Does Anyone Else Find The Service Crap In Thailand Or Is It Just Me.

steven100

I'm just wondering if anyone else finds the hospitality industry & service here has gone down hill very fast in the past couple of years.

I go to many restaurants and eatery's every week and I can tell you that I have really noticed that the waiter or cook or cashier or bar staff are becoming more ignorant, lazy, unfriendly & rude day by day ....

I am not sure what it is but it's like when you go into a subway for a sandwich and you get a drink from the fridge ... you notice the drink is not cold ..in fact it's just below room temperature because the owner doesn't want to lower the setting as that costs money.

You simply advise the cashier that the drink isn't very cold ... so she looks at me like it's my fault. !

Same thing with ordering breakfast at the restaurant, I ask the waiter can the cook please make the eggs medium to hard ..not soft, not runny. The waiter finally understands after explaining it slowly and pointing to a picture ... however, the feeling I get is that the quick chat between the waiter and the cook was somehow sarcastic and the response is like you asked them to hand over there gold necklaces...

Same same when you go shopping at any reputable supermarket, they treat farang like an alien .. What ever happen to customer service in Thailand .. It doesn't exist !!

Thailand is really becoming a sad and sorry country from what I can see and this is a simple example of how thai's in the hospitality industry treat westerners ...

I consider myself to be fairly fair in being judgemental about anything as I always see two sides to any story but this is just so blatant and inexcusable.

I would be interested if others have had similar experiences....

whistling.gif

Edited by steven100

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just guessing, but IMO it's probably more your perception or perhaps frequenting more ordinary establishments as you've been here longer.

Another possibility is that ordinary Thai society are just getting more and more used to foreigners, and have simply realized we're not all that, not worthy of better treatment than they'd give another Thai.

I find the service here generally much better - assuming you speak Thai - than in grassroots-level places in Oz and Europe. If you've had exposure to Yankish levels of service you're greatly spoiled by the tipping system there - and yes I know that's controversial, let's please not go there.

Personally I like the fact that service staff feel free to be honest about their mood and feelings and don't have to bend over backwards to honor the holy customer just for the sake of management's profits. But I'm sure others will disagree 8-)

It is not just the OP. The service has indeed deteriorated especially in tourist-heavy area. I have received some of the worst service at MBK!

Still, I think it all boils down to staff training and probably how much they are paid by the hours. I have never gonna a bad service from Swensen.

Edited by hands22

Always been the same I think in my 10 years experience. Some very good, some almost as bad as western standards.

My guess is in the course of this thread you will be told;

1) Don't like it, go home

2) Thais are rubbish at everything

3) Change where you eat from the tourist places where the sex tourists hang out.

4) Learn to speak Thai

and a few other chestnuts.

You shouldnt have married a BG ?

which brings me neatly to a point of service in Thailand.....if service is so bad in Thailand how come there are so many males visiting Thailand on a regular basis to partake in the delights of Thailand...they must be getting good service as a lot of the gentlemen concerned are repeat customers

Yes - sorry missed that one off the list. Also, you should have married a bar girl and she would do the service for you.

Always been the same I think in my 10 years experience. Some very good, some almost as bad as western standards.

3) Change where you eat from the tourist places where the sex tourists hang out.

4) Learn to speak Thai

which brings me neatly to a point of service in Thailand.....if service is so bad in Thailand how come there are so many males visiting Thailand on a regular basis to partake in the delights of Thailand...they must be getting good service as a lot of the gentlemen concerned are repeat customers

Must be the great takeaways. :rolleyes:

Yes, the completely indifferent service is annoying; even my Thai wife gets pissed off with it. However, sometimes gems shine through with a really helpful smiling attitude, from the same venue with unresponsive staff, just weird.

4) Learn to speak Thai

I didn't hear the OP complaining about helmet polishing not up to standard. Edited by pipo1000
  • Like 1

4) Learn to speak Thai

I didn't hear the OP complaining about helmet polishing not up to standard.

This is my exact point...most males come here to receive a specific service, now if you are happy with the service received in that regard, then stop complaining that the hotel your in cant cook your eggs properly....

• Like 1

4) Learn to speak Thai

Must be the great takeaways. rolleyes.gif

They may even supersize...whistling.gif

4) Learn to speak Thai

Must be the great takeaways. rolleyes.gif

They may even supersize...whistling.gif

I love the 2-for-1 deals. :rolleyes:

Oh the disinterested look accompanied with the inevitable "soft shoe shuffle" (why cant they pick up their feet) gets to me .

But generally I am very fortunate to receive pretty good service. A smile goes a long way!

Edited by edwinclapham

4) Learn to speak Thai

I didn't hear the OP complaining about helmet polishing not up to standard.

This is my exact point...most males come here to receive a specific service, now if you are happy with the service received in that regard, then stop complaining that the hotel your in cant cook your eggs properly....

I would only hope so w00t.gif

I recently stayed at a 4 Star BKK Hotel and have to say the service was superb. In some ways it was far better than western 5 Star as it was unobtrusive and appeared totally natural, real service with a smile and even time to stop and say hello to guests.

I'm surprised that you seemed to have zoomed in on restaurants re customer service. I can't comment on eating places that are set up to cater for tourists as when I eat out, I tend to eat at Thai places. For the most part I find the service very good in Thai places, very friendly and a pleasant experience.

If you were talking about the big companies, like True Visions, the internet providers, the electric company etc, then yes, customer satisfaction is way down on the list of priorities. Customer service is abysmal.

• Like 2

Customer service has gotten way better than when I first came here. The English is much better and they understand a lot more about what we want than they did back then. thumbsup.gif

i find they speak better english then most parts of the UK !

• Like 2

4) Learn to speak Thai

The mod actually could have closed this thread down as of your post. Brilliant.

"This thread is now closed -- asked and answered."

4) Learn to speak Thai

It is still open

4) Learn to speak Thai

If you keep bleating on about moderation it will get closed down..tongue.png

Yes I do think services staffs are getting incredibly rude to farangs, but won't elaborate because everyone is going to jump at my throat and I am going to be accused of giving a bad image of THL to people outside the country

It depends.

In places that have I visited, some have been bending over backwards to ensure that I receive a good service and on RARE OCCASIONS I have been unfortunate enough to have been on the receiving end of a, couldn’t give a rat’s behind whether I was a customer or not, the either buy something or bugger off approach and those who have considered that as a farang, I should pay more.

Of course a lot depends on the customer’s attitude. For example if you expect a yes, Massa approach from the Thais, than you’re going to be disappointed and also it is a great mistake to expect the same sorts standards as in the West and must be able to make allowances for this.

Perhaps some are just not capable of adapting to Thai ways and attitudes, but from my experiences over the years, by having the right attitudes and making the most of what is available to us in Thailand, than Thai people will move mountains for you.

• Like 1