Kidney Dialysis For Mil

Orac

My MiL has been hospitalised with kidney problems and the doctor has said it is stage 3 kidney disease with her kidneys operating at 8 per cent. He has recommended dialysis 8 times a month that they can carry out at the local ampur hospital but the cost will be 2000 baht a session. The family is very poor and there is no way they could afford this sort of treatment so I have agreed to pay.

I just wanted to check with the more knowledgeable members of the forum if this cost sounds reasonable for what is involved given that it is way out of the reach of the vast majority of the people in the area. Since it would be ongoing treatment there is no problem with me paying the hospital directly.

I cannot say for sure but it would seem possible. Treatments like this are sadly not generally available especially past certain ages and sadly decisions have to made., In the west the threshold for these decisions is generally much higher because of the wests general greater wealth.

Since you mentioned 'very poor' then she should qualify for the 30 Baht health card. Not sure though how much it will cover for dialysis.

Apparently she is covered on this for the testing and being in hospital on and off for the last few weeks but it does not cover dialysis we are being told.

I have researched this but I checked out Bangkok General Hospital and Bumungrad. I'm a stage 4 kidney failure patient so I have also looked into dialysis costs.

Obviously the hospitals I checked out are very expensive and it was much more than 2,000 baht per session. Also it depends what kind of dialysis she goes for. Is she going for hemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis?

Since you mentioned 'very poor' then she should qualify for the 30 Baht health card. Not sure though how much it will cover for dialysis.

Apparently she is covered on this for the testing and being in hospital on and off for the last few weeks but it does not cover dialysis we are being told.

I noticed this also. No insurance will cover you for dialysis. It's highly annoying and not fair. :(

I have researched this but I checked out Bangkok General Hospital and Bumungrad. I'm a stage 4 kidney failure patient so I have also looked into dialysis costs.

Obviously the hospitals I checked out are very expensive and it was much more than 2,000 baht per session. Also it depends what kind of dialysis she goes for. Is she going for hemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis?

A translation of the types of dialysis is a step too far at the moment - it took a couple of hours to work out what the problem was in the first place. I am guessing from my newly aquired internet knowledge it is hemodialysis though due to the frequency of treatments being suggested. I will probably take a trip up there at the weekend to find out more but it is a 10 hour drive.

A friend of the mrs goes for dialysis treatment for 2-3 hours twice a week, its free.

This is in the SamRong area of Bkk.

A friend of the mrs goes for dialysis treatment for 2-3 hours twice a week, its free.

thanks for the info on this. sadly events have overtaken us and my MiL passed away this morning.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

thanks for the info on this. sadly events have overtaken us and my MiL passed away this morning.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Sorry to hear that.