AirAsia Will Move To Don Mueang On Oct 1

webfact

I think its plus+, compared to A.A."s principal hub in kuala lumpar, don muang is 1st class,the tourists will do their domestic transfers with thai from swampy, A.A. can expand their base from D.M., as well as nok air doing short hop international flights creating cheaper fares to phom phen, luang prabang,vietnam, all within 90 minutes flight time, the traveller is the winner, personally I always need a couple of days R&R in banga's after that long flight from aus, & I prefer D.M. far less hassle.

cheersclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

After reading back thru comments,there"s some wingeing, moaning people on this site who dont look @ the positives, not to mention the boost in jobs for the locals, & more visitors.

Have Nok started flying to Viet Nam again?

I can't find anything on their website about it.

Edited by PattayaParent

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Rail Link from Suvarnabhumi to the Sukhumvit area, and Bell Bus service to Pattaya, has spoiled me.

Air Asia's announcement seems to neglect the poor transportation infrastructure to and from Don Mueang.

Does anyone know of any viable alternatives to taxis for going to the Sukhumvit area from Don Mueang?

I *&%#& hate Bangkok taxis!!!

The SARL worked out great for a short trip with a limited amount of baggage (as transferring to the BTS or MRT with anything more than a carry-on would be a major PITA). Unfortunately, all the airlines that were good for quick trips and weekend getaways are now no longer connected to the SARL. I could see this move being done AFTER extending the rail line to DM, or at the very least, after going at least one or two whole years without the entire airport flooding. Miracle Thailand!!

The champagne most be flowing at Thai Airways headquarters today they just got back a lot of business they lost to AA.

I usually fly AA because it saves me a few hours at BKK connecting to my domestic flight, from here on out I am only flying Thai when you count all the fees and all Thai is not that more expensive and adding transport cost and time between DMK and BKK and I am guessing I am not the only one not wanting to go cross town.

I know it will be inconvenient, but AA is still a LOT CHEAPER than Thai Airways.

Even allowing for the extra costs.

Just received an AA ad with a full range of international flights from DM

Anything new? Or same flights as always?

EDIT: I meant, any new destinations?

Edited by IsaanUSA

<p>

Just received an AA ad with a full range of international flights from DM

Anything new? Or same flights as always?

EDIT: I meant, any new destinations?

Japan is new ??

Edited by OzMick

The Rail Link from Suvarnabhumi to the Sukhumvit area, and Bell Bus service to Pattaya, has spoiled me.

Air Asia's announcement seems to neglect the poor transportation infrastructure to and from Don Mueang.

Does anyone know of any viable alternatives to taxis for going to the Sukhumvit area from Don Mueang?

I *&%#& hate Bangkok taxis!!!

to the contrary, DMK has to have more public transport options running past it than any other place in Bangkok bar Victory Monument!

Probably 20+ buses routes - many of which run to Mo chit to connect with the BTS;

Plenty of mini vans - again to Mo Chit or Victory Monument.

The main railway line heading to the north - pretty much hourly services at times if you want a slow journey into town.

My suggestion if you don't like taxis is to take a bus or van to Mo Chit then BTS it to Sukhumvit.

In the future, it will have the SRT Red line to Rangsit, the extended Airport Line and the Mo Chit to Saphan Mai BTS extension at the rear of the Airport.

Also, what many may not be aware of is that the Northern Bus Terminal at Mo Chit is going to be moved in a few years to a location just north of DMK. It will be linked with the SRT Red Line station.

Also, what many may not be aware of is that the Northern Bus Terminal at Mo Chit is going to be moved in a few years to a location just north of DMK.

What? I'm going to need to see a reputable link.

Also, what many may not be aware of is that the Northern Bus Terminal at Mo Chit is going to be moved in a few years to a location just north of DMK.

What? I'm going to need to see a reputable link.

So you won't be wanting a thai media link nor a thai govt link right? Do you qualify as being deserved of a reputable link? wink.png

OTP announced this back in 09, or maybe early 10, from memory and the MOT said there were attempting to secure the land. Of course this can all change but Mo Chit 2 is already busting at the seams.

If you think about it Mo Chit 2 is not so well placed as it creates major traffic jams in nearby major roads (Inner Ring road & Vihavadi-Rangsit); is not and will not be directly link by a metro (MRT, SRT Red Line nor BTS); and the whole Bang Sue railyards (on which MC 2 is sited) are eventually planned to be redeveloped.

It does make sense from that point of view to move the terminal out further north adjacent to the main northern highway and expressway and where it will reduce traffic in the inner north. This is what happened with the Southern Bus Terminal when it was moved from Pinklao - now it is so far out west it is almost in another province! (I'd expect land price will mean that the Eastern will move to Bang Na in the future as this has been canvassed by some)

It can also be connected to a metro, the much delayed SRT Dark red Line (technically a commuter/suburban line but hey who cares). The 2nd BTS Mo Chit extension - once the 1st extension is finally built to Saphan Mai - from Saphan Mai to Lam Lukka will also run sort of nearby. Of course, once the HSR lines are built some of the intercity bus pax numbers will reduce but there will still always be a need.

