Visa Run From Chiang Mai To Mae Sai

rideswings

I need to make a visa run to Mai Sai Tuesday and have never done it before. Im thinking about taking a minivan up there for around 750 baht that leaves at 0800 and returns 1800. The company is called M & J.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, make sure its a visa run only. Unless you want to make the extra stops to the golden triang , etc. Also, the border no longer accepts USD. make sure you have 500B ready.

Are you sure? I only went up 2 weeks ago and they accepted my rather grubby $10 bill without even examining it. People were being told by an important looking official that they could pay in either currency

No, never sure as things change, especially when the bosses are around. The past few months, they have not been accepting the $10 as its no where near the same amount as 500B. They had taken down all the signs referring to the $10, but I can imagine they keep them within reach in case of inspection.

Also, make sure its a visa run only. Unless you want to make the extra stops to the golden triang , etc. Also, the border no longer accepts USD. make sure you have 500B ready.

Are you sure? I only went up 2 weeks ago and they accepted my rather grubby $10 bill without even examining it. People were being told by an important looking official that they could pay in either currency

I really depends on who is on duty. I have been told only 500 baht, then only to be told $10 is ok too. No consistancy wink.png

p.s. If you can wait till Saturday, I will be making a trip too.

Edited by Maejo Man

Carry the newest, crispest ten dollar bill you can find, along with 500 baht. They probably won't take the ten, but it doesn't hurt to try and will save you almost 200 baht if they do accept it. It all depends on who's collecting the money and how they feel at the moment.

Vans range from reasonable to miserable, depending on condition of van and number of people being carried. You can find other options at the Arcade bus station. The VIP bus costs about 700 baht round trip and isn't as convenient as a van, but is much more comfortable.

If you go shopping in Tachilek the Burmese officials will keep your passport and give you a receipt you use to collect your passport when you leave. Parting with the passport is unnerving, but I've never had a problem with this procedure or heard of anyone who has.

I went this Saturday and they didn't accept my USD10 bill, but like some posters said before, it is worth trying. You save 200THB.

I think it is up to the guys sitting there wether they accept it or not.

I guess they do not want too much of the dollar bills, because at the end of the day they exchange some THB to dollars themselves and pocket the profit before handing over the money.

Minivan trip should cost you between 500THB and 600THB. They stop for about an hour at the border. Go straight into Myanmar, have a look around the market (after crossing the bridge take the stairs down) and on the way back, after you get your passport back, on the bridge, make sure to check out the duty free shop on the right hand side. I have bought a lot in there and it seems to be all legit (if not, then they are dam_n good copies).

Good luck

Shop around a friend just took a mini van there for 450baht, and take 10$ usd with you when you walk across otherwise it will be 500baht.

Make sure it is a fresh ten dollar bill.

And have 500 baht ready some times they won't take the American money

I was told as a business owner you did not have to go you could just check in every ninety days at immigration even do it by registered mail with a self addressed stamped envelope preferably have it also registered.

Edited by hellodolly

I was told as a business owner you did not have to go you could just check in every ninety days at immigration even do it by registered mail with a self addressed stamped envelope preferably have it also registered.

A visa run, or this case, most likely a re-entry on a TV is not a 90 report and cannot be dealt with like one. You must leave the country to activate a second or third entry (depending on what you have in your passport) if your previous visa has expired. It is not a report or an extension and cannot be done in Thailand at immigration.

Shop around for the transport 750 is taking the p*** Dont pay more than 550bt; I pay 500bt, and as Steve says its 500bt at the border, they stopped accepting the dollar bill a year ago.

Funny how the "they don't take US $10 comes up every few months.

Someday they'll really stop accepting US money, or change it $15.

But to say "they stopped accepting the dollar bill a year ago" is just wrong.

They told me "500 baht" and didn't even look at the $10 I gave them.

About 450 return for a regular seat on a bus that takes about 4 hours each way. 600 or so for the VIP seats. Book your tickets the day before though as they're usually fully booked on the day

Then at the Mae Sai Bus Station there are regular songtaews going to the Bridge and back for 15 baht a time, takes about 10-15 minutes.

