Adsl In Bkk: A "true" Pain In The A.s.s.

AsiaWolfie

does anyone in BANGKOK (please NOT Chiang Mai or Hat Yai, as the conditions might be different there) have experience with ADSL-providers other than TRUE ?

I am considering to change my provider, cause it affects my daily work a lot to be not able to down- and upload with more than 10-12 KB a second.

I have the basic PACk at 599 Baht a month, but I am not sure if it would make sense to choose the more expensive options.... if you have a fast car, but the road is jammed, it doesnt help u much.....

what about KSC and the other smaller companies ? are they any good ? and how much is their monthly package ? do they block websites from other countries ?

any hints or shared experiences would be very much appreciated

I'm not in Bangkok myself, but based on the 20+ people with broadband I know in Bangkok, TRUE, despite all their faults, still seems to be one of the better choices.

It also seems to be true that your particular area within greater Bangkok has a large impact on what speeds you get as well. It is said that the best area for highspeed internet is Muang Thong Thani where amongst others the KSC headquarters are situated.

The other ISP I hear relatively good reports about, apart from TRUE (where the reports vary greatly) is Loxinfo. If you are into BitTorrent it might be good to know that they cap BitTorrent during daytime and let it run at full blast at night. This is also stated from the company itself.

I dont know about KSC. The reports about good speeds in Muang Thong Thani come from a Ji-net user (512/256) - who gets those actual speeds consistently throughout the day. No idea what Ji-Net are like outside of that though.

I am in Bkk and have not heard of any provider that is better than TRUE. It depends a lot on your phoneline quality too remember. So - there are no guarentees swapping to another provider. It all seems so hit and miss these days.

I'll be following this thread closely - sick to death of True myself.

Anybody ever tried doing a "traceroute" when connected (any server)? Try it, then ask yourself "where the fxxx are those packets going???"

Will post the results when I get home tonight.

I'm in Pathum Thani, got KSC.

NOT cheap (1900 per month for 512/256) but seems that you get what you pay for. Stops occasionally, maybe once a month but always comes back on a short call to customer service and a reboot of the router.

I even get the full 512 download speed on BitTorrent, the default ports are blocked but it's a 1 minute fix.

Unfortunately, if you do a quick search of the forum will reveal positive comments for each and every provider.

I work on the internet all day long from bangkok. I am connected via TRUE and TOT phone line. I have upgraded to the 800 baht package and the speed seems fine to me. I even use vonage and rarely have any connection problems.

You might want to try upgrading. Its worth the extra $5 a month...

I work on the internet all day long from bangkok. I am connected via TRUE and TOT phone line. I have upgraded to the 800 baht package and the speed seems fine to me. I even use vonage and rarely have any connection problems.

You might want to try upgrading. Its worth the extra $5 a month...

same here

a friend told me to apply for the 1230 baht package, he did that and has no pbms

i did the same, have been using it for 2 months now and i am happily telling all my friends how fast and easy broadband in Bkk is (i am usually known for complaining about everything)

using it about 15 hours/day

do they block websites from other countries ?

I'm evaluating to follow my online business from Thailand. Exactly from Phuket Island.

The hosting server where is located my website is not in Thailand.

Is it possible that the provider share my traffic data with authorities to check my work? :o

Is it possible to discover and avoid that in advance?

Have you got (or listened about) bad experiences with ADSL services in Phuket Island?

Does it work well?

I'm using the 1Mb True package and I think it's complete wank. I'm based around BKK On Nut...

Is that mean good? Im thinking to get the 4mbps. Im gonna move to a new apartment called phrong pong. I know the apartment catered with 1mbps. If i cant upload any torrent , im gonna subscribed to TRUE.

I'm using the 1Mb True package and I think it's complete wank. I'm based around BKK On Nut...

Is that mean good? Im thinking to get the 4mbps. Im gonna move to a new apartment called phrong pong. I know the apartment catered with 1mbps. If i cant upload any torrent , im gonna subscribed to TRUE.

