Future Of Thailand 'Depends On Whether People Put The Country First': Abhisit

webfact

Future of Thailand 'depends on whether people put the country first'

Kittipong Thavevong

The Nation

30184875-04_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- What Thailand will become when its democracy turns 100 - in 20 years time - depends largely on its people, who will have to think more for the country's sake and less for themselves in order to ensure its best possible future, opposition and Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva says.

Abhisit said that judging from developments today, there were three possible scenarios for Thailand when its democracy is 100 years old - a country torn by civil war, one that is bankrupted by overspending and "addictive" populist policies, or a democratic nation with a bright future after the ongoing divisive crisis is overcome.

"The future of Thailand depends on us. We can choose what kind of future we want for our country," he said during the charity talk show "2032: Looking into the Future", which featured the Democrat Party's two former prime ministers Abhisit Vejjajiva and Chuan Leekpai.

The sold-out event was held on Sunday night at the 800-seat M Theatre, on Phetchaburi Road, to mark the 80th anniversary of the end to absolute monarchy and the adoption of a constitutional monarchy. (According to Chuan, just five hours after the talk show was announced early last week, some 780 of the Bt1,000 tickets were reserved.)

The talk show was billed by the organisers - the pro-Democrat Blue Sky satellite-TV Channel - as the first by a pair of former Thai prime ministers. Part of the proceeds went to the Thai Red Cross.

During his talk, Abhisit asked his compatriots to look into the experiences of other countries such as Rwanda and Yugoslavia, where hatred and conflict between their people led to civil war and even the break-up of a nation.

"The current situation in Thailand is worrying. The conflict is getting volatile and severe," he said, pointing to attempts by unnamed politicians to instil hatred between different groups of people with the goal of dominating politics and controlling all major institutions of the country.

He warned that expensive populist policies would lead to citizens being over-dependent on the government and worse corruption. He noted that recent surveys showed more people tolerated corruption as long as they would benefit.

Abhisit also pointed out that in world history, economic collapses often led to some form of dictatorial rule, such as Adolf Hitler in Germany and Benito Mussolini in Italy.

He called on Thais to join forces - in a peaceful way - in a bid to prevent any selfish politician from "taking Thailand hostage" for his benefit. He said former United Nations secretary-general Kofi Annan, when in Thailand to advise on reconciliation efforts, noted that the Kingdom's crisis was not as complex as earlier thought. "The question is whether Thaksin wants to prioritise on his benefit or the country's interest," Abhisit quoted Annan as saying, referring to ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

Abhisit was preceded at the talk show by Chuan Leekpai, the former Democrat leader and prime minister. Chuan said that during the first 80 years of its democracy, Thailand made much progress in many areas, although many things still needed to be improved.

He said that during that period, the country experienced many crises, such as World War II, the Cold War, the threat of communism, and numerous political disputes that led to military coups.

Chuan blamed the country's political crisis on greedy and corrupt politicians who buy their way to power and view their political rivals as business competitors who deserve to be annihilated.

During their talk show, that lasted over two hours, the soft-spoken Chuan and the confident Abhisit presented their fans with many jokes although there were times when the jam-packed auditorium was quiet as the audience listened attentively.

Before the show, Abhisit got a superstar welcome from his fans, who mobbed him in front of the auditorium for a chance to get a photo with him or to take his photo. A group of women displayed LED signboards and iPad screens with messages: "Heart Abhisit" and "Love Mark" (Abhisit's nickname).

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-26

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's interesting to see him refer to Hitler and Mussolini, both of whom used the power of the military to impose their will on their own people. This on a day when it's reported that the politicians are courting the military high command again.

Surely he can see that being the beneficiary of a military coup is the ultimate anti democratic act? Hypocrite.

• Like 1

It's interesting to see him refer to Hitler and Mussolini, both of whom used the power of the military to impose their will on their own people. This on a day when it's reported that the politicians are courting the military high command again.

Surely he can see that being the beneficiary of a military coup is the ultimate anti democratic act? Hypocrite.

How did he benefit from a military coup? Surely that was Samak

• Like 1

How did he benefit from a military coup? Surely that was Samak

agreed!

Samak and his successor fudged up. If they had not violated the laws there would be no grounds to impeach them right? The fact is that BOTH of them messed it up and the Democrats were voted in.

I always think that Abhisit was the right guy at the wrong time.

Give him a chance to have a "normal" term, and I am sure he's going to do a great job.

That would necessitate him having the confidence of the electorate and actually obtaining enough seats to form a government.

I don't that will happen any time soon.

