Kayaking From North Of Chiang Mai Into Town

luther

I was just given some kayaks. I live almost to Mae Rim and ride my bike north up the river. I'm wondering if anyone out there can recommend where to put in and pull out. I'm looking for a half day trip that ends up in town.

Sorry can't help as not sure where the weirs are that confound boating. Years ago my brother and I paddled surf skis on the Tweed River in Australia out to the ocean and back, when we got hot we would just drop into the crystal clear water to cool down and then start off again. For me that aspect is missing here on the muddy Ping, if it was clean I'd buy a kayak and rebuild my manly, toned shoulders for the adoration of the local females. However...

You can kayaking along Ping river, there is a kayak boarding place at Wat Pha Hham (they have also Kayak for rent), you can also go to Maetamann or Muang Keud in Mae Taeng district then come back to town (not with kayak).

Kayaks; Jet skis; sand; is Chiang Mai becoming a beach resort now. Just wait for the banana boat thread tomorrow.

Kayakers, mostly locals, can be seen on the Ping almost every day, late in the afternoon. These include Thai athletes who train for the national teams. They've been out for at least the last 10-12 years as far as I recall. Quite a pleasant sight, though probably not visible from the lofty heights your computer keyboard. So what are you kvetching about?

There was a topic on TV before...

...here is the map :

http://maps.google.c...181789&t=h&z=13

Thanks, I looked into that trip and may take it. I'm more interested in seeing what's along the river on the 15 KM heading into town. Something like this<https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=215240729949613933232.0004c32bea9bcb44cd51a&hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=m&z=13&vpsrc=1>

It's just that in most places the banks are too steep, no parking etc. Just looking for put in/pull out suggestions.

...here is the map :

Thanks, I looked into that trip and may take it. I'm more interested in seeing what's along the river on the 15 KM heading into town. Something like this<https://maps.google....=m&z=13&vpsrc=1>

It's just that in most places the banks are too steep, no parking etc. Just looking for put in/pull out suggestions.

Give a look at the put in/out that is at the north end of the parade walk in front of the Rimping

Condo. The little soi that runs right into the river. It is right across the river from the municipal offices by Muang Mai Market. Put in there, park there, go up the river to the dam or wherever and return. Maybe good for you , maybe not ...... but do check it out.

G

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Kayaks; Jet skis; sand; is Chiang Mai becoming a beach resort now. Just wait for the banana boat thread tomorrow.

Kayakers, mostly locals, can be seen on the Ping almost every day, late in the afternoon. These include Thai athletes who train for the national teams. They've been out for at least the last 10-12 years as far as I recall. Quite a pleasant sight, though probably not visible from the lofty heights your computer keyboard. So what are you kvetching about?

Thats just the sort of typical reply I expected from someone who cannot blatantly see the humour/irony.........but then again if you have spent 10yrs standing on the riverbank and reading a dictionary your outlook on life must be quite narrow..

Impressed by the big word though; is that a silent "k" or silent "v"

And Parasailing! Speed boats! Open water fishing! Scuba Diving! Non-dead Nightlife!

dont go there winnie we have opposition

...here is the map :

Thanks, I looked into that trip and may take it. I'm more interested in seeing what's along the river on the 15 KM heading into town. Something like this<https://maps.google....=m&z=13&vpsrc=1>

Go for it. According to your map, it looks like you propose putting in under the 121 overpass. You would have no problem doing this. They have been doing some construction on the bridge pilings and access is easy. On the east side just a couple hundred meters from the river is also our local market with secure parking that would be better than parking under bridge,(I live just 1 km north of there, on the river).

Within the past few months they dredged, cleared and steepened (is that a word?) the river banks all along this area. What would have been access in the past is no longer available. If I can be of assistance send me a PM. I would have offered my house, but as I just stated, it is no longer easily doable.

Also a TV member, "Fishenough" has done a lot of kayaking on the river further north. You could send him a PM (search "members") if he doesn't pick up on this post.

Good Luck.

Edit: One other note; since the floods dropped so much mud and silt, the mud along the edge of the water can be like quicksand. You sink up to yours knees, and it can by an effort to get out and get moving.

Edited by silverhawk_usa

Thats just the sort of typical reply I expected from someone who cannot blatantly see the humour/irony.........but then again if you have spent 10yrs standing on the riverbank and reading a dictionary your outlook on life must be quite narrow..

Impressed by the big word though; is that a silent "k" or silent "v"

Nope didn't recognize the humour/irony until you pointed it out, but I'm glad it's there. Reading a dictionary on the riverbank actually sounds kinds of nice, I'll give it a try-- thanks for the tip!

Also a TV member, "Fishenough" has done a lot of kayaking on the river further north. You could send him a PM (search "members") if he doesn't pick up on this post.

Thanks. I'll look him up.

Putting in under the 121 bridge seems easy, on either side with secure parking at the market a plus.

However I'm thinking I'll be in town in an hour and 45 minutes. I cycle both side of the river. Usually when I'm on your side, heading north, I go inland and follow the irrigation canals.

I'm wondering if you know a spot between the 121 bridge and the 1260 bridge that heads to Mae Rim.

I don't really need secure parking. My wife or someone else can drop us off.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers SilverHawk_US of A!

You can easily float the entire city of you don't mind wading, and the very short portages, around several weirs. The interesting parts of the river, in my option, start south of the 121 ring road. Along this route are plenty of stairs leading up to the road following the west side of the river. But you may not want to walk into the Sheik Istana with muddy feet. Just find a passing Song Tao, load up your kayaks and head home, it is a great way to spend a day. Food and water are easy to find also, as many a restaurant are located along the Ping, but these are harder to access in the center of town.