Wank = Generally means bad. Very bad.

I'll do that traceroute tonight and post the results on here.

When I get back I am going to get ADSL since I have a TOT phone line would I get the best results from them??????

Make sure you do not buy the modem they are selling to compliment ADSL.

If they ask or tell you to buy theirs tell them you already have a modem that is o.k. for this.

They told me this and took 1,200 baht off me, everytime i opened my computer it was spam infected.

I talked to my local comp. supplier and he said it needed to be a good quality one and theirs wasn,t able to filter all the gates the open with broadband. ( that was a basic explanation for my non tech. brain )

He recommended " Linksys " ADSL2 Gateway witha 4-port switch.

Several of his customers had the same problem so he was already aware, and had fitted the above for them.

Fortunately i was friendly with someone at the local TOT office and the told me to put it back into the packing it came in and take it back with an explaination of the problems.

I got my full refund including the Vat i paid.

Credit where it,s due and again proves a bit of civility goes a long way.

marshbags :o:D:D

I had True when I lived in BKK and I wish I still had it. I moved to Rangsit about a year ago and the only option in my area is TOT. I must say that True is far better than TOT hopes to be. At some point each day the internet comes to a crawl. Friday evening about 7PM I could get no connection at all. Called TOT at 9PM. "Sorry, there is a small problem but you can use in two hours." 2-hours later, nothing. Saturday 8AM. Still no connection. Called at 9AM. After 40-minutes of telling the receptionist the problem, uninstalling the driver and reinstalling the darned thing, trying everything from A-Z to gt it working, he finally calls his supervisor who reports that the Rangsit area is still experiencing difficulties, but it will be on by 1PM. Right! 3PM, no internet. Finally at 8PM it is working, though slow. That was well over 24-hours that they couldn't account for. TOT is nothing short of a total rip-off as far as I'm concerned.

I had True when I lived in BKK and I wish I still had it. I moved to Rangsit about a year ago and the only option in my area is TOT. I must say that True is far better than TOT hopes to be. At some point each day the internet comes to a crawl. Friday evening about 7PM I could get no connection at all. Called TOT at 9PM. "Sorry, there is a small problem but you can use in two hours." 2-hours later, nothing. Saturday 8AM. Still no connection. Called at 9AM. After 40-minutes of telling the receptionist the problem, uninstalling the driver and reinstalling the darned thing, trying everything from A-Z to gt it working, he finally calls his supervisor who reports that the Rangsit area is still experiencing difficulties, but it will be on by 1PM. Right! 3PM, no internet. Finally at 8PM it is working, though slow. That was well over 24-hours that they couldn't account for. TOT is nothing short of a total rip-off as far as I'm concerned.

In Italy i have had the same problem with the modem of "Alice" the telecom italia provider, i solved it buying (with my funds) an ADSL router, a ZyXEL PRESTIGE (600 series), suggested from a sysman, it works fine and protect you from many things.. I never turn it off.

I'm using it from november 2005 and it works very very very fine! :D

I paid 85 euro (included my friend help for the configuration, not difficult but i'm not an expert of these things).

Is it possible for a tourist, not a resident, subscribing an ADSL service contract with TRUE in Phuket?

What kind of requirements are necessary for a 6 months/one year basic contract? :o

Is it available in thailand a satellite service for internet? UMTS? :D

Edited by bolognamare

Hello guys, have been reading this thread with interest. We are going to open office in BKK and need an area with top internet connectivity, possibly cable or even better (up to 20 comps connecting to the internet simultaneously). Is anyone aware of an area in BKK where good cable internet access is available and / or what provider to use.

We could use a number of phone lines coming in on ADSL but that would be expansive and still a bit slow.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Thank you in advance

shedman - TRUE were offering a special package if you are willing to pay

http://www.komchadluek.net/breaking/read.p...en&newsid=52375

I think the price is now about 6000/month for this service (the article is rather old)

Otherwise TRUE has a few business packages that are quite good starting from around 2500 baht a month

Thank you very much, just had a look and found that they charge 57,000 so may be a little out of our range but I will contact them about their business plands.