If you get the 8:30 bus there and the 3:30 bus back you can get the whole thing done in half a day for under 1000 Baht

I always enjoy the VIP bus from the station. I book a week ahead, make sure I can get seat A1 (or is it A2? Which ever... the one with all the extra leg room right behind the door.) I bring a small blanket and a neck pillow, plug earphones over my ears, and go to sleep... I wake up when we reach Mai Sai, do my run, get back on the bus and go back to sleep. Wake up in Chiang Mai. All in all, a very relaxing day, and I'm not crowded into a mini-van nor rushed in Mai Sai.

• Like 1

Thanks very much for all the replies. Shortly after making this post I went and bought a minivan ticket for 650 that will pick me up at 7am. If I had know I would be offered a ride-share I would have not bought the ticket :) but its non-refundable.

I need to go again in 2 weeks, so if anyone else is going then and you have a car, I would be interested in a ride-share.

About 450 return for a regular seat on a bus that takes about 4 hours each way. 600 or so for the VIP seats. Book your tickets the day before though as they're usually fully booked on the day

Then at the Mae Sai Bus Station there are regular songtaews going to the Bridge and back for 15 baht a time, takes about 10-15 minutes.

If you get the 8:30 bus there and the 3:30 bus back you can get the whole thing done in half a day for under 1000 Baht

"half a day" meaning twelve hours.

The VIP bus schedule makes its usage take a little longer for the day trip. On the plus side, if you enjoy walking around the market and chatting with the stall owners, looking at all the pretty toys, perhaps picking up the latest counterfeit DVD player or eating a relaxed lunch, etc., it's nice to have the time. The mini-vans do save you about two-three hours, which I guess is important to some.

Only if he has a certain kind of visa - just owning a business does not do it.

M & J or another mini van saves a few hours on the VIP bus. They pick you up at your place and drop you off. Much less hassle.

Last time I went I watched a few minivan group members use a USD $10. It's worth a try but not guaranteed. I think still better than 50/50 odds.

I'm considering the M & J option, anyone else have any experience with these guys? Do they stop on the way up or is it a non stop to Mae Sai?

folk guitar

re .. I book a week ahead, make sure I can get seat A1 (or is it A2?

its 1A : ) and i used to stay in mai sai overnight like baloo22 but i dont have to do

visa runs anymore ... just 90 day reports at immigration : )

dave2

post-42592-0-87249400-1340681758_thumb.j

I guess they do not want too much of the dollar bills, because at the end of the day they exchange some THB to dollars themselves and pocket the profit before handing over the money.

The Burmese government rate is $10 US not Thai Baht. As stated above are the reasons the border guards don't want dollars.

In Burma it's a US dollar economy, not Baht, Pound, Euro, Yuan or Yen, but US dollar.

Try using Baht at Yangon or Mandalay airports or in any store!

folk guitar

re .. I book a week ahead, make sure I can get seat A1 (or is it A2?)

its 1A : )

Thanks, Dave2... I can never remember! But it certainly is nice to be able to stretch one's legs, and not deal with some climbing over you during the ride!

The Burmese government rate is $10 US not Thai Baht. As stated above are the reasons the border guards don't want dollars.

In Burma it's a US dollar economy, not Baht, Pound, Euro, Yuan or Yen, but US dollar.

Try using Baht at Yangon or Mandalay airports or in any store!

you are, of course, absolutely right about acceptable currency in the whole of Burma - except Tachilek, where the goodies for the family in the barracks back in Naypidaw have to be paid for in baht!

• Like 1

You can get on a VIP bus to Chiang Rai, much more comfortable, leaves almost hourly, then local bus from CR, cheaper but you have to get your timing right to make it efficient, there are two buses a day direct to Mae Sai, also very comfortable, ride your motorbike to the station, only thing is you need to get there early or book in advance but some travel agents could do so for you since their system is all online now.