Australian Stabbed In Heart In Thai Bag-Snatch Tragedy

webfact

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is very sad what happened, my deepest condolences to her family and friends.

I’m living in Thailand for 10 years now. Had been in Phuket once, took a van from the airport to Phang Nga,lived at Bang Sak beach and had a fantastic holiday without any problems you had mentioned.

What amazes me is that many people really believe what happens in Phuket or Pattaya happens everywhere else.

The so called holiday paradises are pretty much unreal and also a magnet for all sorts of foreign trash......wai.gif

These moronic posts, start out with the writer telling everyone how long they've been in Thailand. Then go on to say that tourist area #XYZ is not really representative of Thailand, goes on to trash talk about those garbage foreigners, then throws in a cartoon "wai" to show that the writer is not a bad foreigner but one with the Thais.

Back to reality, someone - a foreign travel agent on business in Phuket - was murdered in a popular street near a hotel. The very same day Thai newspapers also reported 5 people gunned down in a a bar in Saraburi. This despicable violence happens everywhere everyday in Thailand, and it's not the "foreign trash" that does it....it's the Thais. But you don't dare call them trash do you? So why you call foreigners trash?

magnet for all sorts of trash

It is very sad what happened, my deepest condolences to her family and friends.

I’m living in Thailand for 10 years now. Had been in Phuket once, took a van from the airport to Phang Nga,lived at Bang Sak beach and had a fantastic holiday without any problems you had mentioned.

What amazes me is that many people really believe what happens in Phuket or Pattaya happens everywhere else.

The so called holiday paradises are pretty much unreal and also a magnet for all sorts of foreign trash......wai.gif

These moronic posts, start out with the writer telling everyone how long they've been in Thailand. Then go on to say that tourist area #XYZ is not really representative of Thailand, goes on to trash talk about those garbage foreigners, then throws in a cartoon "wai" to show that the writer is not a bad foreigner but one with the Thais.

Back to reality, someone - a foreign travel agent on business in Phuket - was murdered in a popular street near a hotel. The very same day Thai newspapers also reported 5 people gunned down in a a bar in Saraburi. This despicable violence happens everywhere everyday in Thailand, and it's not the "foreign trash" that does it....it's the Thais. But you don't dare call them trash do you? So why you call foreigners trash?

Yeah...bet he has a ....shit...what colour shirts do they wear on friday's ??

Post #335 by catweazle

"Talking about declining... Is anyone out there with me when I say (please note that I am not a big Thaksin fan, but...) that Thailand is on a slow, permanent decline as a whole since Thaksin was ousted?"

Thailand has not been colonized by outsiders but internally the rich upperclass and their bureaucrats have colonized the working class. Since Taksin the working class has become more vocal and daring. The power of the upperclass is declining and a transition period has set in.

Thakisn has been back in power since his sister was elected Prime Minister in the General election last year. And as you say. The place is still declining.

RIP, murdered 60 years old Perth Travel Agent.

Its all over the ABC news here. A Perth travel agents are shocked as Phuket is the safest place to travel and this is the first attack in that area.

Safetest place to travel, the first attack in this area.....................Utter bull shit !

Supported by the hotel having hundreds of security cameras including 8 on that very road

Up country, Uttaradit, at a carnival about 5 yrs ago, festival Langshart.

Farang English Teacher standing amongst a large group gets a bottle to the head thrown from the distance.

Reason? wanke_rs, xenophobic toolbags.

I have seen shootups on my front porch, bombings conducted by high school gangs, nordic peados trying to befriend me at BBQ's, a whole village turn their head in ignorance at the discovery of the sexual assult of one of thier own children by one of thier own. strange place to say the least, yes, but we come back. Just gotta live and take it as it comes. ya just gotta do your best, sign of the times in general allthough it's more amplified in Thailand. just opinion.

Re: this reply from Brewster Budgen

Are you serious? Tens of thousands of people enjoy their holidays in Phuket without incidents. Of course people need to take sensible precautions but muggings like this happen in tourist resorts all over the world. Maybe we should boycott them all.

Good grief, this thread is hard to take

I'm afraid you have let your emotions get the better of logical thinking here ; yes, many people enjoy their Phuket holiday without any exposure to crime just as, for example, 99,976 people in Washington DC remained unmurdered in 2008 for every 100,000 people who live there. Does this mean that the city with the worst murder stats in the US has no problem ? You make no suggestions about how things can be improved in Phuket specifically and Thailand generally whereas I have. Sanctions and boycotts are the most practicable and powerful means of change. Just don't go there.

