Cover Up? Australian Kickboxer 'Savagely Bashed In Phuket'

webfact

Look at this guys body, no marks at all. How do you attack a person thats a champion kick boxer and only hit him on the head and right arm without leaving a mark on his body. No way!!! Let's wait and see on this one.

• Like 1

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If the police file this claim an assault, that would mean it would go into their record as an unsolved case leaving a blot on their record, or as a case they have to investigate, which apparently the police do not want to do. As people have clearly pointed out, crash injuries are not consistent with the injuries on this man, but everyone can see that except for the police. The question is, why are the police neglecting to assign this case to the proper procedures for assault and attempted murder?

Secondary issue.......what's this Facebook fund all about? Was this guy in Thailand without travel insurance?????

I'm not judging him as I can't deduce if he was or not, however anyone traveling to Thailand without insurance is a nutter.

Perhaps you didn't read:

Mr Ketley has lived in Phuket with his parents for the past three years and is a full-time muay thai boxer training with the Sumalee Boxing Gym in Thalang.

But he should have had accident insurance. It's very inexpensive from local banks...

And very limited . . . TiT. Besides which, it seems doubtful it was an accident.

Doesn't really matter either way, officially it is an accident, so accident insurance will cover. Not a good idea to substitute health insurance with accident insurance, but that is a different discussion.

Weird...........

The embassies need to get their act together and force the Thai police and authorities to protect their citizens.

The Embassies in Thailand are as much use as chocolate teapots.

How do you propose they do that?

Travelers have the option of not going. There are cautions given on all of the embassy travel info pages.

Even in times of armed conflict, there are people that still insist on going into the danger zone. Remember when the PAD folks were threatening the airports? People were still flying in. Remember the excitement in Bangkok, complete with live ordinance? People were still flying in. One has to be a comletely clueless twit not to be aware of the dangers in Thailand. It is the responsibility of a traveler to check out his/her destination. There is an inventory of dangers. Google Dangers of Thailand and you get some shocking stories.

In the absence of state sanctioned crimes, there is absolutely nothing substantive a foreign government can do. They are reduced to responding in the event of a tragedy. I appreciate that the carnage on the roadways is bad, but Perth cannot send traffic police to clean up the mess. I appreciate that muggings are bad, but Chicago with multiple driveby murders doesn't have the police to spare to help out Thailand. Foreign governments cannot impose their will on a sovereign country that is compliant with international law.

I think you are missing the point, which is that Phuket is threatening to drown in a surge of tourist related incidents and scams, and the embassies are indeed expected to get involved. So far, little seems to have been achieved, other than the normal quota of theoretical promises of action.

If the police file this claim an assault, that would mean it would go into their record as an unsolved case leaving a blot on their record, or as a case they have to investigate, which apparently the police do not want to do. As people have clearly pointed out, crash injuries are not consistent with the injuries on this man, but everyone can see that except for the police. The question is, why are the police neglecting to assign this case to the proper procedures for assault and attempted murder?

I think you answered your own question. No revenue either way. Better to stand at the Chalong circle and collect money from foreigners with no helmets, easy peasy.

And very limited . . . TiT. Besides which, it seems doubtful it was an accident.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Doesn't really matter either way, officially it is an accident, so accident insurance will cover. Not a good idea to substitute health insurance with accident insurance, but that is a different discussion.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Too many blocks . . . again! So . . .

Unless they are satisfied as to the nature of the'accident', the insurance company might well refuse to pay. In any case, accident insurance is designed to pay a lump sum in the event of a claim; health insurance would address the hospital treatment costs.

Edited by JohnAllan

Pretty sure the BiB dont care about "blots" on their record...they are calling this an accident as its the easy way out...actually investigating possible crimes get in the way of their real jobs....collecting tea money...after all they have pay back all the money it cost them to get into police college...

