blah. teh fact of the matter is that most of these attacks successful or attempted don't even get reported to theI police. What's the point?

I sincerely believe that the police di know, but turn a blind eye, seen it many times, they protect by pretending to be ignorant. They are arrogant when they are exposed and often end up saying go home if you do not like it here. Well consudering all the money zocked its not worth it!

RIP to the victim.

Pretty sick you take a vacation and end up going back in a body bag!

I would guess that being a Travel Agent she was not on holiday.

I would also like to guess that there will be no more tourists sent through that agency (as a statement of respect), I would be supprized if the contracts are not all cancelled.

When there is no touism on this un-policed island, these teenage morons will have to work in the coconut or rubber plantations as they all did before the good times.

Stop talking rubbish.

Crobe

Thank you again for your insights into free speech.

In a thread where we are collectively mourning the loss of a fellow citizen and I politely ask that this thread may not be the appropriate moment to rage against Phuket and to focus on the victim instead, you are suggesting that I leave?

You talk about free speech ... yet deny me mine?

You say that 'There is no-one on here that does not feel sympathy for the victims' ... well actually there have been and the Mods have seen fit to remove those comments ... and rightfully so.

So ... on a morning where I and many other Australians are mourning the loss of a fellow citizen … maybe the focus can be about her and this tragedy and we can leave discussing Phukets ills for another day?

David,

I sympathise with your feelings over the loss of a fellow national and I know they are heartfelt, but having a discussion board that is limited only to messages of condolence is not a discussion board.

While we are all concerned with the victims, there are people on the board who rightly want to raise issues that draw lessons from this tragedy, and what can be done in order to make sure it does not happen again.

I suspect that like you, I also find distasteful comments that blame the victim. it is an easy way to make a speech with no consequences and they would feel differently if it happened to them or their loved ones, but they are entitled to express their opinions, whether we agree with them or not.

Crobe

Amazing Thailand!!!!

No...it is Miracle Thailand...get it right....cos its a Miracle people still come here and its a Miracle people still think Phuket is a world class destination...with pristine beaches and friendly island people.

• Like 2

What a complete tragedy, words cannot express the sadness all will feel at the senselessness of this atrocity.

I've felt for some time that the 'low' season in Phuket is particularly dangerous. The majority of Thais on Phuket are migrants from other provinces, all seeking work in the tourist/service sector. Of course, many lose their work when the tourist numbers start to dwindle, and some turn to petty crime such as housebreaking and snatching.

• Like 1

I noticed a sinister undercurrent in attitudes towards foreigners in Phuket, that, together with the natural degradation and price gouging on the island means my family no longer visits.

Locals appear to believe tourists are easy targets for overcharging and scams. For the cerebrally challenged among them, robbing them with knives must seem a natural progression.

If any good comes of this it will be that fewer people visit until the Thai police and locals start working seriously towards protecting tourist welfare on the island.

• Like 1

oh man, this is not cool,with all the talk about saving face in this country, where's the face in a cowardly act like this? it may not have been Thais, but they were men in Thailand, what the hell is going on here? forget jetski's and scams,this is the stuff tourists are really scared of, being attacked and killed while taking a pleasant walk...dam_n it, after Phi Phi, this one could seal their fate...RIP and condolences to families.

Not according to Thais, listening to 3AW radio streamed from Melbourne they spoke to a spokeswoman from the Phuket hotels association or similar who says that this is an extremely isolated incident and thefts and other crimes in Phuket are very low. They do not believe that an incident such as this will have an impact on tourism.

Yes George and the Thais that keep saying this shit should be locked away for fraud.

RIP the lady victim,

roast in hell the despicable theif / murderer.

" ‘‘It would not be appropriate to discuss the case further while a police investigation is in progress.’’ "

Unusual they are saying nothing. Usually they love to run their mouths.

The word must have come down from above,

deal with this now or you and your staff are toast.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 2