See if I can pull up some old articles/refs.

Edited by Lakegeneve
  • Like 1

Took me about 40 minutes by taxi to get from Suvarnabhumi to Don Meuang on the first day of Songkran this year. My gf warned me it would be impossible for me to make my connection, especially given the expected Songkran traffic. She was pleased to be very wrong. This was in the afternoon of a holiday when the roads are supposed to be congested. Not sure how it compares to a weekday rush-hour.

Anyway, for me, this is good news. AirAsia is my preferred carrier and now it will be easier to make internal connecting flights (AirAsia, Nok, Bangkok Air) :-)

Took me about 40 minutes by taxi to get from Suvarnabhumi to Don Meuang on the first day of Songkran this year. My gf warned me it would be impossible for me to make my connection, especially given the expected Songkran traffic. She was pleased to be very wrong. This was in the afternoon of a holiday when the roads are supposed to be congested. Not sure how it compares to a weekday rush-hour.

Anyway, for me, this is good news. AirAsia is my preferred carrier and now it will be easier to make internal connecting flights (AirAsia, Nok, Bangkok Air) :-)

Only if Bangkok Airways also decide, to switch operations to Don Muang, and piss-off their passengers trying to connect to an international long-haul flight.

I'm sure BKK Air will be happy to keep as much distance as possible between itself and the low cost carriers, if only to avoid price comparison in which they fare very badly.

From Samui, I can fly to BKK with BKK Air, or take a bus/ferry to the mainland and fly Surat - KUL - Gold Coast with AA for almost exactly the same price, and without enjoying the delights of Swampy.

• Like 1

rolleyes.gif It's rather amusing to read the complaints about the "inconvienence" of moving Air Asia operations from swampy to Don Mueang....simply because I can remember the very same complaints....not about Air Asia but rather other 'domestic" airline flights maybe....at the time domestic flights were changed from DM to swampy after it was built.

I can remember very well some people complaining that swampy was:

1. To far away from Bangkok (then meaning to far from Sukhumvit road or Silom road)

2. Difficult to get to....no "proper" transportation there. (no good roads was a common complaint then)

3. And "not convienent" for travelers. (usually that meant they couldn't wait until 60 minutes before their flight check-in time to leave for the airport).

Now the same complaints are being made about DM that then were made about swampy.

laugh.png

• Like 1

And no public transport betwen the 2 airports - yet again another ill thought out, stupid scheme

Taxis are cheap enough that the lack of public transportation should present no problem. I am sure that the cab drivers will appreciate the newly-found business.

What about wheelchair users?

Yawn. This is all too typical. We all knew this would eventually happen since the start when swampy was opened. Nok Air was the first to return because of the substandard conveniences for the tenants and lack of improvements of logistics. Swampy is a disaster, and the very points that were set out to improve air travel in Thailand over Don Muang never happened. It was only a matter of time that the jokers at the AOT would convince themselves that they finally f*cked up.

The key to many of Thailand's failures are lack of research and pre-planning. And it will never change. Sabai sabai. Thailand, The only place you can get rich from failures.

Who mentioned -wheelchairs, good point where in BKK or Pattaya etc do you find a suitable path to go down, without a wheel chair. Pedestrians are NOT catered for or rarely apart from S/Malls -Hotels transport rare, If you are handicapped in general This is not the place to be, UNLESS your choice is expensive then you will be o.k. apart from holiday beach areas (sand ramps) Ha. Please think about the unfortunate ones amongst us--But Thai do not cater for wheelchairs in their towns, footpaths are the last thing they lay. AOT-AIR ASIA and others get some more facilities for the infirm.

• Like 1

rolleyes.gif It's rather amusing to read the complaints about the "inconvienence" of moving Air Asia operations from swampy to Don Mueang....simply because I can remember the very same complaints....not about Air Asia but rather other 'domestic" airline flights maybe....at the time domestic flights were changed from DM to swampy after it was built.

I can remember very well some people complaining that swampy was:

1. To far away from Bangkok (then meaning to far from Sukhumvit road or Silom road)

2. Difficult to get to....no "proper" transportation there. (no good roads was a common complaint then)

3. And "not convienent" for travelers. (usually that meant they couldn't wait until 60 minutes before their flight check-in time to leave for the airport).

Now the same complaints are being made about DM that then were made about swampy.

laugh.png

Point being... that similar complaints, albeit possibly by a different affected group of airline users, are confirmed as valid because they have now occurred twice? tongue.png

• Like 1

The articles on expanding service to DM mention that they want to get 14 airlines to fly out of there.

