Indonesian Flight Delayed Because Of Foul-Smelling Durian

Lite Beer

Indonesian flight delayed because of foul-smelling durian

Jakarta - An Indonesian flight was delayed when the passengers demanded to get off the plane after the strong smell of durian filled the cabin, reports said Friday.

Passengers on a Lion Air flight from the capital Jakarta to Medan demanded the crew open the doors and let them off because of the stench, the detikcom online news site reported.

"We were already sat on the plane but we wanted to get off because it smelled too bad," said Abdullah Saleh, a passenger who later switched to a different flight. Ten passengers cancelled their flights.

Durian is banned from aeroplanes and hotel rooms in Indonesia because of its distinctive smell, which is offensive to some people and has been described as reminiscent of rotting vegetables or body odour.

All the passengers got off the plane until the crew removed the offending fruit from the cabin. The flight was delayed by about one hour.

Durian is dubbed the "king of fruits" and is grown throughout South-East Asia.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-22

• Like 1

quote:

Durian is banned from aeroplanes and hotel rooms in Indonesia because of its distinctive smell, which is offensive to some people and has been described as reminiscent of rotting vegetables or body odour.

unquote.

Also in Thailand it is banned.

It happens all the time on the Thailand busses bound for the country-side or vice versa. Even if the Durian is in the luggage storage area of these busses, the stench reaches the passenger cabin... sick.gifsick.gifsick.gif

Edited by LivinginKata
off color remark removed
  • Like 1

Durian is brilliant! It's one of the reasons I moved back to Asia... Missed the scent. Now I live in a part of my city populated by durian sellers. Next to my building is a good (and cheap) Italian pasta place that shares its space with a durian stall. Great experience to eat a carbonara, drink a mug of ice cold beer, and be enveloped by the rich exotic scent of durian.... Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.

One bit of the stuff was more than enough for me. You're forever welcome to my share of the annual crop production. 555

Durian is brilliant! It's one of the reasons I moved back to Asia... Missed the scent. Now I live in a part of my city populated by durian sellers. Next to my building is a good (and cheap) Italian pasta place that shares its space with a durian stall. Great experience to eat a carbonara, drink a mug of ice cold beer, and be enveloped by the rich exotic scent of durian.... Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.

I have tried it, smell and taste. It's smells of elephant dung with attitude, though the taste is marginally better if you have a thing the for sickly-sweet.

I was working in Taiwan once withe these 3 American guys & they'd never seen durian before. I knew what it was as I lived in Thailand.

Anyhow, we all had hotels rooms next to each other & we'd take turns having a drink after work in each other's rooms. I had bought a durian at the downstairs market just to show them what it was. I put it in my room & forgot about it. About 2 days later it was starting to make my eyes water, so 3 of us hatched a plan to hide it the 4th guy's room.

We were drinking Jack & Cokes in his room when we ran out of ice....I had already transferred it to John's room next door. Nick was leaning against the doorjamb to his room & I tossed him my key, as I had a bag of ice in my fridge. Nick left to get the ice & that was our chance.

John hauled ass to his room, grabbed the durian & we stashed it under the big bed spread that the maids had rolled up & stuck in his closet when we had arrived.

A few days later he was saying something about the maids spraying some kind of "fruity" air freshener in his closet.

Me, John & the other guy all went & sniffed around in his room. With a straight face we all said "I don't smell anything".

A couple days after that poor Nick sat down to breakfast with me & said "I found that damned thing you guys hid in my closet".

I started howling.

He said it was keeping him up so he finally sniffed it out.

Cruel aren't I?

Edited by jaywalker

Durian is like Camembert cheese: it smells (strong) when it's (too) ripe, but it's an unequaled delight at the palate when eaten "al dente". And if past the expiry date it can be just as described in the topic.

• Like 2

I have taken durian on flights to the US a few times before. I checked with our Customs and agriculture dept. and it was not on the 'prohibited' list as long as it was without the shell. For the packing I would seal it in plastic bags, normally 3 bags and even 4 bags sometime - one inside the other. I never had the smell that way and made a few Thai friends and family happy.

• Like 1

Durian is like Camembert cheese: it smells (strong) when it's (too) ripe, but it's an unequaled delight at the palate when eaten "al dente". And if past the expiry date it can be just as described in the topic.

I feel that may be a perfect description of Durian. Well done.

I love the stuff, but sometimes it "stays with you" a bit a bit like too much garlic at a good Italian restaurant.

Bought fresh and ripe - its amazing.

would you share the name location of italian pasta place?

In Indonesia and SE Asia durian are considered an aphrodisiac. There is an old saying that goes: When the durians are falling, the sarongs are rising.

Edited by HerbalEd

I like it when people find heaven.

My girlfriend loves durian...it's not allowed in the house.

A buddies girlfriend visited us on the way to her Dutch boyfriend. She brought along with her some water buffalo dung in a plastic bag on the bus to Phuket. Something about fertilizer for his pot plants. I pointed out that this wouldn't make it on the plane. We also took home a couple of kilos of rice from the airport when we discovered her baggage was overweight.

I was working in Taiwan once withe these 3 American guys & they'd never seen durian before. I knew what it was as I lived in Thailand.

Anyhow, we all had hotels rooms next to each other & we'd take turns having a drink after work in each other's rooms. I had bought a durian at the downstairs market just to show them what it was. I put it in my room & forgot about it. About 2 days later it was starting to make my eyes water, so 3 of us hatched a plan to hide it the 4th guy's room.

We were drinking Jack & Cokes in his room when we ran out of ice....I had already transferred it to John's room next door. Nick was leaning against the doorjamb to his room & I tossed him my key, as I had a bag of ice in my fridge. Nick left to get the ice & that was our chance.

John hauled ass to his room, grabbed the durian & we stashed it under the big bed spread that the maids had rolled up & stuck in his closet when we had arrived.

A few days later he was saying something about the maids spraying some kind of "fruity" air freshener in his closet.

Me, John & the other guy all went & sniffed around in his room. With a straight face we all said "I don't smell anything".

A couple days after that poor Nick sat down to breakfast with me & said "I found that damned thing you guys hid in my closet".

I started howling.

He said it was keeping him up so he finally sniffed it out.

Cruel aren't I?

Splendid.

Did the same thing to a bozo who had joined my friends on a fishing trip. A 4kg sea bass behind his radiator!

• Like 1

Love the fish story!!!

That's always a great way to screw with your friends.

Those little coffee creamer things you used to get at McDonald's in the US...

Pop a couple open, & stick them under your buddy's car seat in Florida summer weather.

Funny as hell to watch him cussing about how bad his car stinks.

What are friends for eh?