Anyone who goes out to rob someone with the intent of using a knife on the victim should be dealt with severely. A possible prison sentence doesn't sound like enough to me.

There needs to be a punishment that deters others from committing the crime.

As for economic disparity Thailand needs to look at itself to fix that problem. This is the cause of these crimes.

Re: this reply from Brewster Budgen

Are you serious? Tens of thousands of people enjoy their holidays in Phuket without incidents. Of course people need to take sensible precautions but muggings like this happen in tourist resorts all over the world. Maybe we should boycott them all.

Good grief, this thread is hard to take

I'm afraid you have let your emotions get the better of logical thinking here ; yes, many people enjoy their Phuket holiday without any exposure to crime just as, for example, 99,976 people in Washington DC remained unmurdered in 2008 for every 100,000 people who live there. Does this mean that the city with the worst murder stats in the US has no problem ? You make no suggestions about how things can be improved in Phuket specifically and Thailand generally whereas I have. Sanctions and boycotts are the most practicable and powerful means of change. Just don't go there.

I don't claim to know how to improve Phuket or Thailand. But then I don't see Phuket's problem as any different from the problems in other popular tourist destinations around the world. Where there are rich tourists and (relatively) poor locals there will be crime - add in drugs and alcohol, you get serious crime. If there was an easy way to solve the problem perhaps some other places might have already solved it.

Good luck with your boycott though.

Edited by brewsterbudgen

THere was a study a few years back about how Thai judges looked at the degree to which women defended themselves in sex attacks. If they did little in way of resistance, had few bruises to show for it, etc. the offender was more likely to be aquitted. So something western women should be aware of is this 180 degree rotation from they may have been taught, which is to not fight back as it may provoke more violence.

Either way you're screwed. [sorry]

Edited by StarFighter

A good, comprehensive, Australian newspaper article on the terrible incident, highlighting the very extensive travel-experience the victim had throughout her life ->

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/witnesses-tell-of-piercing-screams-of-perth-mum-stabbed-to-death-in-popular-holiday-island-phuket-thailand/story-e6freon6-1226403664513

THere was a study a few years back about how Thai judges looked at the degree to which women defended themselves in sex attacks. If they did little in way of resistance, had few bruises to show for it, etc. the offender was more likely to be aquitted. So something western women should be aware of is this 180 degree rotation from they may have been taught, which is to not fight back as it may provoke more violence.

I watched a show recently about a girl that did a degree or paper or assignment or whatever it was for Uni on rape. She found out that most rapists are following a set path in their mind what they will do, what will happen etc and the girl fighting back to any great degree and taking control is not one of them. So the idea was to disrupt the rapists intended process and thought pattern by fighting back and taking control as much as possible.

This girl got attacked and raped not long after and she put it into practice...the guy said he was going to kill her...she fought back and while she still got raped, she did not get killed and got away with her life.

I have no doubt I would not be taking it lying down and would fight back no matter what......not being raped....being attacked.

I watched a show recently about a girl that did a degree or paper or assignment or whatever it was for Uni on rape. She found out that most rapists are following a set path in their mind what they will do, what will happen etc and the girl fighting back to any great degree and taking control is not one of them. So the idea was to disrupt the rapists intended process and thought pattern by fighting back and taking control as much as possible.

This girl got attacked and raped not long after and she put it into practice...the guy said he was going to kill her...she fought back and while she still got raped, she did not get killed and got away with her life.

I have no doubt I would not be taking it lying down and would fight back no matter what......not being raped....being attacked.

Easy to say while you"|re sitting at a computer and not a knife.

The stupid murdering thieves killed a lady who refused to give her handbag that had NO cash in it.

Thats sad.

Well you know when the economy in Thailand is bad when farang get attacked more frequently.

Australian 60 yr old lady killed and an Australian kickboxer bashed suffers life-threatening injuries both within days is getting a bit much.

It's interestesting that when you type in Google 'Phuket Murders'

the first listing is "Packed Phuket Prison" Something is not right.

As an Australian I am also thinking about an alternative country.

http://www.google.co...f.,cf.osb&cad=b

Edited by LindsayBKK

She posed no threat, it was a robbery gone wrong. They tried to steal her bag, she resisted. The robber fought her off with a knife when she resisted his attempts to steal her bag!

The robber fought her off, are you serious? He was the attacker and she was the victim.