Two years ago whilst on my Honda Phantom and doing no more than 40 cliks an hour a young calf ran out of a field and took me out followed by another calf , my bike was a mess broken lights mudguards and mirrors . My injuries thankfully were only minor with a lot of skin abrasions and very heavy bruising to my hand, arms, legs and backside, never the less I have permanant scars to remind me of the accident and yes I was wearing a crash helmet. From reading the injuries sustained by this young man I would be surprised if it were all caused by a bike accident . I hope the young fella is well on the road to recovery.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unless they are satisfied as to the nature of the'accident', the insurance company might well refuse to pay. In any case, accident insurance is designed to pay a lump sum in the event of a claim; health insurance would address the hospital treatment costs.

Of course they have to pay and will pay. The police report stating 'accident' will be sufficient for that. But this really is off topic.

Edited by stevenl

No way he been in a bike crash ...

A while ago, I had a motorbike crash without helmet and my face looked exactly like this. Same for a friend of mine who looked like she had been punched in the face big time.

In my case, no bones broken, but still no clue what happened, just remember driving and woke up in hospital. Bike had only minor damage in the front, and the rest of my body was intact except a few scratches on my feet.

I mean, by the picture and the details given, it's impossible to rule out a motorbike accident. True that the life and activities of the victim here in LOS make him a possible target, and if his parents are convinced of foul play they probably have some information's undisclosed in the press release.

About insurance, a lot of people are unaware that travel coverage is not valid anymore after three months abroad. Plus, many exclude motorbike accidents in places like Thailand due to the high risk. I pay an "extra" to my expat health premium to be covered for this kind of situations.

Also, not many people know that the minimal mandatory insurance for motorbikes here does include coverage between 35 and 100k for personal injury, depending of the company you subscribe to. In one occasion I got reimbursed of 14k just showing the (paid) invoice from the hospital, the police report and a letter from the doctor.

• Like 1

Call me cynical but "The Facebook group raising funds for the medical treatment and generating support for Mr Ketley was started on Monday, and as of today has already raised 121,000 baht" would probably stand at 0 zero baht if the story was some pissed-up kid comes off motorbike! whistling.gif

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

As long as Thailand continues its unabashed whorery and remains brothel to the world, I doubt it will ever be forced to clean up its ways. Sex sells and most men will do just about anything, including putting up with ridiculous, unfair rules against " farang" so as to maintain access to sex. They know it, too.

Thailand better get its shit together soon or they will be facing empty rooms this coming high season. 60 year old women getting stabbed to death and kickboxers getting bashed in and then collusion by police to cover it up do not bode well with travel agents. Too many other nice places around, peple will take the alternative....

Call me cynical but "The Facebook group raising funds for the medical treatment and generating support for Mr Ketley was started on Monday, and as of today has already raised 121,000 baht" would probably stand at 0 zero baht if the story was some pissed-up kid comes off motorbike! whistling.gif

RAZZ

Apparently he did not drink, but agree with the main message you're giving here. Did not think of that part of the story yet.

Edited by stevenl

If the truth be told, it's not anybodies business if he had travel insurance or not. That's not what this news article is all about. But I guess it's good for the count!

Edited by Lifer

i hate to say this, and people can pick this apart all that they want, but it's been over-emphasized that he is a prize winning muay thai fighter. motorbike accident turned to publicity stunt? i wouldn't put it past any muay thai fighter that comes here ...

Or like most visiting Muay Thai fighters, he's got a big mouth, a cocky attitude, and he pissed off the wrong people at the wrong time and they got back at him.

• Like 1

Of course they have to pay and will pay. The police report stating 'accident' will be sufficient for that. But this really is off topic.

It is an extension of the topic. And you obviously are not very clued-up on the insurance industry. Yes, we are in Thailand, but an insurance company is still an insurance company. There is no 'have to pay' about it, unless and until, they are satisfied. The fact remains that he seemingly wasn't covered, so there will be no dispute with any insurance company.

Edited by JohnAllan

it depends upon which news source you are getting this story from, as his parents claim he was left for dead, while the police believe he had a motorbike accident. the supposed place he was assaulted is well-lit and busy - there's a club, a few restaurants and a row of girlie bars. i believe if he was bashed about and left for dead, someone would've seen it.

i hate to say this, and people can pick this apart all that they want, but it's been over-emphasized that he is a prize winning muay thai fighter. motorbike accident turned to publicity stunt? i wouldn't put it past any muay thai fighter that comes here ...

