Do Taxi Drivers Ignore You When You Speak Thai?

BngkkB

I understand better then anyone else that I do not know that much Thai and I'm sure my tones are a bit off, but.....

I have lived in the same house for over 5 years so the one thing I know I can say correctly is my street number and name. I also know I can say turn left and turn right properly. When I get in a taxi by myself I don't have any problem at all, but when I get in a taxi with a Thai and say where to go the driver either pretends not to hear or start going another direction till the Thai person with me says something. I will enquire with the Thai that I'm with if I said it correctly and they always say yes it was very good.

I believe that when a taxi driver sees a Farang and a Thai togethet they are not expecting the Farang to speak any Thai at all? As I said before when I'm alone its not a problem.

Just curious if this happens to anyone else?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many taxi drivers have no clue where to go. The most extreme case I had once when a taxi driver did not know Mor Chit Bus terminal and had to ask passengers.

"Bus terminal" and "train station" seem to trip them up. "Hualompong train station" gets me a blank stare. Best to learn how to say those in Thai.

I had the same problem in Taxis, but accidentally found a fix to it. I was pissing about once talking Thai with a Welsh accent, and tried it on a taxi driver. ever since with Taxis Drivers I use a very broad Welsh accent (Swansea accent really). Works a charm and never had a problem since.

• Like 1

Also keep in mind that Thais that are used to listening to us mangle their language can understand what we're trying to say much more easily than a Thai with little such experience.

IMO, you've hit the nail on the head. I think most of us do not realize how terrible our pronunciation is and a Thai who is not used to speaking with foriegners can't guess what most of us are on about.

• Like 1

Many taxi drivers have no clue where to go. The most extreme case I had once when a taxi driver did not know Mor Chit Bus terminal and had to ask passengers.

A problem I have also experienced on a few occasions. Even with a Thai friend stating our destination, the driver nod,nods, so off we go. In truth he has no clue whre our destination is. Even stating well known areas: near Patpong or Robinson Silom brings no reaction. I guess that we were unlucky on those occasions, the driver must have been very new to Bangkok.

I had the same problem in Taxis, but accidentally found a fix to it. I was pissing about once talking Thai with a Welsh accent, and tried it on a taxi driver. ever since with Taxis Drivers I use a very broad Welsh accent (Swansea accent really). Works a charm and never had a problem since.

Where did you finish up though?

I will enquire with the Thai that I'm with if I said it correctly and they always say yes it was very good.

For some reason I can't quote your post from the quote button so maybe this will work.

I've noticed in the past Thais are very courteous people, and more often than not, if they don't understand non-Thais quite clearly, will nod their heads and say 'Yes, I understand' or 'You speak Thai well.' Just the culture, I guess (from my past experiences up to the present).

If I were you I'd start asking if they understood clearly (with a smile of course and maybe a couple of jokes if you can muster), and you'll more than likely get an honest answer. From there you can work on your Thai more.

I used to have the same problem, but when I politely asked the former, those around me really understood the tremendous effort I was putting forth in learning the Thai language. Now if there's anything that isn't clear, I'm told, and then assisted until it is right.

Good luck, Bn - hopefully you'll be speaking fluently in no time! :-)

Cardiff.

Actually anywhere I tell them to go assuming I know the way, or by chance, they do.

If I would be Taxi Driver in Germany and have one guest who speaks 100 % German and one Thai guy who can't pronounce one world half correct, but want to speak with me all the time, I would also focus on the German one.

Here I am happy that I don't need to communicate with a Taxi driver. They are very annoying.....

Cardiff.

Actually anywhere I tell them to go assuming I know the way, or by chance, they do.

only taking the GPS out of your pocket is doing the trick.....

I have a few opinions on the matter

1. Most foreigners living in Thailand and who speak some Thai, especially in BKK learn and speak proper Thai, while most taxi drivers are from Isaan and hardly educated, ie they can not understand half of real Thai

2. They intentionally pretend not to understand , so they can go longer way around, or take wrong turn etc , just to make the meter.