Also, I have seen twice now this term "robbery gone wrong" and even one headline read "bag snatch gone wrong." Is there such a thing as a "robbery gone right."? The term used here implies so.

Now is probably a good time to remind people that the general advise given when confronted by an armed robber, or when outnumbered by robbers, is to not resist. What ever they want it's not worth your life. In no way blaming the victims, but it has been reported that they fought back which was the wrong thing to do and it may have cost this lady her life.

A rapist, on the other hand, you should fight, yell, scream with every ounce of your being.

As despicable as the crime you are stating is, there is a possibility that a violent response could be forthcoming, resulting in a similar outcome as the subject we are discussing here.

True, and it's a decision that one hopes one never has to make. Of course in any type of attack you should do what gives you the best chance to escape harm, or to incur the least amount of harm. When I was a cop fighting back is what was recommended, but I agree that if overpowered and with a gun to your head fighting may not be the best option. There is still lot of debate on what the right thing to do is, but the trend seems to be towards fighting back, as "power rapists" are far more common than "anger rapists." Every woman should take the time to read and understand this: http://www.womenshoo.../wfn/fight.html

More:

"Yell, shout and draw attention to yourself. Attackers usually have an idea of how the attack will happen. Disrupt that idea. Fight like a psychotic cat, and yell loudly and strongly;" - http://voices.yahoo....ists-61306.html

"..immediate and aggressive responses including fighting back are effective. By not resisting rape, women may be putting themselves at greater risk," http://www.lwcbooks...._fightback.html

"the most effective strategy is using physical force." http://www.asafeworl...f-a-rapist.html

"Women threatened with rape should fight back." http://www.independe...ack-370505.html

Staring at a potential attackers face before he attacks will sometimes stop them from carrying out an assault, it makes them feel identifiable and then aprehensive.

I heard a couple of years ago (in Phuket) a girl was being sexually assualted, the offender tried to kiss her, she let him and bit his tounge off, the cops went and picked him up from the hospital once he was finnished.

Easy to say while you"|re sitting at a computer and not a knife.

Been there done that....been at the end of a knife on Sukhumvit road at 3am ish.

Been shot at once and another pointed at once.

Edited by samsiam

Posted Today, 20:43

Bt300,000 bounty set for two assailants who fatally stabbed Australian tourist

image_201206231801291900F3A4-A316-CAC7-21E914077C5EDB2B.jpg

PHUKET, June 23 - Police fast tracked sketching of two assailants who fatally stabbed Australian tourist, as a Bt300,000 bounty has been announced for information leading to the arrest of the two attackers.

Michelle Elizabeim, 60, an Australian tourist, was fatally stabbed during an armed robbery on June 20 in the compound of the Katathani Phuket Beach Resort in Phuket, while her companion, not identified, was severely wounded and remains hospitalised.

Deputy National Police Chief Pol Gen Pansiri Prapawat said the investigation was progressing after gathering information from witnesses and CCTV footage from six cameras around the complex.

Gen Pansiri earlier chaired a meeting with the Commander of the Provincial Police Region 8 Pol Lt Gen Santi Pensutr, Phuket Provincial Commander Pol Maj Gen Chonasit Wattanavrangkul, and representatives from relevant agencies to follow up on the case.

Gen Pansiri said that the two attackers were 20-25 years old and around 170 cm tall. The investigation team was compiling sketches of them in order to publicise the pictures.

He said the Phuket police, Provincial Police Region 8 headquarters, Tourist Police, Highway Police and Marine Police were coordinating to search for the murderers.

The Bt300,000 reward --Bt100,000 each from Commander of the Provincial Police Region 8, Phuket Provincial Commander, and Katathani Phuket Beach Resort-- is offered for information leading to arrest of the two attackers who appeared on CCTV footage that captured the moment of the stabbing.

Gen Pansiri said the incident has affected Thailand's image on tourism so that the agencies concerned --including Phuket police, Provincial Police Region 8 headquarters, Tourist Police, Highway Police and Immigration Bureau--should step up security measures to protect foreign tourists and their belongings.

He said safety was one factor for tourists deciding whether or not to travel to Thailand.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-06-23

footer_n.gif

L.B

PHUKET, June 23 - Police fast tracked sketching of two assailants who fatally stabbed Australian tourist, as a Bt300,000 bounty has been announced for information leading to the arrest of the two attackers.