Wake up to yourself. Have a look at the picture of him in his hostpital bed. Do you see scrapes and abrasions all over his body that would be consistant with a motorbike accident. All the trauma is in and around his head. The prime target for any bashing. Your post is a failure. 1zgarz5.gif

It's a failure because???? i wasn't discrediting anything, just stating what i had read. you "wake up to yourself" and do spell check to make sure you grammar is correct.

Bahaha! Good come back. The spell check thing I mean. The come back one uses when one has no comeback. Don't forget that English is not everybody's first language.

Now I wish to bring your attention to you posting " i hate to say this, and people can pick this apart all that they want " So i took the liberty to do so.

It is a failure because as I put it before, Do you see scrapes and abrasions all over his body that would be consistant with a motorbike accident ?

Furthermore, reference your ridiculous statement that it maybe a publicity stunt. PLEASE!! Does this poor guy look like he is in any state to try or even think of making a publicity stunt out of this incident considering his injuries. Once again. Fail. wink.png

Oh dear the English Nazi's have just woken up !!!

Yes miss...he will write his spelling mistakes out 100 times....

*Nazis.

Your apostrophe implies possession of some kind.

(I seriously couldn't help myself. It's a disease I swear!) biggrin.png

-------

Joking aside, the reason there is speculation, be it wild or baseless, is that we live in a country where stranger things have happened and stranger things happen fairly frequently.

When you know there's cover-ups and corruption at every level of authority it makes it easy to have that assumption. That is what is happening here.

Thailand, more specifically Phuket, has form in this kind of thing.

Lastly, can we stop all the medical diagnoses? You're not qualified (unless you actually are) and I would have thought you'd need to see the patient in person to properly ascertain what his injuries are consistent with.

No road rash does not mean he wasn't in a road accident. You can damage your head quite badly at extremely slow speeds, even motionless. However, I am not a doctor and have no clue what his injuries mean or how they could have come about.

The only professional (used loosely) opinion there seems to be is this. Taken from the Gold Coast website:

"Despite the family's belief that their son was bashed, emergency authorities were sure Daniel's injuries fitted those of an accident.

'The people at the hospital and the police are saying the injuries are more consistent with running into a pole than being attacked,' he said.

'They also say it was right outside a bar in a pretty popular spot where you wouldn't normally see an assault, and the guy can't remember a thing.'

A blood-alcohol reading showed Daniel was sober at the time of the incident."

The conspiracy theorists will say the hospital staff are part of the cover-up too, I suspect.

Oh well. Expect never to find out what happened, it's a common theme here.

Speedy recovery there mate. You're lucky to still be with us.

Edited by ManInSurat
  • Like 1

It is a failure because as I put it before, Do you see scrapes and abrasions all over his body that would be consistant with a motorbike accident ?

It is easily possible to have a motorbike accident without the scrapes and bruises over the whole body. It can be very localised, like face and skull, see examples given here by others. I don't know what exactly happened, but the presumption 'no roadrash so no accident so a beatup' is ludicrous.

• Like 2

it depends upon which news source you are getting this story from, as his parents claim he was left for dead, while the police believe he had a motorbike accident. the supposed place he was assaulted is well-lit and busy - there's a club, a few restaurants and a row of girlie bars. i believe if he was bashed about and left for dead, someone would've seen it.

Wake up to yourself. Have a look at the picture of him in his hostpital bed. Do you see scrapes and abrasions all over his body that would be consistant with a motorbike accident. All the trauma is in and around his head. The prime target for any bashing. Your post is a failure. 1zgarz5.gif

It's a failure because???? i wasn't discrediting anything, just stating what i had read. you "wake up to yourself" and do spell check to make sure you grammar is correct.

Oh dear the English Nazi's have just woken up !!!whistling.gif

Yes miss...he will write his spelling mistakes out 100 times....whistling.gif

thumbsup.gif

Ok very simple. Let's see the motorcycle.

If he did crash it should be evident on the bike.

Another aspect may be his moving around across gyms, and his 8 of 9 winning record.

