How Do You Guys Stay Sane In Pattaya?

WinnieTheKhwai

Genuine question. I'm in Pattaya now and really enjoy the place, but lots of little things would probably get to me if I wasn't in holiday mood, and can just smile if I happen to get a taxi driver who's a little less polite, or dealing with all the very hard working tailor people and generally the whole army of folks who's sole job it is to tout sone product or service, or extract money in any other way.

Overall it's all good, just had a brilliant breakfast with a sea view, and the people watching is amazing; especially enjoy the international feel, with every imaginable creed and nationality about and having fun.

Is the only answer to stay as far from downtown as possible? I will likely stay a month or two in/near Pattaya the coming year, hence the question. I'm having trouble staying sane and healthy for any period over 3-4 days. ;)

I have lived in Pattaya for 11 Years, at first it was hard, especially with the noise, it seemed very loud, but as the years have gone on, i am now use to it. Even Rice & spicy foods, I hated it when i first came, but now enjoy a bowl now and then.

As with anything in life, we get use to it.

For me its quite easy, having a family and a house which keep me occupied. I only go out for beers in the weekends but not always, staying home is nice too.

You have over 8000 posts here, do you live in Thailand? It would be good for you if you can ride a Thai motor bike, then you can go all over the place cheaply.

Edited by guzzi850m2
  • Like 1

Apparently there is the 'dark side' ... so, presumably then there is the 'other side'.

My guess the 'other side' is 'Beach Side'.

Enjoy it for what it is ... some fun, not so serious.

Grab a beer and a corn on the cob, turn towards the bay in the afternoon and watch the sun set.

I do like sunsets over Pattaya Bay.

If you're only going for a month, you don't want to go too far out.

Soi Buakhao should be far enough.

You can have a quiet beer there or walk to the beach through Soi 7 in less than minutes.

There are cheap and expensive hotels, apartments and guesthouses.

My friend went the other side of Sukhumvit and had to pay 200 Baht each way just to go for a beer in town or for his wife to go shopping for western food.

Depends on what you call sane.

My version of sane is ignore all the small negatives, and enjoy the positives.thumbsup.gif

Have lived here for ages now, but you could always try Phuket next time. According to many Pattaya haters it's a lot more civilized than here.whistling.gif

Just my personal opinion of course.

Yermaneewai.gif

Edited by yermanee

I think the best idea is not to make any eye contact at all with the Tailors and simply carry on walking.

Never ever use a taxi. Baht bus or m/c every time for me. Most m/c taxis will tell you how much if you ask and most are honest about the prices.

Have a great time here. :)

Try the Beer Garden at the start of walking street, you can have a great meal there too while looking out to sea. Very relaxing having the sea on 3 sides.

• Like 1

You can have a quiet beer there or walk to the beach through Soi 7 in less than minutes.

My friend went the other side of Sukhumvit and had to pay 200 Baht each way just to go for a beer in town or for his wife to go shopping for western food.

Ah sorry, should have mentioned that I will bring the wife and kids, and that I will have a car. (Or maybe two cars to allow the Mrs some mobility)

So Soi Bua Khao is not suitable in just about every way. (Though it makes perfect sense for a couple days when I'm just by myself. But even then it's a bit of a scene, not sure if I could deal with that every day fir a longer period of time. )

I was thinking Sr Racha actually. Easy for the family to go shopping, and also not too far from Pattaya for some more major shopping, and kids stuff. And beaches, though I hear there's a pretty nice island close to Sri Racha too.

Unless I can find the same sort of deal nearer to Pattaya, but Naklua/Bang Lamung may be too close.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Ban Ampur and Bang Saray are just 10 and 15 minutes away from Makro and Lotus respectively, less traffic clean air, lots of places to explore inland and nice beaches on the coast.

• Like 2

Ban Ampur and Bang Saray are just 10 and 15 minutes away from Makro and Lotus respectively, less traffic clean air, lots of places to explore inland and nice beaches on the coast.

+1, can't argue with the South side of Pattaya.

I have lived in Pattaya for 11 Years, at first it was hard, especially with the noise, it seemed very loud, but as the years have gone on, i am now use to it.

