Overcoming Adversity In Thailand

AnandaSatvha

I've always believed all life is equal. But if I had a preference in the next life I gave you my choices. I see more faults in my own species than any other in existence!

I suspect you are an alien.

PS: please pay attention to the disclaimer in my signature below...

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

I think there's no space in an alien, though I could have got entirely the wrong end of the

there.

SC

thatsbrawman!

• Like 1

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always believed all life is equal. But if I had a preference in the next life I gave you my choices. I see more faults in my own species than any other in existence!

I suspect you are an alien.

PS: please pay attention to the disclaimer in my signature below...

I think there's no space in an alien, though I could have got entirely the wrong end of the

there.

SC

thatsbrawman!

Surely there is some space in an alien... or do you think it is very dense... or are you suggesting some sort of "typo"?... I often make typos, maybe even in this post...

... Look at the fools who climb Mt.Everest and 25 percent DIE. ...

Welcome aboard new poster ... thumbsup.gif

I'm certainly in-tune with stopping pollution (as in your Avatar).

But I do have to question one small thing ... about 25% of people dying climbing Mt Everest.

Can you post your source material please because my knowledge is a little different to yours?

The overall mortality rate for Everest mountaineers during the entire 86-year period was 1.3 percent; the rate among climbers was 1.6 percent and the rate among sherpas was 1.1 percent. During the past 25 years, a period during which a greater percentage of moutaineers climbed above 8,000 meters, the death rate for non-Himalayan climbers descending via the longer Tibetan northeast ridge was 3.4 percent, while on the shorter Nepal route it was 2.5 percent.

Science Daily

I wish you good luck with your quest for eternal acceptance ... wai.gif

What size shoes do you wear Ananda.....you might have a long journey ahead.

I hope the OP hasn't given up on this tread.

He/She was onto something here!

(My bold: SC)

Do some among us have a footwear fetish?

In a similar vein, all I can offer is "start walking, and smile! In a while, you'll be back home"

A meal of the largest elephant begins with a single bite.

SC

Over the Rainbow and under the bridge is where I found you Streetcowboy, thanks..

"The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich and the poor alike to sleep under bridges"

SC

Bullshit.

If I was an Ant in a previous life it would be complimentary but as one in the next life, BUDDHISM would see it as a severe downgrade. I would rather come back as a cockroach or a Saltwater Crocodile. Thanks for sharing.

I want to come back as an oak tree... ideally next to a village green with a cricket team

Beware of what you wish for - it could turn out be an oak tree in Australia.

Over the Rainbow and under the bridge is where I found you Streetcowboy, thanks..

"The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich and the poor alike to sleep under bridges"

SC

Under the streetsigns cowboy, I'm your shelter from rain, the highway is our only pillow and the bridge is our only blanket. That aint equality, thats what I call survival.....

I am the man you describe !

And therefore, I do not give a f....g dam_n for the rest of your excursions !

I live here and no, i am not in need of telling everybody and his grandmother on how they should treat Earth and nature. I do not want to spoil everybody's party while it lasts !

About the ethics and the morale . .well, that's quite another topic . . but because I am the man you described, why would I worry ?????

SC

Under the streetsigns cowboy, I'm your shelter from rain, the highway is our only pillow and the bridge is our only blanket. That aint equality, thats what I call survival.....

Anatole's point was that neither rich nor poor were allowed to live like that, and would suffer persecution for it. Fortuitously, the rich amongst us could alternatively retire to their feather-bedded chateaux, whereas that option was not available to the very poorest.

And my point was that regardless of my preferred career or natural habitat, you'll not find me in Thailand under a bridge demanding money with menaces as it is prohibited by law and I don't have a Work Permit

SC

EDIT: sometimes, it seems hardly worth going back over furrows you've ploughed once already, regardless of how shallow or ... and once again, my vocabulary fails me - what is a good word for 'not straight' in the way that a poorly ploughed furrow might be?

• Like 1

SC

Anatole's point was that neither rich nor poor were allowed to live like that, and would suffer persecution for it. Fortuitously, the rich amongst us could alternatively retire to their feather-bedded chateaux, whereas that option was not available to the very poorest.

And my point was that regardless of my preferred career or natural habitat, you'll not find me in Thailand under a bridge demanding money with menaces as it is prohibited by law and I don't have a Work Permit

SC

EDIT: sometimes, it seems hardly worth going back over furrows you've ploughed once already, regardless of how shallow or ... and once again, my vocabulary fails me - what is a good word for 'not straight' in the way that a poorly ploughed furrow might be?

crooked....or wonky....I like wonky

Edited by samsiam

Buddhism also teaches that one must truly study the laws and rules in order to find ways to work within and beyond them.

No wonder tax dodging is such a big issue in Thailand.

Look at the fools who climb Mt.Everest and 25 percent DIE.