We know Air Asia, Nok and another small airline are involved but who are the other dozen or so.

My particular interest is Bangkok Air as enjoy their full service, their lounges at Swampy and

the ease in taking the train back and forth from downtown.

The articles on expanding service to DM mention that they want to get 14 airlines to fly out of there.

We know Air Asia, Nok and another small airline are involved but who are the other dozen or so.

Page 4, post 100

would be great if air asia allowed baggage transfers at don muang on its flights from places like singapore to upcountry destinations like chiangmai. it's always been a drawback when connecting with air asia that you have to clear customs and immigration in bangkok just to check in again for an onward domestic flight.

They cancelled the Singapore to Chiang Mai Flights.

It would be good if they reinstate them.

Anyone knows whether there be schedules/timings changes for AA flights....i have many many many flights booked from Nov to next years...most are connecting flights...thanks..sad.png

I would like to know too.

Air Asia might let me know one day.

I only found out about on Thai Visa.sad.png

How about connection flights? Have to travel a few hours from 1 side of town to the other.

No more Air Asia for me.

I rather pay a bit more and travel from Suvarnabhumi (assuming flights are cheaper from Don Muang since they are going to pay much less for airport usage now).

Air Asia is a point to point cheapo carrier.

They also used to be very convenient. Not so anymore. Being cheap doesn't help much if one has to spend a lot more time and money going to the airport. There must be more to this than hits the news. Air Asia is one of the few budget airlines that have been willing to pay the cost of flying to the main airports. The rosy painted press releases are there for a reason, but I'm afraid the long term effect will be very negative for them.

You say that they used to be very convenient. I am sure that for every person who feels that the move is inconvenient there is another who feels it is convenient.

Probably all comes out in the wash.

In Kuala Lumpur they have there own Airport to use so no difference In Bangkok.

I think its plus+, compared to A.A."s principal hub in kuala lumpar, don muang is 1st class,the tourists will do their domestic transfers with thai from swampy, A.A. can expand their base from D.M., as well as nok air doing short hop international flights creating cheaper fares to phom phen, luang prabang,vietnam, all within 90 minutes flight time, the traveller is the winner, personally I always need a couple of days R&R in banga's after that long flight from aus, & I prefer D.M. far less hassle.

cheersclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

After reading back thru comments,there"s some wingeing, moaning people on this site who dont look @ the positives, not to mention the boost in jobs for the locals, & more visitors.

I guess i will find out in November

In to Swampy with Jetstar.

In Bangkok for a few days then up to Chiang Rai.

Will be interesting that trip.

Other trips will be different coming on International flights then domestic in DM.

The Amari hotel Don M will be very pleased with this news, may even get the escalators switched back on. I wonder if they will ever get the railway link finished to Don M all the supports have been there for what seems like several years now. I have no problems with an extra 40 mins on my journey either i often stay at the Amari anyway good for access to Future Park shopping (which is a fraction of the cost of shopping in Bangkok)

The Amari has changed since you probably remember it in DM's hey days.

Now, droves of smoking (hallways, lobby), yelling, pushing, and spitting Chinese tourist groups have turned this into a place to endure rather than enjoy.

I found the following on Air Asia Website.

It will help some who are looking for bus transport.

8. Will AirAsia be assisting guests in transferring between Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports?

Shuttle busses for guests to transfer between the two airports have been arranged by Airports of Thailand Plc. (AoT). Refer to http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/56

for more information on Bus Number 554 from Suvarnabhumi Airport to Don Mueang Airport. This service is provided from the Suvarnabhumi Bus Terminal at the Transport Center.

9. How far is Don Mueang airport from Bangkok City Center?

It is about 30 km (19 miles) north of downtown Bangkok. The easiest way to get downtown is by taxi, but be mindful that the journey can take anything from 45 minutes (non-peak hour traffic during the week and weekends) and 1-2 hours (peak hour). A cheaper option is to take a train from Don Mueang Train Station. Tickets to Hualamphong Train Station in central Bangkok cost 5 baht. There are also a number of public transport buses going by the airport, just follow the signs out toward the train station. Buses towards central Bangkok are at the airport's side of the road, so don't cross the highway. For further detail you can refer to the following link: http://wikitravel.org/en/Bangkok#Don_Muang_Airport

10. Will all of Thai AirAsia’s flights operate from Don Mueang Airport?

All (FD, AK, QZ) flights will operate from Don Mueang Airport.

• Like 1

would be great if air asia allowed baggage transfers at don muang on its flights from places like singapore to upcountry destinations like chiangmai. it's always been a drawback when connecting with air asia that you have to clear customs and immigration in bangkok just to check in again for an onward domestic flight.

They cancelled the Singapore to Chiang Mai Flights.

It would be good if they reinstate them.

Silkair is a good and not too expensive Singapore ChiangMai option sometimes.