Or maybe you got a little deaf over the years hence the reason you're used to it now. laugh.png

Edited by pipo1000
  • Like 1

Everything was OK until they started filing the restraining orders on me........so I came to Thailand and ended up in Jomtien. It was Kismet.......( look it up )

If you lead a normal life here its easy to avoid becoming part of the headlines in the local rags and on the pathetic news channels and also on this forum....!!!

Thai Visa gives you anonimity (I hope?) to vent about all the nonsense.

Turn a blind eye to the abject squalor and look for the good points and rinse of your rose tinted specs and you'll maybe end up checking in to the nut house we call home ???

• Like 1

Ah sorry, should have mentioned that I will bring the wife and kids, and that I will have a car. (Or maybe two cars to allow the Mrs some mobility)

So Soi Bua Khao is not suitable in just about every way. (Though it makes perfect sense for a couple days when I'm just by myself. But even then it's a bit of a scene, not sure if I could deal with that every day fir a longer period of time. )

I was thinking Sr Racha actually. Easy for the family to go shopping, and also not too far from Pattaya for some more major shopping, and kids stuff. And beaches, though I hear there's a pretty nice island close to Sri Racha too.

Unless I can find the same sort of deal nearer to Pattaya, but Naklua/Bang Lamung may be too close.

There's more 'major' shopping in Sri Racha, that's eehre us Pattayarites used to have to go to find the nearst Robinson's before Central opened (and still go as Cenrtal is too expensive!)

Depends on what you call sane.

My version of sane is ignore all the small negatives, and enjoy the positives.thumbsup.gif

Have lived here for ages now, but you could always try Phuket next time. According to many Pattaya haters it's a lot more civilized than here.whistling.gif

Just my personal opinion of course.

Yermaneewai.gif

Do not try Phuket just head north, Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai

I live in Chiang Mai! The Eastern Seaboard would be a relocation during the dry season, which is pretty terrible in the North.

But anyway, if I understand everyone then the only way to stay sane is indeed to live significantly out of town? Be it Bang Saray or way across Sukhumvit?

I'm semi-retired and I have loads of time on my hands. I sometimes go to gogos when I'm bored. It's an wild lifestyle but somebody's gotta do it.

I'm insane and there isn't a cure.

• Like 1

I live in Chiang Mai! The Eastern Seaboard would be a relocation during the dry season, which is pretty terrible in the North.

But anyway, if I understand everyone then the only way to stay sane is indeed to live significantly out of town? Be it Bang Saray or way across Sukhumvit?

I live in central Pattaya off Pattaya Klang. Easy access to the beach, walking street, the bars with good music around soi 8 Beach road and those on 2nd road. Bali Hai pier is not too far away for a trip out to one of the islands.

No need for me to move to the dark side or out of Pattaya unless i want to go live in a new town somewhere. It all depends on what floats your boat.

The dry seasons here are also terrible, they had one last week end and if my info is correct there will be another one the next week end.

It all boils down to where you stay and what you do with your time.

I live away from all the bars and tourists, in a Thai zone, so no tailors or rude taxi's

i also work 7 days, so again just normal day to day life.

When i am out and about, i think tailors and everyone else can smell the local, so i hardly ever get bothered by any of them.

I do not speak fluent Thai, but do speak "clear" Thai as i been told, so again keeps away a number of "annoying people"

Of course here and there, something or someone gets on my nerves, but thats just a good reminder of where i livebiggrin.png

Not at all. Just pick your place to live away from the red light zones.

South Pattaya or North Pattaya, closer to Sukhumvit road, just past 3rd road is already fairly sane with working people.

I def agree with the notion that staying sane in Pattaya is not the easiest of tasks. Here is what I do:

1) Take a morning or evening walk up Pratamnak hill and do some of the exercises on the way.

2) Play badminton at the court near the Thapprayya and 3rd road intersection (you can buy equipment across the street).

3) Jog on the beach in the morning.

4) Pick up a hobby (mine is currently acting).

5) Play tennis.

6) Something I am considering, but have not started yet, is doing volunteer work. Thai Visa forum members recommended the Father Ray Foundation, or Fountain of Life Pattaya.

The dry seasons here are also terrible, they had one last week end and if my info is correct there will be another one the next week end.

:lol: Right, but at least you can still breathe at those times and kids don't end up with respiratory conditions. ;)

I think the next elections are 8 July by the way, judging from the signs I saw. So that's the week after next week.