Two-timing Husbands Foiled By Cheat-proof Marriage

george

Two-timing husbands foiled by cheat-proof marriage registrations

BANGKOK: -- Two-timers -- already married men who marry again -- will be blocked from deceiving women into additional marriages by new registration recommendations by a Thammasat University researcher.

Marriage registrations should be allowed only in the home town of either the husband or the wife, said an academic from Thammasat's Faculty of Law, and the registrar should be held accountable for making sure that no party has ever registered before.

The two measures are recommended as deterrents against the current rampant duplication of marriage registration as practiced by Thai men.

Asst. Prof. Mataluck Or-rungroj of Thammasat University's Faculty of Law was commissioned by the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security to research discrimination against women --to assist in drafting a new law that will give equal rights and opportunities to women.

In the final report of her research, she proposed to resolve the problem of already-married Thai men luring other women by registering new marriages, usually in different localities.

First, the researcher said, the registrar must check the data of both men and women applying for marriage registration -- to make sure that neither party was married legally before. Failure to conduct thorough check would be deemed the offence of dereliction of duty on the registrar's part.

Secondly, she recommended that marriage registrations be allowed only in the home locality of either the man or the woman, instead of anywhere -- as is the case right now -- which leads to duplication.

Thirdly, a minimum period of residency in certain locality must be clarified by the law before a man is allowed to register the marriage, otherwise some men can just keep moving home and registering a marriage wherever they move to, said Dr. Mataluck.

Kingkaew Inwang, Deputy Director of the Women's Affairs and Family Development Office of the Ministry, said the Office has received Dr. Mataluck's final research report and agreed with the overall fndings.

However, implementation of the researcher's recommendations or not is subject to detailed consideration, and depends upon the outcome of that process, Mrs. Kingkaew said.

--TNA 2006-01-09

BANGKOK: -- Two-timers -- already married men who marry again -- will be blocked from deceiving women into additional marriages by new registration recommendations by a Thammasat University researcher.

Marriage registrations should be allowed only in the home town of either the husband or the wife, said an academic from Thammasat's Faculty of Law, and the registrar should be held accountable for making sure that no party has ever registered before.

The two measures are recommended as deterrents against the current rampant duplication of marriage registration as practiced by Thai men.

Asst. Prof. Mataluck Or-rungroj of Thammasat University's Faculty of Law was commissioned by the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security to research discrimination against women --to assist in drafting a new law that will give equal rights and opportunities to women.

In the final report of her research, she proposed to resolve the problem of already-married Thai men luring other women by registering new marriages, usually in different localities.

First, the researcher said, the registrar must check the data of both men and women applying for marriage registration -- to make sure that neither party was married legally before. Failure to conduct thorough check would be deemed the offence of dereliction of duty on the registrar's part.

Secondly, she recommended that marriage registrations be allowed only in the home locality of either the man or the woman, instead of anywhere -- as is the case right now -- which leads to duplication.

Thirdly, a minimum period of residency in certain locality must be clarified by the law before a man is allowed to register the marriage, otherwise some men can just keep moving home and registering a marriage wherever they move to, said Dr. Mataluck.

Kingkaew Inwang, Deputy Director of the Women's Affairs and Family Development Office of the Ministry, said the Office has received Dr. Mataluck's final research report and agreed with the overall fndings.

However, implementation of the researcher's recommendations or not is subject to detailed consideration, and depends upon the outcome of that process, Mrs. Kingkaew said.

--TNA 2006-01-09

Wouldn't it just be simpler to have a computerised system?!

What a sexisit recommendation. No wonder women have no power in Thailand.

I like the way she pinned this on the men.

You don't suppose there are any girls down in places like Pattaya doing the same thing to love sick farangs?

I'm sure there are pleanty of 2 timing women running around Thailand as well.

I don't think this sexist recommendation will get passed into law until she takes out the sexist remarks. Then the law will be equal to both men and women.

Did I mention how sexist this sounds. :o

Unofficial "Mai Noi" are very common and this new move will not affect these

relationships one iota.

From what I have seen many Thai's just do not worry about the government

marriage certificate at all. The Buddhist ceremony is much more important

and that does not need government sanction.

According to the article, she was commissioned by the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security to research discrimination against women --to assist in drafting a new law that will give equal rights and opportunities to women.

I think she strayed a bit of topic. :o

I reckon a lot of local registrars will be quitting their jobs soon. Or, mayb ethey will see it as a way of making more under the table cash in hand !! More risk = higher baksheesh or tea money as it's called here.

But what a serious waste of money to pay a Uni researcher to come up with this recomendation........I assume it was a woman......that puts ethical doubts in mind right away.......and the actual recomendation is at best lacking any vision.

I think you will find the esteemed researcher has spent time in the west getting the qualifications and attitude adjustment that come from "liberal arts" study in popular institutions.

It sounds just like the research and sugestions that eminate from the "wimmins study" networks. In Oz we have whole government departments that have nothing better to do than pay someone else to create the research that agrees with their ideology.

Let us hope this person is not alowed to spread this poison.

--TNA 2006-01-09

hahaha, and they call this "cheat proof"...

hahahahahahahahahahaha

So exactly what are most of you whining about? What is unreasonable about this proposal? Why not spell it out instead of attacking the woman (hey it’s a woman, why is she educated in the first place right, is that what you are thinking?) who came up this idea?

Maybe you can get married a few times more before a idea like this becomes law, get on it.

So exactly what are most of you whining about? What is unreasonable about this proposal? Why not spell it out instead of attacking the woman (hey it’s a woman, why is she educated in the first place right, is that what you are thinking?) who came up this idea?

Maybe you can get married a few times more before a idea like this becomes law, get on it.

I did spell it out (you don't read very well).

Women in Thailand are guilty of this too. It is a sexist proposal. Take out the sexist remarks and make it equal for men and women.

If not, its a joke and male lawmakers will not take it seriously.

I already know its a woman who came up with this idea and my comments have nothing to do with her education (although I am starting to wonder about yours).

Why not add it also wants to protect men from women from Pattaya or Phuket doing the same thing to love struck men from the west.

They come here for a vacation and fall in love with a girl. The girl seems completly in love with the man but little does he know that in her province in another part of Thailand she is married with a family. She also has boyfriends from 4 different countries sending her money every month.

This too is a common pratice in Thailand because the women who work in these areas come from all over Thailand.

My point is, take out the reference to gender and the proposal will pass. Keep them in and the University that hired the independent researcher will have wasted their money on a law that will never get passed by a body of law makers who are by majority men.