Thai Prime Minister Speaking In English (Vid)

ThaiBrat

[media]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DptRL-dXJ-4[/media]

Thai Prime Minister speaking in English doing an interview with Al Jazeera last month.

In the interview, she talks about flooding, the economy, Myanmar, Asean and her brother Thaksin Shinawatra. She appears to have a handle on the situations facing Thailand.

Edited by ThaiBrat

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why is her English sooo bad?

It was probably a bit better when she was a studying for her advanced degrees in Kentucky, but since her return (been a while now?) I reckon she's been speaking 99.999% Thai and therefore her English skills have been slipping.

If you don't use it you lose it as my SOs keep telling me. . .

It was probably a bit better when she was a studying for her advanced degrees in Kentucky, but since her return (been a while now?) I reckon she's been speaking 99.999% Thai and therefore her English skills have been slipping.

Why do you think she spoke English while in the US? You don't honestly think she wrote her own papers or did her own homework, do you? If you do, then I would like to offer to sell you the Brooklyn Bridge for very favorable price.

There are many, many wealthy Thais that go overseas for their education and can barely speak or write English at all. They hire someone to do their work for them, and classes are specifically selected that can be engineered to generate a passing grade with minimal language skills. I'm not saying you are wrong that it didn't get worse since then. I don't know one way or the other. But it would be presumptuous to assume the current PM's English was ever any better than today.

• Like 1

Haven't got a clue what message she is trying to get across. I hear the words, and know what she is saying, but not a clue what they actually mean. She is cute as a button though; would be great to do a kiss and tell on her (just before you get killed).

• Like 1

I actually found her better than expected. Speaking English, that is. The content of what she said however....................

Exactly what I thought. What Thai politicians struggle to understand is that to the rest of the world people like to question things, and not just hear a party political broadcast and statements consisting of "trust me, I'm a politician wink.png "

I would love to see a real reporter in the western style going to town on one of these guys and girls; a Thai Paxman, where the interviewer sits there and says "but you have been making various pledges and promises since you have been in power; have not followed upon any of them, certainly necver delivered upon any of your promises. So how do you expect the voting public to believe anything you ever pledge again?"

This is the Thai top elite.

Probably she could get a job as a secretary in Singapore.

97000 posts and that is the best you could come up with? thumbsup.gif

She's more receptionist level actually - "you hold on yeah". beeeeeeeeeeeeeeppppppp as the phone gets put down.

The problem isn't her English; she has a decent enough vocabulary.

She understands the questions perfectly well; she just doesn't know the answers.

The interviewer was very polite and spoke very slowly and accentuated. Like a teacher in school.

I would bet her English is better than your Thai.

It is difficult to make an assessment on Yingluck, based on this interview, because we don't know if she was given the questions in advance and rehearsed the answers, or if it was unrehearsed.

If it was unrehearsed , I would say she did very good, if she had the questions in advance of the interview , not so good.

She understands the questions perfectly well; she just doesn't know the answers.

Can you imagine if Stephen Sackur or Paxo was interviewing her?

Which questions did you think she did not know the answers to. and in your opinion what would you think would have being the correct answer?

I expected her English to be better.

I wonder how well David Cameron speaks Thai. Or Angela Merkel, or Barack Obama. Hell, G W Bush could barely speak English!

Me too because, as everyone knows, Thai is an international language that facilitates trade/business around the world thanks to the country from which it originates former position as the world's most powerful economy with an empire that spanned 25% of the planet.

Can you imagine if Stephen Sackur or Paxo was interviewing her?

Which questions did you think she did not know the answers to. and in your opinion what would you think would have being the correct answer?

I didn't need to know the answers to realise she was winging it. Did you?

Edited by HardenedSoul

I disagree, I think the whole thing was pretty close to fully scripted.

Her mental struggling was in remembering her lines and doing the internal translation as she obviously doesn't think in English.

IMO

PS I don't think any of these factors have anything to do with whether or not she's a capable representative of those with the real power.

As a side note, at first I laughed when she said climate change is the most urgent/critical issue facing her leadership.

However from a big-picture POV she may well be right, the importance of whether or not big brother returns certainly is unimportant in comparison.

Link to a relevant recent article

Related TED talk:

! Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

I disagree, I think the whole thing was pretty close to fully scripted.

Her mental struggling was in remembering her lines and doing the internal translation as she obviously doesn't think in English.

IMO

And, had I not previously seen interviews in which she answers questions in English with more fluency, I might agree with you.

As to her capabilities as a proxy for the ruling elite, I really just don't give enough of a toss about Thai politics to be able to comment with any authority.

snapback.pngHardenedSoul, on Today, 05:23 , said:The problem isn't her English; she has a decent enough vocabulary.

snapback.pngsirineou, on 28 minutes ago, said: Which questions did you think she did not know the answers to. and in your opinion what would you think would have being the correct answer?

HardenedSoul, , said: I didn't need to know the answers to realise she was winging it. Did you?

If she was " Winging it" then I think she did pretty good,

So I will ask the question again,

Which question did you think she was "Winging" and what in your opinion would have being a better answer?

and keep in mind that you , have a better command of the English language (we hope), already know the questions, and have time to think of answers, and have an edit button.

Ok. get set.... ready......

GO.

Johnny, do you ever find anything not to defend about Thailand? Common, brother. What about all the other millions of people who speak primarily their first language but who speak a second language, like English, far better than she can? And, these are people without "advanced" degrees attained in second languages...

Anyway, the criticism of her should only make minimal mention of her lack of ability in English (especially because of her "advanced" degree from some random state in the US).

There are plenty of other areas on which we can focus our criticism of her. Not least is her inability to think and reason clearly (in Thai or English). She's largely a dunce. Think Sara Palin, for those who may have followed the last US elections. Thais criticise her Thai speaking and her lack of ability in logic and reasoning all the time. How would you defend her to them? Or would you, seeing as how they are Thai? Would you rather just agree with them despite their argument being counter to your typical defense of anything and everything Thai? A conundrum no doubt.

Be real, man.

Edited by PaullyW

snapback.pngHardenedSoul, on Today, 05:23 , said:The problem isn't her English; she has a decent enough vocabulary.

snapback.pngsirineou, on 28 minutes ago, said: Which questions did you think she did not know the answers to. and in your opinion what would you think would have being the correct answer?

HardenedSoul, , said: I didn't need to know the answers to realise she was winging it. Did you?

If she was " Winging it" then I think she did pretty good,

So I will ask the question again,

Which question did you think she was "Winging" and what in your opinion would have being a better answer?

and keep in mind that you , have a better command of the English language (we hope), already know the questions, and have time to think of answers, and have an edit button.

Ok. get set.... ready......

GO.

Oi ! Stop being a <Snip!>.

I'm neither an expert on Thailand nor the solutions to the challenges it faces so I don't know the answers to those questions.

I do, however, know when someone else doesn't know the answer either and waffles their way through.

Oh and there's no need to doubt my grasp of the English language. It's somewhat superior to yours as evidenced by my knowledge of correct comma placement

Edited by metisdead
: Expletive removed.