"Climbing Everest is a dangerous activity and, on average over many years, there was one death for every 10 successful attempts. And as dangerous as it is to climb Everest, coming back down is even more hazardous, as reported in a study in The British Medical Journal (BMJ ), Vol 337, December 2008, by PG Firth and colleagues."

"The BMJ study examined the pattern of mortality among climbers on Everest in the period 1921-2006. In total the mountaineers included 8,030 climbers and 6,108 Sherpas. There were 212 climbing deaths (a death rate of 1.3 per cent), 192 of which occurred above the base camp. Among climbers who died higher than 8,000 metres above sea level, 56 per cent succumbed on their descent from the summit and 17 per cent died after turning back. Only 15 per cent died on the way up or before leaving the final camp."

Irish Times 2009

Not denying your passion, but quoting facts needs supporting evidence or the argument is a house of falling cards. Come back with new supportive evidence, and I will support you, not sure what I will support, but it is the only war I have at the moment.

The BBC did an analysis in which for some reason I cant cut and paste here which stated. Older climbers have a 25 percent chance of dying and young climbers had only a 2.2 percent chance of death. I'd bet more than 80 percent of the members here are over 40...

The BBC did an analysis in which for some reason I cant cut and paste here which stated. Older climbers have a 25 percent chance of dying and young climbers had only a 2.2 percent chance of death. I'd bet more than 80 percent of the members here are over 40...

Hummmm ... did you not read my post?

That said ... I support fully your ideal of stopping pollution ... though I feel that reducing it maybe might be a more achievable goal.

Have you found what you are looking for yet?

Hummmm ... did you not read my post?

That said ... I support fully your ideal of stopping pollution ... though I feel that reducing it maybe might be a more achievable goal.

Have you found what you are looking for yet?

Reducing=Stopping. Don't get your crotch wet over the details bud..

Hope that WE can all do a small part each and every day to GIVE BACK to Mother Nature and giving her a footscrub on a daily basis is advised,= Use Less Clean More...

That's put me right off, so it has. I think I'll just stay home and watch the rugby this weekend. You'll not catch me climbing Everest at those odds; I'd be better off with illegal football betting.

Anyway, fatalities on Everest are completely OFF TOPIC because, as the Dalai Lama knows, I am sure, though some on this forum seem to struggle, and, if we are to believe what we are told here, many Thais would contradict me, but EVEREST IS NOT IN THAILAND. Climbing Everest does not constitute overcomng adversity in Thailand. You can boast all you want, and rub our noses in it that people with zimmers have more chance of winning the lottery than climbing Everest and returning safely, but NOT ON THIS THREAD!

SC

Do you think Everest is ready for the Imam?

I am sure that the Imam could help with overcoming adversity in Thailand.

Asafak! Ifahcangettaethemosquefirmornin'prayers, Everest'llbenaebautherata', solangasthir's an off-license halfway up; and mairimportant, apparently, halfwaydoon ina'

NO, I don't think Everest is ready. It needs more time to brace itself. So often we focus only on ourselves, and our challenges and problems here, without thinking about how Thailand can cope with the adversity and challenges that we pose If the mountain will not come to Mohammed, maybe there's a reason for that, and we should try to understand why it will not.

SC

Asafak! Ifahcangettaethemosquefirmornin'prayers, Everest'llbenaebautherata', solangasthir's an off-license halfway up; and mairimportant, apparently, halfwaydoon ina'

NO, I don't think Everest is ready. It needs more time to brace itself. So often we focus only on ourselves, and our challenges and problems here, without thinking about how Thailand can cope with the adversity and challenges that we pose If the mountain will not come to Mohammed, maybe there's a reason for that, and we should try to understand why it will not.

SC

These are both inflammatory off topic hate speech starters. I'm talking about overcoming adversity by being brave enough to lose face with a black garbage bag on the beach or the street with an objective to clean up the mess others have made on this planet.

SC

These are both inflammatory off topic hate speech starters. I'm talking about overcoming adversity by being brave enough to lose face with a black garbage bag on the beach or the street with an objective to clean up the mess others have made on this planet.

"inflammatory off topc hate speech starters"?

helpmaboab, Cowboy - he's got youbangtaerights

I think he meant you as well, Imam

Wellhe'sacheekyweemonkeysoheisthen. WEE WILL NIVVIR SiRRINDIR - noothon'sahatespeechstarter OHFLLOORAE... noothon'sahatespeechstarter

Well, Imam, I think we should leave it there, and avoid being drawn. Some people like to make personal attacks in the hope of inciting a backlash, but as men of peace we should let it slide over our shoulders like a horrible green bogie off a ducks back. I think he means well, anyway, and I'd hate for him to jeopardise what could be his last chance at serene nirvanha before he starts his time as a termite. Let him set about with his black bag

SC

• Like 2