One warning, if you find with ingress and egress wading your feet will sink into the river mud, be warned that this can produce the most unpleasant of smells. Maybe not the best idea wading in the shores of the Ping if you have any open wounds on your feet.

I was hoping you would comment, "Fish".

I have ridden my motorcycle following the Ping as much as I could. I saw a few spots that looked accessible, north of the 121. But, as I stated in my first post, recent work along the riverbanks has changed everything. I would suggest just taking your bicycle for a ride and take not of what looks promising. Most places, I don't think the Thai's would mind, and will probably come out and help you.

Again, as we have both said; Beware the Mud! Also, as FishEnough says; I sometimes have to go into the water to fix my PVC for my irrigation water pump. The first thing I do when I get out is take a shower. There can be some nasty things in that water.

I was hoping you would comment, "Fish".

I have ridden my motorcycle following the Ping as much as I could. I saw a few spots that looked accessible, north of the 121. But, as I stated in my first post, recent work along the riverbanks has changed everything. I would suggest just taking your bicycle for a ride and take not of what looks promising. Most places, I don't think the Thai's would mind, and will probably come out and help you.

Again, as we have both said; Beware the Mud! Also, as FishEnough says; I sometimes have to go into the water to fix my PVC for my irrigation water pump. The first thing I do when I get out is take a shower. There can be some nasty things in that water.

On a float starting at Warrot market, taking out several hours later, my son's friend had a condom stuck in his sandal between his toes. That made 3, counting the 2 we saw floating the river with us. Yuck.

The river north on the Mae Taeng agricultural weir, during half the year, is wonderful for swimming.

randikevin1.jpg

• Like 1

Here are a couple of places that might interest you.

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=18.878869&lon=98.9785337&z=18&l=0&m=b At this point there is a small bamboo dock that may or may not still exist, but the site allows you to get to the water's edge easily. You can drive almost all the way down to the river.

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=18.9000187&lon=98.9769405&z=18&l=0&m=b Behind the crematory there used to be an access point. Again, I'm don't know about the condition today.

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=18.903546&lon=98.9767313&z=18&l=0&m=b Immediately north of the crematory there is a sand harvesting site. You may be able to enter the water there.

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=18.9189811&lon=98.9685264&z=19&l=0&m=b On the west bank just north of the Mae Rim Highway 1260 bridge there are steps leading down to the water.

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=18.9234467&lon=98.9735234&z=19&l=0&m=b Again, on the east side a bit farther north of the Mae Rim bridge there were excellent steps, but dredging has covered the steps with sand. You might want to check that area nonetheless.

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=18.929914&lon=98.9663592&z=19&l=0&m=b Lots of steps leading down to the river, as well as a road for trucks hauling sand. This is on the west side north of Mae Rim.

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=18.9452859&lon=98.9744568&z=17&l=0&m=b And one more, perhaps the easiest of all, with parking to boot. It's directly across from (วัด วังหมุ้น สันโป่ง) Wat WangMun SanPong, at the next bridge upstream from the Highway 1260 bridge.

Then, for exiting the river if you don't care to go as far as Wat FaHahm, there is an established kayaking landing at Wat GaJao (also spelled Ka Jao), just north of the Superhighway 11 on the east side. http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=18.8143199&lon=99.0023678&z=18&l=0&m=b

Thanks for the replies.

Fishenough, last question.

If I put in at the 121 bridge, where am I after 3 hours, plus or minus a bridge or two?

You can go under the bridges giggle.gif

Really depends on if your paddling or just drifting, at an easy pace and with high water you'd make it to before the 1015 easily in that time. That works well because just before the 1015 road the river can be full of floating weeds. The weeds are passable, just look possible barely there existing tracks through them. If you get out before the weeds, as it's slow going if they're there, would be to take out here http://goo.gl/maps/e3as. The weir just before the east-west Saraphi road (not sure what the road is called, just the straight road that intersects Saraphi) can take a few minutes to get around, depending on water conditions past it. It also one of the few weir that I won't recommend riding over if your so inclined to do so.

Luther, If you want to see some unroaded sections of the Ping River, you can put in on the road past the Mae Taeng Hospital. I've always wanted to kayak that section as I see Thai and foreign groups putting in and taking out at the two locations below. I think there was a touring group doing paid cruises as well but I haven't seen them around in a while. If anyone has any contact information for that group, please post.

Put In.kmz

Take Out at Dam.kmz

Luther, If you want to see some unroaded sections of the Ping River, you can put in on the road past the Mae Taeng Hospital. I've always wanted to kayak that section as I see Thai and foreign groups putting in and taking out at the two locations below. I think there was a touring group doing paid cruises as well but I haven't seen them around in a while. If anyone has any contact information for that group, please post.

Contact Track of the Tiger.

Or if you have 2 trucks, for drop off and pickup, or have a separate driver for this task; the operator at Mae Mgat dam_n will rent his blue boats happily. With a deposit or a passport left behind of course, we left him a car when we took his kayaks. This would be the far more affordable of these 2 chooses.

Edit; Just to add that with those put in and take out points posted; for pointing in take the dirt road to the left 50 meters before the Mae Taeng bridge, heading to the dam, this provides a nice grassy drop in to the river if you don't mind getting wet, and taking out at the Mae Taeng dam the easiest spot is just down the left channel before the weir through the concrete pillars, here there is a flat spot with little current to pull out on, and with permission you can park close for easy loading.

Edited by Fishenough

I ran into a guide I know with Chiang Mae Mountain biking, and they do Kayak tours also.

Just a few minutes ago I saw an old pick up truck in downtown Mae Taeng with several fiberglass river kayaks stuffed in the back. Didn't have time to chase him down but interesting to see. Looked like they might be from the kayaking center up the Mae Taeng river past the elephant camps judging by the dings on the hulls!