Gyms can be rather proprietary and think anyone leaving for a rival gym is a traitor.

Or he is beginning to threaten a local influential's pet fighter / meal ticket,

or he wouldn't take a dive in a particular fight.

What does his fight card look like, who has he beaten? Who's coming up?

Can't rule out mafia action, financial/gamboling motives or jealousies.

A strong 'power' behind another fighter could also

have police ties at high enough level to quash the facts.

TIT.

Finally common sense.

I couldn't believe the number of posters who didn't think it was important to look at the motorbike.

That is not to say that was the cause of his injuries but would be a definite tip off if there was no damage to it.

As for the rest of your reasons makes sense to me. A fighter of his skills getting beaten like that would in all likely hood have been preplanned by people capable of doing it.

I agree, he's talking crap I'm afraid. My wife was the victim of a bag snatcher and fell face first (no crash helmet) and looked very much like a panda for several weeks. As someone else mentioned the bike will have very clear evidence of being crashed. Having ridden bikes almost daily for the 32 years I have had a few crashes and even the most minor resulted in some scratches.

• Like 1

It is easily possible to have a motorbike accident without the scrapes and bruises over the whole body. It can be very localised, like face and skull, see examples given here by others. I don't know what exactly happened, but the presumption 'no roadrash so no accident so a beatup' is ludicrous.

Yes. I see that some posters are of the same opinion as yourself. And I guess anything is possible. But to add weight to mine and many others point of view is right there in the OP. Even the doctors that treated him believe that the injuries are not from a motorbike accident. I did read another particularly interesting post / observation by another member about the markings on his neck. As if he had been head locked or his shirt and been ripped up around his neck.

Yeah, the bike should be a telltale. But that can also be fabricated quite easily after the event. A good inspection of the tarmac where he is supposed to have come off the bike should provide evidence. And as pointed out, where is the road rash? He should be barked up, nobody comes off a bike here without donating skin to the road; hands, elbows, knees, hips.

If there were witnesses to a brutal attack, they would not necessarily be coming forward and saying so.

Yes. I see that some posters are of the same opinion as yourself. And I guess anything is possible. But to add weight to mine and many others point of view is right there in the OP. Even the doctors that treated him believe that the injuries are not from a motorbike accident. I did read another particularly interesting post / observation by another member about the markings on his neck. As if he had been head locked or his shirt and been ripped up around his neck.

Er, what?

"The people at the hospital and the police are saying the injuries are more consistent with running into a pole than being attacked," he said.

From the OP and a source linked. Maybe time to get the reading glasses on?

No one can diagnose what happened to this man from a photo on a forum. It'd be curlish to do so. I doubt even one of us is qualified and you'd need to see him in person to really know.

Just show the bike already. Formerly working in claims I could give a qualified opinion on that.

***EDIT: Ah I see it now. From the OP.

"and doctors all believe Mr Ketley was bashed"

Well the medical staff that are treating him now. Apparently not the ones that met him first. Two conflicting arguments in the OP and the Gold Coast article.

I'd still take the direct quote from his Dad though from the Gold Coast article which says emergency workers did say his injuries were consistent with an accident.

The comment in the OP is just the OP's opinion from the way it's written and in context.

Edited by ManInSurat

Bahaha! Good come back. The spell check thing I mean. The come back one uses when one has no comeback. Don't forget that English is not everybody's first language.

Now I wish to bring your attention to you posting " i hate to say this, and people can pick this apart all that they want " So i took the liberty to do so.

Furthermore, reference your ridiculous statement that it maybe a publicity stunt. PLEASE!! Does this poor guy look like he is in any state to try or even think of making a publicity stunt out of this incident considering his injuries. Once again. Fail. wink.png

Is there a spell checker that corrects grammar. I have seen one that suggests changes but dosen't tell you what they should be.

I knew a former English teacher who claimed the only thing grammar was good for was to give employment to grammar teachers for instance their should should have been a period in here and the word their should have been spelled there

Yes it is true that there are no scrapes or abrasions on the body and I would doubt that he was dressed all in leather.

• Like 1