Pesky thing, this democracy notion. You actually have to win enough votes, unless of course you get the other parties eliminated.

Give him a chance to have a "normal" term, and I am sure he's going to do a great job.

That would necessitate him having the confidence of the electorate and actually obtaining enough seats to form a government.

Pesky thing, this democracy notion. You actually have to win enough votes, unless of course you get the other parties eliminated.

I partly agree with you GK, and I believe that this will happen..... Just a matter of time.

Much easier to bribe the voters with lies

If Thaksin hadn't poured BILLIONS of Baht into financing the red mob, the term would have been quite normal, actually.

• Like 1

Are you alluding to the "wipe out the Democrats" speech, GK?

• Like 2

Interesting to note that Abhisit referred to Rwanda, and the former Yugoslavia, when speaking of previous Civil Wars.

Those conflicts were the result of ethnic/ tribal tensions. Hopefully Thailand at least does not have those.

Democracy isnt perfect, nothing is, but does rely on a "fair go for all" concept, and yes this would include having the checks and balances in place so any "one" individual cannot steer personal agendas.

Well good luck with that.

Personally I think in 20 years time, it will be option 1 (the civil war), or option 2 (bankrupcy). Option 3 seems the least likely based on the way Thaksin, politicians and the general rural public seem to behave.

I just wish it would happen sooner, rather than later, just so we can get it over with and move on.

Mark makes a good PM, if DEM could just win an election for a change.

Pulling a fast one using army coup does not agrees well with Thai people.

If Thai voters continue to sell their votes to the highest bidder with the biggest promises, more fools they. They then get the democracy they deserve.

• Like 2

Pesky thing also is this law thing.

Even when you actually have more than enough votes to win, you still cheat and bribe other insignificant parties to run so that you will win an election you would have won anyway without cheating.... but yet you do so anyway and your party gets banned because of it.

Interesting to note that Abhisit referred to Rwanda, and the former Yugoslavia, when speaking of previous Civil Wars.

Those conflicts were the result of ethnic/ tribal tensions. Hopefully Thailand at least does not have those.

That depends on how you define it. Ethnic may be not, but there is definitely something akin to tribal here.

• Like 1

Really? You cannot have been aware of PAD rallies where there were many "Sons of China" banners, hateful racist language about certain ethnic groups - particularly those with darker skin colouring than the typical middle class Sino-Thai.Even now on the social media there is a great deal of ugly racist and class stereotyping.I'm not aware that once has Abhisit appealed to his supporters to end this.

Really? You cannot have been aware of PAD rallies where there were many "Sons of China" banners, hateful racist language about certain ethnic groups - particularly those with darker skin colouring than the typical middle class Sino-Thai.Even now on the social media there is a great deal of ugly racist and class stereotyping.I'm not aware that once has Abhisit appealed to his supporters to end this.

He doesn't have the same amount of control over them as others have over theirs.

Chavalit: Chinese

Chuan Chinese

Thaksin Chinese

Surayud

Samak Chinese

Somchai: Don't know

Abhisit Chinese

Yingluck Chinese

If I recall it right, it was "children of China, protect/help Thailand". In a way that means, even they are not the local ethnic they love the country and ALSO protect it like they were Thais.

Hateful speech about what ethnic did you hear???

I heard hateful speeches about people they sell their votes and against corruption. But that is hardly an ethnic.....

Chavalit: Chinese

Chuan Chinese

Thaksin Chinese

Surayud

Samak Chinese

Somchai: Don't know

Abhisit Chinese

Yingluck Chinese

If I recall it right, it was "children of China, protect/help Thailand". In a way that means, even they are not the local ethnic they love the country and ALSO protect it like they were Thais.

Hateful speech about what ethnic did you hear???

I heard hateful speeches about people they sell their votes and against corruption. But that is hardly an ethnic.....

And by any chance are you a committed and vocal supporter of PAD (nothing wrong with that)? However, if so, it may suggest to some that your opinion on the racist rhetoric deployed during PAD rallies might be taken with a pinch of the proverbial.

Edited by jayboy

When I ask anyone about Thailand, the first thing that comes on their lips is the issue of corruption.

Until they address this, then Thailand will always be a third world country. Unless there is the political will to eradicate this disease which is intrenched in the whole fabric of Thai society, then I cannot see how the country can move forward. The division between the 'haves' and the 'have nots' is also something that must be addressed. The issue on human rights and the way that it treats not just Thais, but every nationality needs to be put right. These changes are neccessary to allow the country move forward. Such change will of course take time, maybe even a whole generation, never-the-less I am still confident that one day Thailand will make the right choices.

• Like 1