Are there any areas in BKK that have beeter lines etc. ?

We have not rented any office space yet so we would rent wherever the best internet is so to speak.

Thank you once again.

have a great day

Is it possible for a tourist, not a resident, subscribing an ADSL service contract with TRUE in Phuket?

What kind of requirements are necessary for a 6 months/one year basic contract?

Is it available in thailand a satellite service for internet? UMTS?

1)no way for use true adsl in phuket,also for resident,my experience say cannot

3)i dont'know about umts,but i know about ipstar can use but still get problem manytime,you can find this in phuket town,ipstar csloxinfo :o

• 2 weeks later...

[...] i dont' know about umts, but i know about ipstar can use but still get problem manytime,you can find this in phuket town, ipstar csloxinfo

I made researches about PHUKET:

True doesn't offer ADSL service in Phuket!

1. With a TOT phone line, you can use only the TOT ADSL that costs around 1000 baht/month (1mbit); :D

2. With TT&T phone line, you can use the TT&T ADSL (more expensive than TOT one) or the CAT ADSL (2 Mbit for 1000 baht/month : from the price/service relation it" seems" the best offer); :D

3. With CAT phone line you can use only the CAT ADSL (it's the more expensive solution, i don't know the reason.) :D

To obtain a phone line it is necessary a work permit (cannot be done as a tourist), so it's possible only:

1. to link the phone to your company (if you have one); :D

2. to link the phone to a thay (in this case your suggestions could be useful for everyone, i have not experience in these things arranged with thais); :o

3. better to find a place with the TT&T phone line yet installed (under the name of the thai owner), and ask to the owner to subscribe for you an ADSL CAT service (don't know the time necessary to do that, simple things in Los can become so difficult to solve.. so if the place has yet the CAT ADSL too, well tell me something because i'm still looking for this solution for the next summer, for 2 months, and at a reasonable price, better if in Patong or Karon..). :D

You can avoid the work permit requirement (i suppose) and the first 3 points with a GPRS mobile phone (40 Kbps the maximum speed if the ISP is not saturated, DTAC offers unlimited traffic for 1250/month, activable in few hours, without cable problems, but slower than ADSL (115 Kbps).

Once you have bought the sim card it's enough a GPRS mobile phone with the link cable for your PC, or better (if you can afford an expense of 200 euro, or less) you can use a radio modem. :D

I think the 4th path is the best one, i haven't still found a MAP with the GPRS coverage area.

I'm looking too if exists an UMTS service, if you guys from Phuket have a UMTS mobile phone, you can check if you see on your phone 3G (it means that UMTS is available where you are), if you see 1G or 2G (means different GPRS) and you could post the results of course.. :D

It could be very nice and appreciated if someone could post his real experience in Phuket (and not only). :D

Edited by bolognamare

I have had the True Bt1,230 per month for 18 months and it has been fine. However, today I got redirected to a True site and was asked to register a user name and password. I did as requested and now I can't use my True ADSL at all. Luckily, my neighbour has an unprotected wireless network that I use when True goes wrong. No doubt in the next few days, everyone will have the same problem with True and they'll sort it out - useless idiots - no idea of customer service.

Oh, by the way, don't bother trying to call their customers services. I have never succeeded in talking to anyone.

[...] i haven't still found a MAP with the GPRS coverage area.

I'm looking too if exists an UMTS service [...]

I've found the thailand GPRS Dtac service map but it is in thai language :D : http://www.dtac.co.th/en/mapnetwork/network.aspx

Can you help me to understand the meaning of the colours, specially the red colour? :D

Are you so gentle to translate the UMTS = 3G basics of : http://www.dtac.co.th/edge/edgeindex.html you could be real helpful!

What does the map refers to? the 3G coverage area of BKK?

Does it exist a website that translates thai language/websites in english (and vice versa)? :o

Edited by bolognamare