3. They do not even listen to what we are saying, because

a. they could not care less

b. a zombie who is in a trance

4. Yes, many of us get the tones wrong, but i am sure if you get "ข้าว" in the restaurant with a wrong tone, it does not a scientist to figure out you want rice NOT the news paper or "white" or "9", but that does require some brain activitywai.gif

1. Most foreigners living in Thailand and who speak some Thai, especially in BKK learn and speak proper Thai, while most taxi drivers are from Isaan and hardly educated, ie they can not understand half of real Thai

That's interesting. Most of the time I've noticed it's the other way around. The isaan can understand the thai but the thai can't understand the isaan. I have noticed, though, that speaking isaan definitely makes things more amicable. .

4. Yes, many of us get the tones wrong, but i am sure if you get "ข้าว" in the restaurant with a wrong tone, it does not a scientist to figure out you want rice NOT the news paper or "white" or "9", but that does require some brain activitywai.gif

I used to think the same, but have been proved otherwise countless times. The few times that it does happen now though, I'll run the word through all 5 pitches, and in dire cases, short and long vowels. My victim gets a laugh and so do I. Even more reason to try and grasp the 5, if one has the time to.

Edited by hookedondhamma

Happened to me regularly in Japan.

Shopkeepers had no idea what I was talking about, but my Japanese girlfriend afterwards confirmed that what I'd said was in perfect Japanese.

Look at the face, and the language is predetermined, as is any understanding.

But does it work in Swansea - bach!

• Like 1

I have found i only receive verbal acknowledgement from Taxi drivers when the did not understand the destination.

When they hear you loud and clear, they rarely say anything and give a barely perceptible nod or show no reaction at all.

Happened to me regularly in Japan.

Shopkeepers had no idea what I was talking about, but my Japanese girlfriend afterwards confirmed that what I'd said was in perfect Japanese.

Look at the face, and the language is predetermined, as is any understanding.

this used to happen frequently to me here, especially at noodle shops or small stands being worked by the elderly.

You would order, the old lady would look at you blankly yell something about farang and someone younger would appear. You would order again, in thai as before, and the "youth" would inform them you were actually speaking Thai the first time.

Armed with that new information, the old lady would suddenly be interested in conversation with you where previously she could not understand a thing you say.

hasnt happened to me in a while,m though it used to happen almost daily -- once upon a time.

I've noticed in the past Thais are very courteous people, and more often than not, if they don't understand non-Thais quite clearly, will nod their heads and say 'Yes, I understand' or 'You speak Thai well.'

Thanks. This explains why ladies call me a handsome man.

I've noticed in the past Thais are very courteous people, and more often than not, if they don't understand non-Thais quite clearly, will nod their heads and say 'Yes, I understand' or 'You speak Thai well.'

No that has something to do with your percieved wealth and their idea's of getting it from you. Usually this applies to a certain kind of girl often described as a bar girl.

Unless you are indeed handsome then i retract my remarks.

• Like 1

No that has something to do with your percieved wealth and their idea's of getting it from you. Usually this applies to a certain kind of girl often described as a bar girl.

Tell you the truth, I'm neither wealthy nor handsome. Guess they're just polite. smile.png

Tell you the truth, I'm neither wealthy nor handsome. Guess they're just polite. smile.png

You must have misread my post as i said perceived wealth. They think you are as they think most farangs have money.

Anyway back OT, i have no problems with taxi drivers when i speak Thai and my Thai is far from perfect. Also have no problem speaking with most Thais, though i do wonder how much they understand. I figure most of it because i get sensible replies back. But i am far from a native speaker and limited. But i do seem to be able to have converstations without thinking to much how to ask something.

I have the opposite experience; most of my longest conversations in Thai are with taxis drivers. Once they can tell that I can speak good basic Thai they always hit me with a bunch of questions about my home country, football and my family and life in Thailand, lasting the whole journey.

I wish the Thais where I live would give me more opportunity like this to practice my Thai!

The complete and utter <deleted> that permeates this forum sometimes is a joy to behold. laugh.png

Lol! Yeah, that guy is talking complete nonsense. Of course any foreigner can speak better Thai than someone from Isaan!!! :-P

So by this logic taxi drivers will only be able to understand where to go as long as an Isaan speaking passenger gets in their cab??