Michelle Elizabeim, 60, an Australian tourist, was fatally stabbed during an armed robbery on June 20 in the compound of the Katathani Phuket Beach Resort in Phuket, while her companion, not identified, was severely wounded and remains hospitalised.

Deputy National Police Chief Pol Gen Pansiri Prapawat said the investigation was progressing after gathering information from witnesses and CCTV footage from six cameras around the complex.

Gen Pansiri earlier chaired a meeting with the Commander of the Provincial Police Region 8 Pol Lt Gen Santi Pensutr, Phuket Provincial Commander Pol Maj Gen Chonasit Wattanavrangkul, and representatives from relevant agencies to follow up on the case.

Gen Pansiri said that the two attackers were 20-25 years old and around 170 cm tall. The investigation team was compiling sketches of them in order to publicise the pictures.

He said the Phuket police, Provincial Police Region 8 headquarters, Tourist Police, Highway Police and Marine Police were coordinating to search for the murderers.

The Bt300,000 reward --Bt100,000 each from Commander of the Provincial Police Region 8, Phuket Provincial Commander, and Katathani Phuket Beach Resort-- is offered for information leading to arrest of the two attackers who appeared on CCTV footage that captured the moment of the stabbing.

Gen Pansiri said the incident has affected Thailand's image on tourism so that the agencies concerned --including Phuket police, Provincial Police Region 8 headquarters, Tourist Police, Highway Police and Immigration Bureau--should step up security measures to protect foreign tourists and their belongings.

He said safety was one factor for tourists deciding whether or not to travel to Thailand.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-06-23

footer_n.gif

L.B

Hopefully the reward might bring out the bounty hunters. B300,000 is quite a pile to most Thais. I hope they get the bastards.

The disconcerting aspect is, the article makes it appear as if they offered up reward and are merely attempting to catch the perpetrators because:

"the incident has affected Thailand's image on tourism so that the agencies concerned . . ."

Tourism dollars more important than life. I am assuming but for bad publicity and perhaps because this group was travel agents, no reward would be offered and they might catch them if the guys felt guilty and turned themselves in one day.

A life is a life. They should do the right thing to stop murders and catch perpetrators regardless as to whether "the incident has affected Thailand's image on tourism so that the agencies concerned . . ."

They need to hire me as their agent/lawyer to tell them what to say or to keep them from having to speak because they not so bright . . . Is it so difficult to realize sounds better to say:

"We are all deeply troubled by this incident and have a firm resolve to do what ever is necessary to catch the perpetrators and bring them to justice. We, therefore, are offering a reward of 300,000 baht."

Edited by ttelise
  • Like 1

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-06-23

footer_n.gif

L.B

Hopefully the reward might bring out the bounty hunters. B300,000 is quite a pile to most Thais. I hope they get the bastards.

It could, I hope it does, but it could also go very bad very quickly.

Gen Pansiri said the incident has affected Thailand's image on tourism so that the agencies concerned --including Phuket police, Provincial Police Region 8 headquarters, Tourist Police, Highway Police and Immigration Bureau

The saddest part is that the only reason for the reward or them actually doing anything is because the story made international headlines.

how many domestic crimes as well as crimes on tourists do not make the headlines and do not get rewards or justice.

oh man, this is not cool,with all the talk about saving face in this country, where's the face in a cowardly act like this? it may not have been Thais, but they were men in Thailand, what the hell is going on here? forget jetski's and scams,this is the stuff tourists are really scared of, being attacked and killed while taking a pleasant walk...dam_n it, after Phi Phi, this one could seal their fate...RIP and condolences to families.

Not according to Thais, listening to 3AW radio streamed from Melbourne they spoke to a spokeswoman from the Phuket hotels association or similar who says that this is an extremely isolated incident and thefts and other crimes in Phuket are very low. They do not believe that an incident such as this will have an impact on tourism.

They have a user feedback page for the news item,

http://www.3aw.com.a...0621-20p5p.html

Very sad way for someones life to end.

Worth reading the public comments to that article.

I also live in Thailand (Kananchaburi) and this is not an isolated incident. This is the 6th death of a tourist this week, 2 Canadian girls on Phi Phi Island on Sunday, a British and American in Phuket on Tuesday and a German woman in Nakon Sawon yesterday all in suspicious cercumstances and nothing out of the ordinary for tourists. Thailand can be extremely dangerous for foreigners who let thier gaurd down especially in the tourist areas.

Roy - Kananchaburi Thursday 21 June, 2012 - 10:18 AM

Edited by MJP